Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Catalina
May 20, 2008

Technowolf posted:

Crusader Kings II: I just became gay for my dead half-brother

You'd think that after 1200 hours of playing the things that can happen in this game would stop being new and funny to me, but nope, they're still funny as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Put your kid under a good steward for steward education, a good martial for martial education, etc. etc. The focuses are 'education' focuses that steer the kid towards getting traits benefitting that education.

But the way the actual education trait works makes no sense. I want to train him to be a warrior even though I am a jack of all trades, so he gains a diplomatic education! The hell?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Sometimes I get people asking if they can marry some random courtier in my realm, and I usually say Yes if the courtier doesn't have any claims. Is there anything else I should be doing with that or careful about with that, or is it just a "hey, if you have any unmarried kids looking for a good marriage, this person's looking and not too picky" indicator?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

Sometimes I get people asking if they can marry some random courtier in my realm, and I usually say Yes if the courtier doesn't have any claims. Is there anything else I should be doing with that or careful about with that, or is it just a "hey, if you have any unmarried kids looking for a good marriage, this person's looking and not too picky" indicator?

Are they from Doges? Cause I get those all the time, too.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I say yes to those random marriages all the time and have never had a problem with it. Unless I'm missing some opportunity I wasn't aware of but you can check their claims and stuff if you really care.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

I always take a quick peek to see who it is, and then unless it's someone from my dynasty or someone I had plans for in the future, I accept.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
Just check the courtier's stats and traits to make sure they wouldn't be good educators for your children, or boost your enemy's intrigue score too much...

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Midnight Voyager posted:

But the way the actual education trait works makes no sense. I want to train him to be a warrior even though I am a jack of all trades, so he gains a diplomatic education! The hell?

It does tho. You goofed by putting kid under a jack of all trades, that's rolling the dice on what the kid picks up. Last night I put my kid intrigue focus and had him educated by his martial dad and I ended up with an angry spy master who was good at fighting. System works!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

It does tho. You goofed by putting kid under a jack of all trades, that's rolling the dice on what the kid picks up. Last night I put my kid intrigue focus and had him educated by his martial dad and I ended up with an angry spy master who was good at fighting. System works!

Hello, kid, I can do anything. I am teaching you how to be a soldier. That is the education I am giving you. *Kid turns into a Diplomat despite not being taught that??*

Still, that's definitely not how it worked out for me, because I had a diplomatic mentor whose charge turned into a steward when I put them on intrigue. I gave up trying to figure out how it worked and started just educating my heir and making them EXACTLY the same education that I was because I'd rather educate my heir and it's the only way to be sure.

I like the other stuff in the mod, but the education stuff is bizarre. There's also some weird stuff like cruelty being so easy to get from enforcing justice, blots suddenly don't work at all, and I think it's somehow picked up that old CK2+ bug where people lose their eyes at random. It's an interesting change, but it's got some weird quirks to it.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Midnight Voyager posted:

Hello, kid, I can do anything. I am teaching you how to be a soldier. That is the education I am giving you. *Kid turns into a Diplomat despite not being taught that??*

Still, that's definitely not how it worked out for me, because I had a diplomatic mentor whose charge turned into a steward when I put them on intrigue. I gave up trying to figure out how it worked and started just educating my heir and making them EXACTLY the same education that I was because I'd rather educate my heir and it's the only way to be sure.

I like the other stuff in the mod, but the education stuff is bizarre. There's also some weird stuff like cruelty being so easy to get from enforcing justice, blots suddenly don't work at all, and I think it's somehow picked up that old CK2+ bug where people lose their eyes at random. It's an interesting change, but it's got some weird quirks to it.

I don't know much about CK2+, but it sounds like it's largely modeling its education after the pre-Conclave education system, where the main thing that decided what education a child got was what education their teacher had, and everything else mostly just influenced traits and stuff.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Is it just me or did Conclave take out a lot of the childhood "growing up" events? The stuff like "me and another kid raided the kitchen" or "I got my first kiss today!" or "my daughter asked me for some walking-around money and haggled with the candy merchant". I miss those. :smith:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

ninjahedgehog posted:

Is it just me or did Conclave take out a lot of the childhood "growing up" events? The stuff like "me and another kid raided the kitchen" or "I got my first kiss today!" or "my daughter asked me for some walking-around money and haggled with the candy merchant". I miss those. :smith:

It did.

I miss then too, child education is a lot less fun and interactive than it was before IMHO

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I tried ck2+ and raw togheter, starting in Ireland to get a handle on things

There's more provinces, I could marry Matilda of Tuscany day one(whose primary title is duchess of Modena for some reason?), after 2 years a peasant rebellion sprung up and kicked me out of my only county and my loving literal imbecile norwegian vassal is my best choice for chancellor at a whopping 7 diplomacy (0 in every other stat)

Is this normal or just a real bad RNG deal?

