Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Motronic posted:

Hoo boy, there are some good ones today.

Also it's a destination wedding

quote:

I haven't paid the tab yet, but we are set to be married in early May. We have 75 guests coming to our destination wedding. There is a seafood appetizer option that's costing us $1100 that I want to cut completely and she wants the portions scales back...

We will also save some money on the bar tab by switching to beer/wine only.

I will be putting down $9k tomorrow and the rest is due 15 days prior to our wedding. I agree this is dumb. I've been saving this money for over 10 years. We didn't anticipate her lay off. We also didn't think as many people would RSVP as they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Maybe you guys went to bad schools?

I went to a school that was ranked in the top 5 in the country for my M.A. program and they required us to publish peer-reviewed material, learn a second language, and get higher than a C in order to graduate. [HumbleBrag]

I was going to continue with a Ph.D there, but they were only going to partially fund me and it was in a soft science, so I ended up taking my M.A. and getting a job.

Doing a Ph.D on loans is BWM 95% of the time.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I'm earning a masters after having completed my MD and the "quality" of the coursework turned in by many of my peers is SHOCKING, just honest to God SHOCKING.

Yeah man when I finished my grad program, I was like "what the gently caress that's it? I'm a Master?"

My program was really good in the sense that it fostered an incredible work ethic and exposed me to boring writing that I would otherwise never take the time to teach myself, and it's from one of the "lovely" UT schools that everyone turns their noses up at. But yeah it wasn't super hard, just required that you sit down and get your poo poo done. The focus on theory and research WAS there, it just wasn't required for you to get really good at it (which is tough). As long as you can adequately dabble in research, it feels like you'll earn your graduate degree nearly anywhere no prob.

In contrast, my clients who are at The Proper UT hand me their syllabi and coursework...and they are getting ripped off it's hilarious. One of these poor chucklefucks is paying UT Austin over 4k a semester to learn about opinion vs fact in a graduate level journalism course. I informed her that she might be wasting her money and while she agreed, the sunk cost fallacy hits people hard and she's gonna finish up the remaining 3 semesters.

I don't have the heart to tell her that you don't need a journalism degree to be a journalist (and she already has a BA!)

I guess what I'm saying is UT Austin is a loving joke. I think they stand on their "reputation" too much, which has allowed their graduate programs to get complacent and target students Who Should Not Be Pursuing A Graduate Degree.

Plenty of work for me so there's that!

E: Maybe it's a Texas thing. Maybe we're just smart for the area. I don't really know. But I agree that PhDs are almost definitely a waste of time for nearly everyone who wants one and is not being funded. Might even say that for a Master's, but having an MA over a BA makes me a much more attractive candidate in a city with an insanely high ratio of college educated people. And the skills I learned are exactly the skills I use to run my writing consulting operation. So getting loans for mine turned out to be an okay investment!

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 30, 2017

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I'm earning a masters after having completed my MD and the "quality" of the coursework turned in by many of my peers is SHOCKING, just honest to God SHOCKING.

Ask me about getting asked by a project partner if we can submit my work as a joint project 4 hours before the due date after 3 weeks of continued noncorrespondence

He couldn't figure out how to use a MATLAB toolbox

This is in an advanced grad class for electrical engineering

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

KingSlime posted:

In contrast, my clients who are at The Proper UT hand me their syllabi and coursework...and they are getting ripped off it's hilarious. One of these poor chucklefucks is paying UT Austin over 4k a semester to learn about opinion vs fact in a graduate level coursework.

This sounds like UT is doing a lovely program or your clients are in remedial classes or something.

I have never taken a Master's Journalism class, but it seems really really odd that they would have classes introducing the concept of Opinion vs. Fact at a graduate level.

Many Master's Degrees are basically useless except as bridges to Ph.D programs, though. That still doesn't explain the low level of expectations from a graduate course.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Maybe you guys went to bad schools?

I went to a school that was ranked in the top 5 in the country for my M.A. program and they required us to publish peer-reviewed material, learn a second language, and get higher than a C in order to graduate. [HumbleBrag]

I was going to continue with a Ph.D there, but they were only going to partially fund me and it was in a soft science, so I ended up taking my M.A. and getting a job.

