Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I feel like the humanity puzzle would make so much more sense if the young white branches were closer nearby and the humanity illusion could work inside the building

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

skasion posted:

e: also there already is an insanely obscure secret boss in this DLC. I can't think of another boss in the series who is so well hidden.

The...dragon?

Minrad posted:

I feel like the humanity puzzle would make so much more sense if the young white branches were closer nearby and the humanity illusion could work inside the building

Or if there were any humanity sprites literally anywhere in the swamp or the DLC.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Or even if there were a camouflaged NPC invader that used one.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

skasion posted:

^^^i mean, it's never going to be finished, so at least you don't have to worry about the ending letting you down

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

No. Berserk will never have any satisfying conclusions. Just.. Don't bother anymore. You can read up to the Boat Arc and then just forget about it.

Shindragon posted:

Sure and then enjoy the never ending misery you'll never get the ending.

Oh great, another one of those :v: Maybe it's for the better that I don't read it. I tried to once and I couldn't get past how jarring the comic relief from Puck was in contrast to the horrible poo poo that was happening. Like you'll have a scene where a character gets brutally slaughtered or worse and the next page it's Puck going "Hyuk hyuk look at me I'm so silly I just fell on my butt :haw:"

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Puck is a necessary evil until Miura got into Idolmaster and everyone is drawn lazier and prettier. And then the anime loli power of nature witch girl joins and ruins Farnese

You kinda need his comic relief, tho. Early Berserk was too grimdark

But yeah, the discrepancy is super stark sometimes, but even that gets worse.

I wanna recommend the Golden Age Movies tho. Watch those as an isolated story.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Huh, Shira actually does give you decent directions on what to do next after you make the boss fight available. Didn't think to go back and ask her.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I wanna recommend the Golden Age Movies tho. Watch those as an isolated story.

Don't do this imo. If you want to experience Berserk, read the comic and stop if/when you stop being interested. All the movies/shows have problems in various degrees that make them less than ideal as an introduction.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

skasion posted:

It's denial

Remember before DS2 came out when people were like "so my only choice is to set myself on fire or become the dark lord? Wtf from where's the ending where gwynevere descends from the sky topless and explains the plot in full detail leaving nothing out? 0/10 game"

e: also there already is an insanely obscure secret boss in this DLC. I can't think of another boss in the series who is so well hidden.

No one's as well hidden as darklurker

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

is it possible to make a good int/luck build using the man-grub staff? it seems like stats would be spread a bit thin

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

skasion posted:

Huh, Shira actually does give you decent directions on what to do next after you make the boss fight available. Didn't think to go back and ask her.

Yep!

I'd argue the most hidden bosses, and by extension area, in any Souls game are in Archdragon Peak.

mastershakeman posted:

No one's as well hidden as darklurker

Yeah this might be equal to the above. I never would have found the drop in Black Gulch without a guide.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

skasion posted:

Don't do this imo. If you want to experience Berserk, read the comic and stop if/when you stop being interested. All the movies/shows have problems in various degrees that make them less than ideal as an introduction.

I'm not saying that they are perfect, but they work best as a standalone. The CGI Stuff isn't top notch, but hey. I think they're fine. It's certainly better than the Manga is now or has been for the last 8 years.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Yodzilla posted:

Yep!

I'd argue the most hidden bosses, and by extension area, in any Souls game are in Archdragon Peak.

Yeah this might be equal to the above. I never would have found the drop in Black Gulch without a guide.

Player messages basically solved both of these for me.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes I worry I'll get "spoiled" by player messages, but ultimately I'm very glad they exist. After all, without player messages I would've never experienced "Listen carefully, skeleton" :skeltal:

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I'm not saying that they are perfect, but they work best as a standalone. The CGI Stuff isn't top notch, but hey. I think they're fine. It's certainly better than the Manga is now or has been for the last 8 years.

Honestly the only thing I know about Berserk is that Griffith is very pretty (and very scary), Guts has an anime sword and there's something about demons. If it includes those then I'm interested, because other than influencing Dark Souls that's basically all I'm basing my want to read it on :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Player messages gave me "labyrinth ahead" in front of a door in Drangleic Castle, which led to me preparing for a minute or two before finally opening it. It was a tiny, empty room with just thing in it, another message.

"horse but hole"

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I just can't bring myself to care about this dlc right now, played it for like 40 mins and quit, something about ds3 just makes me not want to come back to it. well, I know what that something is, but I won't bring it up again.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Honestly the only thing I know about Berserk is that Griffith is very pretty (and very scary), Guts has an anime sword and there's something about demons. If it includes those then I'm interested, because other than influencing Dark Souls that's basically all I'm basing my want to read it on :v:

Its the second story Arc of Berserk but the origin story and happens first and explains why everything is how it is.

I never found the first Manga Arc to be good, mainly because it introduces characters like Puck that won't matter in the Golden Age Flashbacks at all and tries to be in media res and mysterious

Its basically the origin story as 3 Anime Movies but people hate it because it isn't hand drawn and the animation budget is sometimes cheap or whatever

It doesn't matter tho because Berserk is bad now and Miura needs to play Idolmaster and World of Warcraft and read other people's mangas and we shan't talk about it anymore

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 30, 2017

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
When asking a friend about Berserk a while ago, he said one of the outstanding themes is rape. Lots and lots of rape. Didn't really inspire me to get into the series.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

When asking a friend about Berserk a while ago, he said one of the outstanding themes is rape. Lots and lots of rape. Didn't really inspire me to get into the series.

It's one rape, really. It's one rape you see that makes you hate the villain and will never ever get resolved

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I really like the gigantic twin greatswords they are hilariously powerful.

