Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Platystemon posted:

My understanding from the books was that basic would be an improvement for more than 80% of the world’s current population.

I think I would have preferred it if they showed basic as not all that bad, better than the average belter at least. Just really basic with no hope or sense that you have a life. Like others have said we've seen the "gleaming skyscrapers surrounded by hobo camps" dystopia a million times. Showing everyone on basic living standards akin to a student dorm lifestyle but with absolutely no hope of anything more is a much more interesting dystopia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Platystemon posted:

My understanding from the books was that basic would be an improvement for more than 80% of the world’s current population.

Yes.

Globally, the median annual household income is a hair under $3000. A homeless person living under a bridge in America probably makes more than that.

Imagine how utterly impoverished most of the world has to be for that to be the *median*. There are something like 3/4ths of a billion people living on less than $1.90 per day.

Now realize how much worse it was even 30 years ago:

http://ourworldindata.org/grapher/share-of-the-population-living-in-extreme-poverty

Baronjutter posted:

Showing everyone on basic living standards akin to a student dorm lifestyle but with absolutely no hope of anything more is a much more interesting dystopia.

But again, it's not a student dorm lifestyle. A student dorm lifestyle runs to the tens of thousands of dollars per year. It's much worse than that. Take a student dorm, take away anyone's individualized choices of luxury, anything that's not strictly functional, and give it a really, really lovely cafeteria.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Goddamn. You guys saw a few dozen people in one limited area of future NYC which is just one tiny part of future Earth and jump to the conclusion that that definitely represents the entire scope of the 99% on that fictional future Earth.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Toast Museum posted:

Re: The Churn, It's been a minute, so maybe I'm misremembering, but I thought Amos's ticket out was such an expense because it was originally his boss's escape plan, complete with a bunch of forged identifying information that a crime boss would need to avoid detection.

:ssh: His boss's name is Amos, the Amos we know and love is Timothy/Timmy, so I'm technically still right :colbert:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Longbaugh01 posted:

Goddamn. You guys saw a few dozen people in one limited area of future NYC which is just one tiny part of future Earth and jump to the conclusion that that definitely represents the entire scope of the 99% on that fictional future Earth.

If scify has taught me anything planets only have 1 city that entirely represent the conditions on the entire planet.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Baronjutter posted:

If scify has taught me anything planets only have 1 city that entirely represent the conditions on the entire planet.

Lol. True enough. You got me there. :v:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Boing posted:

Are we sure that the people we saw on Earth were on basic, rather than some hobos living under a bridge that Bobby found by going to the wrong neighbourhood?

It seemed to me like these were the people living outside the system, which would explain the loudspeaker advertising basic, trying to convince people to sign up

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I think New York, the epicenter of the global UN government, would be an upper tier example of basic.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Longbaugh01 posted:

Lol. True enough. You got me there. :v:

If this was starwars and this was all we've seen of earth there'd be a huge wookipedia article about :
-All of earth's poor live under highway bridges, their primary economy is washing plastic containers. This is what they all do and here's a very long reason explaining why.
-That drug addict who didn't help bobbie? Actually that's Mao's long lost cousin and boy does he have a backstory that intertwines somehow with all the main characters.
-That dude who did help bobbie? Yeah, he pretty much is the reason the protomolecule was even discovered.
-The island city of New York is earth's capital and main city, the rest of the planet is also smaller island cities because this is the biome of earth. They all have high walls and gray sand beaches and are islands, all of them.
-The only non-human lifeform on earth is the See-Gull, spy drones are all inspired by this all seeing bird.
-The See-Gull bobbie saw from her window actually had subtle protomolecule powers which it used to create a gravity field which caused her to fall. This was important because if bobbie had not fallen she would have been spotted by Mars security during her escape attempt. This powerful bird has a extremely long backstory and was key to Avasarala's rise to power.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I mean, we've seen Utah also.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Baronjutter posted:

