Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

isshiki owns, this comic owns, life is beautiful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It's impressive that I'm now in the mode to not violently throw up at the thought of eating eel.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Gyges posted:

It's impressive that I'm now in the mode to not violently throw up at the thought of eating eel.

Eel is really good with BBQ sauce in sushi, it's like a richer salmon and it absorbs the flavour really well.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I will never fail to mark out for the happy go lucky character getting serious and crushing some noob. gently caress him up.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

That is some excellent screen tone and line work, forged in the fires of drawing smut and tempered in a thousand thousand doujins.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

That is some excellent screen tone and line work, forged in the fires of drawing smut and tempered in a thousand thousand doujins.

Like the bran fish and the bran is foodgasms

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I'm sure the raw would look even better.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Same

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
For those who don't know, in order to butcher eel you need to nail its head to a cutting board and then slice it.

This is because even if you decapitate an eel, its muscles will still move. So without stabilizing it by nailing it to a cutting board the eel will thrash around he whole time you're trying to fillet it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So what you're saying is that Isshiki is a stone-cold motherfucker?

Because that's all I'm getting from all the posts before me. And I, for one, I'm glad that the cute Naked Apron-senpai can show his cool side.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Gyges posted:

Man I do not understand this sentiment at all. I mean if you're British and your only exposure to eel is the jellied stuff that comes in jars sure I guess, but it is one of the yummiest fish out there. It's much meatier and more substantial than a lot of other seafood, and as noted by others it's one of the best dishes you can get in Japan. Who can say no to this bowl of unagi-don?

Don't be a hater.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ShadowCatboy posted:

Man I do not understand this sentiment at all. I mean if you're British and your only exposure to eel is the jellied stuff that comes in jars sure I guess, but it is one of the yummiest fish out there. It's much meatier and more substantial than a lot of other seafood, and as noted by others it's one of the best dishes you can get in Japan. Who can say no to this bowl of unagi-don?

Don't be a hater.

I would eat that in a heartbeat

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Unagi-don is good poo poo and so is unagi sushi.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ShadowCatboy posted:

Don't be a hater.

Holy poo poo! This brings back some memories. It was right after a Hanami back in 2009. It was tasty as all get-out and I'm saddened that none of the local Japanese-style restaurants here do it. :(

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
So has anyone else noticed some kind of implied connection between Isshiki and Nene? There seems to be a lot of significant cuts between the two of them, like this one:

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Alacron posted:

So has anyone else noticed some kind of implied connection between Isshiki and Nene? There seems to be a lot of significant cuts between the two of them, like this one:

I presume they're both from big powerful traditional Japanese families.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Wark Say posted:

Holy poo poo! This brings back some memories. It was right after a Hanami back in 2009. It was tasty as all get-out and I'm saddened that none of the local Japanese-style restaurants here do it. :(

If you have a local asian grocer they may sell it in the frozen aisle. Just bake it up and serve on rice.

I made some for my ex boyfriend once and the moment he had a bite his eyes bulged and he had trouble keeping it down. He was strangely terrified of eel, but then again he grew up in a really white neighborhood in Boston.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ShadowCatboy posted:

Don't be a hater.

You're making me want to go back to Japan. None of the places near me sell it and i'm very upset. :(

Alacron posted:

They're the sixth and seventh seat and they seem to have similar roots. I'd be surprised if they didn't have some significant background together. I'm kind of expecting that Nene will be just as focused about beating Isshiki as she will be about defeating Soma, especially seeing as how Isshiki's actual opponent doesn't seem like that big a deal.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Alacron posted:

Heirs to powerful food dynasties who have big expectations put upon them, with the difference that Isshiki eschewed them and struck out on his own and Nene embraced them.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
For some interesting context, Julio is originally a character from the one-shot pilot they originally made for Shokugeki as a pitch and Soma's first opponent in the series.

http://m.mangafox.me/manga/shokugeki_no_soma/v01/c000/27.html

It looks like he was close to 1:1 transplanted. The one-shot itself's pretty interesting to read to see what stayed constant, what elements have actually come up in the plot, and which concepts (characters especially) were changed.

http://m.mangafox.me/manga/shokugeki_no_soma/v01/c000/2.html

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 31, 2017

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ChronoReverse posted:

I presume they're both from big powerful traditional Japanese families.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

You're making me want to go back to Japan. None of the places near me sell it and i'm very upset. :(