Doing a Ph.D on loans is BWM 95% of the time.

This is some lame rear end humblebragging man. I know you can do better.

A masters in basket weaving at a top 5 basket weaving school is still a masters in basket weaving.

And a B in grad school is basically a C.
A C in grad school is basically an F.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I didn't know that Masters were that frowned upon. What if your masters is funded? And are PhDs still such a bad deal if you're decently funded all the way?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Oh yeah dude a B is "Needs Improvement" in graduate school

You shouldn't be getting anything less than A's

This sounds like UT is doing a lovely program or your clients are in remedial classes or something.
I have never taken a Master's Journalism class, but it seems really really odd that they would have classes introducing the concept of Opinion vs. Fact at a graduate level.

Hence my confusion. But nope, I saw it. I helped her with a paper.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

potatoducks posted:

This is some lame rear end humblebragging man. I know you can do better.

A masters in basket weaving at a top 5 basket weaving school is still a masters in basket weaving.

And a B in grad school is basically a C.
A C in grad school is basically an F.

I have my M.A.s from Stanford and Georgetown. (One of them was almost free)

Georgetown required me to learn Arabic to graduate.

His journalism clients sound like they are being taken for a ride.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Twerk from Home posted:

I didn't know that Masters were that frowned upon. What if your masters is funded? And are PhDs still such a bad deal if you're decently funded all the way?

If your goal is to maximize income over your lifetime its probably bad with money. There's other reasons people get a PhD though.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

If you're funded, go hog wild

If you're not, think about whether you really need or want the graduate degree for the sticker price, in general higher degrees still translate to higher lifetime income for most people

Despite the circle jerk, graduate degrees DO look great on resumes and push you to be better, it's just up to you whether the money is worth it (especially since standards are slippin' everywhere)

But that's my point, Leon, standards are terrible everywhere. Maybe you were shielded from that but That Is The Norm in this country. See: others popping up to echo my sentiments

E: Fun fact: my favorite clients are business majors doing grad school/an MBA because their coursework is always, always, ALWAYS laughably easy regardless of what school they go to, they also tend to make a lot more than me in their lifetimes so the joke is on me lol hahahaha

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 30, 2017

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

I have my M.A.s from Stanford and Georgetown.

In basket weaving?

And how many C's did people actually get?

I'm not trying to disparage your academic credentials. They sound great. I'm just saying that your humblebrag wasn't very strong.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
A graduate degree in of itself is worthless and institutions will push through as many in order to drive revenues. There is a financial impetus to churn through many and make it easy.

What gets you a job is the networking, your portfolio and your publications. If you just get the degree and have none of the other things you will be one of the many many many people with an advanced degree not working in their field.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Aka foster skills everywhere and anywhere you might be at. Grad school happens to be a fantastic setting for one to do this, if anything

Life is an RPG

E: fixed a typo because i am a Professional Writer drat it

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
The median salary difference between PhD and BS on my field is 40k. Probably not worth the 5 years of hell, but the type of work you do is very different unless you're very exceptional and far more interesting with the PhD. Still not sure it was worth it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

potatoducks posted:

In basket weaving?

And how many C's did people actually get?

I'm not trying to disparage your academic credentials. They sound great. I'm just saying that your humblebrag wasn't very strong.

Government and Economics.

We only had 13 people in our program at Georgetown and at least 3 people had to repeat classes for getting C's that I know of.

(I also failed my Arabic proficiency - with a C - the first time and had to redo it. :negative:)

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 30, 2017

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

cowofwar posted:

A graduate degree in of itself is worthless and institutions will push through as many in order to drive revenues. There is a financial impetus to churn through many and make it easy.

This is true if your field has lower demand than supply. You can actually look at the faculty salaries to get an idea of the supply/demand for doctorates in your field.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

We only had 13 people in our program at Georgetown and at least 3 people had to repeat classes for getting C's that I know of.

this is definitely supporting my point rather than detracting from it...

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

KingSlime posted:

this is definitely supporting my point rather than detracting from it...

