Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

dsh posted:

I will be in Korea for all of May to get married and hang with the in-laws. What's the best way to get data access on my phone without using an egg or something like that? Fiancee is Korean citizen if that matters even though we live in the States. I'm looking for convenience, but the Verizon international plan is a huge rip.

You can buy a sim card at the airport or in the major shopping areas like Myeongdong. I bought one recently and it was maybe 30k for a couple hours talking time and 1-3gb data. It had a time limit of maybe 1 month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here
Go to any local telecom store (e.g. Olleh) with your wife and get a pay-as-you-go SIM chip with data service.

The airport phone shops sell tourist-focused plans which might be more expensive than the ones you can get in town. (though you'll need a Korean friend/family member to use their Korean ID to sign for the in-town ones).

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
With T-mobile you get unlimited text messages and 2G data which is good enough for something like kakao talk to communicate. Never had any problems with the service at all.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

ToxicToast posted:

With T-mobile you get unlimited text messages and 2G data which is good enough for something like kakao talk to communicate. Never had any problems with the service at all.

I used T-mobile in Europe and got LTE in the mountains of Albania. You can supplement it with a faster plan for $20, but it's probably good enough as is because they'll be using the Korean networks.

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009
Is there somewhere online that does flower delivers in Busan on valentines day?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Raphisonfire posted:

Or Miryang?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Raphisonfire posted:

She's supposed to give you chocolate on Valentine's Day, wait a month for White Day.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I imagine florist deliver is just like any other delivery there.
A grizzled dude on a motorbike that smells of cigarettes and gasoline maybe knocking and dropping it at the door.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Gildiss posted:

I imagine florist deliver is just like any other delivery there.
A grizzled dude on a motorbike that smells of cigarettes and gasoline maybe knocking and dropping it at the door.

Korean delivery men haven't gone electric yet?

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Raphisonfire posted:

Check at your post office. I was at mine yesterday and saw a sign with some guy holding flowers and assumed it was on flower delivery. idk i gave the sign a whopping 2-3 seconds of my time before struggling to decide which envelope is best for my US tax return (and thats a story for another day! )

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

VideoTapir posted:

Why would they, there's millions of sym scooters still in circulation. Go by any random scooter shop and see them all lined up.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Sym? Don't you mean Hyosung and Daelim?

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

VideoTapir posted:

AmbientParadox posted:

Check at your post office. I was at mine yesterday and saw a sign with some guy holding flowers and assumed it was on flower delivery. idk i gave the sign a whopping 2-3 seconds of my time before struggling to decide which envelope is best for my US tax return (and thats a story for another day! )

Neither have goons

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Thinking about visiting Korea in June to visit a friends in Chinhae and Seoul.

I've been to Seoul before for one day and Pyoungtaek a few times with the Navy, though I've spent one night ashore in Seoul. The only two places I've been to is Namsam tower and Seoul National Museum. Would not be opposed to going to the museum again at my own pace.

How much time should I reserve for Seoul? What are some must dos?

Budget:
-- $150/day including hotel (open to hostel but prefer hotel or Airbnb for some privacy)
-- is this enough? should I up it?

Interests:
  • Walking around observing architecture
  • coffee shops (i will be working 2-3 hours a day on a project during travel)
  • people watching
  • taking photos (have a mirrorless with some decent lenses)
  • food, both casual and 1-2 time splurge on fine dining (willing to spend more here for some "in Korea only" items)
  • 3-5 mile day hikes
  • figuring out the best way to get to Chinhae, when I'm there only gonna focus on hanging out with friend (prolly 2-3 days)

Things not interested in:
  • shopping
  • camping
  • political activity
  • expat scene

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Chinhae is a beautiful town, man. That's where the Naval Academy is. If you take the bus from a bus terminal there, which will probably cost about 15 000 KRW ~ 25 000 KRW, then you'll probably be sitting with a bunch of Navy guys the whole way. You can also take one of those slow rolling trains there and see the countryside all along the way, or you can probably fly to PUS and then take the train/bus from there.

As for your budget, I'm sure that that'll be more than enough. Typical meal at a diner or any hole in the wall usually goes for about 6 000 KRW ~ 7 000 KRW per person. Fast food and whatnot costs about the same.

As for what to do or see in Seoul, I don't know because it all depends on what you're into. People ask that all the time so I'm sure Google will turn up some good results. Probably Gwanghwamun and Insadong will be involved somehow, as they're the usual go-tos and are within walking distance from one another.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Insadong is where you'll probably want to do photography, most of the museums and the main palace are next door around Gwangwhamun, and there's a traditional hanok village in that area as well. Also, the highway converted into a stream and walking trail is on that area's southern end.

Any of the Seoul hikes will fit your criteria, bukhansan probably being the best to visit as a tourist. It's directly behind Gwangwhamun, but you enter from the other side. Just make sure you go on a weekday, when it won't be too crowded

There are a lot of cool cafes in the Insa area as well. Coffee Hanyakbang is a really cool one down an alley so narrow a larger man couldn't reach it.

