Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

So... that's Jun, right? Who would have been living with her? 'Cuz one of them's a communicator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Well Jun mentioned Nagisa died in a gas fire in Kazami's apartment where she got a big scar on her back

Like I know I sound like a tinfoil hat maniac considering I'm blaming a supposedly dead child for pretty much anything that happens, but I'm seriously pretty sure everything is Nagisa. Although this specifically I assume would be before she started her whole rage virus schtick

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry
Am I allowed to start my "Watase Did Nothing Wrong" campaign yet?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I've already started it. What Yuuri and Mashiro did was hosed up and evil.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Yuuri and Mashiro did nothing wrong. The only one who has done wrong is Natsuhiko, and that was 100% justifiable. Watase may not have done anything wrong. What if Jun or Kazami (probably Kazami) is projecting dead Nagisa onto the world? This explains a lot that's happened, especially the rage virus being a deep seated anger or desire for revenge. The person doing it is either the one who has had the most control up until they went rage (Kazami) or the person who raged first (Jun).

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Yuuri and Mashiro did nothing wrong. The only one who has done wrong is Natsuhiko, and that was 100% justifiable. Watase may not have done anything wrong. What if Jun or Kazami (probably Kazami) is projecting dead Nagisa onto the world? This explains a lot that's happened, especially the rage virus being a deep seated anger or desire for revenge. The person doing it is either the one who has had the most control up until they went rage (Kazami) or the person who raged first (Jun).

The person who raged first was Watase. I mean, look at that eye in comparison to the other rage virused people.

And in comparison to the memories...

Yeah, Watase was pretty Rage Virused.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 30, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I meant post lockdown. Watase's rage seems to be a precursor elememt or something.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Dies Irae: Days of Wrath: 06/07/2029, 18:26

Another long period of time passed from when Watase had saved those girls.

(This one's... 8 years after that dispatch, huh...)

Watase's life as a rescue worker continued after that day. He'd been on more dispatches than he could count and had saved many lives. It was by no means an easy life, but it was one he eventually got used to. Now in his early 30s, he was a man of extremely sound mind that had no disturbances in his life.

♪ BGM: Quiet Days of Rokumei City

Watase finished his shift and took a walk around the city at dusk with his mind at total peace. There had been a lot of peaceful days like this recently with no dispatches.

(Hmm, why do I feel a bit unsatisfied...? I mean, I never would have dreamed that there'd ever be days like this back then.)

Among those coworkers, there were two of them who had similar backgrounds as Watase. They were ''Seiji Dojima'' and ''Kazuki Hiyama''. Much like him, they had also lost family and loved ones in the Great Arson and had been brought up in the city. They had all become rescue workers for similar motives and were all close in age, so the three of them got along very well. He had been blessed with coworkers whom he could pour his heart out to, a job he that was worth doing-- and on top of that, a subordinate who loved him dearly. He'd often been thinking recently that his life wasn't so bad after all.

...?

The display read ''Caller Unknown''. Watase hesitated for a moment, then picked up the phone.

♪ BGM: Psychological Warfare

???: Mr. Watase Kasasagi, I presume?

He heard a man's voice on the other end. His voice sounded somewhat mechanical, like it was being filtered through a voice changer.

Umm... who is this?
???: I'm not one to give away my name. The truth is, there is something I'd like to tell you.
Huh? Me?

The man started talking dispassionately just as Watase was ready to fully write this off as a prank.

???: I apologize, but we've looked into you.
Huh?
???: Watase Kasasagi, age 31. Lost your family in the 'Great Rokumei City Arson' 15 years ago. After that, you were taken under the protection of Rokumei City and moved into municipal housing. You enrolled in firefighting school after graduating high school. After graduating that, you were assigned to the Rokumei City Fire Department. You quickly stuck out amongst your peers and passed the rescue worker exam two years later. You then enlisted in Sirius... I know it must have been tough for you to lose your family, but you avoided lashing out and grew up to be an honest man.
...!

Shivers ran down Watase's spine. For he didn't know for what reason his caller would run a background check on him.

...What the hell are you, some kind of stalker? Stalking other men? You sure have some sick hobbies.
???: It's not a hobby. There's a reason I looked into you. It's because you're an unfortunate victim of the Great Arson.
...Don't talk about that. I don't want to hear that kind of stuff from other people.
???: You are indeed probably tired of hearing people offer their sympathies for the loss of your family. I can understand why you don't want to talk about this-- But what if I told you that your family didn't die just because of some arson?
...What?

Watase gasped.

Hold on, what the hell's that supposed to mean!?
???: Let me make one thing clear in advance. If you learn the truth, your life will probably change forever.
...!
???: If you treasure your current life, then hang up now. Then everything will stay the way it is. You can go back to your peaceful life. But if you still wish to know the truth-- then come to the ruins of the Old Rokumei City Hospital. Alone.

And with those last words, the caller hung up.

H-hey!

There was no response from his PDA no matter how much he yelled at it.

(The ruins of the Old Rokumei City Hospital...? What ''truth'' is he talking about?) ...Dammit...

His desire to know the truth and his desire to keep on living in contentment were at odds in his mind. But Watase eventually made his decision, dashing out of his apartment.

The place where Wataru had lost her life had apparently been left the way it was for all those years. Probably because it was such a big hospital that demolishing it would cost a sum that no man was willing to pay. There was no sign of anyone in the ruined hospital.

Hey! Is anyone there!?

Watase's shouts simply echoed meaninglessly through the halls.

Tch... so it really was a prank.

Overcome with both irritation and relief, Watase was about to leave the ruins-- --when he spotted something shining on the ground by the entrance.

...The hell's this?

It was a PDA. He took a close look at it to find that the words ''Call in progress'' were displayed on its screen.

Watase picked up the PDA, a sense of unease weighing on his mind. When he did, he heard the voice of the man who'd called him earlier coming from the speakers.

???: Hey there. Looks like you really did come.
So it really was you. Rather roundabout way of pranking people, don't you think?
???: Several problems could possibly arise if you were to see my face. Please forgive me for resorting to this method.
And again, I don't get a word you're saying... Well, whatever. Anyway, keep your drat promise and tell me that 'truth' you were mentioning, or whatever.

The man started talking in a meek voice.

???: That's the event we now call the Great Rokumei City Arson... but there are many unsolved mysteries behind that incident, wouldn't you agree?
Huh? Well, yeah, that's true...

Watase knew about that too. Most of the information concerning the trials related to the incident had not been made public. The country and Rokumei City had been hounded by the media, but they hadn't gotten much information out of them apart from ''the incident was caused by an extremist group''.

???: They claim the incident to be a kind of terrorist attack committed by a group who aimed to reject Communicators. They say they kept the details away from the public to prevent copycat criminals and public unrest from rising up. Well, it all adds up... It's a rather simple story to swallow.
...What are you implying?
???: The truth is actually the other way around. The extremist group that was arrested were nothing more than scapegoats. The incident was actually caused by a lone Communicator.

Watase doubted what he heard.

A lone Communicator did that!? Don't be ridiculous. How the hell could a single Communicator set fire to 15 separate places in the city all at once?
???: It's possible. For the cause of it all was a Communicator who possessed an extraordinary power.
What...?
???: She eventually came to be known as 'Communicator A'.

