Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah I would probably tell her friends at that point. I'm the biggest preacher of just moving on and still...bleh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Who What Now posted:

Why the gently caress aren't the super-beetle fights televised or at least up on YouTube?

my man: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwH7XxdK8NA have a good 'tubecrawl

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Laughing Man posted:

I mean especially since he probably caught it from her, right?

gently caress you.

For making me laugh.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

La Brea Carpet posted:

Posting this one for the comment below

Me (38M) how to deal with what just happened

:females:

First two sentences: mmmmhm, wisdom. Trust.

Third sentence: -record scratch-

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

They're freshwater fish

What you don't know that the Amazon's salt water now? It's been that way because of environmentalist tears since the 90's

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Gloryhold It! posted:

What you don't know that the Amazon's salt water now? It's been that way because of environmentalist tears since the 90's

Eh, I had a pretty good FYAD-lite comment along those lines ready but then I realized that I'm not gonna berate someone for esoteric fish knowledge.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah I would probably tell her friends at that point. I'm the biggest preacher of just moving on and still...bleh.

Yeah... like I understand but that don't make it right. You can't just leave someone in need stranded.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
My Wife got big into the beetle biz initially when she won a government contract to use binoculars and count every tree in Worcester to make sure not too too many of them were lost to Invading Asian Cock-Snatchers or something similar (fuuuuuuck common names) but eventually was lured out of public service by the glitz and glamor of Big Private Beetle Wars.

edit: everyone please ignore this post.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Is Invading Asian Cock-Snatcher too long for a username?

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

I [35/M] want to give my BIL [24/M] an ultimatum, but my wife [33/F] is not ready to. At the end of my rope

quote:

My BIL is an absolute scumbag. At 24, he has accomplished absolutely nothing in his life. He didn't finish high school; he's never been employed longer than a week; he's never really walked-up a flight of stairs; he has never read a full book, learned to ride a bike or taken care of anything in his life. Nothing.

He "makes money" through petty scams, peddling a bit of dope and finding ways of bilking people out of cash. He "rode his bike" around town, "got an injury" and was taken to the hospital where they "hurt his back." He sued the bank whose parking lot he "fell down" in and the hospital for back injuries. It blew-up in his face when security cameras saw him pushing the bike (that he can't ride) and laying down. After that, the rest was gravy.

My MIL has been a teller at the bank for 20 years, was so embarrassed by his antics that she cast him from the family home. They found him, a week later, sitting with a bag of cheetos, on a street corner where he had been for days. So, my MIL took him to a number of doctors and psychiatrists. Diagnosis: Lazy. My BIL is so lazy he would starve and freeze to death before doing anything. 5 different doctors have come to the same conclusion. One social worker said he was the epitome of lazy.

My wife, the eternally sweet person, let her brother move in. That was before Christmas. I'm beyond ready to boot his butt, but she thinks she can 'save' him. Instead, she's ruining our marriage. My wife is an elementary school teacher so she gets home around 4 and begins taking care of him. She gets him to eat a snack, makes his dinner, puts out his clothes for the next day, does laundry and tells him its bath time (she runs him his bath). He then sits in the living room, eating Cheetos until midnight or 1 AM. Then he sleeps until noon or 1PM. Meanwhile, I get up at 5:30AM, clean-up after him, get myself ready, get my wife to drive me to the train station, take a commuter train, two subways, and get to work for 7:45, work a full day, leave the office around 6:30. I then walk a bit, take two subways, a commuter train, get picked-up from the station and get home for 8:00. I kiss the kids goodnight, eat some dinner, study for my professional development hours, watch 10 minutes of TV, and get into bed. I won't see my wife, because she's tending to her brother and his needs - late night soda and cheeto run from Wawa, he needs his shirt pressed (for no f***ing reason), she needs to fix the apple remote (i.e. put his show on for him). I mean, how much lazier could he be? I'm really worried she's wiping his butt, too.....

