Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Antioch posted:

I'm running a 2500K as well. The 970 does OK, like I said - probably in the range of 50-60 fps in Nier:A, 60-70 in JC3 with some settings turned down, roughly the same in Warcraft but that's because it's a 15 year old poorly optimized game at this point.

I don't feel like I'm getting the full use out of this monitor now. I guess if the 1170s are more than a year away, I could do worse than dropping $500CAD on a 1070.

I'd actually disagree, you are getting the full value from your monitor. The best application for GSync, I think, is the fact that you can pair it with a GPU that isn't top-of-the-line and from your perspective get top-of-the-line results.

I went from a 770 to a 1070, so that was a big jump. If I had a 970 I'd probably wait another generation. Everyone and their wallets are different though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

HalloKitty posted:

There were often editions of high end cards (especially on the NVIDIA side) that had crazy prices, but were just the lower version with a tiny clock bump. Now the top end cards are genuinely amazingly faster than the stuff lower down. I guess it's all about perspective.

Some of the good ATI examples were mentioned by Risky Bisquick in the post two down from yours.

Then again, maybe nostalgia is simply tricking me to some degree, not because "good old days" or some poo poo, but because of inflation, and exchange rates. The problem is amplified massively from my perspective because Pounds Sterling is not the absolute powerhouse it used be vs the US Dollar, and no, not because of Brexit, but since the 2008 recession it's been fairly lovely. Have a look at this hilarious chart. 10 years ago, it was basically 2 USD to 1 GBP. Now, it's hovering around 1.2~ USD / GBP. Bear in mind also for most of the time I've been buying components, VAT was 17.5%, and it's now 20% in the UK (although I currently live in a country with a 25% rate).

Oooo yeah thats a different story

Lockback posted:

I'd actually disagree, you are getting the full value from your monitor. The best application for GSync, I think, is the fact that you can pair it with a GPU that isn't top-of-the-line and from your perspective get top-of-the-line results.

I went from a 770 to a 1070, so that was a big jump. If I had a 970 I'd probably wait another generation. Everyone and their wallets are different though.

I dont know, I think a 1070 is really great for gsync 1440p. A 970 is getting into the choke zone though. If you arent aware, a 1070 is essentially the performance of 970 SLI, and a 1070 still gets quite pounded at 1440p on its own though its good. I didn't really have a good time with a 970 when it was new on just a 60 hz 1440p screen. It was totally adequate but if we're talking ideal by choice

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 30, 2017

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

What's the consensus on quiet GPU brands? I know that open-airs are always cooler, but I feel like for any given GPU there's got to be a manufacturer that focuses on silent cooling by using, like, rubberized components or slightly larger fans or something.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Lockback posted:

Yeah, I'm still happy enough with my 770; my monitor only does 60hz anyways so I figure I'll upgrade that and my video card whenever the 1170s or whatever come out.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

jokes posted:

What's the consensus on quiet GPU brands? I know that open-airs are always cooler, but I feel like for any given GPU there's got to be a manufacturer that focuses on silent cooling by using, like, rubberized components or slightly larger fans or something.

MSI usually has a pretty quiet card. The FTW 3 has huge fans and 3 of them so it should run quiet as well.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

jokes posted:

There are many top end GPU's but only 1 that had both power AND quietness and that was the MSI Gaming.

[edit] My 970 is pretty much silent at full GPU power, cooling around 65c, fan is only running 50% too.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 30, 2017

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

jokes posted:

Seems like a niche somebody should fill but it basically does not exist like that. It comes down to literally looking up different brands of cards for every product and its not consistent at all. However I can save you a bit of time and if youre looking at 1070s or 1080s the MSI seems to win by a hair generally

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_1070_Gaming_X/28.html

30 and 31 db is very quiet for a GPU, I've seen some measurements at 29 for MSI this time around. On the other hand its really splitting hairs between some of them

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

jokes posted:

Palit has one of the quietest and best performing coolers for the 1080s with the gamerock series. It's tied with Gainward (same cooler). They did really good with the gamerock cooler.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 30, 2017

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

jokes posted:

The correct answer is to slap a G10 + quiet AIO on it and never worry again. And unless NVidia breaks from their mounting configurations at some point in the future (the current one has been in use for several generations now, so it seems unlikely unless there were a strong case for it--maybe the eventual move to HBM), you can just port it over to your next card, too.

Something like the H-55 Quiet should be virtually silent.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

jokes posted:

There really isn't any brand that is universally quiet (everyone makes blowers) but Zotac has really been knocking it out of the park for multiple generations now on specialty low-power+super-quiet parts. My GT 640 Zone Edition says that your 1050 Ti can probably run full passive if your AIB actually tried (same TDP). And they've put out a bunch of similar specialty super-quiet parts too.