They're the sixth and seventh seat and they seem to have similar roots. I'd be surprised if they didn't have some significant background together. I'm kind of expecting that Nene will be just as focused about beating Isshiki as she will be about defeating Soma, especially seeing as how Isshiki's actual opponent doesn't seem like that big a deal.
Part of the deal that I get with Isshiki is that, his own quirks aside, he appears to be the most personable and "Down to Earth" out of the Elite 10 which is why I'm guessing that he was sort of the face for official ceremonies and PR for Tootsuki before Food Aizen Azami ousted him from his position. Additionally, I'm getting a vibe that Nene is one of the few people who's actually aware that he's monstrously better than he appears and should be higher on the Elite 10 ranking if he wasn't... well, our beloved Naked Apron-senpai. :allears:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

ShadowCatboy posted:

Don't be a hater.

I can't say no to unagi in general, I have to have at least one unagi dish any time I go out for Japanese. =X

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ShadowCatboy posted:

Don't be a hater.

As a good, god fearing Midwesterner I was brought up to mistrust all things from the ocean. That poo poo could kill you in Kansas during the times of my Great Grandmother and Grandmother. Later, living on the coasts I did grow to love fish, but eel is a dish all but non-existent in most of the US. So this is what comes to mind when I think of eel

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Eel sushi is the only fish sushi I can handle cause I am not fond of raw fish.

Eel is super good.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Gyges posted:

As a good, god fearing Midwesterner I was brought up to mistrust all things from the ocean. That poo poo could kill you in Kansas during the times of my Great Grandmother and Grandmother. Later, living on the coasts I did grow to love fish, but eel is a dish all but non-existent in most of the US. So this is what comes to mind when I think of eel

Freshwater eels aren't nearly that scary.

And I do sympathize with the Midwestern thing: one of my friends grew up in Ohio and I helped get her to try shrimp for the first time. She's adventurous but still skeptical of seafood. Still, I don't see anything all that scary about fish, even eels. They don't have dozens of spindly legs or stingers or anything.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The eel thing reminds me of Shota no Sushi: Nationals where the rival did a X-ray of an eel to find out where all the bones were and pick them out with tweezers.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Reminds me a little of Addicted to Curry where the MC, to match a prodigy at filleting eels and finely slicing them to remove bones, used a pineapple cut to compensate for the skill gap

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

SwissArmyDruid posted:

They have a saying in Japan, three months moaning dialogue, three years boob shape, and a whole lifetime speed lines.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ShadowCatboy posted:

Still, I don't see anything all that scary about fish, even eels. They don't have dozens of spindly legs or stingers or anything.

Just look at that first picture. Some Eels have really really sharp teeth and can take off fingers and stuff like nothing.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
That's why we eat them first before they eat us.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

her face is always really good and also the best thing

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

where the red fern gropes posted:

her face is always really good and also the best thing

She is also the best character.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Gyges posted:

Can we get an adventures of Rindou and Isshiki spin off?

I mean, I ship them, I could try my hand at that kind of thing, if you know what I mean

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hate-Senpai posted:

Amazing what immediately having a personality does for someone.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Amazing what immediately having a personality does for someone.

tbf many other characters also have a personality. She just has the best one.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Hate-Senpai posted:

first appearance "hmm yes this is going to be the cold clinical character who is secretly cruel and poo poo"

a short while later "nevermind, more please"

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Wark Say posted:

Part of the deal that I get with Isshiki is that, his own quirks aside, he appears to be the most personable and "Down to Earth" out of the Elite 10 which is why I'm guessing that he was sort of the face for official ceremonies and PR for Tootsuki before Food Aizen Azami ousted him from his position. Additionally, I'm getting a vibe that Nene is one of the few people who's actually aware that he's monstrously better than he appears and should be higher on the Elite 10 ranking if he wasn't... well, our beloved Naked Apron-senpai. :allears:

Last chapter had that bit about Nene not being the type of kid who resented being forced into the family tradition. I wouldn't be surprised if when Isshiki's backstory is covered, we get a panel or tow explaining that he does resent being forced into the family tradition, hence his walking away from it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
isshiki is a free spirit. that's his sole defining trait. so, he would never willingly live a life full of restrictions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

tbf many other characters also have a personality. She just has the best one.

Really, I was just comparing her and Megumi's to everyone else's.