Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Avenging Dentist posted:

one more example:

i do not like this model because there are an awful lot of details that don't really add to the overall design and its difficult to tell what's going on at a glance because of how the shapes are broken up. mixing vampires and ghosts is maybe muddling the themes a bit too much as well. it could work if you broke this idea into two (or more!) models, maybe one with ghostly riders and another with vampires chilling out?

Just needs more rear end and tiddies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Avenging Dentist posted:

steps to talking about a game's models (this works even if you haven't played the game!!)

the first step is you look at a sculpt and then the second step is you say whether you like it or you don't like it

for example:

i like this model because he is a cool skeleton man who looks like he is having a fun time being a skeleton. the proportions are pretty good and the overall design reads well, although maybe he could have a scarier pose (but then he wouldn't look like he's having so much fun)

one more example:

i do not like this model because there are an awful lot of details that don't really add to the overall design and its difficult to tell what's going on at a glance because of how the shapes are broken up. mixing vampires and ghosts is maybe muddling the themes a bit too much as well. it could work if you broke this idea into two (or more!) models, maybe one with ghostly riders and another with vampires chilling out?

Skellie dude is cool. Coven thing is cool, but I prefer the Mortis Engine build.

I like both things.

Do I win?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Broken Record Talk posted:

Just needs more rear end and tiddies.

"three vampire women in corsets and low cut tops aren't enough objectification for me" - something awful's broken record talk

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Is someone going to say something soon.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Avenging Dentist posted:

"three vampire women in corsets and low cut tops aren't enough objectification for me" - something awful's broken record talk

What can I say, I'm more of an rear end man.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...

Avenging Dentist posted:

"needs more cat women and women in ridiculous stances during a 'battle'" - something awful's avenging dentist

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

TTerrible posted:

Is someone going to say something soon.

we could talk about music it's been a while since i posted any good music youtubes

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Avenging Dentist posted:

we could talk about music it's been a while since i posted any good music youtubes

Or opinions.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Sexy corsets and titplate aside those look okay. I mean you couldn't play with or transport them without pinning but they're decent and look okay to paint.

I'm not trying to be a dick or "hate GW for the sake of hating it" this thread is just the place for Hams and ex-Hams who have fallen out with GW and suddenly there's loads of super defensive posters in here anxious to defend GWs honour.

I genuinely don't think GW has improved enough for that response, that's just my opinion. Otoh if I thought they were capable of writing good rules I'd have bought a genestealer cult army in a split second so I get why some people are happy with them.

E I also don't mind the defensive ham posters either, the more the merrier, everyone is welcome in the death thread and soon we will all merge when the reality balls touch and there are only Guillimans Chosenforged and Nurgle Blightsickeners to play for months.

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 30, 2017

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Avenging Dentist posted:

I'm still listening to Carpenter Brut

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

nopantsjack posted:

Sexy corsets and titplate aside those look okay. I mean you couldn't play with or transport them without pinning but they're decent and look okay to paint.

I'm not trying to be a dick or "hate GW for the sake of hating it" this thread is just the place for Hams and ex-Hams who have fallen out with GW and suddenly there's loads of super defensive posters in here anxious to defend GWs honour.

I genuinely don't think GW has improved enough for that response, that's just my opinion. Otoh if I thought they were capable of writing good rules I'd have bought a genestealer cult army in a split second so I get why some people are happy with them.

I think that's because you are seeing one group responding to the clearly improved 'sorta new GW' and some that are too far gone.

For me, Genestealer Cults, Shadow War, Generals Handbook are all good poo poo. I have agreed with most of the moves they have made recently and I'm invested enough in the games already that I'm willing to try again.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

On a music note, I would talk about the upcoming love live perfect dream project but they haven't announced what it'll be yet so can't talk about it much. I did just find out about the sweet Star Wars EDM vinyl and album "Head Space." The music and vinyl art owns.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Now that is a good looking model range.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

berzerkmonkey posted:

Let's play a game of chess - I'm going to use bottlecaps though, since I forgot my pieces at home. Trust me when I tell you what they represent, ok? It's just a game, am I rite?

Maybe this was meant to be sarcastic, but, sure, if you're going to go "All the red caps are pawns and all the green ones are bishops", or something. Or just scratch a big white "P" into your pawn-caps.

quote:

For the most part, everyone has the actual models. There are a few differences, but Epic is also a game of weapon approximations for the most part, so your 6mm LAVs don't differ too much from my 6mm Chimera. That being said, I played a game of Epic against a guy last week who had a beautiful Knight army made up entirely of Ork conversions. The models were great and full of character, but I didn't know what the gently caress I was looking at. I couldn't tell unit types at all (other than the fact that they were Knights) and did not have a great time playing against that army.

