Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I think there's a fair chance that they alienate what little core voters they have left. As much flak as KD gets for being right wing conservatives, there's still a fair share of woolly Church of Sweden social liberal types out there voting for them, and getting saddled with Ebba Busch Thor and openly flirting with SD is likely to drive those voters away. Still, it might work out for them. Who knows.

Beeswax fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Mar 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I think their problem is that their core voters are gradually dying of old age and they're not exactly a party that attracts new voters.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Collateral Damage posted:

I think their problem is that their core voters are gradually dying of old age and they're not exactly a party that attracts new voters.

Same could be said about C before they went full libertarian.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Is there a chance that KD stays relevant after 2018?

They have a bigger chance than MP. Is their riksdag-revolt still going on btw?

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.
As long as Jönköping breeds at a rate equal to or greater than the general population, KD will stick around.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Retarded Goatee posted:

As long as Jönköping breeds at a rate equal to or greater than the general population, KD will stick around.

Surely the 10% of the vote in 1/30th of the population will be the tide that sweeps the polls.

I know you make fun of their religiosity but they are pretty average voters. KD mostly cannibalize other alliance parties.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

Zudgemud posted:

Surely the 10% of the vote in 1/30th of the population will be the tide that sweeps the polls.

I know you make fun of their religiosity but they are pretty average voters. KD mostly cannibalize other alliance parties.

They only need 12% in one constituency even if they don't pass the nation wide 4% cut off for Riksdagen.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Beeswax posted:

I think there's a fair chance that they alienate what little core voters they have left. As much flak as KD gets for being right wind conservatives, there's still a fair share of woolly Church of Sweden social liberal types out there voting for them, and getting saddled with Ebba Busch Thor and openly flirting with SD is likely to drive those voters away. Still, it might work out for them. Who knows.
The issue is always that you'll never be as racist as SD anyway, so people will just vote for them instead.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

Do you really not understand how the parliamentary process works and/or the difference between active and passive support or are you just unsubtly carrying water for SD like usual?

So if the ruling coalition lose a vote regarding their proposal and then change that proposal to get the necessary votes by making changes that appeal to a certain party, is it really still passive support?

MiddleOne posted:

I'm kinda baffled that you of all people are going to get upset about S and M being S and M instead of conforming to some weird sense of bushido politics, something they've both (pragmatists that they are) have never been about. Yes, I'll concede that the rhetorical arguments in the 2014 election about how using SD to win votes was wrong was stupid. You know it, I know it and hell I think S even knew it at the time they said it because it really was just empty rhetoric. That said, both blocs will and have used the passive support of SD when it suits them and that has been a fact for the last 7 years. The same way the Alliance sunk the budget S is now passing this pro-union law. Get over it. What M is doing now is not being honest, it's AKB making a desperate bid to remain relevant in politics by going from passively using SD to actively working with them which no other party currently wants.

Congratulations on missing the arguably biggest thing going on here by the way. I'll highlight it for you:
That's right, KD is now backing a policy which is ideologically opposed to everything that the current C and M are about. That means that they now join the potential defector booth with L for the 2018 election.

KD is hardly going to join a coalition with S+V+MP. A vote against their normal voting block now and then is nothing special and both L and C have done it before.
L are actually notorious in this.

So then we agree, both S&M is perfectly happy about getting votes from SD.
The current discussion in Alliansen to gently caress with the budget is all based on the implicit assumption that SD will vote with them.
Which makes L and Cs rhetoric pretty stupid.
Why I say that M is at least honest is that they would actually talk to SD to get an agreement instead of just assuming it.
One of the biggest burns SD could do to Lööf would be to vote against her stupid budget change proposal.

I wonder how long it takes for the LO part of S to realize (probably already happened) that they can get a lot of their politics through by appealing to SD. Considering that LO have never been that immigration friendly as well as being protectionist the step is not that far. The amount of SD supporters in LO is on the same level as S supporter so....

Come the election next year, Åkesson is going to be able to rebut many accusations levelled at him by pointing out that either side was perfectly happy about getting their votes.
He is also going to make a pretty clear case of SD being a party that gets their politics through by voting for the proposals they support without adhering to either side.
A third way party in other words.

The parties that are going to be most hosed by all of this is C and L, since liberalism is not going to be the trend for a long time.
C or L collaborating with S is a recipe for either to lose votes, especially C who is going to eat a load of poo poo. Well earned in that case though.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Cardiac posted:

So if the ruling coalition lose a vote regarding their proposal and then change that proposal to get the necessary votes by making changes that appeal to a certain party, is it really still passive support?