The man began explaining the details about this Communicator in a subdued voice.

???: A's real name was Alice Enflamme. She moved to Rokumei City from France 15 years ago. At the time, the Rokumei City government was inviting Communicators from all over the world to move to the city. They needed human resources for various experiments and studies in order to advance their research in the suddenly valuable field of BC.

Watase remembered that. Rokumei City had indeed been doing just that all those years ago.

???: They called the one who came from France 'A'. A was the first Rank S Aptitude Communicator discovered in the world. That's why she caught Rokumei City's eye. A was shown in to the PRC and became a test subject for the study and development of BC abilities. Back then, all they knew about BC was that it allowed for abilities to send your voice to a faraway person and to read others' minds-- But the PRC discovered the underlying mechanisms of telepathy and empathy through their study of A. And through all those experiments, A's own BC abilities developed and grew stronger. She became able to use telepathy and empathy freely, their effective ranges grew wider, and her power just kept on growing on and on with no end in sight. But if that was all there'd been to it, there wouldn't have been any problems.

When the man said that, a ''floral scent'' drifted through the air from somewhere. The screen on the PDA then changed.

...What's this?

It appeared to be a magazine article written in a foreign language.

Watase felt like he had seen her somewhere before.

???: This is a French gossip magazine article about an incident that occurred in A's hometown in February 2014. A, with her tremendous power, was ostracized by the people around her. So one day... she set fire to her town to slaughter those who had ostracized her.
(Huh...!? I've heard that story somewhere before...)

Watase thought about it-- and then remembered. Wataru had told him about it back when she was still alive.

And when they were talking--

His memory was fuzzy because it'd happened so long ago, but he had a feeling he was right. The timeframe matched up and everything. The man continued as Watase frowned.

???: ...In other words, A was simply malice inoarnate-- a woman who, on a whim, tried to massacre every person in the City. She was pursued by the French authorities, but before they could catch her, she fled to Japan and was sheltered by the PRC. Luckily for her, the PRC developed her BC abilities... without ever realizing the true danger they possessed.
What was so dangerous about them?
???: You don't know? BC-- telepathy, that is, isn't just the ability to send your voice to a faraway person. You can also send your feelings to others with it. In other words, powerful BC could very well change other people's thoughts.
Ah...!
???: So what do you think would happen if someone filled with as much malice as A were to indiscriminately let her thoughts loose on everyone around her? Those thoughts would bring out the 'malice' that lurks in the hearts of every man. Her malice would spread to everyone around her like a virulent disease. ...Now you understand just how dangerous it is, don't you?
...!

Watase was rendered speechless. He just silently continued to listen to the man.

???: The researchers at the PRC raised an ordinary criminal into a bona-fide monster. The researchers realized how dangerous A was far too late and set up surveillance to keep her from wandering out into the city-- But on September 16th, 2014, A escaped from the facility.
Escaped... then you mean she...!

???: Those thoughts influenced the minds of the people of Rokumei City in some way. This caused the already high levels of malice held by would-be criminals to spike through the roof--

???: This is the truth behind the 'Great Rokumei City Arson'.

The man declared all of that in a clear voice.

Watase noticed that his hands had started shaking.

(He's saying a single woman became the trigger behind the incident...!?)

Watase remained silent as the man continued.

???: ...This was a scandal for the PRC, and consequently, a scandal for the Rokumei City government, the ones managing the PRC. But they won't admit to that. Rokumei City hid the truth behind the incident along with the existence of A. A was taken back to the PRC in absolute secrecy and confined in a basement of sorts again.

Wha... why LABO? That's a nuclear research facility, isn't it? Why would they send a Communicator there--?
???: No, LABO is no nuclear research facility. It's actually a BC research facility.
Impossible! I never heard anything about that!
???: Of course not. It's this city's biggest secret. But don't you think it's strange? There are many hurdles you have to overcome to create a new nuclear reactor. You have to clear strict construction standards and legal problems, then make the necessary arrangements with the city council-- yet all of those conditions were cleared quickly and LABO was built. Why was LABO able to easily overcome those hurdles and get built in the first place? The answer is simple: it's because LABO doesn't actually have a nuclear reactor. Because it's a BC research facility, not a nuclear research facility.
...!

--The ''common sense'' Watase had thought to be true up until this point was gradually being rewritten. The man waited a moment for Watase to respond, then continued.

???: But the one problem that stood in their way was the sentiments of the townspeople. Their antipathy towards nuclear power was overwhelming, as you'd expect. But the city explained to the civilians that 'the implementation of truly safe nuclear power is essential to Japan now that our natural resources are drying up'-- Which led to the townspeople finally accepting their decision.

Watase remembered the turmoil of that time. Watase had been 18 years old at the time, but as he had just enrolled in firefighting school, he hadn't had much of a reaction to all the fuss other than ''well, guess the City's gotta do what it's gotta do''.

???: ...But that series of events was all a cover. Everyone was opposed to 'nuclear power', but no one suspected that LABO was actually a 'BC research facility'. And they used the dangers and confidentiality of nuclear power research as a pretext to successfully keep the townspeople far away from LABO.
So you mean the guys behind Rokumei City even used the townspeople's feelings of opposition to their advantage...!? That's something no person should be allowed to do!
???: That is of trivial importance to the people of LABO. Their only moral code is to take the best possible actions for their research.
No way...
???: At any rate, LABO was then completed. And it's no ordinary research facility either. It's also a facility for keeping dangerous Communicators like A locked up. There's a residential area of sorts deep beneath LABO. That's where they confined A.
W... wait! Wasn't A put on trial? Why would Rokumei City shelter A after all she did!?
???: It's obvious. It was so that they could keep on using A as a lab rat after she had caused that huge incident!
What!?
???: The Rokumei City government and the PRC would be forced to take responsibility were the truth behind the incident to ever come to light. So the people behind Rokumei City figured they should cover the whole incident up and continue the research in another location. Thus Communicator A came to be known as 'Subject A' from that day onwards and participated in LABO's BC ability research and development. Meanwhile, with the PRC having served its purpose, it was turned into a mere dummy facility. That way, no one would suspect LABO was a BC research center. And thus, their perfect cover-up system was completed. Both LABO and the PRC are government managed facilities. Trace them back to their source and you'll find that they're all closely connected, under the jurisdiction of Rokumei City.

Watase thought things over as calmly as possible, despite the agitation causing his insides to tremble. He wanted to make sure there weren't any inconsistencies in what the man was saying.

