Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Reid has personnel power in KC and it's worked out just fine, as I pointed out and you ignored. It's still bonkers that the downside of some bad clock management and sometimes questionable personnel decisions somehow outweighs the upside of being a strong competitive team for a decade but ymmv, I guess.

And yeah, while KC's clock management in that drive was abysmal, can we maybe admit that the Chiefs did not have the high-powered passing offense necessary to score two TDs against the Patriots in 6 minutes? Sometimes, teams lose because they're worse, and not just because of X mistake or Y decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Jason Avant was the Chiefs leading receiver in the Pats playoff game, the year was 2016

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

TheChirurgeon posted:

Reid has personnel power in KC and it's worked out just fine, as I pointed out and you ignored. It's still bonkers that the downside of some bad clock management and sometimes questionable personnel decisions somehow outweighs the upside of being a strong competitive team for a decade but ymmv, I guess.

And yeah, while KC's clock management in that drive was abysmal, can we maybe admit that the Chiefs did not have the high-powered passing offense necessary to score two TDs against the Patriots in 6 minutes? Sometimes, teams lose because they're worse, and not just because of X mistake or Y decision.

Eh...the problem wasn't Alex Smith not throwing 50 yard bombs, the problem was that they huddled and burned the entire play clock every snap when trying to do a 2 minute drill. The Patriots won by 7 points, it wasn't some kind of crazy shootout. They might have lost with good clock management anyway, but the degree of self-sabotage on that drive was genuinely appalling.

The problem with firing a guy like Andy Reid out of spite is that you're way more likely to get a Chip Kelly than than you are to get a Bill Belichick.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 30, 2017

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

sean10mm posted:

Eh...the problem wasn't Alex Smith not throwing 50 yard bombs, the problem was that they huddled and burned the entire play clock every snap when trying to do a 2 minute drill. The Patriots won by 7 points, it wasn't some kind of crazy shootout. They might have lost with good clock management anyway, but the degree of self-sabotage on that drive was genuinely appalling.

The problem with firing a guy like Andy Reid out of spite is that you're way more likely to get a Chip Kelly than than you are to get a Bill Belichick.

Just so we're accurate, Andy Reid was not fired because of clock management. He was fired because he lost the team and went 4-12 with a group of players one year removed from winning 11 and 10 games and who would win 10 games in each of the two following seasons. A big part of that was making his offensive line coach the defensive coordinator when he was completely unqualified for the job.

That said, Reid's poor gameday decisions, including horrendous clock management and panicked abandonment of the running game when trailing, created a climate where it was easy to fire him because most fans wanted him gone.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

sean10mm posted:

They started that drive down 14 and ended up having to huddle when their run at the 1-yd line didn't work. The team was totally run-first that year and I'd bet that huddling--although a mistake--had less to do with Reid/Peterson saying "yeah it's a good time to huddle here" and more to do with them saying "gently caress we have to huddle here or we'll never be able to execute." Seriously, Alex Smith threw 15 passing TDs and 8 INTs in the 2015 season.

vvv Who, me? I think McNabb was great. Not like a HoFer but I still have nightmares about him running around in the backfield for 2 minutes on a single play against the Cowboys

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 30, 2017

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
You were pretty anti McNabbs whole career, to change your narrative now is weak

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

TheChirurgeon posted:

They started that drive down 14 and ended up having to huddle when their run at the 1-yd line didn't work. The team was totally run-first that year and I'd bet that huddling--although a mistake--had less to do with Reid/Peterson saying "yeah it's a good time to huddle here" and more to do with them saying "gently caress we have to huddle here or we'll never be able to execute." Seriously, Alex Smith threw 15 passing TDs and 8 INTs in the 2015 season.

quote:

The Chiefs, trailing 27-13 in a drive that started with 6:29 on the clock, marched 80 yards down the field for a touchdown. The touchdown is the good part. The bad part is that the Chiefs took more than five minutes off the clock in the process.

