Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lost Generation posted:

I've just started Pokemon Moon, and I'm wondering why every single Pokemon on the GTS wants a legendary or super-rare pokemon in exchange. Since I work all day I figured it would be easier to trade for a Spinarak and Rattata then fiddle with my DS time, but everybody wants Mewtwo for them. Am I missing something here? I found the 'filter out legendary requests' button, but that doesn't help when people want Charizard.

Changing the clock does nothing. GTS is real time with real people. The filter just removes the "mythical" pokemon. So stuff like Mew and Megearna. The only thing guaranteed to work within minutes is to offer version exclusives for the equivalent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Lost Generation posted:

I've just started Pokemon Moon, and I'm wondering why every single Pokemon on the GTS wants a legendary or super-rare pokemon in exchange. Since I work all day I figured it would be easier to trade for a Spinarak and Rattata then fiddle with my DS time, but everybody wants Mewtwo for them. Am I missing something here? I found the 'filter out legendary requests' button, but that doesn't help when people want Charizard.

Any remotely reasonable trade request tends to get satisfied fairly quickly. The result is that the great majority of trade requests that are visible on GTS are stupid, unreasonable ones that have hung around because no-one wants to trade on those terms. Deposit a pokemon you're happy to part with and ask for what you want, you might get it fairly quickly.

neon flame
Feb 21, 2013

Apparently Dan is a sex symbol in France.

Thanks for all the replies! It hadn't occurred to me the GTS would work that fast. I was worried that so many people had spare legendaries it was reasonable to ask for them all the time.

Friendly Lurker
Apr 7, 2012

IOIOIOIOIOIOIO

VanSandman posted:

How many of those get released because they don't have perfect IVs, you monsters.

I bank all of mine now for sweet BP's :eng101:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Gts people can just be stupid and I'm sure I've seen several requests for Pokemon that you can't even trade.

Real trades are satisfied so fast that you don't see them lingering long.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Lost Generation posted:

Thanks for all the replies! It hadn't occurred to me the GTS would work that fast. I was worried that so many people had spare legendaries it was reasonable to ask for them all the time.

GTS can be super fast. Back when the games first came out, I was using GTS to fill out my Pokedex while I finished the main game. I was getting trades as fast as I remembered to check them, which was usually around 10 minutes.

It's probably not that fast anymore, but any remotely reasonable trade should go through in 24 hours at most.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dizz posted:

https://pastebin.com/ujsiMkWj

Hastily created up a vgc team while i had the free time. Will try to get a few games later today. I appreciate any feedback on improving the team.

Random question: how do you get the team format like that exactly? Is it something to do with Showdown?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

iospace posted:

Random question: how do you get the team format like that exactly? Is it something to do with Showdown?

I clicked the Import button from the showdown team editor.

Right here:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
No cuss words in Showdown teams because kids are playing it and you don't want them to get in trouble with their folks. :colbert:

fake edit: this isn't a real rule

real edit: My go-to way to build a VGC team is to look at the popular team comps ( http://pokemonforever.com/Thread-VGC-Best-Pokemon-Teams-In-VGC-2017-San-Jose-Regional-Championship ) and see how your team would deal with 'em.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 29, 2017

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Bogart posted:

fake edit: this isn't a real rule

This is disappointing

E: managed to get some free time for two games, first one lost because I couldn't kill Gigalith in trick room, 2nd one I won http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2017-554413604

Highlights of the fight; I switch Tsareena in with the fake out predict which still lands on my Arcanine because I forgot to put Queenly Majesty on her, whoops!

Dizz fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 29, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Someone please stop me from continuing the shiny Mimikyu project. :shepicide:

BUT IT'S SO GRAYSCALE AND RETRO AND I WANT ONE

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

iospace posted:

I hope you aren't chaining for one

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

iospace posted:

Shiny Mimikyu's color scheme is a neat easter egg, it's like pretending it was part of the series from the very beginning and just posing as a monochrome Pikachu from Viridian Forest in Red/Blue

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

I just wish Mimi was Electric/Fairy and had electric moves.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Electric moves? What do you think that... 'thing' is, a Pikachu? As if!