I don't think a ~25% failure rate at a very competitive program is really an indictment that everyone there was just pushed through.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
There's lots of ways to interpret that figure of course, but I assume that a robust, respected program provides students with the resources to get an A in every single class.

For so many of your cohorts to get C's rather than B's (which is still Not Good), either the classes are ridiculously demanding or the applicant pool wasn't as competitive as you might hope

Don't get me wrong, having a graduate degree is still incredible and something to be proud of in comparison to most people, and I have zero exposure to your school, but my exposure to smaller cohorts means that the programs can't be as picky when it comes to candidates. Little to no candidates + low enrollment is a death sentence for any department.

But who knows? I can only speak of programs and students I am exposed to, and the standards are pretty bad...

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

(I also failed my Arabic proficiency - with a C - the first time and had to redo it. :negative:)

i probably have the exact same economics one and it wasn't that hard if you did the work lol

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
That's another point too. I regularly do coursework for some fields that can be done By Someone Without A Background But The Proper Info And Resources.

Business, government, economics, lots of liberal arts fall into this umbrella.

Why the C's? Where did the students fall short? Was it not doing the work? Was their writing weak? Did they not do the readings? Etc

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 30, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Zikan posted:

i probably have the exact same economics one and it wasn't that hard if you did the work lol

What year?

And yes, I wasn't saying that it was insanely demanding. Just that the idea that "Intro to Opinions vs. Facts" is not indicative of a typical graduate program and it sounds like these people are getting ripped off.

KingSlime posted:

For so many of your cohorts to get C's rather than B's (which is still Not Good), either the classes are ridiculously demanding or the applicant pool wasn't as competitive as you might hope

Don't get me wrong, having a graduate degree is still incredible and something to be proud of in comparison to most people, and I have zero exposure to your school, but my exposure to smaller cohorts means that the programs can't be as picky when it comes to candidates. Little to no candidates + low enrollment is a death sentence for any department.

But who knows? I can only speak of programs and students I am exposed to, and the standards are pretty bad...

The acceptance rate for the Georgetown program was about 9% and it was about 7% for Stanford. I don't think the issue is that they had nobody applying and had to take anyone.

I'm not even saying that the graduate programs were difficult (learning a foreign language was the only really challenging part). I'm just saying that it sounds like your clients are getting snookered and are in an especially bad program.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 30, 2017

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Your response to learning this bit of information is exactly how I felt when I saw the assignment sheet and further reinforced my notion that America is absolutely getting stupidier

UT is a highly respected institution, much more so than the "knock off" UT that I went to, so I don't get it either.

E: Yeah that's exactly what I'm saying as well! UT Journalism grad program: Sad!

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 30, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Also, what do you do where you have clients coming to you and asking you to do their Grad School coursework?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I'm a one-man writing consulting firm. I get all sorts of requests my way.

My favorite was a guy who wanted me to write an erotic short story about two chain-mail wearing bros who discover their passion for each other during a particularly challenging raid on a nearby enemy fortress

I couldn't do it, I never even replied to the guy because he attached a pic of two blue collar white dudes with their pants down past their rear end. "this is what they should look like"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

KingSlime posted:

My favorite was a guy who wanted me to write an erotic short story about two chain-mail wearing bros who discover their passion for each other during a particularly challenging raid on a nearby enemy fortress

I couldn't do it, I never even replied to the guy because he attached a pic of two blue collar white dudes with their pants down past their rear end. "this is what they should look like"

I got a friend who would totally write that story for a quick buck send em' my way next time you get a weird gaybro erotica request

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I sure will! They don't come in too often, but they come in alright.

Alternative reply: new dark souls DLC is weird bro

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

KingSlime posted:

That's hilarious. How do clients find you? And you just do any sort of writing assignment?

It seems really bizarre to be doing consulting work that simultaneously attracts requests for both:

- Academic articles

and

- Erotic chainmail bro-fiction.