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
I found a couple of 250ish year old Patricians from what looks like a defunct trade republic. Both are incapable, only surviving members of their dynasty, and only have physicians in their court. Also they're not immortal. Is this some kind of weird bug or what?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

funktopus posted:

I found a couple of 250ish year old Patricians from what looks like a defunct trade republic. Both are incapable, only surviving members of their dynasty, and only have physicians in their court. Also they're not immortal. Is this some kind of weird bug or what?

Yeah, I've seen that too. It's something to do with the republic falling apart but not firing the destroy function. Mine were over 500 years old, so they just seem totally disconnected

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yeah, ever since they changed education I just get the one event where you can give your kid ambitious in exchange for becoming rivals over and over again and nothing else. If they'd bring back the old ones and maybe throw in a few new ones for the new childhood traits I'd like the new education system but instead it's just really boring and kids may as well not exist except for the three seconds that you spend selecting education focuses.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

funktopus posted:

This specific case is probably a bug, but it is possible for people to live absurdly long times if they have an incredibly high base health stat. In practice it's only really possible via the ruler designer, though.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Welp, I bankrupted my empire for the next twenty years and my peasants are dying from smallpox because I can't afford any hospitals, but my successors are going to get a sweet +9 bonus to vassal relations from my new crown jewels.
I love how you can come back to paradox games after a long break and find all kinds of fun new stuff.

Also, didn't this game used to have saints? I swear I converted Ghengis Khan once and he got a halo portrait and the title "Saint Temujin the Dragon" once he died.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ghetto Prince posted:

Welp, I bankrupted my empire for the next twenty years and my peasants are dying from smallpox because I can't afford any hospitals, but my successors are going to get a sweet +9 bonus to vassal relations from the sceptor , crown and sword in my treasury. I love how you can come back to paradox games after a long break and find all kinds of fun new stuff.

Also, didn't this game used to have saints? I swear I converted Ghengis Khan once and he got a halo portrait and the title "Saint Temujin the Dragon" once he died.

One of the big mods adds Saints (CK2+ I think?). It was probably that.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Both CK2+ and HIP can have highly virtuous/pious characters be posthumously sainted.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
My first playthrough was a few months ago, I did the usual recommended Ireland 1066 start, and went from Count of Breifne to the black Irish Emperor the United Empire of Britainnia and Spain before getting bored at how long it took to claim territory outside my de jure borders. I got Spain via my wife scoring a lucky unplanned succession to the throne, and my son inheriting both titles. At the time I didn't really understand out to claim territory outside of marriage, fabricating claims, and pressing claims on my own de jure territory.

Also, at one point that son's chief rival was his literal inbred retarded gay cousin. Good times.

Now that I'm on my second playthrough I wanted something a little more advanced, so I decided I was going to try a Norse pagan, 769 start. Picked Sigurdr Ring in Sweden. That went much better. Conquesting is so much simpler! Now I'm the Imperial Fylkirate of Sweden and soon to be Britain.

Notable adventures include:

One time I had 3 sons in line, the first 1 has generally bad traits, the second one is retarded, and the third is a genius. My king is relatively young so I figured I could take my time trying to kill off the first 2 in ways that don't incriminate me. Found out that boats give you scurvy so I sent the first 2 off, the retarded one catches it and dies the second the boats shove off from port. The second one manages not to choke on his own piss, so I spend a few years banging him into fights with a tiny army he has no chance of winning, eventually he bites it. Another victory for eugenics.

Some generations later, I had a character with concubines and 10 kids, yet they were all daughters. I give up on ever having a son, and take a look at my first daughter in line. She's got decent stats and a Shieldmaiden so I figure she'll do. Except somehow she's loving non-matrilineally married to some fuckoff nobody?! The gently caress? I don't remember agreeing to this poo poo. Worse yet, they already have a son. I invite a genius foreign courtier to my court and lock him with a temporary betrothal to be her eventual groom, and set about making plans.

I kill her son and don't get caught. I kill her commoner husband and don't get caught. BUT, she got pregnant right before that, so a few months later she has ANOTHER son by him, while married to my chosen groom. Awkward wedding. I give the order to kill her second son and with 450% plot power it takes a couple years, 3 attempts where I get implicated, before I finally manage to kill him too. And get caught. Naturally, she was upset with me.

Anyway, a few months (and even more daughters) later I finally have a son of my own. Sorry I ruined your entire life for no reason lol.

