Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The OST doesn't have an English cut of Emil's Shop, so I made my own with the ripped version of the soundtrack.

https://clyp.it/ffftkfys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

The OST doesn't have an English cut of Emil's Shop, so I made my own with the ripped version of the soundtrack.

Thanks, I assume that happened due to licensing reasons with the english voice actor anyhow.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
OK y'all, I need you to drop a bomb on me.

If I missed Emil's Memories during route A, I'm hosed for completing the questline in C, aren't I?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

You can do it in Route B.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SpaceDrake posted:

OK y'all, I need you to drop a bomb on me.

If I missed Emil's Memories during route A, I'm hosed for completing the questline in C, aren't I?

You can do it in A or B but after that I think you have to wait until you unlock chapter select.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

ChaosArgate posted:

This is the best thing that has ever happened to me

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

ChaosArgate posted:

You can do it in Route B.

It *never* came up in Route B, which weirded me out. I'm in C now, and wondering if I locked myself out of what seems to be one of the cooler sidequests.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

SpaceDrake posted:

It *never* came up in Route B, which weirded me out. I'm in C now, and wondering if I locked myself out of what seems to be one of the cooler sidequests.

All you had to do was talk to Emil again before going back to restart the quest.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

SpaceDrake posted:

The sequence of triggers is a bit specific - i think he only lets you interact with the first flower in the shopping center if you shot/shopped at him prior and he gave you the "way below" line. I also ramped past the quest on ABC, but it was pretty trivial to cruise through with chapter select because the map just shows you where the flowers are. Just make sure to collect the flooded city one without going past the Grün point of no return.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

SpaceDrake posted:

You need to talk to Emil when he's driving around again on a new route before you will unlock the prompt at the specific Lunar Tear that starts the quest. I had exactly the same issue in route B on account of not finishing the quest entirely on route A.

Remember, though, you're locked out of nothing and if you continue through route C you will eventually be able to go back and get the quest unlocked.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Tarezax posted:

All you had to do was talk to Emil again before going back to restart the quest.

Weirdly, he didn't ever show up for me in B. I should've searched him out, but I was quite into the route by then.

Anyway hopefully I'm not totally hosed but we'll see, as I know a decent bit of side content is gated behind the quest.

Route C's beginning is amazing, by the way, even if the desert snake boss was... confusing? I felt like I was getting my rear end kicked then I won.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Meiteron posted:

You need to talk to Emil when he's driving around again on a new route before you will unlock the prompt at the specific Lunar Tear that starts the quest. I had exactly the same issue in route B on account of not finishing the quest entirely on route A.

Remember, though, you're locked out of nothing and if you continue through route C you will eventually be able to go back and get the quest unlocked.

Ahhhh, okay, this all makes sense.

Anyway I'm guessing I'll know what you guys mean when you say "chapter select"? I take it it's not this alternating between 9S and A2 stuff.

edit: I managed to double post because I doubted how fast the thread moves, which is usually pretty fast.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

SpaceDrake posted:

Ahhhh, okay, this all makes sense.

Anyway I'm guessing I'll know what you guys mean when you say "chapter select"? I take it it's not this alternating between 9S and A2 stuff.

edit: I managed to double post because I doubted how fast the thread moves, which is usually pretty fast.

It will be exceedingly obvious and is indeed how you will get to further main endings.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Game Mechanics wise, the game never really traps you or goes "gotcha!". It always makes things exceedingly clear, though i guess it's your choice whether you listen to it / think it's important ("THIS GAME DOESN'T AUTO-SAVE").
The few things that it doesn't really spell out for you is what the diamond chips mean and when you're about to get a joke ending. The latter one can be remedied by remembering NO AUTO-SAVES.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

HenryEx posted:

Game Mechanics wise, the game never really traps you or goes "gotcha!". It always makes things exceedingly clear, though i guess it's your choice whether you listen to it / think it's important ("THIS GAME DOESN'T AUTO-SAVE").
The few things that it doesn't really spell out for you is what the diamond chips mean and when you're about to get a joke ending. The latter one can be remedied by remembering NO AUTO-SAVES.

*most* Of the joke endings at least have one of the Pods go "Proposal: Yo motherfucker maybe turn back..."

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

HenryEx posted:

Game Mechanics wise, the game never really traps you or goes "gotcha!".

For the most part. Don't be like me on route A and only do the first two speed star races, get frustrated, say "I'll come back to this" and then start the missile quest, or like other people have done with doing most of the half-wit inventor but not all of it and then having to pay him out from scratch again. The "If you have anything to do for YoRHa you should worry about that first" line makes a lot of sense in hindsight, though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

HenryEx posted:

It doesn't make everything clear even on a mechanical level. It barely tells you jack poo poo about chips and why you should use them, especially when hard is balanced on you getting a +6-8 Melee/Ranged def chip installed depending on what you're doing.

