Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Kalsco posted:

Is the story spotlight thing new to this set? It seems like a decent enough formalization of those story beat cards they seem to love. I hope it means they don't try cramming the Jacetice League into every other card.

Kaladesh introduced it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Let's face it, Jace is going to be on every counterspell they print from now until forever.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

Let's face it, Jace is going to be on every counterspell they print from now until forever.

it's okay because now wotc realizes that smug Jace flavor text was improperly characterizing him so now instead you get eternal beta male Jace

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Count Bleck posted:

dragon enthusiast posted:

it's okay because now wotc realizes that smug Jace flavor text was improperly characterizing him so now instead you get eternal beta male Jace

:rip: Ertai.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
"Gods among the people, wow, that's such a cool idea. So inspiring, we've never seen this before!"

It really seems like they wanted to go back to Theros then decided "oh poo poo Theros sucked let's do Egypt!"

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
They've had the idea of doing an egypt set for basically ever.

Rinkles posted:

Kaladesh introduced it.

I know it's been around for two sets but I've yet to actually notice it when I'm looking at the cards in draft or whatever.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Does Serpopard rhyme with leopard :geno:

suhr-puhr-puhrd????

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

"Gods among the people, wow, that's such a cool idea. So inspiring, we've never seen this before!"

It really seems like they wanted to go back to Theros then decided "oh poo poo Theros sucked let's do Egypt!"

Remember Gideon is from Theros. This has a bit more meaning.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

GonSmithe posted:

Rinkles posted:

Yeah, it's not like Theros gods walked among the people. The card is Renewed Faith for a reason

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Wanna see a version of this in a later set with Elesh Norn in the parade.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Pinterest Mom posted:

Does Serpopard rhyme with leopard :geno:

suhr-puhr-puhrd????

I only just realized it's a portmanteau of serpent and leopard

with a po in the middle because why not.

Rinkles posted:

Kaladesh introduced it.

It's really easy to miss, which makes me wonder why they bothered.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

GonSmithe posted:

One of the reasons I'm more tolerant of the dumb overbranding of putting Bolas's horns on every loving thing is it keeps this set from feeling like a palette-swapped Theros a little bit.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Entropic posted:

They've had the idea of doing an egypt set for basically ever.

I know it's been around for two sets but I've yet to actually notice it when I'm looking at the cards in draft or whatever.

its only on 5 out of nearly 300 cards, and thats just kaladesh set, of course you haven't noticed it

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i dont want to do basic math cuz im lazy but if you do block kaladesh it's 10 out of like, 500 cards i think, thats a very tiny percentage of cards

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
lol that Renewed Faith is an uncommon. Looks completely unplayable unless there's some real good build-arounds that care about cycling. (fingers crossed that there are)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I did not realize the White goddess was black till now.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Wonder what cycling enablers they have in this set that this needed to be shifted up from common (which it was in Onslaught)

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I don't know why black people in an Egyptian setting is surprising.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

Did you somehow get that from my post?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Rinkles posted:

Yeah I'm pretty stupid.

That's how much I forgot about Theros, I literally forgot that's where Gideon was from.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Rinkles posted:

You seem mildly surprised?

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Rinkles posted:

Not really but its def the lowest hanging fruit. Lol goon surprised by black ppl in africa etc.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Rinkles posted:

I am still trying to figure out what the point of your post was.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

She appears much lighter skinned in the original art. Tan. I'm not surprised there are black people present, you dingus.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

GonSmithe posted:

Inspiring from Gideon's Therosian perspective where the gods live in the sky, hurl thunderbolts and tidal waves, and kill all your friends, yes.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

She appears much lighter skinned in the original art. Tan. I'm not surprised there are black people present, you dingus.

More interesting is how her eyes are silver in the left picture, and remarked upon as silver in the story yesterday, and green in the other. Could be some mood thing.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

GonSmithe posted:

Yeah I'm pretty stupid.

That's how much I forgot about Theros, I literally forgot that's where Gideon was from.

You can be forgiven since they only hinted at it before Origins.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

And you seem really loving goony

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

This card represents one of my favorite parts of the amonkhet story, the part where gideon was just kind of there doing nothing in particular

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

If we're going to be historically pedantic it's at least not clear that most ancient Egyptians were black; for instance, Ramses II was a redhead. Also this discussion is dumb since we're talking about a fictional world and wotc can do whatever they want.

Also this Renewed Faith reprint better come with its good friend Astral Slide.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

If you keep track of the people who actually hold ignorant views that post itt you can avoid all the shrieking/pearl clutching when someone just makes a bad/goony post.

Side note: if im the one explaining how to be chill and let small/accidental shite slide, you have really hosed up

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheKingofSprings posted:

That cat seems very strong.

I disagree. It's bad. It's basically just a 4/3 for 1GG with an ability that is not relevant.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The interesting this is that we already have two different hosers.

They aren't really hosing anything relevant in Standard but still.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

mcmagic posted:

I disagree... it's bad...

fixed

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

mcmagic posted:

I disagree. It's bad. It's basically just a 4/3 for 1GG with an ability that is not relevant.

You'll be sorry when they spoil Remand and Mana Leak.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Attorney at Funk posted:

You'll be sorry when they spoil Remand and Mana Leak.

It would still be bad even with those cards in the format.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

mcmagic posted:

It would still be bad even with those cards in the format.

HOT TAKES BASED ON 5 CARDS IN THE SET BEING SPOILED!

(I'm neither agreeing or disagreeing, just waiting until we have more spoilers)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Mezzanon posted:

HOT TAKES BASED ON 5 CARDS IN THE SET BEING SPOILED!

(I'm neither agreeing or disagreeing, just waiting until we have more spoilers)

I don't think that one is context dependent. It's just bad based on power level.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

a cat snake is a ferret

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Going back to mindcensor for a bit, remember that this set was originally planned to not be in the same standard as BFZ. So it's totally possible that it originally had fetchlands and mindcensor was supposed to be a foil to those.

• Locked thread