Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

TheKingofSprings posted:

You ignored the actual salient point I made about a card that occupies a similar niche to Priest in what it does while being good as a card by itself and being a 2 of in a couple of solidly performing decks but not format oppressing.

The combos you're espousing are fine but there are comparable combos that just win on the spot in Modern instead of a slow exile engine.

I honestly meant to acknowledge your point about Ooze but forgot to paste it into my other response. I do think Ooze is more fair though, it requires an investment and is a much slower response than a 2 mana flash answer to multiple things. My main point is the same thing OFS said above. Priest is good in a lot of matchups and even the ones where she doesn't shut it down, she's half of a combo that beats other fair decks. Seems a good bit unnecessary, but it might be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Serenade posted:

Oh, huh. I could have sworn mono white control only got away with Scrying Sheets because of top. But if it's not needed then good, more deck space.

I don;t think there is a monowhite control modern deck. There's a deck in legacy called the Mighty Quinn that use scrying sheets and snow plains, but the versions that use top do it more to set up terminus.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I honestly meant to acknowledge your point about Ooze but forgot to paste it into my other response. I do think Ooze is more fair though, it requires an investment and is a much slower response than a 2 mana flash answer to multiple things. My main point is the same thing OFS said above. Priest is good in a lot of matchups and even the ones where she doesn't shut it down, she's half of a combo that beats other fair decks. Seems a good bit unnecessary, but it might be fine.

Which fair deck is this combo beating?

BGx has more than enough removal to take it off the table, Bant Company sure doesn't like facing down a Displacer period when it's able to flicker multiple times, and Bant Eldrazi can actively use your own combo against you in the late game, with a way higher rate of drawing into their piece thanks to Ancient Stirrings.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

The Shortest Path posted:

When they were briefly in standard together that was a good deck, but the version of MWC that stuck around after Kamigawa rotated for TSP was solid and didn't need Top.

God, that was another really awesome deck I miss. Proc+Martyr and Sacred Mesa and Gauntlet of Power...

Yeah, if these weren't co workers I'd be all over proc martyr with some instant win combo or a modern owling mine.

But I'll settle for dumb skred / pyrohemia + stuffy doll.

e:

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

I don;t think there is a monowhite control modern deck. There's a deck in legacy called the Mighty Quinn that use scrying sheets and snow plains, but the versions that use top do it more to set up terminus.

Yeah, that's the one I had in mind.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

There's a fun goofy rear end mono white turbo fog deck but it dies to chalice on 1 but god drat if it aint fun to play

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Since I was getting caught up on the thread and story chat was a few pages ago, I do want to say while 99% of the stories are hot garbage every once in awhile a good one happens!

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/stories-and-endings-2016-05-11

(Broken clock, etc)

the good story was emrakul waifu, and that wont be beat by anything

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

TheKingofSprings posted:

Which fair deck is this combo beating?

BGx has more than enough removal to take it off the table, Bant Company sure doesn't like facing down a Displacer period when it's able to flicker multiple times, and Bant Eldrazi can actively use your own combo against you in the late game, with a way higher rate of drawing into their piece thanks to Ancient Stirrings.

BGx, or at least jund would probably be fine. Usually arbiter or thalia ends up eating all the removal spells but jund is favored in my experience. Part of the problem with taxes decks is that they run out of gas or don't have enough removal and this eases that problem. Combo would be great against merfolk and be useful against shadow decks since they don't run as much removal as traditional jund, although I don't think shadow is that good vs taxes decks anyway. You'd be surprised at how easy it is to protect creatures when you have displacer, wisp+vial, and resto. Like I keep saying, I could be completely wrong about it, but I think it's an unnecessary addition to whites' silver-bullet ammo box. That's the part that would bother me, I'd worry it would discourage some of the variety that's all over modern right now.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

mandatory lesbian posted:

the good story was emrakul waifu, and that wont be beat by anything

Nah the best one was when Kruphix's prophet went to visit him and the whole story was him telling her "lol here are the myriad ways in which we could be turbofucked at any moment", except written way better than that.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Containment Priest makes it a lot harder to protect your non-Containment Priest creatures when they'll get permanently exiled if you try to protect them, so there's a big opportunity cost to running the combo in your deck.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

TheKingofSprings posted:

Containment Priest makes it a lot harder to protect your non-Containment Priest creatures when they'll get permanently exiled if you try to protect them, so there's a big opportunity cost to running the combo in your deck.

Yeah that's also a fair point, I was just thinking of protecting the priest. It would add a lot more interaction to the deck. I don't think it's a necessary card for modern at all but I'd play it if they printed it. Guess we will see.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Nah the best one was when Kruphix's prophet went to visit him and the whole story was him telling her "lol here are the myriad ways in which we could be turbofucked at any moment", except written way better than that.

it wasnt actually written much better then that

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
the story is trash, why are y'all defending it, what is this

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I think removing creatures for value at 3 cmc or above in modern is good without being crazy. None of this is even online without vial until what, turn 4? Less with displacer? Still not seeing how its broken.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
You might not care'mrakul, but other people do'mrakul.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think I finally cracked Abzan in Standard by combining G/W tokens and Snake. Turn 3 Gideons are pretty mean. My only complaint is lack of removal for Planeswalkers. The Delirium theme is kind of weak, but the deck hits it a lot if the game goes long; fortunately the only pay off is the traverses, and postboard Ishkanah.
I have not tried Avacyn yet.
The deck is really fun to play and does well against control, and Mardu. Regular G/B is the hardest match up.