I apologize for the derail, but grad school and non-funded Ph.Ds are BWM and erotic chainmail fiction is more entertaining than radiology equipment.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 30, 2017

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
If it pays yeah and i feel that I can deliver on expectations, I'll do whatever. I don't think gay erotica from me would be any good though, which is why I turn those types of tasks down. Maybe straight erotica might be more manageable but those requests have yet to come in.

Honestly I'm not up to snuff on attracting high end clients or even having a strong web presence, and I'm still overloaded with work. I mostly plop ads on reddit (r/forhire and a few others) and occasionally get referrals from past clients. I do specify in my ads that I am particularly experienced with academic writing and workplace writing, but can take a stab at other tasks as well (this is where the misc requests come from).

It's been a steady two years and at this point I've nearly done every type of writing under the sun, which only helps attract more clients with different needs.

If I was more driven or focused I could explode the size of my "firm" but I don't know if I have it in me. I like what I got going on right now I guess. Or I'm just lazy.

E: Woops! I forgot we were in the BWM thread! Uhhh for content it is BWM to be me and not put tax money aside because tax season is a real bitch

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 30, 2017

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

KingSlime posted:

explode the size of my "firm"

I thought you said you didn't do gay erotica though :rimshot:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

ate all the Oreos posted:

I thought you said you didn't do gay erotica though :rimshot:

Are you just F5ing the thread waiting for pun opportunities?

Your last one was better!

Actual content:

This is kind of sad, but the brevity and the response to the first question...

quote:

Should I consider bankruptcy? Im 40k (from drugs) in debt and don't know what to do. I make about 34k a year

I took a loan of 20k to consolidate my credit cards.... but then used them all again. I also have numerous medical bills going unpaid. Should I consider bankruptcy? should I try and take another loan? please help

quote:

Nobody can help you if you keep dodging the "are you still addicted" question everyone is asking.

I am.... I can stop this time. I don't really have a choice. Ive missed so much work I cant leave again even with fmla... we have had so many cuts ill be next on the block and I cant do that again for 30 days or more leaving only two others doing the job.

Bideo Games.

quote:

Video Game Industry Tax Deductions?

Hello!
I am employed by a video game company in Southern California. I've been using HRBlock to do my taxes (just their self-guided website) for probably a decade now. I have never itemized, probably because I've been less financially serious about my life than I should be. This year I want to get a better handle on my financial life moving forward.

Many of my co-workers use an accountant that has them deduct things that seem crazy to me. I wanted to ask if there is anyone out there has experience in this situation, and what they deduct. Here are some of the thing I am told I should be deducting since I'm in the video game industry:

A portion (50%) of my Internet service.
My computer cost in the year I buy/upgrade it.
A % of all video game purchases (research).
100% of joysticks/peripherals.

Many of them write off a portion of their rent, but going through the tax code, it really seems like this isn't allowed since I have an office at my place of work. However due to the operations nature of my work I am on-call frequently, and use my home computer for business very regularly (especially in the middle of the night). This same accountant is the type that apparently automatically deducts $500 as a taxable donation, because you don't need proof apparently.

Is this the dark side of taxes? Are any of the above items that you (Video Game Industry Professionals that are W2) deduct? Am I missing something that I should be deducting?

His wife must be incredibly persuasive or incredibly beautiful to convince him that dropping 45k on luxury items in two years is normal.

quote:

30yo in 35k CC debt, need game plan

I moved in with my GF (now wife) a few years ago and I had zero CC debt, $15k in the bank, and 780-800 credit score. I then added her to credit cards's, didn't have the intestinal fortitude to tell her no, now I am in ~35k CC debt.

I have now (finally) taken the cards and moved all the money into my personal checking account, as well as all the re-occurring bills, and will be paying everything from there. I am not sure what the outcome of our marriage will be at this point, but that's not why I'm here, just trying to provide potentially relevant information.

Income:

$44,000/yr (with bonuses of ~$2-3,000/yr)
bring home ~$2,600/mo (pre-bonuses)
---pay deductions: ~200/mo 401k, ~300/mo wife's health insurance (mine is covered by firm)
Wife "brings home" ~1,200/mo plus some side work at a few hundred/mo but contributes minimal, if anything, so don't count this into any payoff calculations at this time
Usually $1,000-2,000 back with taxes

Note: This ever-accumulating debt plus my marriage is mentally draining me right now, but once I am able to settle down and focus again, I will be able to get a license for work after about a year's time that will bump my pay ~25-40%.