...No, hold on... Is that really all there is to it? When you think about it normally, wouldn't someone in on the whole thing have tried to stop that whole chain of events?
???: They didn't. You see, back then, Rokumei City was all about focusing their efforts into BC research. I think you remember this too, but Japan was showing signs of being in an economic and industrial deadlock back in those days. And then new 'technology' known as BC showed up right there and then. The guys behind Rokumei City bet on that possibility and pressed forward with their BC technological development, even if it meant pushing every obstacle in their way aside.
What did they have to gain from that...!?
???: All of their advanced technology has the potential to earn them riches beyond your wildest dreams. BC is genuinely new technology that no one else in the world has invested in. If Japan beat the rest of the world to the punch in its research, that'd put them in the top of that field. The fact is that telepathy can be applied to the field of psychiatry... while empathy has nearly countless potential uses. It could be used for secret intelligence gathering in all sorts of fields, like industry, politics, and the military. Thus, those involved built a system based on their new interests and grew obsessed with doing whatever it took to protect those interests, even if it meant covering up anything inconvenient for them. And you're yet another victim of those efforts...
I am!?
???: 118 people died in the Great Rokumei City Arson. The bereaved families of the victims were given courteous patronage and granted assistance with their lives, moving on to college, and finding jobs. There are many others like you who were given homes in public housing and became civil servants. But don't you find that strange? Why would a simple local government go so far in taking the bereaved families of the victims into consideration? Their goal was to take the bereaved families under the city's wing and keep a close eye on how they developed from there.
That... that can't be...!
???: Having trouble believing it? Well, I don't blame you. Then I'll send you some documents we've obtained. Take a look at them and decide for yourself if what I'm saying is true.

An e-mail with an attachment was sent to the PDA right after the man said that.

(...?)

Watase opened the e-mail and checked the contents of the file. They were various documents that supported the man's claims. ''A photo of LABO's interior''-- This showed that LABO was no nuclear power research center. ''A photo of an e-mail sent from LABO to the PRC''-- This e-mail proved that a ''BC insulator'' that LABO had developed was publicly announced as something from the PRC. ''Subject A's Data''-- A lot of the data in this one had been deleted, but what remained did confirm that LABO had indeed confined a Communicator called that. All sorts of other documents were there, each one supporting the idea that what the man had said was true.

...Is what you're telling me... really true...!?
???: It is. Though it must not be easy to believe, nor is it something you would want to believe. But think back on how abnormal this city is. They control information and conduct surveillance on their townspeople without batting an eye, right? Anything's possible in this city, no matter how unbelievable it may sound.

Watase was taken aback at those words. The city had grown to do all sorts of things that would normally be considered a violation of human rights on the supposed grounds that Rokumei City was a ''government designated top secret city''.

The citizen database that only certain people were allowed to access... The townspeople had been opposed to the creation of every single one of them. But their complaints eventually died down, and the security cameras and so on were implemented little by little-- And before they knew it, all those things had become like air to the townspeople. No, the townspeople had simply ''gotten used'' to those abnormalities.

(...)

Watase felt chills run through him when it hit him just how strange the whole thing was. Since it wasn't directly related to them, no one had thought about it seriously. And thus all sorts of things that couldn't be undone had gone forward without him even noticing it.

...So what are you saying...!? My family... died because of that monster built up by the Rokumei City government and the PRC... Yet at the time, the Rokumei City government hid their crimes and never took responsibility... And... I received money from that very same government and lived a comfortable life up until today without knowing a drat thing...!?

Tips posted:

TIP: Crime Victim Support Laws Pt. 2
Category: Includes fiction

Sets of regulations for local self-governing bodies for the multifaceted support of crime victims including monetary compensation and livelihood support.

The Great Rokumei City Arson was caused by the N-ification of Subject A, but as it was publicly announced as arson caused by members of the Anti-BC League, these laws were applied. At the time, the media reported that ''the city was abundantly compensating bereaved families'', but on the other hand, this could also be seen as ''LABO had the city silence the bereaved families with financial assistance''.

Now that the dark side of LABO and the Rokumei City government has come to light, so too will this truth in the near future.

???: Unfortunately, that's exactly it. You were raised by the government responsible for your family's deaths and have been working for them as a civil servant.
--!!

Watase let out a wordless scream. His blood boiled and a deep red filled his vision.

F-f... gently caress that!! What happened to Subject A!? Is she still living in LABO!?
???: No, she died.
W... what...!?
???: After causing that incident, A was used by LABO as a human test subject-- and then died there just a year after she'd been confined. She probably died a cruel death. In the end, A too was nothing more than a victim of Rokumei City's wrongdoings.

A sense of emptiness filled Watase's body. Having immediately lost the target of his hatred-- he switched it over to a new one.

What happened with the Rokumei City government... after that? What happened with LABO after they lost their valuable test subject due to A's death?

A floral scent filled the air yet again at that moment.

???: Out of all the Communicators who live in Rokumei City-- those who possess particularly superb abilities are confined in LABO and made into test subjects. And so more monsters like A have been growing in number one by one.
Why would they ever do something like that!?
???: One of their goals is, naturally, to study BC. And the other one... is to create a kind of biological weapon.
Did you say... a biological weapon!?
???: The incident with A was merely an accident, but if you look at it from another angle, you'll find that Communicators who have become monsters can be used in interesting ways. For example, let's say you send one of them into the capital of an enemy nation. What do you think would happen next?
They'd amplify the malice of the city's residents... leading to mass chaos and destruction...?
???: Precisely. They could intentionally cause the same thing that happened in Rokumei City 15 years ago. If left alone for a few days, arson and crimes would spread through the whole city, criminals would run rampant, and public order would likely be impossible to restore. But the attacked party wouldn't even realize that they'd been attacked. For the core concept behind this biological weapon is that it devastates people's minds. A weapon that only damages a country's citizens without actually damaging the country itself. Truly a weapon of the new era.
But isn't Rokumei City just a local government!? What would drive them to do that!?
???: The truth is, the Rokumei City government has this intimate relationship with a certain foreign company. On the outside, they're just a pharmaceutical company, but behind the facade, they're an arms dealer. Merchants of death, as the term goes. Almost all of the sinister research being carried out is done at their request. ...But no one's realized this. So there's no one who can talk about or leak this. The truth will forever continue to be covered-up and vanish into the deepest darkness.
...I see... So Rokumei City... is trying to create more of those monsters responsible for Wataru and our parents' deaths...!

He sealed those pitch black flames deep within his chest and continued.

Hey, lemme ask you something... What do you gain from telling me all this? What do you want me to do...?
???: Let me reverse the question. What do -you- want to do?
???: Watase Kasasagi, I ask this straight to your heart. Now that you know the truth, can you return to that false peace? Tell me your true feelings.

Watase's heart pounded loudly at that request.

(Can I keep on living the same carefree life now that I know the truth...!?)

The Rokumei City government had killed his sister and parents, twisted his life-- And on top of all that, they'd hidden the truth and forced him to live an unknowing lie for 15 years. Watase had pushed his hatred of the culprit of the incident into the deepest corners of his heart by following his sister's dream. But the truth was, there was a certain desire he'd secretly held all these years.

...I... I wanted to make the culprit go through the same pain Wataru did.
???: Ah yes, Wataru was your sister, correct?
...Yeah.

She was weak, but motivated... Stupid, but gentle...!

Tears poured out of Watase's eyes when he said that. --Watase loved Wataru. He hated the one who had taken her away from him forever from the bottom of his heart. But everything about the culprit, including her very existence, had been concealed by the Rokumei City government. If possible, he would've very much liked to tear A limb from limb, but that was no longer an option. Then that left the Rokumei City government as the only target for Watase's hatred and anger.

...Hey... Should I feel ashamed... about wanting revenge...?
???: ...
...Is it okay for me to want revenge... when it's my job to save lives? Is it okay for me to hate the bastards running Rokumei City?
???: Of course.

The man's answer was clear and blunt.

???: It's only human... for you to hate your family's killer. And if you truly feel that way-- Then you can become one of us. Our comrade.

