Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

http://www.theonion.com/article/dc-executive-worried-batgirl-script-not-interestin-55614

So the Onion is basically psychic now, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Onion no longer is anything but a 100% legitimate news source no matter how hard they try to be otherwise.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Anora posted:

He only says it twice, and his voice isn't as grating as the old TV show one.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Yeah, it's Bill Hader so the delivery is a little better too.
I'm not saying it wasn't necessarily annoying, I'm just saying it didn't trigger me.

Good. The show is like 50% cutting back to Alpha reaction to poo poo and it drives me up the fuckin wall.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Didn't Whedon work on a Flash or Wonder Woman script ages ago and Warner went "lol no thanks"?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Madkal posted:

Didn't Whedon work on a Flash or Wonder Woman script ages ago and Warner went "lol no thanks"?

He definitely was tied to a Wonder Woman movie pre-Avengers and was pushing for Colbie Smulders to play her

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Of all the "Joss actresses" to play Wonder Woman he should have gone with Gina Torres.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Well he's just done his first movie, a cheap genre movie with significant profit. This is catnip for movie execs. This is also Josh Trank.

edit: getting overruled in the editing bay, CGI overlaid everywhere, 2 hour plus movies made of a hundred screenplays and a thousand lovely ideas from people whose only qualification is an MBA

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Better put CD on suicide watch.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Hahahaa bless this. I'm so privileged to be alive at a time when this is happening. :allears:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Jordan Peele is very funny. I haven't seen Get Out, but have heard good things.

Despite that, Akira and The Flash seem like really bizarre choices for his second movie following a low-budget horror movie.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I really hope he does Akira, then maybe there's a chance the cast won't be comprised of 30 year old white dudes.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I hope they change name Akira to something more familiar to whitebread folks, like Matt or something.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Alternate names for Akira!

Jackmerius Tacktheritrix!
D'Isiah T. Billings-Clyde!
D'Jasper Probincrux III!
Leoz Maxwell Jilliumz!
Javaris Jamar Javarison-Lamar!
Davoin Shower-Handel!
Hingle McCringleberry!
L'Carpetron Dookmarriot!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

hiddenriverninja posted:

I hope they change name Akira to something more familiar to whitebread folks, like Matt or something.

Kaneda = Conner
Tetsuo = Tristan
Akira = Andrew

Takes place in Mega-Angeles

I'd hope that Whedon's Batgirl would be aimed at young women, but it will probably have a sexed up Babs bangin' Bruce.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

They've said now it'll be based on Gail Simone's New 52 version and not the Batgirl of Burnside stuff

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dacap posted:

They've said now it'll be based on Gail Simone's New 52 version and not the Batgirl of Burnside stuff

:rip:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dacap posted:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

Kaneda = Conner
Tetsuo = Tristan
Akira = Andrew

Takes place in Mega-Angeles

Wasn't this more or less what the movie was going to be at one point?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I like to think that making a film that is incredibly savvy to racial politics, Peele wouldn't touch an American localization of Akira with a ten foot pole. Especially with the shitstorm surrounding Ghost in the Shell.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dacap posted:

Wow. Way to mess up before you even start.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Serial killer James Gordon Jr as the likely villain is pretty much an ideal fit for the current DCEU.

Does Batgirl really have any other villains that are exclusive to her?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Dacap posted:

Serial killer James Gordon Jr as the likely villain is pretty much an ideal fit for the current DCEU.

Does Batgirl really have any other villains that are exclusive to her?

Stairs? Steep hills?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sure. The Riddle Her, Ms. Freeze, Scare Ho, Shush, Pen Gwen, Cleopatra, Jokette, Harley Davidson, Poison Oak, Catman, Ra's Al Gal, to name a few.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

parallelodad posted:

Sure. The Riddle Her, Ms. Freeze, Scare Ho, Shush, Pen Gwen, Cleopatra, Jokette, Harley Davidson, Poison Oak, Catman, Ra's Al Gal, to name a few.