That's lead to more than one person whining about how unfair Hard is when it's perfectly manageable if you know what you're doing. Definitely should have done a better job of telling you to play this ARPG like an RPG.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

The "If you have anything to do for YoRHa you should worry about that first" line makes a lot of sense in hindsight, though.

It does, but hindsight is too late and the labelling of a point of no return should be more emphasised, imo.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Especially because every quest in the resistance camp starts with "we shouldn't bother you, but..."

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I remember listening to an NPC telling me about getting, using and fusing chips. Not mentioned: what diamonds stand for and which specific enemy drops which specific chip, which is hardly telling you jack-poo poo and more giving you only the basics instead of doing your work for you.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It doesn't make everything clear even on a mechanical level. It barely tells you jack poo poo about chips and why you should use them, especially when hard is balanced on you getting a +6-8 Melee/Ranged def chip installed depending on what you're doing.

That's lead to more than one person whining about how unfair Hard is when it's perfectly manageable if you know what you're doing. Definitely should have done a better job of telling you to play this ARPG like an RPG.

I don't want to chew up a quarter of my bar on a +6 chip and leave all the more interesting ones to gather dust just so a single passing bullet doesn't explode me, and I don't want to do yet more grinding for Diamond chips to fuse (I've seriously gotten like two diamond "defense" chips in over 30 hours of play). It's unbalanced.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The using of chips should be a "yo, plug this chip in and slow down time because it's goddamn cool and there's a bunch more rad chips to get" thing, rather than a "chips exist and you can make them" thing.

Oxxidation posted:

I don't want to chew up a quarter of my bar on a +6 chip and leave all the more interesting ones to gather dust just so a single passing bullet doesn't explode me, and I don't want to do yet more grinding for Diamond chips to fuse (I've seriously gotten like two diamond "defense" chips in over 30 hours of play). It's unbalanced.

Then don't play hard mode. The balance isn't ideal, but it's not broken by any means. Making sacrifices for the sake of character build is a part of most RPG games and it's not something that should go away.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 30, 2017

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Things the game doesn't tell you about (or i can't remember):
-pod flinging/pod glide attacking
-"counter" vs perfect dodge, perfect dodge counter move types
-petting the pod
-diamonds on chips
-and yeah that phrasing on the "do yorha stuff first" line should've been a lot less subtle in-character and shouldve broken the fourth wall as thoroughly as the other dozen times the game does it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Then don't play hard mode.

At which point I can facetank everything in the game with minimal effort because the enemies' attack strength is about a fifth as high as it is on Hard.

It's unbalanced.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

For the most part. Don't be like me on route A and only do the first two speed star races, get frustrated, say "I'll come back to this" and then start the missile quest, or like other people have done with doing most of the half-wit inventor but not all of it and then having to pay him out from scratch again. The "If you have anything to do for YoRHa you should worry about that first" line makes a lot of sense in hindsight, though.

Uh...I don't think Half Wit ever resets, does it? Some others involving money do, but it's laughable amounts of cash by the time you get to do them again.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

At which point I can facetank everything in the game with minimal effort because the enemies' attack strength is about a fifth as high as it is on Hard.

It's unbalanced.

Then accept that you can't use every single toy without consequence because the game actually wants you to actually consider your character build on this difficulty.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Difficulty is even more hosed once you unlock chapter select. Machine enemies stay like level 12 and can't physically damage you, but boars and mooses (meese?) Level straight to your level and can oneshot you.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That's an undisputably hosed thing and should at least be something you can disable with a level scaling on box or something.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Then accept that you can't use every single toy without consequence because the game actually wants you to actually consider your character build on this difficulty.

Grinding to get the highest possible level of defense chip so you can survive more than one hit isn't "considering your character build," it's trying to circumvent lazily implemented difficulty settings.

Mostly I'm irritated because Platinum has historically been great at fair, innovative use of Hard modes etc, but this game does it in the most half-assed way possible - jack up enemy damage values to the stratosphere, and then force you to go through a lot of tedious RNG accessory grinding if you want to feel like you're not sleepwalking through everything. It's unbalanced.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
You don't need "only" diamond chips or any grinding for hard - in fact i fused a ton of regular lovely chips and did just fine -, just get to 128 slots asap, use the missile pod if you dislike manual aiming, put a bit of thought in your loadouts and weapons+upgrades and don't horribly suck at dodging or using healing items mid fight. If you don't want to put forth the minimal effort for any of those things, normal with pod autoaim is your cruise control.

like, i don't know what you're hoping to convince us of here. Hard in this game is nowhere near as punishing as it was in MGR, you have so many options besides "git gud".

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

i dunno i had like a defence plus four chip only on hard and gad no real issues? like yeah you get hit hard but between overclock chips, counter chips and the dodge as options it never felt particularly bad. plus the game rainshealing items for cheap on you.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RoadCrewWorker posted:

You don't need "only" diamond chips or any grinding for hard - in fact i fused a ton of regular lovely chips and did just fine -, just get to 128 slots asap, use the missile pod if you dislike manual aiming, put a bit of thought in your loadouts and weapons+upgrades and don't horribly suck at dodging or using healing items mid fight. If you don't want to put forth the minimal effort for any of those things, normal with pod autoaim is your cruise control.

like, i don't know what you're hoping to convince us of here. Hard in this game is nowhere near as punishing as it was in MGR, you have so many options besides "git gud".