Cash/other:
$4,500 personal checking account
$1,000 personal savings
$550 2nd personal savings account

Debts:

$3,300 HELOC @ 7.38% ($5,000 limit)
$14,700 Home Equity Loan @ 6.63% ($15,000 loan originally) Note, the above loan will revert into the HELOC in about 2 years time as the loan was only good for 3 years.
$7,755 CC#1 @ 14.24% and $100/yr fee ($8,000 limit)
$6,000 CC#2 @ 15.24% ($6,500 limit)
$3,853 CC#3 @ ~22-24% ($4,000 limit) CC#3 was taken by new bank, can't recall new interest rate but it's always been highest
$87,600 Mortgage @ 5.25% (purchased house for $100k, could sell for ~$130-140k)
Note sure of credit score, don't trust the "free" sites, but I think it's in the 650-680 range, as of about 15 months ago

Expenses:

$171/mo ($95/mo int chrg) for CC#1 min payment
$121/mo ($74/mo int chrg) for CC#2 min payment
$125/mo for CC#3 min payment
$835/mo mortgage payment (144prin, 344int, 347escrow)
$100/mo gas (commute 60mi/day 5days/wk for work)
$75/mo lunch
$13/mo MMO (video game) subscription
$30-50/mo take-out dinner
$45/mo dog food
$150-200/mo groceries
$182/mo electric
$110/mo water
$100/mo home equity loan
$100/mo HELOC
$60/mo life insurance
$75/mo car insurance (wife's car)
$261/mo car payment (leased 2013 Sonata)
$50/mo home security
$80/mo internet (could save $20/mo by downgrading)
$100/mo lawn care
$32/mo pest control
$125/qtr HOA dues
Mom pays my auto insurance
Dad pays cell phone
Totals: $2,600 incoming/mo, and $2,850 outgoing/mo.

Notes:

The HELOC is $5,000 with the $3,300 used on it, so there is also $1,700 I could transfer into for a lower rate.
I also have a CC#4 with nothing on it, with $4,500 credit limit which recently offered a 5% balance transfer for like 15 months @ 0% interest (if I remember the details correctly)
Wife doesn't have access to CC's or cash anymore so there will be no more unexpected holes in my budget bucket
I appreciate your help and advice, and I know this is going to be a long road ahead, but I really want to get my financial life back under control.

I spent more on Anime and Funco Pop Anime figures than I did my newborn. How can I budget better?

(Note: I need advice on how to lower my baby expenses and student loans. My anime and figurine budget are fixed.)

Also, I bought half a cow for almost 1.5k and plan to do so again.

quote:

How I wasted $12,000 this past year and what should I do with $12k in the next year?

I'm 30 years old, married, and have 2 kids. Long story short: In June 2014 I got a new job(Job B) that paid 25% more than my last job(Jab A). Then in October 2014 that job got outsourced but the outsourcing company liked me and offered me a job(Job C) making close to 75% more thatn what I was making at my previous job(job A). So my first year making this much money I splurged A LOT. To the tune of $12k. I worked hard these past 5 years so I wanted treat myself.

Here's what I spent the money on(Ballpark estimates)

$1500- Watercooled gaming PC
$500 - FreeNAS machine
$500 - PS4 and games
$500 - Wii U and games
$800 - 3DS and games. it was actually 3 different 3DS systems which were $470
$600 - Funko Pops
$1500 - Phones( I had to get a one replacement because 1 of the phones broke) Otherwise this would have been closer to $1000
$500 - DSLR
$1000 - Furniture that were optional and not NEEDED but I wanted
$1200 - 1/2 grass fed Cow
$500 - Anime boston
$1500 - baby stuff
$1500 - presents, birthdays and misc

Aside from the cow I don't see anything on this list that I'll likely get again. I'm going to get modest with presents and birthdays. I'll probably skip anime boston this year or if I go I'll control myself with the spending. Realistically speaking I don't think I'll be saving all $12k but $8-10k should be realistic. What I should do with that money is where I need help. My credit is not great so I would like repair and make it better. I'm at about 650 ish credit score and I'd like to be at 750.