Also around this time I figured out what raiding was and how to do it. I have all of Sweden at this point, so I decide that Britain is the best target for my raids (aside from occasional trips to Rome and Venice) so I start raiding them, as I pick away at the weaker lords there, one county at a time. Eventually, there's a few dukes left, plus unified Scotland. I start declaring holy wars for the duchies, hoping that the Continent stays out of it, and they mostly do. None of the big boys come to play at least.

It's ~1020 or so, and the Crusades / Great Holy Wars era has begun, so I decide I'm going to gobble all of Scotland at once. I'm more than a match for all of Britain, and decide to risk it if the big boys do come out to play. And France does.

And they get loving SPANKED. You might be bringing 16000 peasants to add to the ~10000 rabble up here, but I have 25000 certified Viking Housecarl heavy infantry badasses. And I've got military organization like, 5 or 6, because all of my rulers do the scholarship focus once, and I've been mostly laserbeaming it. So anywhere I go I have a horde of hard as gently caress Norseman, a fuckton of my personal Housecarl retinue, and I can march a single 16k stack anywhere in Britain without supply penalties. I lost exactly 1 battle, where my guys hadn't yet formed up. I was outnumbered 2 to 1 and still had a K:D of like 95%. I totaled up the body counts at the end of the war and overall it's 4:1. Also, I fought off a peasant rebellion of 7k that popped up in the middle of this poo poo.

So I have 2/3 of Britain at this point. Threat's at 50%, basically everyone in diplo range is in a defense pact against me. I decided I'm going straight for France with my next great holy war. (Was sad when I found out they're on a 30 year cooldown.) By then Britain will be consolidated, and I'm pretty sure I'll be able take France + Germany + Austrasia in a fair fight. Probably the entire Catholic world if I hire mercs with all the gold I'm making GBS threads out.

I know this is a lot of words but nobody I know is into this nerdy as gently caress game and I just had to tell somebody :shobon: and I love the fact that these stories are not at all uncommon for it.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 30, 2017

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Council: "We hate you because you have too many duchies."

Me: "OK, let me give some away."

Council: "No."

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Aw, I hosed it all up by supporting independence at the wrong time. Now I'm 400 gold in debt and about to lose a war with the Caliph and it's only 805. :(

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I tried only running RaW and it's pretty cool. CK2+ is just not for me, especially the map changes.. It just feels a little too much.

Also raw brings back the old education system somewhat, with a few tweaks - I still don't understand it fully but at least you get the old children events back!

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Doesn't the Lost Content mod in the workshop bring back events that were removed by DLC?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
For whatever reason, I occasionally get it in my head to start a new Shattered World at 769 and see where things go. This time I started as some nobody count in Greece and have been working my way to forming the Byzantine Empire. Because I'm using the shattered world mod on the workshop, there's a new CB that basically says "I'm going to attack you because I feel like it" that only has a year-long CD. So as a result, quite a few kingdoms have popped up in a shorter than usual length of time.

One of these kingdoms is my neighbor to the north, Serbia. These guys have always been cordial with me, and have always been in a position of relative power, keeping them safe from my wandering retinue. However, they recently had a massive civil war where the former king was the one doing the rebelling against his nephew. It was an extremely messy situation and took the better part of a decade to resolve. Unfortunately I wasn't able to capitalize on the situation because of a political marriage. Basically, I have a non-aggression pact with the proper Serbian kingdom.

Well, that civil war is over and Serbia is restored to its former borders. However, there was quite a toll on the ruling class because the new queen is a 12 year old girl who has, at most, 1300 troops and is all but flat broke.

Coincidentally I own 92/132 de jure Byzantine Empire counties. Serbia can put me over the limit and let me form my empire. There's only one slight problem... I have no idea who I married into their family and at what level. I can't remember if it was one of my character's immediate family, or a niece, or what.

Is there an easy way to see which family member is binding these two kingdoms together? I've already checked my ruler's pacts tab and there's no obvious links.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

DoubleNegative posted:

For whatever reason, I occasionally get it in my head to start a new Shattered World at 769 and see where things go. This time I started as some nobody count in Greece and have been working my way to forming the Byzantine Empire. Because I'm using the shattered world mod on the workshop, there's a new CB that basically says "I'm going to attack you because I feel like it" that only has a year-long CD. So as a result, quite a few kingdoms have popped up in a shorter than usual length of time.

One of these kingdoms is my neighbor to the north, Serbia. These guys have always been cordial with me, and have always been in a position of relative power, keeping them safe from my wandering retinue. However, they recently had a massive civil war where the former king was the one doing the rebelling against his nephew. It was an extremely messy situation and took the better part of a decade to resolve. Unfortunately I wasn't able to capitalize on the situation because of a political marriage. Basically, I have a non-aggression pact with the proper Serbian kingdom.