It literally is according to the literal definition of the concept.

Also I didn't know you had insider access to Rosenbad and could just ask Löfven & co about their exact motivations for changing the proposal. Does he know you're using it to shitpost on a dying internet comedy forums?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

SplitSoul posted:

Four Danish teenagers tried to burn a 16-year-old Afghan boy alive. He was in critical condition for a couple of hours with third-degree burns on the lower half of his body, but thankfully survived. The national broadcaster did not mention the perpetrators' ethnicity at all during coverage and B.T. just managed a tiny Ritzau telegram on page 17 today. Had the roles been reversed, this would have been frontpage news for a week and the right would have been exploiting this to its fullest potential.

Oh wait, they're trying that anyway.

I managed to swim through the vast ocean of crocodile tears and translate it:

quote:

Ugh! Four Danish boys start to act like ISIS. To burn somebody alive is not something we've ever associated with a Danish cultural background. What will be next? Danish thugs who throw acid in the face of a girl with a different background? Danish youths armed with machetes? Five Danish boys rape a Muslim girl? Demand proof of virginity. Burning down mosques? This is not the kind of cultural import we want in Denmark. Very frightening. :cry: Poor Afghan boy. :cry:

Ignoring for a minute that our probably most famous King burned a ton of witches at the stake, gently caress you, and also there's been several arson attacks against mosques and a cemetery has been vandalised twice.

Edit:

The school principal offered the opinion that the boys didn't know the consequences of their actions. I'm pretty sure I knew that a molotov could loving kill somebody at 15.

Annnnnddd the perpetrators are now being charged with aggravated assault rather than attempted murder, because throwing a molotov at a person and giving them third-degree burns on 40% of their body clearly doesn't show intent to kill. The story also received no further press until now.

Guess I should just be thankful the victim isn't being charged with breaking their bottle.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

SplitSoul posted:

Annnnnddd the perpetrators are now being charged with aggravated assault rather than attempted murder, because throwing a molotov at a person and giving them third-degree burns on 40% of their body clearly doesn't show intent to kill. The story also received no further press until now.

Guess I should just be thankful the victim isn't being charged with breaking their bottle.

This feels like the kind of story you'd hear out of the US back in the days, you know not Scandinavia. Those sure were the days...

VVVVVVV: Real observable case of a point flying so far above someone's head that it hits the moon.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Apr 6, 2017

Heinz Hynkel
Nov 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Its clear that Scandinavia has changed a lot and not for the better.

http://www.nettavisen.no/nyheter/utenriks/gir-rad-til-svenske-muslimer---kvinner-skal-ikke-ha-pa-seg-parfyme-nar-de-gar-ut/3423329711.html

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

MiddleOne posted:

This feels like the kind of story you'd hear out of the US back in the days, you know not Scandinavia. Those sure were the days...

Eh, we've always had hate crimes.

SplitSoul posted:

The issue isn't "intent to kill", and what they are charged with isn't necessarily what they'll be convicted of. Do you know if they are being charged with multiple crimes, perhaps? Attempted murder might be a subsidiary charge, as in "charge what you know they are guilty of, and then what you think they might be guilty of".

As for intent re: attempted murder; the issue of mens rea is usually down to what they've admitted in interviews and the objective facts: Just because you can kill someone with an action, doesn't mean that its' reasonable to conclude that (for instance) they knew that it would or knew that it might, but chose to perpetrate regardless of that outcome. This is very important when it comes to attempted crimes. They are also being detained for 4 weeks at the outset, which means the judge considers the case to be quite severe.

Let's wait on a verdict before concluding that the entire system is corrupt and out of order and whatnot.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
Men vad faaaaan... sluta va så rationell, man hann ju inte ens posta bugs bunny sågar bort danmark giffen.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Nice piece of fish posted:

Eh, we've always had hate crimes.

This is not really a simple hate crime.

The issue isn't "intent to kill", and what they are charged with isn't necessarily what they'll be convicted of. Do you know if they are being charged with multiple crimes, perhaps? Attempted murder might be a subsidiary charge, as in "charge what you know they are guilty of, and then what you think they might be guilty of".

They have dropped the charge:

http://www.dr.dk/nyheder/indland/politiet-dropper-sigtelse-drabsforsoeg-i-ry-sag

Also, I was wrong, they haven't been charged with aggravated assault, their lawyer just expects them to be. They are not currently charged.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Whoa I picked a hell of a day to leave Stockholm apparently. Lets hope its not exactly what it seems to be.

http://www.dn.se/sthlm/lastbil-mejade-ner-manniskor-pa-drottninggatan/

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Good thing for the posters in this thread that it isn't an election year

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Yeah. We have stopped work and turned on tv's here. Happened 100 meters from our office.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Checking in.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Checked my family, is all good. I myself are in Örebro presently (which according to Flashback means I should've been killed ages ago) but hardly any danger for me. Hope the best for everyone.