How bad is that? It’s almost unheard of. According to the drive finder at Pro Football Reference, there have been 2,111 drives in NFL games since 1998 in which the team with the ball trailed by 9-17 points (in other words, they needed to score more than once but weren’t totally out of it) with less than seven minutes left. Out of those 2,111 drives, only one took more time than the 5:16 the Chiefs took off the clock on Saturday.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/19/chiefs-final-drive-was-historically-slow/

So, after being criticized for ten years while in Philadelphia for his teams being unable to run a 2 minute drill, Reid goes to a new team and throws away any chance at a comeback playoff win because his team is historically bad at running a two minute drill.

Your position on this is that it's coincidence?

My position is hire a offensive assistant in charge of 2 minute drills or something you big fat moron. You suck at it. Everyone knows you suck at it. Do something about it.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 30, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

NotWearingPants posted:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/19/chiefs-final-drive-was-historically-slow/

So, after being criticized for ten years while in Philadelphia for his teams being unable to run a 2 minute drill, Reid goes to a new team and throws away any chance at a comeback playoff win because his team is historically bad at running a two minute drill.

Your position on this is that it's coincidence?

What I'm saying is that Reid is bad at clock management, but also the run-first Chiefs were outmatched and trying to score 14 points against the Patriots in less than 7 minutes and that maybe the reason things were historically bad had as much to do with the latter as it did with the former.

Think about the opposite argument: You are telling me that a coach with average clock management skills would have been able to tie that game up, and I'm telling you that even if Reid is bad at clock management, it didn't actually matter in that game, with those teams. The reason the Chiefs were even able to score that TD is *because* they took 5 minutes to do it, because the Pats were happy to give up a TD if it took all the time off the clock.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Yeah, I guess you're right. Why bother trying? It's the Patriots. It's not going to matter anyway.

The genius of Andy Reid is knowing it's not worth wasting any practice time on 2 minute drills because it's not going to matter anyway.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

NotWearingPants posted:

Yeah, I guess you're right. Why bother trying? It's the Patriots. It's not going to matter anyway.

The genius of Andy Reid is knowing it's not worth wasting any practice time on 2 minute drills because it's not going to matter anyway.

No, you're right. Andy Reid is a bad coach and his years of success with the Eagles and now the Chiefs are clearly a fluke.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

TheChirurgeon posted:

No, you're right. Andy Reid is a bad coach and his years of success with the Eagles and now the Chiefs are clearly a fluke.

If he could only live another 50 years we would see him for the fraud he is. 20 years of coaching isn't enough proof.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I like Andy Reid and I hope he stays KCs coach for a while. since he has come to town the team is prepared to play every week, bounces back after tough losses, and regularly beats the opponents it is supposed to. I'll take the small gaffes for this awesome consistency, especially after guys like Herm Edwards, Todd Haley, Gunther Cunningham, Romeo Crennel

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Outside of Belichick who out there is noticeably better than Reid as head coach?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Reid might be the second best coach of this era. Granted, the 1st best coach is light years ahead of him, but still. I can't think of anyone I'd wedge between him and Belichick.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
I'd rather have had Coughlin and two rings.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Quiet Feet posted:

Reid might be the second best coach of this era. Granted, the 1st best coach is light years ahead of him, but still. I can't think of anyone I'd wedge between him and Belichick.

The current iteration of Pete Carroll comes to mind (1990s version can gently caress right off though.) Coughlin has to make the list for beating Belichick twice. Cowher, maybe - he had a long run of being really good with weak QBs, and then capped it off with a Super Bowl win. John Harbaugh calls to mind too, just lit the kawalimus signal there I guess.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

FuriousxGeorge posted:

I think most people feel that way, little buddy.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

big money big clit posted:

Outside of Belichick who out there is noticeably better than Reid as head coach?