Palit's great too, yeah.

But as a general rule for Pascal, pick the cheapest open cooler and go with that, it'll be quiet enough that you won't care about quibbling over the differences. Unless you are doing a 1080 Ti in which case you are definitely either going to a 3-slot cooler (just aren't enough reviews yet) or an AIO bracket for sure. There's no quiet way to cool 250-350 watts of power unless you are moving it out of the case ASAP.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 30, 2017

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

DrDork posted:

The correct answer is to slap a G10 + quiet AIO on it and never worry again. And unless NVidia breaks from their mounting configurations at some point in the future (the current one has been in use for several generations now, so it seems unlikely unless there were a strong case for it--maybe the eventual move to HBM), you can just port it over to your next card, too.

Something like the H-55 Quiet should be virtually silent.

I'd do this if there were a pump that was actually silent, bet I have yet to encounter one that doesn't make audible bubbling/rattling noises and I always find it more annoying than a fan twice as loud.

Like, fans are the least of my problems, cards without coil whine and pumps without noise are impossible to find compared to quiet fans.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
I've used a H-55, H-65, H-110, and LQ-320, and none of them have had any pump noise or bubbling unless you shoved your ear to within about 6" of it. Not to be insulting, but are you sure you're installing everything correctly? If you install the radiator/res upside down, it does tend to make bubbling noises, and sometimes you have to coax an air bubble out of a pump if you've just installed it. But once you get it set, it should be very, very quiet.

Honestly, of the 5 or 6 I've had, only one made any noise, and it was an older, used one I got on ebay that was probably being sold for exactly that reason. I imagine it had probably leaked a bit of fluid out over time and now had more air bubbles than it could effectively deal with.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

DrDork posted:

I've used a H-55, H-65, H-110, and LQ-320, and none of them have had any pump noise or bubbling unless you shoved your ear to within about 6" of it. Not to be insulting, but are you sure you're installing everything correctly? If you install the radiator/res upside down, it does tend to make bubbling noises, and sometimes you have to coax an air bubble out of a pump if you've just installed it. But once you get it set, it should be very, very quiet.

Honestly, of the 5 or 6 I've had, only one made any noise, and it was an older, used one I got on ebay that was probably being sold for exactly that reason. I imagine it had probably leaked a bit of fluid out over time and now had more air bubbles than it could effectively deal with.

All the Hydro ones I ever got from Microcenter had air bubble noise, ironically all the ones I've gotten as refurbs have been fine, but "fine" as in the base level of pump noise I still hear from a few feet away since my environment is pretty quiet.

Like, I can set my CPU and GPU to both go passive if I'm just browsing the forums or something, and then I'm at 0db. The pump impeller always makes a noise I can pick up like that.

Edit: Between the TDP for CPU/GPUs now, I feel like we're maybe one die-shrink away from liquid coolers being obsolete, honestly.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 30, 2017

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Zero VGS posted:

I'd do this if there were a pump that was actually silent, bet I have yet to encounter one that doesn't make audible bubbling/rattling noises and I always find it more annoying than a fan twice as loud.

Like, fans are the least of my problems, cards without coil whine and pumps without noise are impossible to find compared to quiet fans.

As long as everything is in the proper orientation, air bubbles shouldn't be that much of an issue. Anecdotally, every time my Titan XP's AIO gurgles I get this sense of dread that it might be leaking and always check to see what's going on.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Zero VGS posted:

Edit: Between the TDP for CPU/GPUs now, I feel like we're maybe one die-shrink away from liquid coolers being obsolete, honestly.

Every die shrink increases the proportion of leakage current and enthusiasts are always going to want to have the ability to run faster instead of cooler. I doubt it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Eletriarnation posted:

Every die shrink increases the proportion of leakage current and enthusiasts are always going to want to have the ability to run faster instead of cooler. I doubt it.

I thought that each one decreases the leakage current? Wasn't that the whole point?

Like I don't doubt you, but I don't get how it works either.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 30, 2017

App13
Dec 31, 2011

So I just installed this 1080ti and now I have a 970 just sitting around... Any use in dedicating it to physx if all I do is VR?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

App13 posted:

So I just installed this 1080ti and now I have a 970 just sitting around... Any use in dedicating it to physx if all I do is VR?

Barely any games actually use a dedicated PhysX card, and as far as I know the only VR game that does is that gimmicky VR Funhouse tech demo.

I'd just sell it, used 970s still go for $150-180 on eBay.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Yeah, better sell it before the Vega release ends up swamping the market with used RX480s for $100 apiece.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Good call. Wish I kept the box now...

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Zero VGS posted:

I thought that each one decreases the leakage current? Wasn't that the whole point?

Like I don't doubt you, but I don't get how it works either.

