Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

LOL gently caress I'm sorry that was mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

MinorInconvenience posted:

It is a problem. Fortunately, CIG is trying to hire someone just like that: https://cloudimperiumgames.com/jobs/224-Senior-Game-AI-Programmer. Maybe, just maybe, once they actually hire someone to do the job, they will get that AI working. Any day now.

Speaking of the CIG jobs board--is it normal to have postings for 50 open jobs? If CIG is 250-300 employees, that's over 15% of its workforce.

I still don't believe that number, considering they were subcontracting poo poo out. That has to be a third support staff.

Colostomy Bag posted:

This is a good question. To be honest, at the US fed level this is really small potatoes. Sure, 150 million is a lot of money. But look what it really takes to cause hot fed action and combine the fact the citizens are spread all over the globe.

Company is currently viable and well on the way to supporting it's goal of releasing a game, right up until the point where it isn't, then it becomes a possible scheme to defraud people. There's also the point that you won't be privy to the legal communications until it becomes a matter of public record.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ManofManyAliases posted:

Private investors? Sure. Investors as the term applies to SEC reg? No.

TIL that private investors aren't stakeholders.

Wiz posted:

gently caress, sorry. :( I wish I knew anything about game development.

It's okay, one of these days you'll make a real game. In the interim I highly suggest making the next patch revamp the ground game so it's actually a FPS called "Blorg Marine".

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

ManofManyAliases posted:

I genuinely thought I was in the Stellaris thread and my mind was blown when I saw you posting. I thought you'd actually started to read the forums instead of obsessing over one specific thread.

Maybe next time eh?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

FPS called "Blorg Marine".

Would buy.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

JugbandDude posted:

Whenever Wiz comes to the thread to drop his owns, he just reminds me how bad I want Utopia and Banks.

The sickening and heartbreaking truth of hype.

I have not been able to play Stellaris in months because of how good and different Banks/Utopia is.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

AP posted:

Option 1, Yesterday somebody spent $15,000 on a pc game that will never be released.

or

Option 2, CIG is faking the funding tracker so people who've already spent thousands on a pc game, that will never be released, don't start to figure out that the cash is running out.

I neglect to see the problem with CIG spending virtual cash on virtual goods for a virtual game.

This is the future, you know.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MinorInconvenience posted:

I have not been able to play Stellaris in months because of how good and different Banks/Utopia is.

One of my favorite things about Paradox games is how after each major patch I can come by and experience a game that's awesome and yet slightly different enough to justify replaying and paying for the DLC.

It's very insidious. I love it.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Yea, I gotta admit I've also been pretty much 'saving up my essence' as they say when it comes to playing Stellaris. My last megagame, which taught me a lot, finished like...2 or 3 months ago. And I'm already fretting of getting back in that addicted tempo of 1 year ago, when the game came out. :smith:

Still...I can become robits now! Not even Star Citizen hyped up that, I think.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

One of my favorite things about Paradox games is how after each major patch I can come by and experience a game that's awesome and yet slightly different enough to justify replaying and paying for the DLC.

Sorry, but paying for DLC is always wrong and you're a moron that is helping big publishers destroy gaming with their greed. (Pays 80 bucks for 2 packs of torpedoes)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Samizdata posted:

I neglect to see the problem with CIG spending virtual cash on virtual goods for a virtual game.

What CIG has done is basically done the financial instrument of a derivative in jpeg form.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Samizdata posted:

It's a self-sustaining economy. You take money from ship sales, buy ships from yourself, park your newly purchased ships in an imaginary parking lot, use the newly acquired cash from said ship sale to purchase more ships, and so on and so forth until the game is complete! It's like printing money! Every 15k spike is CIG injecting 15k back into the project! I think. I'm trying to figure out how Dave and Buster's do it.

So every 15k spike is another complete set of ships dumped into the ship economy and the only people that would suffer would be the people who have who have investment ships that they will be hoping to sell in an over-saturated marketplace.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Star citizen bingo card:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_buzzwords

(Does not contain 'Fidelity' though)

Wiz posted:

Just one week! We posted the full patch notes today, in case you missed it.

:awesome:

I really need to play over the weekend, my race of bird people was about to start a war :D

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I think Paradox should publicly thank Chris Roberts for saving PC gaming

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

uhm, private investors are STILL subject to SEC regulations. And it doesn't matter if the company is public or not. The only difference being, private placement (e.g. like Boocha et al) don't have some protections by law. Same as with going to a bank with FDIC insured deposits, as opposed to one without it.

What are you smoking?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I think Paradox should publicly thank Chris Roberts for saving PC gaming

Blizzard too.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

D_Smart posted:

What are you smoking?

Oregano, obviously.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

uhm, private investors are STILL subject to SEC regulations. And it doesn't matter if the company is public or not. The only difference being, private placement (e.g. like Boocha et al) don't have some protections by law. Same as with going to a bank with FDIC insured deposits, as opposed to one without it.

What are you smoking?

Dude, for securities, not for a private game company. CIG is not the type of issuer you think they are. They're not doing partnership interests nor do they have an interest in equity security - it's too costly for a small company. Please stop trying so hard to be right or relevant.