E: Also whoever you were green arrow cosplayer you were the star of that brawl.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
This DLC is amazing, I'm surprised people are being so harsh on it. Also we have not one but two lightsabers and some kick-rear end fashion souls. And miracle builds are great in a certain boss fight.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Your friend is an idiot cause that's not a theme, although there is a fair amount of rape and gratuitous nudity and whatnot. I'd say it's no worse than something like Game of Thrones, so if you can feel you can stomach that level of unpleasantness I'd recommend checking it out because it seriously is one of the better stories I've read period, and it's easily the best drawn manga period.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The leather bra is back, what more could we need?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The leather bra is back, what more could we need?

For all the fan-favourite armours they put in, as that other guy pointed out, how is there no Giant Dad?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Rough Lobster posted:

This DLC is amazing, I'm surprised people are being so harsh on it. Also we have not one but two lightsabers and some kick-rear end fashion souls. And miracle builds are great in a certain boss fight.

The start of it is kind of lovely and runs counter to what Dark Souls games are typically about.

The second half seems alright. Not mindblowing but at least it's not bad.

All of it at least has a very nice visual aesthetic.

As Soulsgame DLCs go The Old Hunters and Ivory King were good. Actually I'd probably even rate Ivory King as the better of the two, because the Hunter's Nightmare itself is such a gigantic pain in the rear end that I always dodge past everything so I can get to the fantastic Ludwig fight. Iron King had a cool design, Sunken King was alright but the boss fights sucked a fat one.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The Spears fight should of summoned a spear for every phantom you bring in. If only so the covenant isn't super slow.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 30, 2017

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I dunno its been pretty fun even when hilariously outmatched.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Apparently the covenant items get a boost for each enemy phantom.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

I don't notice the spears doing more damage but, I do get more resilient when I get summoned into a 4 man.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I didn't even finish Ivory King I hated that poo poo. The dragon fight in Sunken was great and redeemed most of it.
But I'm not a fan of the Fume Knight which is apparently the gold standard of the game.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Oxyclean posted:

Apparently the covenant items get a boost for each enemy phantom.

I don't think that's tied to the items, you just get a straight buff in the battle when you're against someone who's being helped by multiple phantoms. In the same way that bosses in this game always get buffed depending on how many summons are helping out.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

But I'm not a fan of the Fume Knight which is apparently the gold standard of the game.

he's one of the best bosses in the series, as a matter of fact. :colbert:

I honestly think most people who dislike the Dark Souls 2 DLC (besides the dumb optional co-op areas in them) are usually just soured on the game as a whole by the time they get there so they go into these areas pessimistic and impatient. They're grade-A Souls levels in just about every way you could ask for.

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 30, 2017

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I didn't even finish Ivory King I hated that poo poo. The dragon fight in Sunken was great and redeemed most of it.

Ivory King boss fight was the best in the game. The part where DS2 DLC messed up is in making everything have ridiculous defenses. Also yeah sinh is the only good dragon fight in the game.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Ivory King's final battle is epic as all hell. One of my favorite boss fights for sure. Iron King gave access to the best weapon, the giant melted chickenwing club.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

What do you consider to be the best boss fights in the series?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Speaking of, is the fume sword worth using in DS3 with the buffs to UGS? Or should I just stick with the Greatsword?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

Speaking of, is the fume sword worth using in DS3 with the buffs to UGS? Or should I just stick with the Greatsword?

Boring answer, but all weapons are worth using if you like something about them. Unless you're talking about PVP.

Do you like using UGS? If so, do it.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Ivory King was cool but it was also really poo poo because if you are doing co-op and more than one person attacked the same minion then your weapon durability starts plummeting.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Your Computer posted:

Yeah, that part is brutal. The bonfire is even relatively hidden away, and if you end up going the wrong way you'll either run into the awful giant or Ledo "One-shot" Hammerfucker :negative: It's not the worst path to run through, but I lost something like 150k souls and 2 hours before getting through that area.

I didn't have any trouble with his phantom because I saw a big fat hammer and played it cool, but someone in the PvP boss fight was using it and they absolutely hosed me up despite high HP and poise. If I play this character any more, I'm definitely gonna max it out and reroll for the strength. It looked like it had a pretty short range, but if someone catches you with it just once, you're in trouble.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I like based game ds2 (only played sotfs and apparently the dlc in backwards order.) I guess how pain in the rear end the dlc levels are really soured me to the better elements. I generally like Iron King, but I couldn't tell you what I liked about because that whole dlc is a frustrating piece of poo poo. Helper phantoms being absent or useless also didn't help. I actually like the co op, which is why I like Friede than some others.

Fume is like dragonslayer armor on steroids who I have a big love hate relationship with.

Sapozhnik posted:

What do you consider to be the best boss fights in the series?

Artorias, Sihn, and Twin Princes off the top of my head.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
The Artorias fight is more perfect than perfect. I can't imagine anybody, including From, that could top it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Node posted:

The Artorias fight is more perfect than perfect. I can't imagine anybody, including From, that could top it.

Fume & Alonne are better, then Champ & Maria in 4th & 5th place . haven't finished this dlc yet though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I've been playing Dark Souls 1 for the first time on PC, and will get DS3 as soon as it gets some type of price reduction. I've been using a wired 360 controller, but it's starting to show some age and the buttons occasionally get unresponsive. When I get a new controller, if I don't just get another 360 one, would you guys recommend a Xbone or PS4 controller? My biggest worry would be how the PS4 controller's shoulder buttons look like you could accidentally press them when setting the controller down, which is Very Bad in Dark Souls since i'll often go AFK in front of a merchant or blacksmith.