Watase heard footsteps coming from behind at that moment.

!!

Watase turned around in surprise--

Judging from the fact that he was holding a PDA, he had likely been the one talking to Watase just now.

Wh-who are you...!?
Me? I'm a researcher at LABO.

The man put his PDA away and answered.

What...!?

A whistleblower-- that term passed through Watase's head. He'd sent him pictures of LABO and data about the test subject just minutes ago. Only someone on the inside could have obtained those things.

But what did you mean by 'become one of us'... No, wait, what do you mean by 'us'?
You see, while I work as a researcher for LABO, I am also a member of a certain organization.
What organization?
The extremist organization who was arrested for the Great Arson 15 years ago. The ones who were branded as criminals instead of Communicator A.
--!

Watase was astonished.

Wait, do you mean... you guys are terrorists!?
Terrorists, huh? It's true that those who stand up against authority have been frequently called by that term.
Quit mincing words! What you guys do is commit acts of destruction, plain and simple! You're the ones who set up bombs at the PRC before, weren't you!? All you've done is give us that much more work to do--
Hold on! It's not like I'm a member of this extremist organization because I want to be! There's just no other organization out there who I can count on to oppose Rokumei City. That's all there is to it.
What...? But can't you just tell the police to...
Won't work. Considering the fact that they've been able to keep such a large-scale cover-up running for so long, it's best to assume Rokumei City has the police in their pocket. And when you look at how much information control is going on, that leaves the media out of the picture too. And before you suggest standing up to them by myself, that's out of the question too. Someone tried that once, and they got murdered in a way that looked like an accident. But despite all that, I want to reveal the truth...! I want to bring LABO's wrongdoings to light, even if it means making an enemy of the entire city!
Wh... why are you going so far!?
Much like you, I also have a reason to fight. My comrades and I are currently formulating a plan to deal a crippling blow to Rokumei City and LABO. And we need your help to carry out this plan.
You need... me?
You're free to refuse, of course. If you then proceed to go to the police and tell them everything you've just heard, I will most likely be arrested as a terrorist. Though perhaps LABO will get to me before the police can, and kill me.
I'm taking a huge risk by showing you my face and telling you all about my background. But I'd like to believe that you'll become one of our comrades... I want to believe that all the things you said about your deceased sister just minutes ago were true.

The man then looked Watase dead in the eye.

You can still turn back now. You can forget everything and return to your normal life. But if you want to fight Rokumei City alongside us-- Then become one of us.

Watase looked the man back in the eye. After a long silence, he finally answered.

...What's the name of your organization?
--Q. We are the ones who pose the unrelenting questions to this insidious world.

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

He'd had his suspicions for a while, but now he knew for sure that Ukita was also a terrorist.

(But... Mr. Ukita and Watase are making a grave misunderstanding.)

(Communicator A may indeed have been a dangerous being-- But LABO as it is now isn't creating any monsters! And of course, there's no way in hell that absurd story about them creating biological weapons is true, either...!)

Then that meant Watase's descent into terrorism was most likely all based on a misunderstanding. The more of Watase's memories he saw, the stronger the pain in Natsuhiko's heart grew. But he kept on viewing those memories to learn the truth.

--was an event that took place exactly one month later.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Holy poo poo. Ukita's a mole for Q?

Also, I've been looking at the links in the Enneagram, and I've found a few in-character ones:

Helper-Individualist: Louise and Mashiro are friends.
Enthusiast-Investigator: Natsuhiko and Watase are currently working together.
Investigator-Challenger: Jun and Watase both work in Sirius.
Reformer-Individualist: This Alice looks a lot like Louise (Sister? Mother?), and Keiji knows a lot about Alice.

Also also: Das Lied der Trennung is German, and Dies Irae is Latin.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Given the static in the memories, I'm taking approximately zero of this at face value.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Root Double is on sale for 10$ thus making me annoyed because I bought it for 17$~ earlier. Oh well. Game is good, buy it!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Oh no! The Brulee Organization! Watch out for the pudding Watase that's how they get you!

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Given the static in the memories, I'm taking approximately zero of this at face value.

Floral scent too. Crazy theory time: not only is Q the name of the Organization, but also the designation of the communicator that causes the rage virus (who is a nihilist thanks to horrible BC experimentation.)

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 30, 2017

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Straitjacket girl was almost certainly somewhere around there.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

TheMcD posted:

(Communicator A may indeed have been a dangerous being-- But LABO as it is now isn't creating any monsters! And of course, there's no way in hell that absurd story about them creating biological weapons is true, either...!)
Natsuhiko, did you miss the part where your mom was doing her best to make sure Yuuri was treated well? She's almost certainly the exception, not the rule.

Not that I trust this set of Watase's memories, but Natsuhiko doth protest too much.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I told you guys :mad: Also my thoughts are everything happened except for the memory bits with the floral scent, which were altered in LABO. Remember, Watase COULD have killed the kids before the LABO incident, but opted to just knock them out and tie them up. Once he's in LABO, N changed his memories and he turned into the guy laughing while shooting children.

I also have a feeling we're going to see a picture of Subject N pretty soon, which finally explains how Watase had that memory, it was as simple as Ukita showed him :v:

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
I've been holding the theory that there's communicator(s) behind Q (probably looking to eliminate the competition), and they're also responsible for the rage virus. I'm not sure if Watase's memories here support or destroy that idea - or if they've been so manipulated that it doesn't matter.

Whit27
Oct 14, 2012

Wh-What do you mean that's the actual plot?!
Okay, so the floral scent occurs right around a static image, or memory edit. So, if we take the sections between two static images as false information, here's what we get out of the infodump:

Rokumei City brought in a Rank S communicator from France with powerful abilities

*Edit* Communicator A was Salyu look-alike and she is evil incarnate with an ability to spread malice and hatred and started all of the fires.

Massive cover-up of the city's involvement in the arson; A is moved to LABO; A dies

*Edit* A's 'Malice' ability was being honed into a bioweapon and more 'monsters' were being created.

Watase loves Wataru, Ukita is in Q, Watase wants revenge.

So...all the references to the 'rage virus' seem to be edits. What if the communicators are really the victims but Watase's memory has been edited to believe the opposite?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Falsche Welt, dir trau ich nicht: False world, I trust thee not: 07/07/2029, 17:35

On that day, he left Watase with the words ''if you want to be one of our comrades, then feel free to contact me at any time''. Watase wracked his mind over what to do all throughout the next month-- --and then finally contacted Ukita.

♪ BGM: Psychological Warfare

Watase arrived there shortly after leaving work. Before long, Ukita also showed up with a tense look on his face.

Have you decided to become one of us?
No... I wanna ask you something before that.
What's that?
Why are you betraying LABO? I can't trust a man who'd betray his own organization without first hearing a clear reason that I can accept.

A bitter look rose to Ukita's face when he heard that question.

A floral scent wafted through the air when Ukita said that.

What? But aren't you guys the ones who are abducting Communicators and using them for human experimentation?
No, that's only done by a small number of employees known as 'Senior Fellows'-- high ranked researchers, in other words. Junior Fellows-- normal researchers-- like me know that LABO is a BC research facility, but don't know about the test subjects. But I accidentally discovered the truth, you see... It appears that there was someone who came before me who also learned of that secret, but he was killed. LABO thinks nothing of the lives of us Junior Fellows. So I figured I had to do something before I was next.
So you're doing this to protect yourself... huh.
I know it's much more pathetic than your reason-- but is it acceptable to you?
... Yeah.