Well, that civil war is over and Serbia is restored to its former borders. However, there was quite a toll on the ruling class because the new queen is a 12 year old girl who has, at most, 1300 troops and is all but flat broke.

Coincidentally I own 92/132 de jure Byzantine Empire counties. Serbia can put me over the limit and let me form my empire. There's only one slight problem... I have no idea who I married into their family and at what level. I can't remember if it was one of my character's immediate family, or a niece, or what.

Is there an easy way to see which family member is binding these two kingdoms together? I've already checked my ruler's pacts tab and there's no obvious links.

Hover over the pact and it should give the reason (i.e. marriage between Bob the Dunce and Joan of Serbia).

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Technowolf posted:

Hover over the pact and it should give the reason (i.e. marriage between Bob the Dunce and Joan of Serbia).

That's just the thing. I have no idea where the pact is even coming from. The only reason I even know we have one, besides dimly remembering marrying someone into her family is this notice right here.

Though now I see the "break non aggression pact" option. Guess I just have to win her wars for her and then enforce my claims on her land.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

DoubleNegative posted:

That's just the thing. I have no idea where the pact is even coming from. The only reason I even know we have one, besides dimly remembering marrying someone into her family is this notice right here.

Though now I see the "break non aggression pact" option. Guess I just have to win her wars for her and then enforce my claims on her land.
On your character screen there should be a tab, next to the Family, Relatives, Vassals, Random Dudes tabs, labeled Pacts. That will tell you who you have pacts with, and if you mouseover them, it'll tell you who's married to who that created that pact.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

ninjahedgehog posted:

This is just one of the reasons why Conclave is bad and dumb.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

ninjahedgehog posted:

They didn't take out those events, just replaced them with new ones. They are what actually makes child traits to appear. The reason you don't see many of them is that they can fire for any court member, not just you.

Then there is another set of events that changes child traits into normal ones - you can keep the choice it rolled or try to change it. For example, if your son becomes Dull, you have an option to make him Brave instead (though it can fail). I think they fire only for the ruler.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The interventions fire for the educator. Which in Conclave, often isn't you unless you manually set it because it auto tries to min max based on the education track and qualifying for interventions.

The child development traits seem to fire for the child after Conclave. I saw a bunch during a regency but considering most people avoid regencies like they are going to murder your child king (because that's what happens) they seem buried into a corner at that point.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Gantolandon posted:

They didn't take out those events, just replaced them with new ones. They are what actually makes child traits to appear. The reason you don't see many of them is that they can fire for any court member, not just you.

Yeah, this is the actual "problem". Each of the childhood traits has an event that can cause it, and they all have cute little narratives (like three each) like running into adult courtiers kissing servants, or rivalries with other children, or encountering haunted houses. But if the player isn't the child they are EXTREMELY unlikely to see them, since they can involve any other person at court (or sometimes specifically the educator, or sometimes none at all) and often the other courtier needs to be, say, a child themselves.

Paradox were aware of this fact, since they included specific shortcuts to skip the event chain and just assign the trait if neither the child nor the target courtier is a player. I actually like the system since I'm an insane simulationist but I can understand how it can feel like a Victoria-esque black box.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Mar 31, 2017

Grendel
Jul 21, 2001

Heh, heh, heh...bueno
I had something odd happen in my current Ironman game, and I'm not sure if it's a bug or just an obscure event.

My ruler was a child, and the regent was his mother. She was a a landless bastard. All of a sudden I noticed that I had no dynastic heir, even though my character had plenty of relatives. I tried to figure out what happened, and I realized that my dynasty had changed - all of a sudden, and with no warning or events, I'd become part of my mother's lovely randomly-generated dynasty.

I seem to remember that rulers without heirs can do stuff like this, but I didn't think regents had the same power. I've tried googling and poking through the game files, and I can't see what caused this.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Grendel posted:

I had something odd happen in my current Ironman game, and I'm not sure if it's a bug or just an obscure event.

My ruler was a child, and the regent was his mother. She was a a landless bastard. All of a sudden I noticed that I had no dynastic heir, even though my character had plenty of relatives. I tried to figure out what happened, and I realized that my dynasty had changed - all of a sudden, and with no warning or events, I'd become part of my mother's lovely randomly-generated dynasty.

I seem to remember that rulers without heirs can do stuff like this, but I didn't think regents had the same power. I've tried googling and poking through the game files, and I can't see what caused this.

So, does that mean you're game-over then? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this.