Our daughter, who is 8, recently said: "When is fat rear end leaving?" My wife, hurt, said she needed to be nice to her uncle. But, I agree with our kid. Her brother invites himself to everything; he came on our date night ordering the most expensive meal on the menu, drinking a boat load of wine and then barfing on our rug; he ruined our daughter's birthday by eating her cake before the party even began. He routinely smokes in the living room, despite everyone's warnings and has even attempted to bring hookers into the house. Methed-out, haggard hookers he met while collecting some sort of welfare (which is another topic unto it self). I haven't been intimate with my wife in months because he knocks on the door at all hours, but frequently enters without knocking. If the door is locked, he'll push and push until one of us opens it.

I've laid-down the rules for him 3 dozen times, but nothing works. There is no consequence because his whole family makes excuses for him. I have really had it with his bullshit. I'm fed-up, the kids are fed-up and my wife just seems oblivious. Every time I've discussed this with her, she gets overly emotional and says she doesn't know what to do, that he'll become homeless. I no longer care. Homeless? Fine by me. I'll buy him a family size bag of cheetos and off he can go.

I really don't know how to approach my wife without it devolving into tears. I can't live with her brother anymore and I'm almost ready to take the children and leave. I am not going to subject them to further exposure to him. I want to approach her in a way that is solution-oriented, but every time I do, it becomes a cry fest. I really am at my wit's end and don't know how to go from here. I've spoken with my FIL, the only person who has ever been direct or pushed BIL, and told him point-blank that it's ruining our marriage. He, too, is at a loss for how to help.

Is it ultimatum time? I feel like threatening her with divorce and an epic battle for custody, because I cannot and will not further expose them to her brother. Is this a mistake?

tl;dr: My lazy brother-in-law has been living with us since before Christmas and is single handedly ruining our marriage. I'm not going to tolerate it anymore. I honestly cannot believe how lazy and feckless he is. He works hard at destroying our home life and would rather be homeless than ever do anything for himself.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I think it would have been impossible for me to be the bigger man and avoid saying "Yeah sweetie - respect your uncle. [looks at wife] So when *is* fatass leaving?"

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

They're freshwater fish

well then I'm wrong I thought they were salt water guys!

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
just make his lazy rear end life loving living HELL

Kick him out during the day, lock the doors, all weather

Begin a bill for board and food and have the state garnish his benefit before he can spend it

Prank the ever loving gently caress out of that son of a bitch, i'm talking hosing him down first thing in the morning, chili in his eyes, kick him, beat him with your fists, pull his hair, nipple gripples, dead legs, loving poke his eye when he's asleep, put glue in his shoes gently caress the oval office

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Honestly it sounds like if they just lock him outside the problem will correct itself pretty quickly so I dont get why they dont just do that.

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

Werong Bustope posted:

I [35/M] want to give my BIL [24/M] an ultimatum, but my wife [33/F] is not ready to. At the end of my rope

Take him out to the woods, leave him there, and tell your wife he went to go live on a farm.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Lonely Virgil posted:

Take him out to the woods, leave him there, and tell your wife he went to go live on a farm.

This is easy. Put baking soda in little plastic baggies. Stash baggies under couch. "Find" baggies while cleaning one day, tell wife bro has to go cause he can't have that poo poo around kids. If sister sides with brother over kids, call divorce attorney ASAP.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

A palate cleanser.

My BF [27] and his friend exchange dick pics.

quote:

My BF left his texts open and I saw a dick pic. It wasn't his dick. My heart sank. Maybe I spend too much time on /r/relationships, but I immediately thought he was cheating on me with a man. So I snooped.

Nope. It's two bros who have been laughing at each others dicks for literally years. Nothing in the text suggests any sort of gay activity or infidelity. The text says things like, "ugh, jesus, nice bush" or "GAAH! Got me" or "sick dude!" They even set up little photo shoots with their dicks in weird situations.