ManofManyAliases fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 30, 2017

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Just loving kiss already

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Just loving kiss already

I'm just tired of Derek's GoogleFu'. Derek: yes people can have private investments, and yes depending on the type of security and the amount of security, they can be subject to reg d pp rules. That's not the case with CIG. CIG was likely largely funded on private investment, loan, angel and crowdsourced funds. Partnership deals were already established when they established the corporate structure during incorporation.

ManofManyAliases fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 30, 2017

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
This might not be :pgabz: hot pvp action, but it's hot action nonethless.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
hello

• supposedly CIG working on something "exceptional" for E3
  • Roberts has been MIA the majority of the year
  • many design and gameplay changes are stalled due to lack of his approval
  • since leads left or were fired, almost all decisions sit with Roberts
  • CIG is using unpaid interns to help code and complete artwork
  • several backers have been selected to help the design team
  • special select backers were recently invited for an "appreciation" meeting/dinner
  • unsure what the criteria was, but one backer had purchased over $100,000 worth of ships
  • planetary module still coming along
  • loading screen transition still in
  • atmo fighting "in discussion"
  • Star Marine a failure, Roberts unhappy with it entirely
  • Roberts "imagined a different game" and blame devs that left for problems
  • top execs blame recent bad funding on backers unwilling to help more
  • "It's like giving a cat an Easy-Bake oven and expecting it to cater the Royal Wedding" on current tools
  • "Bullies playing with the nerdy kids toys" on new mocap

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

TheAgent posted:

hello

• Roberts has been MIA the majority of the year
  • many design and gameplay changes are stalled due to lack of his approval
  • since leads left or were fired, almost all decisions sit with Roberts
  • CIG is using unpaid interns to help code and complete artwork
  • several backers have been selected to help the design team
  • special select backers were recently invited for an "appreciation" meeting/dinner
  • unsure what the criteria was, but one backer had purchased over $100,000 worth of ships
  • planetary module still coming along
  • loading screen transition still in
  • atmo fighting "in discussion"
  • Star Marine a failure, Roberts unhappy with it entirely
  • Roberts "imagined a different game" and blame devs that left for problems
  • top execs blame recent bad funding on backers unwilling to help more
  • "It's like giving a cat an Easy-Bake oven and expecting it to cater the Royal Wedding" on current tools
  • "Bullies playing with the nerdy kids toys" on new local

:3:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

I'm just tired of Derek's GoogleFu'. Derek: yes people can have private investments, and yes depending on the type of security and the amount of security, they can be subject to reg d pp rules. That's not the case with CIG. CIG was likely largely funded on private investment, loan, angel and crowdsourced funds. Partnership deals were already established when they established the corporate structure during incorporation.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

Disclaimer : None of the above means CIG are not dodgy as gently caress and not actively scamming the nuts off everyone.

*Waits to see Moma and DS rounding third base and moving swiftly and painfully into a home run, Moma is screaming and bound*

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
hello

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

MedicineHut posted:

WTF, so just let me get this straight. SC just moves your avatar somewhere else and changes the control focus to the ship? So in theory someone else could go and visit your avatar while you control the ship somewhere else?

Found a nice video of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRLvMTgqxaM&t=82s

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Hello!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

quote:

supposedly CIG working on something "exceptional" for E3

An appearance?

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

TheAgent posted:

hello

Holy poo poo! Two sandworms!!

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

Drunk Theory posted:

Holy poo poo! Two sandworms!!

Dudududu-double sandWOORRMS!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ManofManyAliases posted:

Nice GoogleFu, fully comparable to Derek's

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

TheAgent posted:

hello

Criteria is money. :)

Being vocal about "naysayers" and "malcontents" on their forums probably also helps. :D

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

:popeye:

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Fatkraken posted:

Like, how does this even happen? On a coding level I mean. So in a game live red dead, when you or an NPC/Mob ends up all deformed and weird it's because the game applied an animation intended for one skeleton the wrong model and had to twist everything around to make it all work, and you end up with birdmen and deersnakes and it's weird but at least you can see how it happened. but the PU doesn't HAVE any animals or weird shaped character models or mobs, so obviously something else is going on.

I'm pretty confident ships and players use the same skeleton. Character customization was being built with the ship's item 2.0 code until they realized that won't work about a month ago.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Me too, but it also made me find the current version of Stellaris lacking--how can I play without being able to have my psychically-ascended Groots' grind up filthy humans, elves and fox-people for plant-food?

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

matt2hews posted:

Dudududu-double sandWOORRMS!

sandworms living inside asteroids to make mining more fun

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
Female avatars

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

MilesK posted:

I'm pretty confident ships and players use the same skeleton. Character customization was being built with the ship's item 2.0 code until they realized that won't work about a month ago.

It's all going to be fine, though. It doesn't matter if the underlying code base is completely broken and founded on unsound principles. You just keep layering in more code and eventually it all starts working. Sandworms 2.0 for 3.0, networking 3.0 for 4.0, subsumption AI will finish coding the game from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
It sure is something how Roberts makes all the decisions but none of the failures are ever his fault. Strong leadership, right there.