4x Winding Constrictor
4x Tireless Tracker
3x Servant of the Conduit
3x Walking Ballista
2x Rishkar, Peema Renegade
1x Green HULK
1x Noxious Gearhulk

4x Gideon
2x Little Nissa
1x Ob
1x Sorin

3x Fatal Push
3x Grasp of Darkness
1x Ruinous Path

3x Traverse the Ulvenwald
4x Blooming Marsh
3x Concealed courtyard
3x Shambling Vent
3x Hissing Quagmire
4x Forest
3x Swamp
2x Plains
2x Evolving Wilds

SIDEBOARD
2x Gonti
2x Kalitas
2x Painful Truths
2x Natural Obsolesence
2x Fumigate
1x Ishkanah
4x Transgress the Mind

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

the story is trash, why are y'all defending it, what is this
I can certainly stop if it makes you uncomfortable, but it's actually okay to enjoy things.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Siivola posted:

I can certainly stop if it makes you uncomfortable, but it's actually okay to enjoy things.

If the TG subforum has taught me anything over the last decade, it's that this is false

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Why don't we all just right our own story as the somethingawful forum one paragraph at a time.
I'll Start:

Jace wakes up from a dream, but remembers his name is actually Jack. He puts his pants on slowly knowing an other school day means an other rear end kicking, and just an other day of his math teacher making fun of his lousy IQ; they just don't understand my superior ways of thinking, but soon they will.
He puts his favorite My Chemical Romance album into his walkman and walks out the front door hoping Soren won't bully him this day.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Jace should be fine because Sorin doesn't do anything.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

whydirt posted:

You might not care'mrakul, but other people do'mrakul.

This was, I think, peak "decent idea poo poo execution"

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Sickening posted:

I think removing creatures for value at 3 cmc or above in modern is good without being crazy. None of this is even online without vial until what, turn 4? Less with displacer? Still not seeing how its broken.

It's not a broken interaction with a format where you can cast an Expertise on turn 2 to cast Breaking // Entering for free and swing with Emrakul and keep the Emrakul. There's plenty of broken poo poo in Modern.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Siivola posted:

its okay to enjoy bad stuff, i agree. but don't pretend it isn't bad

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Rinkles posted:

Is that super broken by modern standards?

Removing a creature from the game for 2C the turn after you've died is way too powerful now if you'll excuse me I need to cast a turn 1 Chalice of the Void for 1 and reanimate a hasty Emrakul on turn 2.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Priest isn't too much in legacy but white really doesn't need another silver bullet card that a lot of decks can't beat, and this one is easily maindeck if you also play displacer. It's a card that kills some of the variety around right now. I say this as someone that LOVES playing hatebears effects in every format possible but also as someone playing abzan company.

As far as I'm concerned if your deck can't beat a 2 mana 2/2 with no ability to protect itself, that's a flaw with your deck, not with the card.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

its okay to enjoy bad stuff, i agree. but don't pretend it isn't bad
Fair. It's just, calling all this trash when comic books and Eragon exist feels sort of harsh.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Siivola posted:

The stories are written in-house by the creative team.

in house by randoms that want to write

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Siivola posted:

Fair. It's just, calling all this trash when comic books and Eragon exist feels sort of harsh.

Comparing comic books to Magic fanfic seems pretty harsh too, man.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Siivola posted:

I was never able to get into comics but I have read Eragon as well as Magic Story and I can confirm that both are, in fact, trash. I actually prefer and enjoy Magic Story but I think that's because I actually have an emotional connection to it and also haven't read Eragon in years

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Siivola posted:

The thing is, there's trash with a dead raccoon in it, and then there's trash with a live raccoon in it, but either way that's one raccoon i don't want anything to do with.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
There's actually zero difference between good and bad things. Surprised you guys didn't know that.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

The thing is, there's trash with a dead raccoon in it, and then there's trash with a live raccoon in it, but either way that's one raccoon i don't want anything to do with.
I think this sums up the conversation perfectly, because I think raccoons are actually kinda cute.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

LRR is doing a previews stream, first one was a Renewed Faith reprint and they have another one (non-reprint) they haven't revealed yet that they're building up to.

EDIT:
Prowling Serpopard
1GG
Rare
Creature - Cat Snake
Prowling Serpopard can't be countered.
Creature spells you control can't be countered
4/3

Sit on my Jace fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 30, 2017

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

LRR is doing a previews stream, first one was a Renewed Faith reprint and they have another one (non-reprint) they haven't revealed yet that they're building up to.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
A serpopard? Really?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
That cat seems very strong.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

the cat snake is adorable

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

CompeAnansi posted:

A serpopard? Really?

stupid name, cute picture

also a 3 mana 4/3, which seems good

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Catsnake is neat.

That Cycling Card puts more nails in aggro's coffin.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

TheKingofSprings posted:

That cat seems very strong.

Yeah. Luckily it only has 3 toughness, so Lightning Strike will be able to answer it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

the cat snake is adorable

I like the idea, but it looks like a WIP photoshop to me. The head specifically stands out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Is the story spotlight thing new to this set? It seems like a decent enough formalization of those story beat cards they seem to love. I hope it means they don't try cramming the Jacetice League into every other card.

• Locked thread