MGR was way, way less punishing because you actually could get through on skill alone. I burned through over 60 Med Heals on the desert boss at the beginning of Route C because I was getting juggled in every direction by projectile attacks and a single hit instantly knocked me into Critical status. It's absurd. The game seems to use its RPG trappings as an excuse for way sloppier design.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
There is a bullet shield...

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

Grinding to get the highest possible level of defense chip so you can survive more than one hit isn't "considering your character build," it's trying to circumvent lazily implemented difficulty settings.

Mostly I'm irritated because Platinum has historically been great at fair, innovative use of Hard modes etc, but this game does it in the most half-assed way possible - jack up enemy damage values to the stratosphere, and then force you to go through a lot of tedious RNG accessory grinding if you want to feel like you're not sleepwalking through everything. It's unbalanced.

Or you spend a small sum at Emil's store and buy a single +6 or four of them and circumvent all sorts of grinding. Half of the HUD chips you get pre-installed are a bigger waste than a 35 slot +8 which will make you tanky as hell if you don't want to farm up a diamond 8. Like Stankballs says, that's overkill too. You can be left with more than enough chipboard to use whatever you'd need, unless you're trying to break the game entirely with a million other +8 chips in.

Hegel in the desert is just an absolute poo poo of a boss in all ways on any difficulty anyway. It's uncharacteristic of Platinum to make a boss that bad.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Hard in this game is a million times more punishing than MGR:R. Very Hard is the only difficult mode in Revengeance and that's only true if you're doing it with no upgrades. MGR:R's not a hard game, basically.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I used like 5-10 on my first Hegel attempt because i was tricked into using the berserk mode, didn't have any ranged protection chips equipped and just chain-dodged a lot for the spam sections by using pretty crappy overclock and anti chain damage chips. The boss has insane downtimes that lets autoheal bring you back to full.

but im also not the person to get annoyed if the bunny oneshots me through 14k health and maximum defense chips after a 20 minute fight as 2B when i get greedily sloppy and mess up, so our mileage clearly varies.

Hard in this game is a million times more punishing than MGR:R.
This game has practically infinite instant healing, and that's not even counting the myriad healing chips. Unlike MGR sustainability is generally never a problem (which makes the very hard 1 hit mode so exceptional). I guess our semantics of "punishing" differ.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I completed the "beat in less than one hour" and "don't get hit on the final boss" achievements for the Jetstream Sam DLC on Hard mode simultaneously and it still didn't piss me off as much as the five minutes I spent with Hegel.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

RoadCrewWorker posted:

This game has practically infinite instant healing, and that's not even counting the myriad healing chips. Unlike MGR sustainability is generally never a problem (which makes the very hard 1 hit mode so exceptional). I guess our semantics of "punishing" differ.

You can get a full heal from almost every single enemy you kill in Metal Gear Rising though, except you are more defensively sound in that game than this and your main defensive attack, which has an extremely large window for optimum execution, is also your best means of offence. The parry counter in MGR:R is fun as gently caress, but also bizarrely OP in terms of balance.

The two games aren't far removed in terms of giving you tools to heal by any means.

Gorillas are maybe the hardest thing to avoid being hit by in MGR:R, but that's also far from impossible and in a vast majority of encounters you can just use blade mode to open up one of the low level dudes for a spine.

Oxxidation posted:

I completed the "beat in less than one hour" and "don't get hit on the final boss" achievements for the Jetstream Sam DLC on Hard mode simultaneously and it still didn't piss me off as much as the five minutes I spent with Hegel.

Probably because the final boss of Sam's DLC is a neat take on an already awesome boss and boss design goes a long way in nulling frustration even where difficulty is badly tuned or not.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 30, 2017

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Probably because the final boss of Sam's DLC is a neat take on an already awesome boss and boss design goes a long way in nulling frustration even where difficulty is badly tuned or not.

"Here, have some bowling balls that shoot laser beams. No, we don't know what a hitbox is."

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

That weird feeling when you realize that the auteur who makes exceedingly dark, morbid works might actually be a good person

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Cephas posted:

That weird feeling when you realize that the auteur who makes exceedingly dark, morbid works might actually be a good person

I'd argue most people who plunge into the depths of what people are capable of are good people.

Because they see that poo poo, realize it's kind of terrifying, and try not to do it themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I did most of my post-route A playthrough on Hard and never installed melee or ranged defense chips because defense is for losers. Your options for healing in this game are super strong and dying in two hits on Hard was, for me, a generally manageable and fun level of difficulty because it meant I could afford to get a little sloppy here and there but any time I did it was a wake-up call and forced me to keep on my toes for a little bit until my health came back.