Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Urban Chaos: Riot Response Episode 6 - The Rise and Fall of Nick Mason

I liked my Shane Co. joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Does hitting someone with a thrown cleaver also set them on fire?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Yes. Yes it does.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I have vague memories of playing this game back when. I don't remember it being quite so loving insane, but maybe I just wasn't enough of a man to see the true game. :patriot:

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Nuramor posted:

Does hitting someone with a thrown cleaver also set them on fire?

Lunethex posted:

Yes. Yes it does.

...Pics or it's not true.

That's the sort of thing that needs to be seen, come on.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Jade said it best, that was indeed an experience.

Admittedly, taking away all your good tools (especially if you unlocked their upgrades) for the final level was a dick move. You'd think the game would at least let Nick have his pistol as a small mercy, but nope.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

All you need is the Taser.

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?
A minigun? Jeezlus now it's overkill.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I still feel like the lack of a flamethrower is criminal, especially with all the fire-related stuff they already had in, but nevertheless I am willing to give this game a solid 9.11/10.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
particularly with the burning bullets cheat i feel like a flamethrower is redundant

somewhat related: as this LP wraps up, note that I am guesting in the co-op SD3 Hardtype LP run by Yorkshire Tea. both of us have extensive experience with the vanilla game and none whatsoever with this Romhack, so if you'd like to see some poo poo go down, come on over!

Tea is murdered by the second enemy in the game

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Actually a nuke going off in an urban area isn't necessarily a bad thing, if you take a cold hearted look at it. If the bomb kills more people relative to the infrastructure it destroys, the survivors will be better off, in much the same way that the peasants who survived the Black Death were better off because of the labor shortage that ensued.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Christ, it's like the sound you would expect to hear if you lit an entire room of Despicable Me Minions in fire :stonk:

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

White Coke posted:

Actually a nuke going off in an urban area isn't necessarily a bad thing, if you take a cold hearted look at it. If the bomb kills more people relative to the infrastructure it destroys, the survivors will be better off, in much the same way that the peasants who survived the Black Death were better off because of the labor shortage that ensued.

BURNER SYMPATHIZER SPOTTED! SET TASERS TO CRISPY!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Christ, it's like the sound you would expect to hear if you lit an entire room of Despicable Me Minions in fire :stonk:
You say that like it's a bad thing.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
That minigun unlock was everything I could have hoped for.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I love the premise of the final level as a basic "being a hero means painting a target on your back" but there's something utterly weird yet appropriate about this game ending in a meat processing plant or whatever the gently caress they called it.

White Coke posted:

This guy's looking a little shifty... or should I say... SHIFT IT?!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
"This nuke going off could have somehow killed nearly the entire population of the United States, except maybe Hawaii I guess."

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

That's fine because Hawaii doesn't exist and is just a fever dream in the minds of most geographers.

You could say they're just shifting undue attention to it.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 29, 2017

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Kai Tave posted:

"This nuke going off could have somehow killed nearly the entire population of the United States, except maybe Hawaii I guess."

But at least we'd have taken Canada with us.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Now this is over, I have a general query for everyone:

Which game supported a more reprehensible viewpoint: this game or the Dead to Rights remake?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I don't think there's competition there. In Urban Chaos your actions as an agent of the state are condoned and supported all the way up to the president. Isn't Dead to Rights the story of a vigilante and his best dog?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I mean I just really want to emphasize that I've never seen a more completely ludicrous moment of "Hollywood realism" in probably anything ever than a nuke setting off a "thermal pulse" that somehow destroys every major power plant across the entire country and kills 300 million people, like I'm pretty sure the movie The Core is more scientifically accurate than that. And it isn't even relevant to the game in any way! This information only pops up after you defuse the WMD and save liberty forever, like they just decided that the idea of a nuke in the middle of downtown New Yorcago wasn't dramatic stakes enough so they have to reassure you after the fact that actually you stopped a SUPER NUKE that would have ended all life on earth as you know it, just a little bit of trivia for you.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I really want Rocksteady to make a sequel to this game. I'd be fascinated to see how they'd handle it, from just about every direction.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
After this, Nick went to DC to fight another gang wearing masks.

I thought there was a bad ending where one of the officers is mentioned leaving behind a family?

