Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Westbrook is a transcendent destroyer of rims, what more do you want out of an MVP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Noctone posted:

Westbrook is a transcendent destroyer of rims, what more do you want out of an MVP

Facial hair

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Noctone posted:

That worked out well for Blake Griffin

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Ammanas posted:

I'm not sure that's true, KD wants a ring and whether or not GS wins last year moving to the warriors is his best chance to get one

Like if you're the warriors and just won the championship and you see KD is available do you say no thx we good? Of course not.

Durant said he wouldn't have gone there if they won the title.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Spacebump posted:

But... They did win a title? And KD went there anyway? I guess he's as good as his word. I hope Westbrook thanks KD's Mom too.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

EvanTH posted:

But... They did win a title? And KD went there anyway? I guess he's as good as his word. I hope Westbrook thanks KD's Mom too.

KD was talking about last year's title, not the previous year. Even he knows 2015 doesn't count because the Cavs health.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
^^ Heck I keep forgetting that championship didn't count. My mistake

BWV posted:

I hope the Raps get Becky Hammon after they get owned in the first round and fire Casey. Anyone within 6 feet of Pop will do a better job.

Wouldn't Nick Nurse be in line for the job?

edit: breaking news, Gilbert Arenas shares this rookie year picture of Nick Young hogtied in his hotel room covered in piles of one dollar bills:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BSRWIOigzuw/

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Nick Young just has no luck with other people's phones, huh?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Nick Nurse seems smart. Also Stackhouse really wants it and apparently is trying to be the first coach to jump from d-league head straight to an NBA head coach, but I'm a little less sold on him. However apparently the 905 are the no. 1 seed in the d league with a bunch of players who've never been called up so maybe he's got something going on.

Hammon seems good but there's a pretty long time scale on these things. Budenholzer and Brown both worked as assistants with Pop for like a decade before going to be head coaches. Then again Hammon has the playing experience so maybe that will speed things up. I hope she learns how to chew players out from Pop because the videos of that are gonna own so hard.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Spacebump posted:

That was a weak attempt to cover his rear end for ring-chasing. I dunno why, he should pursue his interests unabashedly.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
The NBA is at least catching a break with Rockets/Thunder being a very likely first-round match up. That'll give them a good story no matter how the series/MVP race turns out.

Other than that, right now you just have Jazz/Clips as an interesting series that could go either way, and every other series looks pretty dire. I guess there's a non-zero chance of a Milwaukee or Miami upset against non-Cleveland teams?

E: Speaking of Miami, are they going to set a record for team farthest under .500 to make the playoffs? I know, it's the East, but I swear they were like 10-30 at one point.

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
As much as I havent liked him in the past I'd be voting Harden for MVP

The current MVP just destroyed all of the contenders though

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I've also been wanting Russ to win because gently caress Kevin Durant but my guess is still it'll be Harden.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I'm still mad about David West killing the Spurs in the 4th quarter yesterday.

Where was that poo poo in the playoffs last year, you jerk!

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

gently caress Kevin Durant

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Noctone posted:

3 foul shots

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Noctone posted:

To defy conventional breakfasts.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I like watching westbrook brick jumpers.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The crunch wrap is kind of tasty but mine was cold in the middle and I assume that's because their equipment isn't calibrated to reheat cold scrambled eggs. Thanks for nothing Harden I stand with Russ

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

WhyteRyce posted:

The crunch wrap is kind of tasty but mine was cold in the middle and I assume that's because their equipment isn't calibrated to reheat cold scrambled eggs. Thanks for nothing Harden I stand with Russ

The life of a breakfast revolutionary is not always easy or comfortable but it's the right thing to do

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Tae posted:

I wouldn't mind Westbrook getting MVP but at the same time I think people who vote for him because he has an arbitrary slightly more rebounds as guard are dumb for missing the real reason why he should win it. His clutch performance in the last 5 minutes of a game is like historically good for a bad roster like the Thunder.

Last five minutes, leading or trailing by 5 or fewer points, sorted by TS% (minimum 20 attempts, minimum 20% USG)

The numbers are their rank if you remove the attempts or usage qualifications.

Dragic isn't last btw, he's 29 out of 71 qualifying players. So everyone in that list is in the top 40%.