Up to now, from what I understand the total amount of current needed to actively run a transistor decreases with each generation but the proportion of that which is just uselessly leaking out because the gaps between circuit elements is so small increases. This creates issues with idle power consumption which technologies like SpeedStep are designed to address, but it also implies a fundamental diminishing return on efficiency gains as transistors become increasingly nanoscopic.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

HalloKitty posted:

Nah, I still think it's pretty lousy that NVIDIA doesn't support Adaptive Sync. They can say that GSYNC is better (and by some accounts it is), and market it as the superior product, but it's definitely petty not to support the standard.

How long has it been a standard? Which chips have they designed since then?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Subjunctive posted:

pretty sure its driver limited not chip limited.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

It hasn't been mandatory in any display standards currently in use. It will be included in some of the upcoming ones. That said, the technology to make *sync work already exists in most existing standards, which is part of why FreeSync (which leverages Adaptive Sync to work) is FreeSync, in that there's no need for extra hardware. In fact, AMD has been able to get limited FreeSync functionality working on some monitors sold before FreeSync even existed, since the tech was already there. Despite being a relatively new thing, FreeSync works as far back as the HD7000 series cards, which were released back in 2012 (e; and NVidia's GSync works as far back as the 600 series, also from 2012); clearly it's not a chip thing.

If NVidia wanted to, there's little doubt that they could support it with a simple software update. They're not going to, though, because it makes them $0, whereas every GSync monitor sold makes them some cash and then locks you in to buying future NVidia products thanks to the sunk cost of the monitor.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 31, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

wargames posted:

pretty sure its driver limited not chip limited.

Ah, makes sense.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Eletriarnation posted:

Up to now, from what I understand the total amount of current needed to actively run a transistor decreases with each generation but the proportion of that which is just uselessly leaking out because the gaps between circuit elements is so small increases. This creates issues with idle power consumption which technologies like SpeedStep are designed to address, but it also implies a fundamental diminishing return on efficiency gains as transistors become increasingly nanoscopic.

I gotcha, yeah but idle power consumption is now handled passively on most fan coolers... the max load TDP might be getting diminishing returns on power efficiency but those crazy spikes, sustained high TDP, and overvolting are where watercooling excels and we're pretty much on the tail end of all that.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Doesn't G-Sync have the one added bonus of having it work over a much larger Hz range than FreeSync? From like 0-100Hz vs 45-75Hz?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
How G-Sync works and differs from Freesync. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkrJU5d2RfA

repiv posted:

Note that this video was made before G-Sync gained the ability to run with or without V-Sync and before Freesync got LFC.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 31, 2017

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
G-Sync for laptops uses standard adaptive sync, there is no monitor module. So I think that's where someone has to begin if they want to hack the driver to enable adaptive sync for desktop.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

How G-Sync works and differs from Freesync.

Note that this video was made before G-Sync gained the ability to run with or without V-Sync and before Freesync got LFC.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Whatever happened to those modules we were supposed to retrofit to our old monitors to support all the *sync? It's been a while since that was a thing, but it seemed like a thing companies pushed credulously when *sync came out.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

ufarn posted:

Whatever happened to those modules we were supposed to retrofit to our old monitors to support all the *sync? It's been a while since that was a thing, but it seemed like a thing companies pushed credulously when *sync came out.

There was a single TN monitor you could do that with, NVidia made like 100 of the modules turn discontinued it.

It was a monitor that just happened to have an expansion slot inside it which I doubt mist other monitors have.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

There was a single TN monitor you could do that with, NVidia made like 100 of the modules turn discontinued it.

It was a monitor that just happened to have an expansion slot inside it which I doubt mist other monitors have.

The monitor didn't have an expansion slot, Nvidia designed an entire replacement mainboard for that specific monitor that could accommodate the G-Sync module. It was basically a G-Sync prototype platform turned into a product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMKpJr0KTC8

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The future is here! :monocle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smM-Wdk2RLQ

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Oh no its that day again

I hope AMD says Vega will be released tomorrow and its better than a 1080ti for $289

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

I would legit buy usb thumb drives that look like little video cards though.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Wacky Delly posted:

Was thinking the same thing. Fan has to spin though.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I kind of hate how this stuff comes out on the 31st, just because it turned April 1st *somewhere* in the world two hours and 42 minutes ago.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
It's not april fools yet nvidia >:[ Not in the great state of the Unite States

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Wacky Delly posted:

Very much this.

64G+ and the fan spins when it's plugged in and powered. Aww yea.

That and the area that would have lighting can light up when there is activity on it to boot.

Crap Nvidia make this real.

Though its all April 1st crap, I would totally take that Thumbdrive and the AI stuff if they could make it real lol.

Thing about an AI to play EVE for you, or fly you somewhere in Elite since there is still no autopilot in the Elite future.