Tomlin. Carroll to name 2

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

CyberPingu posted:

Tomlin. Carroll to name 2

Carroll maybe. Tomlin inherited a Superbowl-winning team when he took over the Steelers, so I'd call it a wash, but he's on the level, definitely.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Carroll will have to do it for a while before I'd stick him over Reid. Reid's done the coach/GM thing with two teams now. Let's see Carroll build another championship-caliber team before

FuriousxGeorge posted:

yeah but you can substitute anyone with "and two rings" and it'd still be true. I'd rather have had Osama bin Laden and two rings. I'd rather have Richard Spencer and two rings.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

indigi posted:

Carroll will have to do it for a while before I'd stick him over Reid. Reid's done the coach/GM thing with two teams now. Let's see Carroll build another championship-caliber team before

yeah but you can substitute anyone with "and two rings" and it'd still be true. I'd rather have had Osama bin Laden and two rings. I'd rather have Richard Spencer and two rings.

What about John Gruden. You get one ring, that way, and one of the most hilariously lopsided superbowls as well.

I mean, seriously, you're going up against the guy that coached your team last year and you change next to nothing about his offensive system? loving Bill Callahan.

Also I just stumbled down a rabbit hole where people seem to think that Bill Callahan deliberately threw the game and wanted to lose the super bowl.

Also Pete Carroll is only good because he told his team to cheat on the field all the time and the refs swallow their whistles instead of calling DPI on every play.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also Pete Carroll is only good because he told his team to cheat on the field all the time and the refs swallow their whistles instead of calling DPI on every play.

If the refs see it and don't call it, did cheating really happen? :can:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Mr. Nice! posted:

This is actually just good coaching, though. One reason that "Defense wins championships" has held true is that refs call fewer defensive penalties in the playoffs.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

Not true!

You left out the PEDs.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/19/six-seahawks-have-tested-positive-for-peds-since-2011/

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Quiet Feet posted:

I'd take Jim Harbaugh over Andy Reid. Once he punches a booster and gets outed at Michigan I hope he goes back to the NFL.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Remember when Andy Reid hired his heroin addict son to work with the team's trainers and he died of a heroin overdose during training camp at Lehigh and police found bags of steroids in his room?

Yeah, that was a great look for the team.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

NotWearingPants posted:

Remember when Andy Reid hired his heroin addict son to work with the team's trainers and he died of a heroin overdose during training camp at Lehigh and police found bags of steroids in his room?

pffft that wasn't even the most embarrassing eagles moment of the decade

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

NotWearingPants posted:

That might have said more about him as a parent and less as a footballs coach.

Or possibly it was just some awful poo poo that happened. :(

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I guess parenting is like a 2 minute drill. You have to spend a little time working on it.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
wrong thread!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I believe the judge in Reid's sons case said that the Reid home resembled an opium den.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

quote:

A judge who sentenced Philadelphia Eagles coach Andy Reid's sons to jail on Thursday likened the coach's home to "a drug emporium" and questioned whether his adult sons should live there, given their drug problems.

"There isn't any structure there that this court can depend upon," Montgomery County Judge Steven O'Neill said before sentencing Reid's son Britt to up to 23 months in jail plus probation.

"I'm saying this is a family in crisis," O'Neill said.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2007/11/01/judge-eagles-coach-home-drug-emporium-sentences-sons-to-jail.html

Then Garret got caught trying to smuggle drugs into prison in his butt.

Heroin is bad.

FuriousxGeorge fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 1, 2017

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Anyway,

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Speaking of Garrett Reid....

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Pffft if you are not using a bow then you are a pussy

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

This is good because the pig is man's greatest and most delicious enemy.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
The Eagles are cool and good

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Febreeze posted:

The Eagles are cool and good

*rubs eyes* Wha-

Ah. A trap. April Fools indeed.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Yall lost the most important thing in your bickering.... Tony Romo is going to die on the Cowboys bench and lol if you thought they ever would treat him with respect for his time with the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

a new study bible! posted:

Yall lost the most important thing in your bickering.... Tony Romo is going to die on the Cowboys bench and lol if you thought they ever would treat him with respect for his time with the team.

If they do that they have to pay him an insane sum of money just to sit around.

• Locked thread