Shinarato
Apr 22, 2013

White Coke posted:

But at least we'd have taken Canada with us.

But due to how border's work, as soon as all bad things hit it, it would just flee from the sudden temperature drop that naturally happens when you convert from F to C. And thus we would be kept safe from the american nuclear disaster.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Kai Tave posted:

I mean I just really want to emphasize that I've never seen a more completely ludicrous moment of "Hollywood realism" in probably anything ever than a nuke setting off a "thermal pulse" that somehow destroys every major power plant across the entire country and kills 300 million people, like I'm pretty sure the movie The Core is more scientifically accurate than that. And it isn't even relevant to the game in any way! This information only pops up after you defuse the WMD and save liberty forever, like they just decided that the idea of a nuke in the middle of downtown New Yorcago wasn't dramatic stakes enough so they have to reassure you after the fact that actually you stopped a SUPER NUKE that would have ended all life on earth as you know it, just a little bit of trivia for you.

I honestly give them a free pass after their corporate courier service turned out to be a super-terrorist-training organisation because at that point it's like "Well honestly what CAN'T they do?"

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I just realized something-isn't the whole "Terrorist group masquerading as a legitimate corporation" thing basically what Cobra does? I think there was at least one GI Joe cartoon/comic that had that premise. If I'm remembering right,then maybe the sequel could be Urban Chaos:Rise of Cobra.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
That was the plot of the first live action movie too. Cobra tried to make it look like M.A.R.S. Inc. and Destro was funding their operations, when actually M.A.R.S. was Cobra, top to bottom.

God that movie was awful.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

nine-gear crow posted:

That was the plot of the first live action movie too. Cobra tried to make it look like M.A.R.S. Inc. and Destro was funding their operations, when actually M.A.R.S. was Cobra, top to bottom.

God that movie was awful.

Renegades used a similar plot,with a few major differences: Cobra takes over M.A.R.S.,one of the Joes becomes what's basically a Zoanoid from Guyver (wish I was kidding) Flint (my favorite Joe) is a dumb meathead,and the plot is basically a ripoff of A-Team. There's even an episode where a crooked prison warden runs an illegal fighting ring,AKA one of the first episodes of A-Team. Oh,and Zartan's just a generic American biker instead of a crazy Aussie.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 30, 2017

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

I really want Rocksteady to make a sequel to this game. I'd be fascinated to see how they'd handle it, from just about every direction.
I...I guess fascination is a good word to describe it. :stonklol:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

You know who is fascinated to handle you from just about every direction?

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Nigel Cummings.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

VolticSurge posted:

I just realized something-isn't the whole "Terrorist group masquerading as a legitimate corporation" thing basically what Cobra does? I think there was at least one GI Joe cartoon/comic that had that premise. If I'm remembering right,then maybe the sequel could be Urban Chaos:Rise of Cobra.
Extensive Enterprises was the "legal" front of Cobra in the early cartoons. How does it have Crimson Guard operate in their manner and headed by should be known terrorists, Xamot and Tomax? Good lawyers.
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Mar 30, 2017

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
City of heroes?? Eh? Ehh? I'm not crazy!

More importantly, I was playing The Division and

What's the connection between the Burners and the Dollar Flu? :tinfoil:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

mostly that joe ferro did nothing wrong

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Except burn people alive with makeshift flamethrowers without flinching or caring about the families and lives he was destroying before his unblinking eyes.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

he said, while spraying an assault rifle indiscriminately down a rotting street.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

source your quotes

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
smallpox was not eradicated by horribly murdering everyone who came within a mile of it, interestingly enough

Ferro's a good villain. Claims to have good intentions, may actually have good intentions, is so short-sighted his plan is actively harmful to the goal he intends to reach, is too obstinate to ever listen to a contrary opinion. His real crime, of course, wasn't the flamethrowers or the war crimes. No, it was calling into talk radio shows...

Lune, you're the resident expert on NICK MASON, T-ZERO HERO. Does he like talk radio?

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Coolguye posted:

he said, while spraying an assault rifle indiscriminately down a rotting street.

I only spray smg fire down dank subway tunnels, thank you

also I am still mad you cannot pet dogs in the Division.

DOG PATCH WHEN

• Locked thread