Watase didn't think Ukita's reason was pathetic at all. It was only natural to want to save yourself when your own life was at risk.

(No one can blame him...)

I'll trust you. I'll help you out as much as I'm needed to.
...I am grateful beyond words to hear that.

Ukita then gave Watase a firm handshake. His hand was as thin as a dead tree, but his palm was filled with heat. --From that day onwards, Watase and Ukita began making preparations to put their terrorist plot into action.

♪ BGM: Pose the Question to this World

Before the meeting, Watase followed Ukita's instructions and checked the apartment to make sure it wasn't bugged anywhere. He was horrified to discover that there were indeed several bugs in his apartment, but he destroyed all of them. He was a bit cautious after that, but no new bugs were planted. It appeared he had probably long since ceased to be an observation target for Rokumei City.

--Okay then, I need to know everything, Mr. Ukita. Tell me all the details about the plan and its goal.

A faint floral scent filled the air when Ukita said that.

First of all, our ultimate objective is to abduct the test subjects.
Huh? What good's abducting monsters gonna do?
I believe I've already told you this, but a Communicator who's turned into a monster has the potential to become a biological weapon. LABO'S barbarity would come to an end were the world to ever learn of the danger they possess.
I see, that makes sense. That would probably result in an investigation into all the other things Rokumei City's been covering up all this time one after another.
Indeed. It would also deal a major blow to both LABO and Rokumei City.

LABO has strict security on par with that of a nuclear power plant, right?
Indeed. That's where you and your rescue squad come in.
What?
LABO's security has but one hole in it. It's the automatic 'disaster prevention system'-- their biggest blind spot.
So you're planning to exploit the disaster prevention system...?
Yes. When a fire breaks out in LABO, they automatically send a report to you guys at 'Sirius', right? That should allow you guys to break into LABO without being stopped by security.
...! I get it... so you're saying we should take advantage of the chaos following the fire to get those test subjects out!

Now he finally understood why Ukita had recruited him.

But this is just your way in. LABO's security system has layer upon layer of protection that will provide several obstacles towards the plan's execution. I'll explain them one by one.

Ukita took out his PDA.

This is a map of LABO. Q's comrades were able to steal this map from the contractors who built the facility. Anyway, take a look at this. The test subjects are being held captive in the deepest depths beneath LABO.
You mean in floor B2?

He'd heard that LABO had two surface floors and two basement floors. So he assumed that they'd be on the lowest floor--

No. Deeper than that.

What!? So there's a B3!?

Tips posted:

TIP: Deep underground

A concept of underground space usage based on the 2001 Law on Special Measures for the Public Use of Deep Underground.

Deep underground is legally defined in Japan as ''deeper than 40 meters, at depths usually unused for building basements'' or otherwise ''10 meters below a building's deepest layer of foundation''. In the mid 1950s, use of underground space became congested starting with the construction of underground trains in large cities. The Toei Oedo Line underneath Tokyo, for example, runs at an extremely deep depth of 49 meters at the deepest.

The technical limit is said to be 100 meters, but to avoid any potentially chaotic environmental damage, the aforementioned special measures law was enacted. Underground space dampens noise and vibrations, making it relatively safe, but it also gives rise to several technical issues such as ventilation and emergency procedures.

In Rokumei City, LABO's Area Zero utilizes this deep underground space. Just as its name suggests, Area Zero is a floor that isn't supposed to exist, and thus only a select handful of senior fellows in LABO even know about its existence. The purpose of Area Zero is the isolated confinement of Rank S Aptitude Communicators as test subjects. In addition to the artificial BC insulators used in the walls ceilings, the surrounding soil acts as a natural ''insulator'' as well.

That's where the two test subjects are being held. A place where no sunlight ever reaches.
So we've got two test subjects, huh... Do we know their names, ages, and genders?
No. All I was able to discover is that they're called 'Subject N' and 'Subject Y-II'.
Y-II? So there's a Y-I?

...I see.

(There's a third basement floor known as Area Zero!? ... So that means there's another floor under LABO!)

He didn't know which one referred to Yuuri and which one referred to the other girl...

(But that means what Yuuri said was true...)

There had also been a ''Subject Y'', but they'd already died, apparently.

(Did they also die from ''human experimentation''...? But nothing like that ever happened to Yuuri. Wait, hold on... could that mean that the test subjects were each treated differently?)

There was still too much Natsuhiko didn't know.

...Let's get back on topic. So the test subjects we need to save are in Area Zero--

They sure didn't pull their punches when it came to security on the thing...
Indeed. To make matters worse, even if you can get the test subjects out of Area Zero, there's another problem. As soon as you get out of Area N.

A Case N?

What's more, it causes indestructible bulkheads to block all routes to the surface, preventing anyone from getting out. Furthermore, the security team and staff will realize something's gone horribly wrong when a Case N is announced. Any staff still inside the facility will become desperate to find the escaped test subjects... while the security teams outside the facility will form a perimeter around the facility to prevent them from getting away.
That does sound like quite the challenge... Then is there any way to prevent a Case N from being declared?
No. The Case N declaration system is conducted by the supercomputer 'Brain Cell', which supervises all of LABO. It has three control systems that mutually complement each other. It's impossible to knock them all offline at the same time.
... Talk about thorough.
Yes. Though apparently you can take the test subjects all the way to Area 5 if you go through standard procedures...
Area 5? Why's that the one place it's okay to take them to?
There are rooms in that area where they conduct examinations and experiments on the test subjects. Therefore, it's the only place where the test subjects are allowed to be taken to-- But even in the case they are taken to Area 5, it appears a Case N is still declared if they ever approach the elevators and emergency staircases.
So what you're saying is that it's impossible to leave the facility with the test subjects even if we manage to get in there...?
Yes. But we must do it regardless. We have to make the impossible possible.

Watase nodded. There were three major problems with the plan. The first one was finding a way to get past the security card and retinal scan checks to get down to Area Zero. The second one was finding a way to get the test subjects out of there without being discovered by the staff still in the facility. The third and final one was finding a way to escape the facility with the test subjects even after a Case N had been declared.

Let's cover the first problem first: how to get down to Area Zero... We'll probably have to render some high ranked researchers unconscious on the day we execute our plan, then take them with us and force them to do the retinal scan. That's also how we'll get the cards. That way, we can get down to Area Zero by making it look like we're going through standard procedures.
I don't like the idea of doing that... but we have no choice, huh.

Watase accepted Ukita's proposal.

Let's move on to the next issue then. As for how we can deal with the staff in the facility-- We've decided to use the Case N declaration against them.
...? What do you mean?
It's a little complicated, but hear me out. It'll go something like this:

And with that lead in, Ukita began explaining.