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Dizz posted:

Ghost/Fairy is one of the coolest and best typings in the game, and fits it better since it's just pretending to be an Electric-type but isn't really one. Just like Lurantis just pretending to be a Bug-type and Sudowoodo just pretending to be a Grass-type.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Dizz posted:

being electric/fairy in the same gen as The Best Electric/Fairy Now And Forever would be pretty lame

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

I take it all back, I wish Mimi's typing depended on whatever it was trying to mimic, like kanto starters etc.

E: Third game, barely get a win thanks to Ninetales. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2017-554618123

E: last game for now http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2017-554620460

I think I understand team building.

Dizz fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Mar 30, 2017

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

less laughter posted:

Shiny Mimikyu's color scheme is a neat easter egg, it's like pretending it was part of the series from the very beginning and just posing as a monochrome Pikachu from Viridian Forest in Red/Blue

Holy poo poo. I think I know what I'm doing next.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Nth Doctor posted:

Holy poo poo. I think I know what I'm doing next.

Don't do it man! Trying for a shiny Sandygast is driving me crazy, even with the Magikarp trick.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dizz posted:

E: Third game, barely get a win thanks to Ninetales. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2017-554618123

It's a good thing he didn't realize that Heavy Slam would have done approximately a million % damage to Ninetales :ssh:

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Straight White Shark posted:

It's a good thing he didn't realize that Heavy Slam would have done approximately a million % damage to Ninetales :ssh:

Heck I didn't even know.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Dizz posted:

Heck I didn't even know.

Celesteela is tied for the heaviest pokemon in the game, is hitting a 4x weakness, and has STAB. Ninetales weighs a whopping 19kg meaning Heavy Slam is in 120BP mode. I mean gently caress, only 10% of the pokemon that currently exist in the game won't take a 120BP hit from Celesteela.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dizz posted:

my only quibble watching this was you focused down PoryZ while it was recharging when you could have taken out Palossand with snarl. Would have left Arcanine up to at least get a STAB flamethrower off on Celesteela before the death of it.

But sometimes, the opponent is even more dumb! Squeaker wins are fun.

Dizz posted:

I hope you aren't chaining for one

I'm breeding one :downs: Chaining for one when I need it a very specific way (trick room setter) is a bigger gamble.

iospace fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 30, 2017

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I have a shiny Mimikyu. May yours not require leveling to 100 and forcing a Gold bottle cap down it's throat to be viable in competitions. :suicide:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Rangpur posted:

I have a shiny Mimikyu. May yours not require leveling to 100 and forcing a Gold bottle cap down it's throat to be viable in competitions. :suicide:

At best, mine will require 0 regular bottle caps.

At worst, it'll need 4 :suicide:

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Shiny mimikyu is the only one I've ever hatched. Turned out competitive right out of the gate, no bottlecaps needed. I love nehoy menoy :3:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I did that fancy chaining trick to get mine. I just really liked the colour. Or lack thereof.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I love my Mimikyu just the way it is. It doesn't need to be shiny :downs:

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I might try to make a shiny Mimikyu this weekend. The one I have on my team has 30/31-everything else. But if I get an optimized one before a shiny, I'll probably quit eggs for this gen. It's just statistically not fair after sooo many eggs and encounters, and them rasing the shiny ratio and everything. :saddowns:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dicking around on Showdown using VGC rules. Encounter an obvious trick room team. Dumpster the guy's Hariyama. Instant forfeit (also me being a derp with my attacks).

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

I kinda wanted to add Mimikyu to my team but I hear it kinda fits best in a Trick Room team, same reason I can't use Golduck since I don't like Pelipper much.