He wasn't even phased when he walked in the room and saw me looking at his phone. He was like, "watcha doin, looking at dick pics?" I have never encountered anything like this before so I asked him what the deal was. He said that he and this particular friend think dick pics are funny and that they've been doing this since the dawn of camera phones. He promised that he understands social propriety, he doesn't just go around sending people dick pics, and this is really just something he does with this one friend. He said if it made me feel better I could look through all his texts right then. He... didn't really seem to care that I just got an eyeful of his buddy's rather generous member. He was going to show me "the funniest pic of all," but I politely declined.

I'm not sure how to feel about this. I mean... it's pretty clear that there are no women involved, and that these two aren't gay. Just MASSIVELY immature. The thing is, my BF is actually a pretty mature and together adult in most areas of his life - certainly ahead of the curve. If this is his one weird little sublimation of latent immaturity, maybe I should let it slide? I don't know. Anyone else encounter this?

tl;dr: for the last decade my bf and his friend have exchanged and continue to exchange pictures of their penises.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
She sounds like a barrel of fun. The only thing should be feeling about their relationship is sorry for doubting him.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

Werong Bustope posted:

A palate cleanser.

Well dammit now I want to know what the funniest one was.

Mustache and hat?

Hot dog bun?

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Jeff Sichoe posted:

Kick him out during the day, lock the doors, all weather

He sat on a street corner for five days. He'd just block the doorway and sleep.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

La Brea Carpet posted:

Well dammit now I want to know what the funniest one was.

Mustache and hat?

Hot dog bun?

She says weird little photoshoots so I'm imagining a dick tied to train tracks or reclining on the beach.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

Leaning tower of penis

Penis De Milo

Dicks playing poker

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
If you ever want to find out which one of your lovely college roomates is stealing your lube, mix in edible glitter. :getin:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Dienes posted:

Operant conditioning is literally the only way organisms learn. Calling it animal training grossly and deliberately over-simplifies things. Its not some 'lower-level teaching' - your college professor, 5th grade teacher, boss, parents, literally every instance in which you learn is operant conditioning. It is not just some form of clicker training. There's a whole sub-discipline of ABA that deals with college instructional design, another for organizational management, etc.

Edit: A behavior technician is a high school diploma level position that requires no actual experience or education in the field. Please don't present yourself as an expert on ABA.

Autism Speaks spends a lot on research on the cause of autism and the treatment of autism. They will help more people in the long run answering those questions than giving a handful of families money for treatment.

There's issues with Autism Speaks, for sure. Admin/advertising spending is crazy high, and they need more representation of autism in their leaders. Their ads are an issue - things like videos of kids with autism beating the poo poo out of people. I don't like them, because it just creates fear and stigma. But I also hate the push to pretend that low-functioning autism doesn't exist. Autism isn't some super-power, and it can be a huge loving tragedy. Unless you don't consider cases like a kid gouging out their own eyes or wandering into the woods at 2am a tragedy, I guess.

You're arguing with me against a position that I made very clear I don't agree with and you're still proving my point. If you think all organisms learn by operant conditioning (not really true, humans can teach themselves things in many different ways), then by definition ABA is analagous to animal training. When it's used to teach low-functioning students with various disabilities, it is even more similar so you just proved my point for me. Add onto the fact that in my original post made clear that I think ABA is a good and valuable technique, opposing it for this reason is reductive and self-defeating and it's pretty clear you're getting all salty for no reason.

Please read my post again if you actually care enough to. I didn't present myself as an expert, just as someone with experience. I've worked with special needs people for years, my girlfriend has her master's in special education, and most importantly a member of my inner family has severe autism.

I agree with you with regards to autism speaks. I think the idea that they shouldn't push for a cure is cynical and self-defeating, and pretending that autism can't be a horrible thing is pointless. That said, perhaps they could modify their messaging a bit to avoid upsetting people that care deeply about that topic.