First things first, LABO has this machine in it called a WX particle amplifier. It will go haywire if handled incorrectly. 'Brain Cell' will automatically take action to stop the machine once it goes haywire-- But it will take time for it to stop it. If we intentionally cause it to go haywire, that process will take 12 hours. And if a Case N is declared at the same time the WX particle amplifier is going haywire... then it will be impossible to call off the Case N until the machine has stopped going haywire. It will be absolutely impossible for them to open up the sealed bulkheads.
What? Why won't they be able to open up the bulkheads?
The WX amplifier is basically a machine that spreads elementary particles that amplify the effects of BC. Can you imagine what would happen if a test subject escaped while that machine was going haywire? It's likely they'd use BC to seek help from people outside. In the worst case scenario, the townspeople could end up receiving the test subject's telepathy.
I see... now I understand why they won't be able to open the bulkheads. It's just yet another part of their whole cover-up. But what does that have to do with how security teams will try to deal with it?
Right. I was about to use that as the basis to explain what we should do. First, we'll start a fire in the facility and force the staff and security teams to evacuate. We won't rescue the test subjects just yet at that point. But if the WX particle amplifier goes haywire and a Case N is declared after they've all evacuated-- Then there'll be no one left in the facility.
Everything sounded like a good idea up until that point. But won't that mean we won't be able to get outside?
Incorrect. There is still a single place we can escape from even with the bulkheads locked down.
What!? Where's that!?
The WX particle amplifier's coolant pipes.

Ukita fiddled around with his PDA again after he said that.

The water used for the WX particle amplifier's coolant is drawn in from Lake Rokumei. The coolant's intake and drainage pipes are 1 m in diameter. Just big enough for a person to fit in. The pipes are filled with hot water that circulates at high speeds-- But the whole thing's set up so that the water automatically stops flowing if you destroy the coolant's 'filtering mechanism'.
Wait, hold on. Won't opening a hole in the intake pipe flood all of LABO?

Watase pointed to a part of the diagram and spoke.

According to this diagram, the 'intake pipe' is located under Lake Rokumei's water level. Meaning water will pour out of the pipe all at once if you open a hole in it, running water or not... and LABO will be flooded.
Right, which is why we'll open a hole in the drainage pipe. There's a giant pump inside the drainage pipe. That will prevent us from passing through--

Ukita said that with a broad grin on his face.

Did you say... destroy it? How?
If you destroy the pump first, then your main obstacle will be the water in the pipe. But if we stop the water from running and open up a hole on the bottom half of the pipe--
...Oh, I get it! Then we can drain the water!
Glad you get it.

The drainage pipe's exit was above Lake Rokumei's water level. Meaning that unlike the intake pipe, opening a hole in there would cause much less water to pour out.

So our next issue is how to destroy the pump after we've drained the water, but-- This is where I'd appreciate some ideas from you. Can you think of any specialized rescue equipment that can be used to destroy the pump?
Let's see... special equipment to destroy a pump, huh...

Watase thought the whole thing through, then quickly found an answer.

...I know. A jackhammer should probably do the trick.
A jackhammer?
You know, the tool used to smash down bedrock. We use it to rescue those who are trapped behind fallen debris. So it shouldn't look all that suspicious if we use the fire as a pretext to bring one down to the basement.
Indeed, that sounds like it would work nicely...! But how much time do you think it'd take for one of those things to destroy the pump?
Well, if we kept working without a break... I'd say about 3 hours or so. But you said that the bulkheads will remained closed for about 12 hours if a Case N is declared, right? So it might take a little time, but it shouldn't be a problem.
...!
After we force the facility into lockdown, we'll take our time destroying the pump... and then we can escape to Lake Rokumei with the test subjects. Those dumbasses at LABO will just be waiting outside the facility the whole time for the lockdown to be lifted. And when the bulkheads finally open... they'll find nothing more than an empty husk.
Incredible! It's the perfect plan!

Ukita broke out into a reassured smile. Satisfied, Watase returned Ukita's smile with one of his own.

All right, then let's go with this plan! Things are about to get busy!
Yes! There's a lot of things we'll need to prepare in order to execute our plan!
It's about time we got to thinking about the starting point though: how do we cause the fire in the facility?
Leave that to me. I'll contact other Q members and get incendiary bombs and the other necessary equipment from them.
Thanks, you're a lifesaver.

And so Watase and Ukita began formulating their plan on a grand scale. --Ukita contacted other Q members and gave them the outline of the plan. Q gave their answer on the spot. ''It's a good plan. We approve of it as well. We'll back you up in every way we can.'' Once they got that answer, Watase and Ukita collaborated with the other Q members located in Rokumei City to move forward with the plan. First, they got their answer on how to cause the fire. ''We will prepare 100 incendiary time bombs. Set those up in LABO and make them go off all at the same time.''

That will indeed be difficult. Someone will spot the bombs shortly after they're planted and cause a big fuss.
Then can't we hide the bombs in something to disguise them? That way they won't suspect they're bombs when they see them. Like, for example... by putting them in fire extinguishers.
Fire extinguishers?

We replace their old fire extinguishers with new ones once every two years as part of that program. That's our chance. If we use that opportunity to switch the fire extinguishers out with ones filled with the bombs--
I see! Then we could set bombs up all over LABO in no time! And no one ever looks at what's inside a fire extinguisher, so we won't have to worry about anyone finding them! It's the perfect camouflage!
All right, then we'll go with that. We're scheduled to replace the fire extinguishers in September of next year. After that, LABO will be filled with bombs disguised as fire extinguishers.

--They also received various orders from Q. ''As for us, we would like you to physically destroy LABO. It is a symbol of Rokumei City's wrongdoings. By destroying it, we can let the world know of our resentment. We have prepared a powerful time bomb that will blow LABO sky high. Plant it inside the facility.''

But destroying LABO has a huge benefit to us. If we cause an explosion powerful enough to blow up the entire facility, then won't LABO's staff waiting outside believe that both we and the test subjects died in it?
I see, so that way, we'll pull the wool right over our pursuers' eyes... but there's one major problem with that. If I've got this right, in order to get down to Area Zero, we have to knock out two high ranked researchers and take them down with us for authentication, correct? But that means they'll be stuck in the facility after the Case N is declared. Then they'll get caught up in the explosion.
That's true...
On the other hand, I think it's far too risky to take them with us when we escape, so I'd rather not. It's a rather tight escape plan.
...All right, then how about this? We'll set the time bomb so that it goes off one minute after the lockdown lifts. That should give both of them just enough time to escape.
Is there a way we can figure out the time the Iockdown will be lifted in advance?
Brain Cell's monitor will show the expected time for when the lockdown is to be lifted. We'll check that, then set the bomb's timer for one minute after that. ...Though to be honest, it's a rather desperate measure.
Can't do anything about that. I mean, we're trying to carry out a terrorist plot without killing anyone. It sounds nigh-impossible.
But aren't we being naive... for coming up with that idea?
No, it's the right thing to do. We'll be lower than poo poo if we kill anyone-- no better than the guys at LABO.
...Yes, you're right!

(Did they just say that there's a powerful time bomb that can blow LABO sky high!? And that they planted that thing in LABO!?)

(Watase, Mr. Ukita, what have you done...!?)

But on the other hand, there was something else that was really bugging him.

(But... something's weird. Watase said he wanted to avoid casualties... Like Mr. Ukita said, that's a rather naive idea for a terrorist... Was he thinking that though Communicators were ''monsters'', he didn't want to kill any ''humans'' if possible? Are Communicators and humans totally different species in Watase's mind...?)