If this was starwars and this was all we've seen of earth there'd be a huge wookipedia article about :
-All of earth's poor live under highway bridges, their primary economy is washing plastic containers. This is what they all do and here's a very long reason explaining why.
-That drug addict who didn't help bobbie? Actually that's Mao's long lost cousin and boy does he have a backstory that intertwines somehow with all the main characters.
-That dude who did help bobbie? Yeah, he pretty much is the reason the protomolecule was even discovered.
-The island city of New York is earth's capital and main city, the rest of the planet is also smaller island cities because this is the biome of earth. They all have high walls and gray sand beaches and are islands, all of them.
-The only non-human lifeform on earth is the See-Gull, spy drones are all inspired by this all seeing bird.
-The See-Gull bobbie saw from her window actually had subtle protomolecule powers which it used to create a gravity field which caused her to fall. This was important because if bobbie had not fallen she would have been spotted by Mars security during her escape attempt. This powerful bird has a extremely long backstory and was key to Avasarala's rise to power.

:five: I wish I could've made this post. The Star Wars EU deserves as much piss taking as possible. That one Mormon who talked to Miller on that transport ship was a plant put there by Mao and is actually a clone of Mao's long lost drug addicted cousin, and his real name is Brewce Endersin. He is the greatest secret agent specializing in talking to bitter people and instilling hope in them while they're being transported from planet to planet.

vermin fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 30, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Even if people living like that were possible in this universe, it doesn't make any sense for them to live like that in what seems to be the capital of Earth, especially with how close it all was to where Bobbie was. If I were the UNN, I would make sure that no hobos were living around the UNN building. You don't want diplomats coming from Mars and wherever and seeing that you can't even provide for your own people. Even North Korea makes sure the people living in Pyongyang look like well fed normal people.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cojawfee posted:

Even if people living like that were possible in this universe, it doesn't make any sense for them to live like that in what seems to be the capital of Earth, especially with how close it all was to where Bobbie was. If I were the UNN, I would make sure that no hobos were living around the UNN building. You don't want diplomats coming from Mars and wherever and seeing that you can't even provide for your own people. Even North Korea makes sure the people living in Pyongyang look like well fed normal people.

Have you been to DC? It's been booming recently but historically it had horrible poverty issues. The moment you got away from the capital area there were serious segregated slums and desperate poverty.

override367
Apr 29, 2013
I got the impression the hobos were part of an underground economy, hence barter and scrip (nobody was taxing anything going on there) and not representative of people on basic

who lives in all those residential buildings we saw an episode ago in the large shot of the area if everyone's a hobo

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the hobo camp is just there to show Bobbie that not all Earthers are fat and happy layabouts. not much more to it than that. pointless to extrapolate.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

pointless extrapolation is the entire point of discussing tv on the internet

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Baronjutter posted:

Have you been to DC? It's been booming recently but historically it had horrible poverty issues. The moment you got away from the capital area there were serious segregated slums and desperate poverty.

Yeah, as someone who grew up in D.C. in the 80s and 90s, this was very true during that period. One of the most dangerous areas was along North Capitol Street within full view of the Capitol Building.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Longbaugh01 posted:

Yeah, as someone who grew up in D.C. in the 80s and 90s, this was very true during that period. One of the most dangerous areas was along North Capitol Street within full view of the Capitol Building.

Yeah but you also had leaded fuel back then.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Having to drink sewer water seems a bit extreme. Also he mentioned people getting sick from the drive plant nearby. Interesting that there's still major heavy industry on earth, double interesting that it's for making spaceships. Why wouldn't this all be done in orbit?

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Bare survival necessities and no money strikes me as a horrible way to do government assistance. How demoralizing would it be to browse your throttled internet and constantly see ads for goods and services meant for The Better Half of the population that were able to get jobs (still a whole fifteen billion people in the books, I think), that you can never hope to be able to afford for yourself?

VVVV EDIT: Well, if the poors get a whole separate network, I wonder what they'd put on it to begin with.

A good poster fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 30, 2017

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

But why would advertisers buy ads on the lovely internet?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
The state-religion should be an ascetic sex cult. That'd keep consumption and unrest down.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Speaking of fitting 30,000,000,000 on one planet this video was pretty interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_iNRGac_uM

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Apparently Adam Savage is an expanse "superfan" and has some cameo coming up?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Tested just posted a video of him going through makeup.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
He had already done a video previously about expanse costumes.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

vermin posted:

Speaking of fitting 30,000,000,000 on one planet this video was pretty interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_iNRGac_uM

Trigger warning, that video recognizes the state of Palestine.