I guess this is just straight agree-to-disagree territory because I generally love good conversions and I've never usually found it hard to see substitutes.

It seems a lot like a load of people are looking at this as a "someone's got an army of identical things and is deliberately trying to create confusion for what they are so they can claim their meltas are actually flamers" but that's just straight-up cheating and you shouldn't play with cheats.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Agree that this is annoying, but it would be better solved by GW not using true line of sight. But here we are

Also it depends on the context. I played in a 4 player game awhile back where this was the proxy being used for the Necron Deceiver C'Tan and it was hilarious

Oh my god that's perfect.

If you wouldn't play that because it's not actually a C'Tan I don't know what's wrong with you but hopefully there's a procedure for it.

ijyt posted:

sure here's a catalogue to order the right models

I realise you're just shitposting but... The right models? For chess?

Chill la Chill posted:

The one big thing infinity is missing from its anime lineup and needs to address due to its popularity is an intergalactic pop idol singing group. It really needs a group of 3-9 idols singing like Minmay or idolmaster/love live.

Infinity is GITS which doesn't have one of those.

In the spirit of "saying something nice about GW" the celestine is actually a decent sculpt, but in keeping with the general thrust of GW's improvements she's also a trap choice for a dead faction to milk people who haven't accepted that yet. Also how the gently caress do you get her to a game? She'd need her own personal case.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 30, 2017

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

If someone can find just one Malifaux model I like I'll buy them a new av or forums upgrade of their choice (a $10 value).

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Xir posted:

"needs more cat women and women in ridiculous stances during a "battle" - something awful's avenging dentist

those models are bad and i do not like them but this is a cool robit

these soldiers are pretty basic but i like them overall too

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

TKIY posted:

I think that's because you are seeing one group responding to the clearly improved 'sorta new GW' and some that are too far gone.

For me, Genestealer Cults, Shadow War, Generals Handbook are all good poo poo. I have agreed with most of the moves they have made recently and I'm invested enough in the games already that I'm willing to try again.

I'm borderline to be fair, GW got me young enough that half my synapses are Warhammer related. I just am not at all convinced. Was excited for shadow war until it turned out to be a slightly modified ancient game although maybe that's preferable to current GWs rules writers.

I'd be optimistic like you and hope for 8th to be good but I literally did that with fantasy and it got blowed up instead of fixed. So far as well GW can say it's not happening but all signs point to at least a light AoSing of 40ks setting and their current lore writers are as bad as their rules writers.

At least there are fluffy models coming out of it!

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

spectralent posted:

I guess this is just straight agree-to-disagree territory because I generally love good conversions and I've never usually found it hard to see substitutes.

In the spirit of "saying something nice about GW" the celestine is actually a decent sculpt, but in keeping with the general thrust of GW's improvements she's also a trap choice for a dead faction to milk people who haven't accepted that yet. Also how the gently caress do you get her to a game? She'd need her own personal case.

With magnets you gently caress-twat.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Avenging Dentist posted:

those models are bad and i do not like them but this is a cool robit

these soldiers are pretty basic but i like them overall too

lamo these are hideous. Malifaux looks like poo poo.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

panascope posted:

If someone can find just one Malifaux model I like I'll buy them a new av or forums upgrade of their choice (a $10 value).

that's easy just get brotherhood of the rat:

you get two (2) copies of the beta version of a sigmarine in it! (the horde of rats in a robe pretending to be a person; just a little death thread humor for you ;))

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

panascope posted:

Someone who isn't me post the blood borne riflemen. Those are cool. Also rat man.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Stanyer89 posted:

Oh of course the magnets she comes with for the metal case everyone owns. Also she's NEVER jolted and snaps at thin pieces of plastic that attach her to her base.

Also real-talk I actually like the older infinity paintjobs more than the new ones, everything looks so monotone now.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

TTerrible posted:

I'm still listening to Carpenter Brut

have you listened to tommy '86? he is cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Si874V84s0

gost is great too but i'm 99% sure i've posted him before
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1KNzcSflLE

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Broken Record Talk posted:

What can I say, I'm more of an rear end man.