It was indeed somewhat strange, but Natsuhiko continued to read through Watase's memories.

It was then that Q sent their third set of orders-- ''We're uneasy about only two people carrying out the plan. We would prefer it if you could get about two more people for the job. We would like you to invite Mr. Seiji Dojima and Mr. Kazuki Hiyama, Comrade Kasasagi's coworkers, to become our comrades.'' Watase understood what they were getting at. But though he was okay with just himself being a part of it, was it really okay for him to get his coworkers wrapped up in this terrorist plot?

(... Those guys have the same background as me. Dojima lost his girlfriend in the Great Arson while Hiyama lost his younger brother. So if they learn the truth, they too should hate Rokumei City's barbarism enough to want revenge... just like me...!)

The exact same way I did... They shook with anger and agreed to join Q.
I see... then that means all the necessary pieces are now in place.

And thus Watase and Ukita's plan was now complete. They'd plant incendiary bombs in fire extinguishers and artificially start a fire. Next, they'd cause the WX particle amplifier to go haywire, rescue the test subjects, and cause a Case N to be declared. Once the lockdown began, they'd set the time bomb in the facility, then escape through the coolant's drainage pipe.

...So all that's left is to actually do this, huh.
Indeed.

Ukita took out his PDA.

Q has sent us one last order to this PDA. I'll read it for us.
What's it say?
--We are grateful for all your efforts, Comrades Kasasagi and Ukita. We will now commence preparing the bombs and weapons necessary to carry out this plan. These include 100 incendiary bombs disguised as fire extinguishers, a 3 kg 'tetryl' explosive that will be used to destroy LABO, and three 'NZ-75' pistols for self-defense.

Tips posted:

TIP: NZ-75

The automatic pistols that Watase, Dojima, and Hiyama took into LABO as provided by Q. Loading capacity is 15+1.

The NZ-75 is produced by the Chinese manufacturer Norinco and copied off of the original Czech CZ-75. The CZ-75 is highly valued for its ergonomically designed grip and high precision, and was even said to be the best gun in the world at the time of its manufacture in 1975. However, to achieve its level of high precision, each gun had to be machined out of steel individually, and furthermore, the state-managed Czech Arms Factory was unable to get foreign patents, and thus CZ-75 clones and knock offs appeared in international markets in large quantities.

The tetryl and pistols will be mixed in with the rescue squad's special equipment and delivered on D-day. Your target is the 6th Laboratory of Atomic and Biological Organization. Your objectives are to destroy the facility and abduct the two test subjects. The plan will be carried out approximately one year from now-- on September 16, 2030.
...The anniversary of the Great Rokumei City Arson, huh.

That day probably held unpleasant memories for Q's members, whoever they were. It was clearly no coincidence that they picked that day of all days to commence their plan.

--Until that day, each comrade is to make further preparations. There are countless things you must do in advance, such as hand-to-hand and firearms combat training.

Tips posted:

TIP: Q-style Martial Arts
Category: Fiction

A close combat style taught only to Q members. Based on Japanese kempo and mixed with wrestling, Kosen judo, and karate, it is a martial art focusing on actual combat-- similar to the National Police Agency's taiho-jutsu and the Japanese Self-Defense Force's kakuto-jutsu. Since Q doesn't mind resorting to terrorism, it can also be said to be a martial arts style specialized for counter-counter terrorists. After Watase joined Q, he studied and trained in this style of martial arts with a former JSDF member he connected with.

Naturally, you mustn't tell anyone else about the plan over the course of the next year, to say the least of opening your heart to anyone. Rokumei City is full of countless Communicators. If you open your heart to someone, they might read your mind and find out all about the plan. All Communicators are not like us-- they're monsters with strange powers. The now deceased Subject A wasn't the exception. She was the standard. Think of all Communicators as abominations. Think of Rokumei City as a city full of monsters. We must put an end to this abnormal town's history. You may find that to be a rather extreme mindset, but unless you take precise caution, our flawless plan will come crashing down. Bear all of that in mind as you wait for the day of reckoning. The day where the truth shall be brought to light and 118 lost souls shall at last rest in peace--

Once Ukita had finished reading the long piece of text, he shot Watase a pointed gaze.

...That's a rare view to voice these days, wouldn't you agree?
Communicators are abominations, huh...
Perhaps that's going too far, but it is indeed true that we cannot open our hearts to anyone.
...Yeah, you said it.

All the way until September 2030--

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

Watase :smith: You've been manipulated since day 1, bud.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Ukita did everything wrong.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Ukita did nothing wrong.

Whit27
Oct 14, 2012

So, going by my previous theory on the memory edits the false information in this segment would be:

*edit* Ukita's motivation

*edit* Abducting the 'monsters' or 'biological weapons' to show the world how dangerous they are.

It's beginning to look a lot like Watase's memory was hijacked by Q to make his ideals fit their own.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Danaru posted:

Ukita did nothing wrong.

Ukita is the hero we deserve!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Kinderszenen: 09/13/2030, 15:38

Das Jahr der Vorbereitung des Terrorplans verging in null Komma nichts. Watase war nicht anzusehen, war er vorhatte, und er arbeitete weiterhin als ein Rettungsarbeiter, genauso wie er es vorher getan hatte. Dojima und Hiyama taten das gleiche. Sie trafen sich so wenig wie möglich mit Ukita und warteten nur auf den 16. September. ...dann aber änderte sich etwas am 13. September, drei Tage vor dem Schicksalstag. Watase war an diesem Tag nicht im Dienst. Es würde sein letzter freier Tag als ein Rettungsarbeiter sein, also entschied er sich, den Tag damit zu verbringen, durch die Stadt zu wandern.

♪ Musik: Unruhige Zeiten in Rokumei City

--Er wanderte ziellos durch die Stadt, in der er geboren und aufgewachsen ist.

(... Ich werde wahrscheinlich nie mehr in diese Stadt zurückkommen können, sobald der Plan ausgeführt worden ist...)

Dieser Gedanke ließ ihn rührselig werden.

Verschiedene Erinnerungen schweiften jedes Mal durch seinen Kopf, wenn sich die Umgebung veränderte. Erinnerungen an das Restaurant, zu dem er mit seinen Eltern gegangen ist.

Erinnerungen an das Kleidergeschäft, in dem seine Schwester ihm neue Klamotten gekauft hat.

(Diese Stadt ist voll von Plätzen mit Erinnerungen an meine Familie...)

Er war es sich normalerweise nicht bewusst, aber diese Stadt strotzte nur so vor Nostalgie für ihn. Und es waren auch nicht nur Erinnerungen an seine Familie, an die er dachte.

Es gab die Kneipe, die er auf der Kneipentour mit Dojima und Hiyama in der Nacht gefunden hat, in der sie die Rettungsarbeiter-Prüfung bestanden hatten. Es gab das Cafe, in dem er sich von seiner ersten Freundin getrennt hat. Es gab die Straße, die er angeschmiegt an seiner letzten Freundin entlang gelaufen war. Watase versuchte, diese ganzen Erinnerungen beiseite zu legen und seinen ersten Schritt in ein neues Leben zu nehmen.

(... Wenn ich sagen würde, dass ich keine Bedenken hätte, wäre das gelogen.)

Aber er musste es trotzdem tun. Diese Schlussfolgerung hat er schon vor langer Zeit gezogen.

