Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Spatula City posted:

I hope so, it was terrific. the dragon was so cute! :3:

Yeah, the remake of Pete's Dragon is at the very least superior to the original, but more than that its threadbare trappings don't get in the way of some really excellent photography and creature effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WA3KQm5KYo

I read the book in junior high. I was never the same.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Edit: :(

New IT Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnCdOQsX5kc

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Great trailer. The last jump scare bit was uncalled for, but it looks pretty loving creepy.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Is IT just going to be about the kids or are they not going to do the adults part too? I figure it would be a lot to pack into one movie.

Also, Valerian looks great except that the leads seem super dull.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

Is IT just going to be about the kids or are they not going to do the adults part too? I figure it would be a lot to pack into one movie.

Last I read each section was going to be its own movie.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I think the idea is that if the movie's successful they do the second half, since they "defeat" It as kids. You end it on the blood oath, you hint at the 1980s section of the book, but if it doesn't happen, then you still have something that feels mostly like a complete story.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The Cameo posted:

I think the idea is that if the movie's successful they do the second half, since they "defeat" It as kids. You end it on the blood oath, you hint at the 1980s section of the book, but if it doesn't happen, then you still have something that feels mostly like a complete story.

Stick around for the post-credits scene where IT is in a closet or whatever

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Cautiously looking forward to It. If it's a success, maybe we'll get more King movies and they won't disappoint.

Though the original It miniseries was pretty good.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

GrandpaPants posted:

Also, Valerian looks great except that the leads seem super dull.

I mean I'm sure I'm going to enjoy it, but the one thing I feel like is missing when I compare it to Fifth Element is a unifying sense of style.

In the Fifth Element, the costumes by Jean Paul Gaultier all felt like they were a part of a giant collection. In Valerian, while there's a general sense of bright futurism that is similar to Fifth Element, I feel like there's no overall unifying sense of style except for "tech-y futuristic" styles we see in all sci-fi now.

Not a deal breaker, but it's definitely what made The Fifth Element stand out from anything else before or sense.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

The Cameo posted:

Sounds like a good way to go. I'm always hesitant about kid actors but the tone looks to be spot on. Clown costume and makeup looks good too.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

It's apparently being distributed by New Line so I'll be mildly surprised if we don't see Jason Vorhees and Freddy Kreuger murder some pre-teens

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

With the super success of Stranger Things and this coming out - that movie is gonna do so good.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

The Cameo posted:

Looks like it's going to be 1980s and now, not 1950s and 1980s.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I guess the kid with the red sleeveless top and glorious mullet is Henry Bowers.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I'm excited, that trailer matches the vibe I have for the book (which I read in middle school and have a soft spot for).

I do think the child half of the book is way more compelling and scary than the adult half, a big chunk of which is the adults getting a phone call and making their way to the town. Bowers is a constant antagonist in both, but the children face more varied and disturbing manifestations of the creature than I remember the adults encountering. Both movies would be well served to maybe change up the final boss sequence of both halves though, they're both similar and kind of lame compared to the preceding parts.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Haven't read the book, but I hope they're going for what I think they're going for. Where Stranger Things and Super 8 (a film I'm surprised that even I remembered) fell into the Spielbergian affirmation of youth, I hope that this film is just going to invert the entire thing. Where Pennywise is perverting their childhood innocence, painfully ripping them into a coming of age.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

SimonCat posted:

Looks like it's going to be 1980s and now, not 1950s and 1980s.

Well, same time difference, anyway.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BonoMan posted:

I mean I'm sure I'm going to enjoy it, but the one thing I feel like is missing when I compare it to Fifth Element is a unifying sense of style.

In the Fifth Element, the costumes by Jean Paul Gaultier all felt like they were a part of a giant collection. In Valerian, while there's a general sense of bright futurism that is similar to Fifth Element, I feel like there's no overall unifying sense of style except for "tech-y futuristic" styles we see in all sci-fi now.

Not a deal breaker, but it's definitely what made The Fifth Element stand out from anything else before or sense.

What was the last movie where they touted that a fashion guy was doing all the outfits? That was definitely a thing in the 90's.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
He didnt actually design for the movie (because he was dead) but Hunger Games lifted full outfits and inspiration from Alexander McQueen and talked about that a lot

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
^^^ good call

The only thing I can think of is Eiko Ishioka (RIP) doing all of Tarsem Singh and Julie Taymor's stuff.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Giorgio Armani used to do clothes for films to promote his brand.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Boy, I sure hope we get the orgy scene or heads will roll. :colbert:

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I read IT as a kid and was afraid of using the bathroom for several months. That summer really sucked.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Vagabundo posted:

Giorgio Armani used to do clothes for films to promote his brand.

If Untouchables is any indication, it worked.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Jack's Flow posted:

I read IT as a kid and was afraid of using the bathroom for several months. That summer really sucked.

What happened in the bathroom? (Other than the guy slitting his wrists)

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Better paced, plot-heavy trailer for Edgar Wright's Baby Driver. Looks like his most professional outing yet, I'm ecstatic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTvJJnoWIPk

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

got any sevens posted:

What happened in the bathroom? (Other than the guy slitting his wrists)

Blood coming out of the sink and shower drain, IIRC.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

That plus Pennywise busting up out of the floor to yell at one of the kids (Stan or Eddie, I think. Forget which.)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

f#a# posted:

Better paced, plot-heavy trailer for Edgar Wright's Baby Driver. Looks like his most professional outing yet, I'm ecstatic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTvJJnoWIPk

Jon Hamm as a bad guy heavy is my everything.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

The Cameo posted:

Yes, this is their plan. I think they originally wanted to film both films back to back, but that would cost way too much for New LIne to consider and WB Is too busy chasing Batman glory to probably care either way. I do hope we get both parts, as it will be quite unique for a horror film to have a sequel that doesn't feel like they are just doing it for the cash alone.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The MSJ posted:

Luc Besson dropped a new Valerian trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6wHXJR2-K8
Why is Cara Delevingne doing an American accent :ughh:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
loving hell. War for the Planet of the Apes just dropped a new trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDcAlo8i2y8

How did we get lucky enough to get this incredible series? This looks amazing.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

feedmyleg posted:

Seriously never thought an Apes reboot would be done so well. Loved the first, liked the second, stoked for the third.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

Oh wow that got posted today where is my head at.

Cuz uh, music licensing isn't technically done yet. Soooooo yeah.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

Oh wow that got posted today where is my head at.

Cuz uh, music licensing isn't technically done yet. Soooooo yeah.

whoopsie

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

The Cameo posted:

Pretty sure it was already established as a 2 movie deal, the first movie will be the kids part and second will be 30 something years later as adults. Can't wait for both, looks creepy as poo poo and it's right up my alley :)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

Me irl watching this trailer.

Woody making the fuckin sign of the cross with a straight razor in his hand. :mmmhmm:

I can't wait for this movie.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Yeah I really liked the first two but that one looks great.

• Locked thread