You can do all that in either two or three days, depending on how tight you want to pack it. Maybe visit a traditional market (for the sights, not the shopping) or head up to Hyehwa area for a palace that's a bit cooler and less touristy if you have the time.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Love and Bugblatter thanks for the helpful responses.

Definitely going to spend more time checking out Chinhae and the hikes. The cafes sound like they're definitely up my alley.

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

If you're going to have a smartphone here, download Kakaotalk and join our chat. There might be lots of discussion about tacos, but if you have questions we can be quite helpful.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Yeah I will definitely get a SIM card.

Is AirBNB the best way to go? Also any recommended vendors/tips for SIM card and LTE service?

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
I make a lot of short term trips to Korea and I've actually had a lot of success with residence hotels. Try looking around for some of them, they can be pretty cheap even in the pricey parts of Seoul. The nice places will be clean, moderately well decorated, have a sort of smell two room or divided bed/living area setup and a modest little kitchenette.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There's a bunch of hostels in Hongdae that have cheap private rooms too.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Howard Phillips posted:

Yeah I will definitely get a SIM card.

Is AirBNB the best way to go? Also any recommended vendors/tips for SIM card and LTE service?

They all have good coverage and speed, KT has the best (only dedicated) English customer service if you are in the unlikely situation of needing it.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Impeachment ruling tomorrow. Get your popcorn ready.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Cousin of mine is in Seoul for a bit, is the Blue Star still open? Haven't been in Seoul for like four years now so I'm hoping I'm not sending him on a wild goose chase.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I'll be in Seoul for work for a couple of weeks starting soon. How do I get into the Kakotalk chat? I downloaded the app and made an account.

I'll be staying at a hotel in Doksan-dong to be close to where I'll be working. Is there anything interesting out there or do I need to get into the center of town?

I've been reading the suggestions you guys made for Howard Phillips which are perfect, I also like hikes and cafes.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I'll be in Seoul for work for a couple of weeks starting soon. How do I get into the Kakotalk chat? I downloaded the app and made an account.

I'll be staying at a hotel in Doksan-dong to be close to where I'll be working. Is there anything interesting out there or do I need to get into the center of town?

I've been reading the suggestions you guys made for Howard Phillips which are perfect, I also like hikes and cafes.

You make sure your account is set to be searchable by username, then post that username here.

I can't comment on Doksandong as I'm not familiar with that part of the city, someone else in chat might be.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Bugblatter posted:

You make sure your account is set to be searchable by username, then post that username here.

I can't comment on Doksandong as I'm not familiar with that part of the city, someone else in chat might be.

I can't seem to find the option to set searchable, but my account is riderrenton at gmail.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I can't seem to find the option to set searchable, but my account is riderrenton at gmail.

Not seeing you, feel free to add me, same user name and I'll get you in.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned
Glad to see the thread is active.

I'm in Seoul on business right now through Saturday night, and would love to make the most of my free evenings and ~half day Saturday before departing.

Also been reading the recommendations, but would love to join the group as well for more/to make nice. Also up to say hello/grab dinner/drinks in person with anyone so inclined.

Kakao Username is the same.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

bam thwok posted:

Glad to see the thread is active.

I'm in Seoul on business right now through Saturday night, and would love to make the most of my free evenings and ~half day Saturday before departing.

Also been reading the recommendations, but would love to join the group as well for more/to make nice. Also up to say hello/grab dinner/drinks in person with anyone so inclined.

Kakao Username is the same.

Can't find username bam thwok.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

Aesis posted:

Can't find username bam thwok.

Ah, neglected to create a talkID, I think. Try BamThwok with no space.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I also didn't realize I needed to separately create a talkID. Added as InjectionBob and friended nullscan.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

How do I visit Korea for free?

edit: i know English and I am very tall.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

tumor looking batty posted:

Date up

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

tumor looking batty posted:

have a degree from one of the 7 approved english speaking nations (US, CA, UK, SA, NZ, AUS, IR) and don't have any felonies and you can get a job

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

poly and open-minded posted:

have a degree from one of the 7 approved english speaking nations (US, CA, UK, SA, NZ, AUS, IR) and don't have any felonies and you can get a job

gently caress yeah.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

There's quite a bit of more detailed information about the different ESL options in the OP. But yeah, a bachelors, citizenship in the right country, a clean federal crime history, and a pulse are all that's needed.

The pulse might be negotiable.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You'll probably only be able to find a hagwon job nowadays so a lack of dignity/self-respect is also necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Grand Fromage posted:

You'll probably only be able to find a hagwon job nowadays so a lack of dignity/self-respect is also necessary.

This part is understated

edit--

Weather is garbage today. AQI says that the pollution levels all over Seoul are over 150, but when you look at the official government website for tracking air pollution it's almost all green. I blame China.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 31, 2017