It is something modern 40k sculpts need. Maybe when they do new Xenos :sigh:

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Have people stopped spamming bolter and chainsword / dakkadakka / etc posts yet

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Most of infinity's model asses are ridiculous but I gotta hand it to them for actually giving a giant asexual robot a firmly toned rear end. That's commitment.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Hmmm.... Gas thread, Bahn Mi still seems like a good idea.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Lord_Hambrose posted:

It is something modern 40k sculpts need. Maybe when they do new Xenos :sigh:

??? all of the red butts are in 40k

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

spectralent posted:

I am 100% on board for conversions, and I'll play a converted army any day of the week. The problem comes when, again, someone wants to sub in their, say, Bolt Action army for 40K. If you can do a 1:1 swap for special weapons ("this Panzerfaust guy is a missile launcher") I'm cool with that. My issue comes from trying to keep track of both my army and what the other guy's models are supposed to represent ("these identical Panzers are actually armed differently.")

I totally get that not everyone has disposable income for toys. I only get to buy what I do because I am lucky enough to produce some stuff that I can then take the profits from and put back into my hobby. Just don't be a dick about it when I say your Sturmtitten KS models are not a good stand-in for a Space Marine army.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

panascope posted:

I hope you like hats, daddy needs an avatar.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Mango Polo posted:

??? all of the red butts are in 40k

:gay:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

panascope posted:

lamo these are hideous. Malifaux looks like poo poo.

Come on now, scorpy is pretty neat.

panascope posted:

Keg golem.

I'm not a fan of Malifaux, but their sculpts are alright, if you're into steampunky stuff. Infinity has some great sculpts, but all of the cheesecake does get tiresome (and I don't mind a bit of cheesecake.)

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Stanyer89 posted:

Lol do you really not see a difference?

I can't tell if it is because it was your game comparison or if you are just that big of a loving retard? Rhetorical question by the way, I don't need anymore of your snarky and misguided replies honestly, especially from someone who thinks because your Space Marine is modeled with a Heavy Bolter that I am even going to attempt let you roll it as a lascannon. Ha get the gently caress out of here with that. Are you really that loving poor that you can't log onto your eBay and shuffle through your "Watch List" full of 25% off Hot Topic apparel to purchase some extra Heavy support Marines to switch out?

Wrong.

Stanyer89 posted:

maybe you should take a deep breath and chill the gently caress out about nerd poo poo fauntleroy

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

TKIY posted:

Hmmm.... Gas thread, Bahn Mi still seems like a good idea.

come talk about synthwave with us

here's a track by danger from the game furi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QpUGCXwOks

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

maybe you should take a deep breath and chill the gently caress out about nerd poo poo fauntleroy

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

The heavy armour guys in this are the only infinity models i particularly like. Shame the ladies are still... yeah... better but... yeah.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

nopantsjack posted:

I hope you like hats, daddy needs an avatar.

"Surely you can do better" - Count Dooku, Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9TH9_s1pyE

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...

nopantsjack posted:

The heavy armour guys in this are the only infinity models i particularly like. Shame the ladies are still... yeah... better but... yeah.

Every male in that picture is in a semi aggressive stance. The women? Catwalk poses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

berzerkmonkey posted:

I am 100% on board for conversions, and I'll play a converted army any day of the week. The problem comes when, again, someone wants to sub in their, say, Bolt Action army for 40K. If you can do a 1:1 swap for special weapons ("this Panzerfaust guy is a missile launcher") I'm cool with that. My issue comes from trying to keep track of both my army and what the other guy's models are supposed to represent ("these identical Panzers are actually armed differently.")

Again, I think this is more of an issue with a lack of clarity than having proxies or conversions per se. If it's a big deal (one's a predator and one's a land raider, or something)... I mean, I'd be tempted to say "Use a tiger for the land raider" or something but if that's absolutely not an option you could do something like fold a napkin around the barrel.

Though I've never actually seen vehicles, especially in 28mm, that are actually identical; usually people give them different camo or markings at least.

quote:

I totally get that not everyone has disposable income for toys. I only get to buy what I do because I am lucky enough to produce some stuff that I can then take the profits from and put back into my hobby. Just don't be a dick about it when I say your Sturmtitten KS models are not a good stand-in for a Space Marine army.

I don't think this is a "we're here to accomodate the poors" argument, and the mere existence of poorhammer and classism-based plastic soldiers discourse is loving baffling. This is just a "I have some dudes and I like these dudes, why does the dumb game not want my business" argument. You get a lot more people invested if they can actually play your game than if they're locked out by a £2-300 minimum spend.

• Locked thread