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.
My mom and I were there yesterday. Thank gently caress for that.

Atleast i hope we wont have to see Alice Bah managing preventitive anti-extremist poo poo anymore. loving hell who would let MP in on security descisions anyway? I am pissed right now, and I've got an assignment to write.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
loving hell, well it's for damned sure true now that you don't need explosives or guns to be a terrorist any more. Guess that's what the war on terror has really lead to.

Maybe it's time to ban trucks? Build a wall?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

TBH, attacks of these kinds (no actual weapons used) are virtually impossible to completely guard society against.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
jävla skit

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.
My friend says she is hearing gunfire in the subway near Fridhemsplan

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

What a loving location to do it at to. A friend missed the incident by just 20 minutes. Christ.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

BigglesSWE posted:

TBH, attacks of these kinds (no actual weapons used) are virtually impossible to completely guard society against.

Which is exactly why they do it like this. It's never about the body count, only spreading terror. loving bastards.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

BigglesSWE posted:

Vehicle barriers are pretty effective, although obviously it won't stop someone from running people down at pedestrian crossings.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Apparently a guy hijacked a truck and used it

Heinz Hynkel
Nov 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

loving hell, well it's for damned sure true now that you don't need explosives or guns to be a terrorist any more. Guess that's what the war on terror has really lead to.

Maybe it's time to ban trucks? Build a wall?

I motsetning til Norge og Danmark, har svenske myndigheter satset mye på å hjelpe hjemvendte IS-terrorister tilbake til et meningsfullt liv. Et ledd i arbeidet har vært å gi gratis kjøreopplæring og førerkort til terrorister. Nå endte visst denne turen i et krasj, men Løfven og co har i alle fall gjort det de kunne for å bidra.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Vehicle barriers are pretty effective, although obviously it won't stop someone from running people down at pedestrian crossings.
Exactly.

There's only one way to deal with that kind of low tech terrorism, and that's to refuse to be terrorized.

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

Exactly.

There's only one way to deal with that kind of low tech terrorism, and that's to refuse to be terrorized.

Preventing people from going on religiously motivated killing sprees is also an option. (not saying its garantueed to be the case here mind you)

Edit: this is very unlikely to be anything other than a terrorist attack of some sort. Severity is up for debate untill atleast tomorrow. But i learned from Breivik to wait before passing judgement on culprits.

Postorder Trollet89 fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 7, 2017

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Furk

Heinz Hynkel posted:

I motsetning til Norge og Danmark, har svenske myndigheter satset mye på å hjelpe hjemvendte IS-terrorister tilbake til et meningsfullt liv. Et ledd i arbeidet har vært å gi gratis kjøreopplæring og førerkort til terrorister. Nå endte visst denne turen i et krasj, men Løfven og co har i alle fall gjort det de kunne for å bidra.

:fuckoff:

Heinz Hynkel
Nov 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think Sweden is engaged in anything in the Middle East so this attack makes no sense. I hope The casualties stay low.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Heinz Hynkel posted:

I don't think Sweden is engaged in anything in the Middle East so this attack makes no sense. I hope The casualties stay low.

We've been having troops in Afghanistan for quite some time now.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
If it's a salafi terrorist it doesn't really matter, since they p much consider anything not explicitly salafi a legit target.

Odds are it's one (or more) of those bearded dingbats.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

If it's a salafi terrorist it doesn't really matter, since they p much consider anything not explicitly salafi a legit target.

Odds are it's one (or more) of those bearded dingbats.

If it's an Islamic terrorist then I would wager it's a fair chance he doesn't even know what a salafist is and is some kind of self-radicalized fuckwit who wants to "do something that matters" and strike out at the west (which turns up being Sweden cause that's where he is) and swear allegiance to ISIS or something in the process and dedicate the attack to them.

We'll see what this ends up being.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Randarkman posted:

If it's an Islamic terrorist then I would wager it's a fair chance he doesn't even know what a salafist is and is some kind of self-radicalized fuckwit who wants to "do something that matters" and strike out at the west (which turns up being Sweden cause that's where he is) and swear allegiance to ISIS or something in the process and dedicate the attack to them.

Sounds like most salafis to me :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Welcome to our world.