Play fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 31, 2017

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

La Brea Carpet posted:

Leaning tower of penis

Penis De Milo

Dicks playing poker

The Roses of Heliogalphallus

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

54 40 or gently caress posted:

The Roses of Heliogalphallus

Penis on the half-shell

The hanging scrotum of Babylon

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Werong Bustope posted:

this is a hot new take on bartleby the scrivener

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Werong Bustope posted:

Blanket party.

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

If that guy is lazy enough to starve or freeze to death it seems like mental illness, not that he shouldn't be kicked out but not being willing to keep himself alive probably isn't "just" laziness

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

timefly posted:

If that guy is lazy enough to starve or freeze to death it seems like mental illness, not that he shouldn't be kicked out but not being willing to keep himself alive probably isn't "just" laziness

quote:

So, my MIL took him to a number of doctors and psychiatrists. Diagnosis: Lazy. My BIL is so lazy he would starve and freeze to death before doing anything. 5 different doctors have come to the same conclusion. One social worker said he was the epitome of lazy.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Sounds like pretty severe depression at the very least. That said he still sounds like a loving bum and a mooch

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Werong Bustope posted:

haha this guy is pretty rad. while I can't picture doing that myself I very much admire his attitude about the whole thing. and no way in HELL would I say no to seeing the funniest one

a second dick has hit the tower perhaps?
two dicks getting married?
a dick with a tophat and a monocle?
armored hoplite dick?

kinda wanna get in on this cottage industry myself. girl should just get over it it's not really normal but it's also not some horrible crime

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

Play posted:

haha this guy is pretty rad. while I can't picture doing that myself I very much admire his attitude about the whole thing. and no way in HELL would I say no to seeing the funniest one

a second dick has hit the tower perhaps?
two dicks getting married?
a dick with a tophat and a monocle?
armored hoplite dick?

kinda wanna get in on this cottage industry myself. girl should just get over it it's not really normal but it's also not some horrible crime

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puppetry_of_the_Penis

Surprisingly work-safe link, but somebody already beat (heh) you to it.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Sounds like pretty severe depression at the very least. That said he still sounds like a loving bum and a mooch

hard to believe he isn't a drug addict what with the welfare hookers, fake injured back and on-and-off dealing.

Whatever he is he needs to go. Negotiate with the wife something like "if he makes this change or does thing thing, then he can stay". Then when he inevitably fails he leaves and its his own drat fault

Play
Apr 25, 2006

La Brea Carpet posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puppetry_of_the_Penis

Surprisingly work-safe link, but somebody already beat (heh) you to it.

quote:

Their tricks include:
Wind Up
Atomic Mushroom
Wristwatch
Snail
Three-Wood
Parachute
Eiffel-Tower
Hamburger
Hot dog
Pelican
Fruit Bat
Windsurfer
G-String
Brain
Weed-Snipper
Loch Ness Monster
The Guy Pierce
Wedding Ring
The Woman
The other Woman
Mollusc
Baby Bird
Flying Squirrel

lmbo

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

If this guy really gave up and started living outside before being rescued then that's either bullshit or they were all mistaken because no one neglects themselves to that extent due to laziness alone.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

My laziness prevents me from folding my laundry, not from freezing to death.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Yes, because goons know better than licenced professionals that met with and evaluated a patient. Seriously, not everything is mental illness or some tragedy that people need help for. Sometimes people are dumbshits or lazy assholes with no other pathology or reason behind it.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

therobit posted:

Yes, because goons know better than licenced professionals that met with and evaluated a patient. Seriously, not everything is mental illness or some tragedy that people need help for. Sometimes people are dumbshits or lazy assholes with no other pathology or reason behind it.

I was actually born pathologically lazy but it had a lot more to do with anxiety and crushing depression. The idea of responsibilities was terrifying and so I would just lock them up deep inside my psyche.

It's still something I have a poo poo ton of trouble with but I've learned how to just pull through. This guy definitely sounds like a different breed though, I love the failed hospital scam lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

He is a lazy rear end in a top hat and I'm not just someone with no authority on the matter. But let's just agree that someone lazy enough to let himself die needs professional assistance.