Grendel
Jul 21, 2001

Heh, heh, heh...bueno

Gewehr 43 posted:

So, does that mean you're game-over then? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this.

I assume it would have been game-over if my ruler died. Fortunately, he lived long enough to have plenty of kids. Several generations down the line, my new dynasty is prosperous and plentiful. I'm still kinda cranky about getting cut off from my original dynasty, though, especially since I didn't think that was even possible.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

monster on a stick posted:

Council: "We hate you because you have too many duchies."

Me: "OK, let me give some away."

Council: "No."

More like:

Council: "No, that duchy should be mine and if I can't have it no one will!"

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Main Paineframe posted:

I don't know much about CK2+, but it sounds like it's largely modeling its education after the pre-Conclave education system, where the main thing that decided what education a child got was what education their teacher had, and everything else mostly just influenced traits and stuff.

It's this. It's a mix of pre-conclave education with the added focus benefit letting you steer kids down a hybrid route. It's how I'm able to churn out warrior accountants by setting my kids to stewardship focus and educating them under marshals.

ninjahedgehog posted:

RaW adds these back!

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
How do you do vassal merchant republics? I read online about how they're good for taxing and tech spread and poo poo, so I made a couple. At the time I'd just finished claiming the Empire of Scandinavia title, and was already the Fylkir. I turned Vestmanland (I think, the duchy at the tip of Norway) and Skane into merchant republics, figuring that them being all coastline is good somehow.

I think they got into some kind of trade war maybe? I saw each one painting the map with their zones, then flipping or disappearing. What I do know, is that for a few generations, both of them controlled fewer zones - Vestmanland barely anything, Skane a little more but half of it was inland Sweden for some reason?

I thought I hosed up placing them too close to each other maybe. Fast forward a few generations when I have most of Britain, I gained enough territory to found another vassal republic so this time I did it with Moray in Scotland. They seem to have done okay, sticking to mostly contiguous sea zones.

I've almost claimed enough territory to do a 4th, so I'm thinking about doing Cornwall or maybe Kent. Also, Skane got its poo poo together and connected up all the sea zones between it and my capital - but the actual land of my capital is unmarked. Does that mean I'm connected or not? Vestmanland is doing better too, not as well as Skane but it's starting to sew up the bay with Denmark.

My questions are:

1) How bad have I hosed up already, if at all?
2) Is there anything I can do to influence my existing vassals to grow better? How do you manage vassal merchant republics generally?
3) Is my stated idea of founding on the south British coast a good one?
4) Also, do vassal merchant republics do any kind of trade war with each other and if so, can you limit it with higher crown authority?

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

metasynthetic posted:

How do you do vassal merchant republics? I read online about how they're good for taxing and tech spread and poo poo, so I made a couple. At the time I'd just finished claiming the Empire of Scandinavia title, and was already the Fylkir. I turned Vestmanland (I think, the duchy at the tip of Norway) and Skane into merchant republics, figuring that them being all coastline is good somehow.

I think they got into some kind of trade war maybe? I saw each one painting the map with their zones, then flipping or disappearing. What I do know, is that for a few generations, both of them controlled fewer zones - Vestmanland barely anything, Skane a little more but half of it was inland Sweden for some reason?

I thought I hosed up placing them too close to each other maybe. Fast forward a few generations when I have most of Britain, I gained enough territory to found another vassal republic so this time I did it with Moray in Scotland. They seem to have done okay, sticking to mostly contiguous sea zones.

I've almost claimed enough territory to do a 4th, so I'm thinking about doing Cornwall or maybe Kent. Also, Skane got its poo poo together and connected up all the sea zones between it and my capital - but the actual land of my capital is unmarked. Does that mean I'm connected or not? Vestmanland is doing better too, not as well as Skane but it's starting to sew up the bay with Denmark.

My questions are:

1) How bad have I hosed up already, if at all?
2) Is there anything I can do to influence my existing vassals to grow better? How do you manage vassal merchant republics generally?
3) Is my stated idea of founding on the south British coast a good one?
4) Also, do vassal merchant republics do any kind of trade war with each other and if so, can you limit it with higher crown authority?

1. Not too bad, but you're right about how you hosed up. One other thing that probably won't bite you in the rear end yet: Republics can and occasionally will move their capital to the de jure capital of their primary title, and if that's inland, they stop being lovely profitable merchant republics.
2. I always just used gifts of gold and holdings to influence my vassals. Somebody else will have better advice, though.
3. Yes; it's far enough away from your other MRs that they won't compete, and IIRC the Channel coast is pretty rich, good fodder for a republic.
4. Pretty sure they can; wouldn't be surprised if that's what you saw earlier.

• Locked thread