I have about $32k in student loans that I'm paying back on time every month and reflects good on my credit I just financed a car for $24k. like 2 weeks ago. 5.09% interest which is not great but it's not bad. I can live with it. I paid off my previous car this year but I did miss some payments during the finance term and I'm wondering if there's anyway I get this removed from my credit report. Like as an act of good will or something. I have a private student loan that I been avoiding. but I'm pretty sure it's affecting my credit score badly. Like I graduated college in 2011 and I have just not been picking up their calls which is dumb I know. I have an upcoming court date with BoA about a CC that was closed a long time ago so I'm not sure it still shows up on my credit report but I think the firm representing them keeps pulling up my credit and that might be affecting it badly.

I think there's 2 other misc things on my credit that are fairly cheap to pay and have removed from my credit report I hope. 1 is Early Termination FEE from verizon and I forget what the other one was but the 2 are about $400 together so easy enough to take care off. I only have 1 line of Credit and that's with Amazon. It's a very high interest rate card but I only use it with the special financing option which doesn't charge interest. IF paid off in a year ($500+) or 6 months ($150) No savings. Planning on getting on my company's 401k during open enrollment. But no other plans as far savings and other types of accounts that helps me get more money

So PF gurus what do you think the best course of action should be for me. Please guide me because I'm terrible with money and never realized how important credit was in this country.

Thanks in advanced.

Edit here is my Salary and expenses Salary is $70k/year it's broken down weird though but whatever still $70k

$60k salary
$6k in regional living expense bonus (6k/26)
$4k in quarterly performance bonus($4k/4)
I get paid bi weekly. I take home about $3900 after taxes and health insurance every month. I get $1k every quarter for my bonus

My expenses

$1000 rent
$500 car ($421 minimum)
$130 car insurance
$220 student loan(The one I'm actually paying)
$110 Cell phone bill
$220 train pass
$70 gas
$50 diapers and other bay stuff
$500 food

So that leaves me with a $1k

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Are you just F5ing the thread waiting for pun opportunities?

Your last one was better!

I didn't actually realize I had made a pun before the most recent one - I was serious, I have a friend that has written weird fantasy gaybro erotica before that would probably do great at it :v:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
It's a niche that frankly, I am not equipped to fill

A gap on my resume, if you will

anal sex

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also how do you even buy half a cow, is it a live cow or did he buy like, a cow carcass?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Also how do you even buy half a cow, is it a live cow or did he buy like, a cow carcass?

You buy half a cow from the farmer. Usually dead and butchered. Put it in your big freezer and hope you don't get a power cut.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oh I was thinking it was like a cow timeshare, like you get to milk the cow every other week, switching off with someone else.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

I spent more on Anime and Funco Pop Anime figures than I did my newborn. How can I budget better?

(Note: I need advice on how to lower my baby expenses and student loans. My anime and figurine budget are fixed.)

Also, I bought half a cow for almost 1.5k and plan to do so again.

This is one of the only ones that's made me genuinely angry. Becoming parents is where we finally straightened up our act with regard to finances, and you'd better believe I'm not buying FunKo Pops instead of making 529 contributions.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Oh I was thinking it was like a cow timeshare, like you get to milk the cow every other week, switching off with someone else.

Organic, grass-fed ground beef is roughly $4 a pound at Costco, ($5 at Aldi), which is a quantity our family consumes roughly every week (probably 3 weeks out of 4 but who's counting?) Maybe we have steaks every month. Let's figure we really splurge, grass-fed organic beef or something. $10 steaks. 24 steaks plus a pound of beef a week puts us at, what, $500? We could afford to do this AND buy a NEW Weber gas grill (and the propane to run it) every single year for the price of his stupid cow plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Funko Pops are $10 each, so he bought 60 of the bloody things. At least he isn't into candles I guess.

• Locked thread