(Weil ich der einzige bin... der Wataru und meine Eltern rächen kann.)

Als der einzige Überlebende der Familie Kasasagi würde er Schande über das Andenken seiner Familie bringen, wenn er mit seiner Rache aufhören würde, bevor sie überhaupt angefangen hat. Das sagte er sich selbst.

--Es dauerte nicht lang, bis graue Wolken zusammenzogen.

(Sieht so aus, als würde es regnen...)

Da Watase es hasste, im Regen nass zu werden, lief er zur nähesten Bushaltestelle. Ein Bus kam kurz darauf an, Er stieg ein und bemerkte, dass es sehr voll darin war.

(Vielleicht hätte ich ein Taxi nehmen sollen...)

Watase stand zwischen den anderen Passagieren, als er dies dachte-- --aber dann wurden seine Gedanken durch die Geräusche vom Gerede von Studenten in den benachbarten Sitzen unterbrochen.

Natsuhiko, gibt es irgendetwas, das du kaufen willst?
Nein, nicht wirklich...
Das ist ja langweillig. ...Ich hab's! Lasst uns dieses Mal Klamotten für Natsuhiko aussuchen!
Nein, das brauchst du nicht.
Warum nicht? Du siehst ja von vornherein ganz gut aus, also kannst du es nicht dadurch verschwenden, dass du die ganze Zeit so schlicht bist.
Moment einmal... willst du mich in deine nächste Anziehpuppe verwandeln?
Hihihi, so könnte man es auch sehen.

Der Junge erwiderte die Verspieltheit des Mädchens mit einem krummen Lächeln. Gedanken schossen durch Watase's Kopf, als er der Unterhaltung zuhörte.

(Es kommt mir so vor, als hätte ich das schon mal gehört... wo war das noch mal...?)

Watase dachte darüber nach, und dann erinnerte er sich daran.

Ich hab's! Wie wäre es, wenn deine große Schwester dir ein paar Klamotten aussucht!?
Nein, das brauchst du nicht.
Warum nicht? Du siehst ja von vornherein ganz gut aus, also kannst du es nicht dadurch verschwenden, dass du die ganze Zeit so schlicht bist.
Ist das deine subtile Art, dir selbst ein Kompliment zu geben?
Hihihi, so könnte man es auch sehen.

(Ah, genau... das ist genau so wie diese Unterhaltung, die ich mit Wataru hatte, als sie noch am Leben war... Mann, das ruft Erinnerungen wach.)

Und sobald er ein Gefühl der Kameradschaft mit diesen Jugendlichen hatte, da sah das Mädchen ihn an, und nur dann realisierte Watase es.

Das Mädchen trug eine Uniform von der Akademie Rokumei-- Das war die Schule, in der Kommunikatoren unterrichtet werden.

(--Die sind Kommunikatoren!)

Watase gab einen erstaunten Atemzug von sich.

(Scheiße... es kann sein, dass ein Kommunikator meine Gedanken lesen wird, wenn ich ihnen mein Herz öffne.)

♪ Musik: Unheilvolles Ambiente ♫

--Da sie Schüler der Akademie Rokumei waren, wäre es nicht erstaunlich, wenn sie Empathie einsetzen könnten.

(Beruhige dich, denk an nichts! Auch wenn es unwahrscheinlich ist, wenn irgendjemand deine Gedanken liest, wird sich der Plan in nichts auflösen! Die Mitglieder von Q sagten, dass ''Kommunikatoren Abschaum seien"... und dass wir die Geschichte dieser Stadt dem Erdboden gleich machen müssen. Halte nur noch ein paar Tage durch! Öffne dein Herz für niemanden! Ich muss annehmen, dass diese Stadt mit Monstern gefüllt ist...!)

Watase dachte das und schloss dann seine Gedanken.

(--Gib deine Emotionen auf und konzentriere dich nur darauf, den Plan auszuführen. Denn Versagen wird ganz bestimmt nicht toleriert werden...)

Watase legte dieses kalte Versprechen ab und hielt es während die nächsten paar Tage vorbeizogen.

Natsuhiko war traurig, als er diese Erinnerung sah.

(Watase... war das, was du gedacht hast, als du uns gesehen hast? Also bist du im Innersten wirklich nur ein Terrorist, der Kommunikatoren hasst?)

Diese unerträglichen Gedanken tobten durch Natsuhiko's Kopf, als er weiter Watase's Erinnerungen durchblickte.

(Das ist es... als nächstes kommen seine Erinnerungen an ''heute''...)

Natsuhiko bereitete sich mental vor. Er schwor, die Wahrheit, die dort auf ihn wartete, zu akzeptieren, egal, was es war--

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

It took me a second. :golfclap:

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

It took me much longer than a second, which makes me sad.

Whit27
Oct 14, 2012

Aha! Q is a secret German organization that indoctrinates its members! I knew it! :smug:

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Does anyone else smell flowers?

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Hey, look at my sudden fancy analog watch!

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

TheMcD posted:

Es gab das Cafe, in dem er sich von seiner ersten Freundin getrennt hat. Es gab die Straße, die er angeschmiegt an seiner letzten Freundin entlang gelaufen war.

Es interessiert mich, dass Watases Freundin genannt ist, aber wir haben nicht in diesem Teil über Kazami gehören. Wird Watase seine Beziehung erinnern, wenn Natsuhiko sich nicht von ihr bewusst?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Mister Olympus posted:

Es interessiert mich, dass Watases Freundin genannt ist, aber wir haben nicht in diesem Teil über Kazami gehören. Wird Watase seine Beziehung erinnern, wenn Natsuhiko sich nicht von ihr bewusst?

Die wahrscheinlichste Antwort ist, dass Sinnes-Sympathie nicht auf einem höheren Level funtkioniert. Sprich: Wenn man sich an eine Zeit erinnert, in der man sich an etwas erinnert hat, dann erinnert man sich nicht wirklich an diese zweite Erinnerung. Also würde Watase aus dieser Szene nur lernen, dass er Freundinnen gehabt hat, was nicht wirklich großartig interessant ist.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Hail Hydra Q

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Was für eine tolle Aktualisierung!

AlphaKretin posted:

It took me a second. :golfclap:
Alles ist normal. Worüber redest du?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Ich schäme mich zu sagen, dass ich Google Translate hier verwenden muss.

Also, das ist ein Scherz des Aprilscherzes, richtig?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Hefeweizen

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Uh so what exactly are the rules for German capitalization? Cause it seems like it's all over the place.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

H...hail Hydra? :ohdear:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
ICH BEN EIN BERLINER!

Now if only the update was written in Jelly Donut :(

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

Uh so what exactly are the rules for German capitalization? Cause it seems like it's all over the place.

First words of sentences and nouns. All nouns, no matter where they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Alright, April Fools' Day is over in Germany now, time to go back to normal. So yeah, that was an April Fools joke. I figured that since I've been doing it in one direction for several LPs, I might as well give it a shot the other way around.

I have to say, it's a lot harder. That might be because of a lack of practice, though.

I'll post the English version of that update once I'm done with the next chapter, because I want to post that one as well. As you might have gathered from the end of that chapter, the next memory we'll see will be Watase's memories of the day of the incident. poo poo will go down.

• Locked thread