Here's a palate cleanser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtB2ZfVuLhY

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Longbaugh01 posted:

He had already done a video previously about expanse costumes.

Most badass costume had be season 1 one Avasarala had when she visited Holden's family.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The depiction of the homeless in this episode was probably more about underlining the theme of class conflict in the show. Up until now Earth has been portrayed mostly through the eyes of Avasarala who has grown up with a lot of economic privileges, and now we're seeing the other side of Earth where people actually look even more poorly treated that the belters are. This also sort of serves as a wake up call to Bobbie who has now been forced to actually look at how misguided her lazy Earther rhetoric was in the previous episode.

None of this stuff is hard for me to believe to be honest, but we do live in a world where people thought Elysium was unrealistic because the rich would never, ever make healthcare unavailable to the people who can't afford it.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
[quote="Gorn
None of this stuff is hard for me to believe to be honest, but we do live in a world where people thought Elysium was unrealistic because the rich would never, ever decline to be threatened with violence to take their stuff away.
[/quote]

:agreed:

Have these people never heard of the American revolution? Space George Washington didn't ask for Meso-American Hessians to be imported into his land to oppress him, you've got to expect him to say "no, thanks" and peacefully separate. The only moral choice is to let him.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Gorn Myson posted:

None of this stuff is hard for me to believe to be honest, but we do live in a world where people thought Elysium was unrealistic because the rich would never, ever decline to be threatened with violence to take their stuff away.

Have these people never heard of the American revolution? Space George Washington didn't ask for Meso-American Hessians to be imported into his land to oppress him, you've got to expect him to say "no, thanks" and peacefully separate. The only moral choice is to let him.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

what

Are you ok

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
When I see people saying that Basic is actually just fine to live on, I assume they've never seen what things like welfare cards and regulation of what people can and can't buy and what communities can and can't do will do to people.

Come on, there's people in this thread saying that they mustn't be on Basic because they're "bartering" (??) or "asking for money" (????). Next to the point that, surely, corporate overlords and the moneyed elite would lobby for an increase to Basic (?????), that's some of the weirder things people are saying in this thread.

Am I the only person who's seen people bartering for cash and things outside a supermarket simply because their welfare card can only be used on specific food? Has no one here used a tightly-regulated corporate Internet? What, do you think the free clothing or free apartments they provide are actually good?

That's the difference between surviving and living, which I'm surprised has to be illustrated. People on Basic will survive - they won't be dying in the streets, for the most part. But they certainly won't be living. If you want to live, like, enjoy your life and decide things for yourself, people turn to the underworld.

edit: Surviving is taking care of your physical needs - food, water, sleep, medicine. Living is taking care of your mental and emotional needs. Everything we see about Basic is that it does nothing for that latter category, which is why crime flourishes in certain areas and why people are so willing to barter for real money.

As to the unrest thing - what, you think you could have a successful armed revolution today? You think you could do it two-hundred years in the future where peacekeeping technology has become more militarised (hello, The Churn)? What're hungry, dissatisfied people going to do against people with power armor, military drones, automatic rifles that fire less-than-lethal ammo, and whatever else the UN might have on hand?

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 31, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I mean obviously corporate overlords wouldn't lobby for an increase to it, but it would definitely be in both their and the government's interest for people to be purchasing from them than using grey markets.

It's realistic in that it's an entirely unsustainable system, but it's an entirely unsustainable system.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They would argue that any money given to the basics to spend on things would just be taken from their own pockets by the government and given back to them by the basics.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Which is still better than having money taken from their pockets and not given back.

It's why paying people wages is better than having slaves. It creates demand.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 31, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I think it should also be clarified for the thread, too, that it is Basic Assistance and not basic income.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

They would argue that any money given to the basics to spend on things would just be taken from their own pockets by the government and given back to them by the basics.

Food stamps are excellent economic stimulus and you're basically describing food stamps.

Edit: Relevant chart:

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 31, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm not saying I agree with the post I made, that's just an argument someone with lots of money who doesn't want to pay taxes would make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Then it's a question of elite culture.

Do they want more from society than it merely being as far beneath them as possible?

I mean, that's the kind of nonsense argument you make when all you care about is conveyed meaning, meaning you can't very well admit to ("eat the poor").

• Locked thread