Others out of interest (TS%/USG%):

Durant (54.6/27.2)
Wall (54.6/38.2)
Davis (51.7/36.3)
Giannis (50.9/30/2)
Melo (50.8/34.9)
CP3 (47.5/30.9)
Griffin (36.1/27.2) -- Dead last of all qualifying players

Clippers suck in the clutch, who knew?

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 30, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I never mentioned shooting percentage once. I'm talking net rating here, plus/minus, etc at triple the usage of everyone else is remarkable.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

attackmole posted:

Nick Nurse seems smart. Also Stackhouse really wants it and apparently is trying to be the first coach to jump from d-league head straight to an NBA head coach, but I'm a little less sold on him. However apparently the 905 are the no. 1 seed in the d league with a bunch of players who've never been called up so maybe he's got something going on.

They're not calling people up but they do send guys down there like Siakam pretty frequently.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

I just called Curry the Under Armor shookperson in irc and no one said lol to it :(

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
i r c?

who dat?

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Kibner posted:

i r c?

who dat?

I think it's like a telegraph

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Kibner posted:

i r c?

who dat?

The TRUE mvp

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Joerger won four D-League championships and still had to spend like 8 years as an NBA assistant before he got an NBA head coaching job but then again since then they gave a HC job to Derek Fisher right after he retired so I guess the question for Stackhouse is whether any GMs are as dumb as Phil Jackson.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Space Camp fuckup posted:

I think it's like a telegraph

it's from when you had to use the morse code of dial-up modems to communicate over the internet, right?

irc chats must have been the noisiest things ever that only goons who lived alone could deal with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jnc5qYfleA

imagine that constant chirping and beeps and grunts being how people used to talk to each other online

Good Work You Get An HIV
Feb 22, 2016

wait theres an irc for NBA talk

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Motherboard declared IRC a top ten communication method and I agree.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Rick posted:

Motherboard declared IRC a top ten communication method and I agree.

Right after talking to deaf people when they aren't looking.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
i get all my basketball clips via dialup BBS. can't wait to finish recieving this karl malone highlight film

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Tae posted:

If Presti didn't trade Harden to the Rockets for Jeremy Lamb, Durant would still be on the Thunder

*cue Twilight Zone theme music*

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Ammanas posted:

That was a weak attempt to cover his rear end for ring-chasing. I dunno why, he should pursue his interests unabashedly.

No offense but I think I'll go with KD's words over yours on this one.

edit: Then again believing the player isn't always the smartest move. See Steve Francis claiming his off the court issues weren't true followed by him getting a DUI and a burglary arrest.

edit 2: the post under this one is great.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 30, 2017

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Spacebump posted:

No offense but I think I'll go with KD's words over yours on this one.

https://twitter.com/kdtrey5/status/18688294600

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

attackmole posted:

Hammon seems good but there's a pretty long time scale on these things. Budenholzer and Brown both worked as assistants with Pop for like a decade before going to be head coaches. Then again Hammon has the playing experience so maybe that will speed things up. I hope she learns how to chew players out from Pop because the videos of that are gonna own so hard.

I think Stack will never get to HC. He is very hot headed, and potentially violent, which a cursory background check would flag right away.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Shear Modulus posted:

Joerger won four D-League championships and still had to spend like 8 years as an NBA assistant before he got an NBA head coaching job but then again since then they gave a HC job to Derek Fisher right after he retired so I guess the question for Stackhouse is whether any GMs are as dumb as Phil Jackson.

Stackhouse doesn't have the championship pedigree that Fisher and Kerr did nor the "I'm a born leader" PG card that Mark Jackson did.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I mean Jason Kidd beat his wife and seems to be getting along okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

lowly abject turd posted:

i keep seeing the base 10 thing but Westbrook averages 10.6 rebounds per game and harden averages 8. Base 10 or not Westbrook is still averaging ~33% more rebounds than Harden while averaging ~8% less assists (which might be more important tbh)

I don't think you can go wrong with either guy but Westbrook does stat hunt more (although Harden does as well) and they put him back into games that are out of reach so he can get the triple double. Also while triple doubles are cool it's just an arbitrary thing we celebrate.

I'd probably go with Harden as my MVP with Lebron as the second choice (he's having a really underrated season). Westbrook and Kawhi tied for 3rd.

• Locked thread