None of this is funny, this is a black hole of funny that's actively making this website less funny

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Oh poo poo the greedo butthole thread just vanished, the funny content is being swallowed up by your awful loving post

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Harley Davidson is funny. The rest I'll give you.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

purple death ray posted:

None of this is funny, this is a black hole of funny that's actively making this website less funny

Can mods change usernames?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

To follow my point, I think if they were smart they'd use Batgirl as a chance to introduce one of their smaller female villains like Livewire or Killer Frost and set them up to be in Suicide Squad 2. But WB isn't smart.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
To be honest I've been wondering who this guy is a re-reg of.

Belated Spider-Man thoughts: I've honestly never been that impressed by Holland and this is kinda looking like every single other Sony Spider-Man plot, but with RDJ shoved in.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pen Gwen sounds like a fairly plausible comic book character in this day and age to be fair.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dacap posted:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I honestly didn't even bother with new 52 Batgirl, what was the problems with it? Besides the general new 52 shittyness.

Villain will probably be Harley and she'll totally be lezzing on Babs because WB and DC have no idea what they're doing and decided to just make their movies for those people who think "the joker has some good ideas".

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

twistedmentat posted:

I honestly didn't even bother with new 52 Batgirl, what was the problems with it? Besides the general new 52 shittyness.

Villain will probably be Harley and she'll totally be lezzing on Babs because WB and DC have no idea what they're doing and decided to just make their movies for those people who think "the joker has some good ideas".

Gail Simmone's run was fine people at the time were just butthurt as to why Barbara was no longer wheel chair bound (which shouldn't have even happened in the first place since Killing Joke was never intended to be canon).

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It was absolutely nothing special. I can't even really call it 'bad', it just sort of existed. Terrible costume, completely blah comics, frequent Killing Joke callbacks. Utterly forgettable, which is why most people have completely forgotten it, which is why it's so baffling that they'd make a movie out of it rather than the Extremely Popular Batgirl that made them a bunch of money and got them a bunch of good PR.

Tarr and Stewart's Batgirl of Burnside has a bunch of cool villains in it too. They'll definitely use either James Jr. or Harley though or possibly both.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

purple death ray posted:

It was absolutely nothing special. I can't even really call it 'bad', it just sort of existed. Terrible costume, completely blah comics, frequent Killing Joke callbacks. Utterly forgettable, which is why most people have completely forgotten it, which is why it's so baffling that they'd make a movie out of it rather than the Extremely Popular Batgirl that made them a bunch of money and got them a bunch of good PR.

Tarr and Stewart's Batgirl of Burnside has a bunch of cool villains in it too. They'll definitely use either James Jr. or Harley though or possibly both.

Batgirl of Burnside would be so easy to adapt; Barb has been trained by Bruce, but never went full Batgirl, and she goes off to University in Burnside and while there finds out super problems going down and has to make a batgirl costume out of what she can get, and then kicks butt.

If I was writing it, the only referance to Killing Joke would be Barb saying "once the Joker came to my door, but I punched him in the face and knocked out most of his teeth", but you just loving know they're going to referance in it, probably in some really explotive scene where they straight up show the Joker raping Barb. And before you say "they wouldn't want to alienate their fanbase by showing their favorite character is a rapist!" no, that's the exact kind of poo poo those people are into.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't think Whedon would write that. Closest thing in his orbit to that was an episode from S6 of Buffy which I think was written by some lady.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Batgirl should be a remake of Jacob's Ladder but instead of Vietnam it is the Killing Joke.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Mr President posted:

Gail Simmone's run was fine people at the time were just butthurt as to why Barbara was no longer wheel chair bound (which shouldn't have even happened in the first place since Killing Joke was never intended to be canon).
Oracle is an infinitely cooler concept than Batgirl.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Timeless Appeal posted:

Oracle is an infinitely cooler concept than Batgirl.

I don't dispute that. I just think it was dumb how they made her handicap because Alan Moore wrote an elseworld where joker shot her.

Personally I think Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown were way more interesting Batgirls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Mr President posted:

I don't dispute that. I just think it was dumb how they made her handicap because Alan Moore wrote an elseworld where joker shot her.
It's not really "they" though. You have to remember that Babs was pretty much a dead character at the time. What brought her back was Ostrander turning her into Oracle. If you haven't read Ostrander's Babs stuff you should.

• Locked thread