Also is there any way to remove trick room? I think using the same move extends it.

iospace posted:

my only quibble watching this was you focused down PoryZ while it was recharging when you could have taken out Palossand with snarl. Would have left Arcanine up to at least get a STAB flamethrower off on Celesteela before the death of it.

But sometimes, the opponent is even more dumb! Squeaker wins are fun.

I thought Ice Beam would murder it so I went for the flamethrower.

Kurieg posted:

Celesteela is tied for the heaviest pokemon in the game, is hitting a 4x weakness, and has STAB. Ninetales weighs a whopping 19kg meaning Heavy Slam is in 120BP mode. I mean gently caress, only 10% of the pokemon that currently exist in the game won't take a 120BP hit from Celesteela.

Good to know that Celesteela destroys global warming, wont bring that out in next games.

Dizz fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 30, 2017

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I don't know about fitting into teams, but Ghost Trick the Mimikyu's been my MVP in my (admittedly brief) competitive career so far and I haven't been running Trick Room (although perhaps I should, since I've been using a bunch of slow mons in Muk-A, Araquanid, Mudsdale and Drampa)

Opening with her, using the free hit to get a Swords Dance and then just wailing away with Shadow Claw, Shadow Sneak, Play Rough and Ghostium-Z has swept a surprising number of teams. Although again, I've only played a few competitive battles and presumably the same could be said of my opponents given the matchmaking in those two tourneys.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Dizz posted:

I kinda wanted to add Mimikyu to my team but I hear it kinda fits best in a Trick Room team, same reason I can't use Golduck since I don't like Pelipper much.

Wait, why would it be good for trick room? Isn't Mimikyu potentially one of the fastest pokemon at it's max speed stat? I thought the point was to use the slow ones. :confused:

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Hrist posted:

Wait, why would it be good for trick room? Isn't Mimikyu potentially one of the fastest pokemon at it's max speed stat? I thought the point was to use the slow ones. :confused:
It does have 96 base speed but Disguise makes for a good way to get Trick Room up and it can use Shadow Sneak to get attacks in.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

If it has 0 IVs in speed and also minus on speed nature, it won't be outspeeding common things like koko

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That makes sense then. Trick Room has always gone over my head beyond wanting to use something incredibly slow on your team.

Jithendra
May 23, 2009

Dizz posted:

Also is there any way to remove trick room? I think using the same move extends it.

No actually, using Trick Room again returns the dimensions back to normal. So one way to counter trick room is to have your own pokemon that can use Trick Room, and either use it yourself or have your Trick Room mon use Imprison so that the opponent can't use it. You could also use Taunt or Roar to prevent it from going up, since Trick Room has negative priority, so it will go last.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Jithendra posted:

No actually, using Trick Room again returns the dimensions back to normal. So one way to counter trick room is to have your own pokemon that can use Trick Room, and either use it yourself or have your Trick Room mon use Imprison so that the opponent can't use it. You could also use Taunt or Roar to prevent it from going up, since Trick Room has negative priority, so it will go last.

Mental Herb Inner Focus Oranguru cheeses all those mechanics, but it's squishy as all hell. Porygon2 can usually tank the focus fire but is weak to taunts and flinches. Mimikyu has some flinch immunity thanks to typing, can use a mental herb, but if the disguise goes down it's squishy.

Hrist posted:

That makes sense then. Trick Room has always gone over my head beyond wanting to use something incredibly slow on your team.

Trick Room also has the advantage of having bulky 'Mons. What would normally go towards speed can be dumped into HP or some defense stat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
You could also try to predict that Trick Room, and use it when you think it's going to come out. But this is a fairly risky strategy that requires reading your opponent, because if they see it coming, they'll let you set up Trick Room for them instead.

iospace posted:

Trick Room also has the advantage of having bulky 'Mons. What would normally go towards speed can be dumped into HP or some defense stat.

Pretty much. Even if you prevent it from going up, you're not really in the clear since they can still beat up your team if they survive your attacks.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 30, 2017