Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You're an anthropomorphic cat but also own a cat.

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

What is Night in the Woods anyway? I haven't really been paying attention, just kinda seen pictures and such. Someone just used it in the same sentence as Undertale so now I'm paying attention :v:

I'm playing it now and went in completely blind. It's a story driven game with some light platforming and minigames. I'm not very far into it, I don't think, but so far it's about coming back to your home town after dropping out of college. I think it's really good so far, but it's text heavy. Its visual style works really well. The read a lot of conversations, but I think the dialogue writing is good and they do a neat thing where each main character has a color associated with them and their dialogue is always in that color. It helps me keep the characters straight.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

cats are good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2UyJDS9XBo

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You're an anthropomorphic cat but also own a cat.
Sounds like the Goofy and Pluto conundrum all over again.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I don't really know if Valve is the worst but they sure do seem to do some things that I would characterize as "sketchy" like the recent Dota2 shop monetization thing where they drastically hosed over people creating the content, the whole "CSGO weapon skin gambling" thing which they seemed perfectly content to let ride until it blew up in their faces, the history of Steam refunds being "we had to do this or it would open us up to legal problems in the EU," etc. I can't even bring myself to give a poo poo about the whole "early access and greenlight flood the Steam store with garbage" argument because I'm not aware of there being much in the way of concrete evidence that this negatively impacts deserving indie games, and as other people have pointed out it's largely to developers' benefits to have an easier time getting their game on perhaps the largest (or at least one of the largest) video game content delivery pipeline in the world buuuuut they do seem to be more concerned with raking in fat stacks of cash than, for example, improving their customer service or making QoL improvements.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Valve has a very... uncommon management structure.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I would have loved for Yanis Varoufakis to write about what he saw at Valve as an economist and outsider, but I guess he had bigger problems to deal with these past few years

http://i.imgur.com/9xjoCRt.mp4

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 31, 2017

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

I agree.

After my cat died earlier this month, I refined some of the clay we dug up to bury him (most of the soil here is clay-heavy) and yesterday I made this.

Sorry for the low quality photo, my phone camera sucks.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Hope says hello and thank you for the compliment

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I agree.

After my cat died earlier this month, I refined some of the clay we dug up to bury him (most of the soil here is clay-heavy) and yesterday I made this.

Sorry for the low quality photo, my phone camera sucks.
awww that's cute and sweet, sorry about your cat

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

I don't really know if Valve is the worst but they sure do seem to do some things that I would characterize as "sketchy" like the recent Dota2 shop monetization thing where they drastically hosed over people creating the content, the whole "CSGO weapon skin gambling" thing which they seemed perfectly content to let ride until it blew up in their faces, the history of Steam refunds being "we had to do this or it would open us up to legal problems in the EU," etc. I can't even bring myself to give a poo poo about the whole "early access and greenlight flood the Steam store with garbage" argument because I'm not aware of there being much in the way of concrete evidence that this negatively impacts deserving indie games, and as other people have pointed out it's largely to developers' benefits to have an easier time getting their game on perhaps the largest (or at least one of the largest) video game content delivery pipeline in the world buuuuut they do seem to be more concerned with raking in fat stacks of cash than, for example, improving their customer service or making QoL improvements.

Early Access is the concept of the scam legitimized so that all parties involved except the consumer can profit. The company should be dismantled from the inside out.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

Hope says hello and thank you for the compliment

here is eva nice and comfy in her cat bed

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

No kitty that's my bed!!!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Lurdiak posted:

Is that a Maine Coon or something like it?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yes puppy my bed is your bed!!!

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Lurdiak posted:

wash your pillowcases

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

And I hope that's the recycling bin there :colbert:

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
When​ you let your digital storefront get filled with broken asset rips, scams, and UnitZ with the serial numbers filed off it makes it harder for the actual, possibly good indie games to get noticed. There's a lot to like about a system that allows indie developers a simple way onto the largest digital distribution platform, but nobody benefits when the standards for that platform are lax enough to allow games that are literally unplayable due to missing executable files or are simply packages full of stolen assets.

Edit: cats are awesome

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 31, 2017

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Dr Cheeto posted:

When​ you let your digital storefront get filled with broken asset rips, scams, and UnitZ with the serial numbers filed off it makes it harder for the actual, possibly good indie games to get noticed.

Again, this is the argument a lot of people go to but is there actual significant evidence that all the cheap lovely scamware actually has a negative impact on the good indie games out there? Everybody rolls their eyes at "games journalism" for good reason but at the very least they don't seem to give a lot of exposure to the asset rips and broken Russian shovelware as opposed to, say, the Brigadors and Hollow Knights of the world. Has there actually been some legitimately great game whose sales were crippled as a direct result of Valve's lack of curation?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

Again, this is the argument a lot of people go to but is there actual significant evidence that all the cheap lovely scamware actually has a negative impact on the good indie games out there? Everybody rolls their eyes at "games journalism" for good reason but at the very least they don't seem to give a lot of exposure to the asset rips and broken Russian shovelware as opposed to, say, the Brigadors and Hollow Knights of the world. Has there actually been some legitimately great game whose sales were crippled as a direct result of Valve's lack of curation?

yes.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kai Tave posted:

I think it harms Steam's legitimacy as a platform. "I got my game on steam!" means literally nothing anymore and that sucks.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

have you, the idiot who doesn't do research, heard of

TAHIRA
TENTH LINE
VOIDSPIRE TACTICS
CODEX OF VICTORY
LINK
WUPPO

because those are games that are good but sold like poo poo because they are buried under garbage

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

How did you hear about them?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Snak posted:

I can't believe anyone still wants or cares about Half Life 3. That's as bad as Firefly fans...

At this point I think people only care about it in the way people used to "care" about Duke Nukem Forever, as in they don't really give a poo poo anymore but they just want it to get released and get it over with.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

How did you hear about them?

i used to obsessively browse the new release list and mark anything that looked remotely interesting

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

TAHIRA
TENTH LINE
VOIDSPIRE TACTICS
CODEX OF VICTORY
LINK
WUPPO

because those are games that are good but sold like poo poo because they are buried under garbage

Yes because before Greenlight those games would have gotten into Steam via, uh

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

At this point I think people only care about it in the way people used to "care" about Duke Nukem Forever, as in they don't really give a poo poo anymore but they just want it to get released and get it over with.

But Valve isn't even claiming to be developing HL3, as far as I know... so...

You're probably right though.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I want a new Half Life because I like the series and think Valve makes good video games. hth

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Well, given Valve's management structure, it will be an absolute miracle if it ever happens.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Man there was a string from like HL2: Ep 2 to Portal 2 where Valve was just putting out a steady stream of solid-great games. Couldn't wait to see what they did next then DOTA 2 happened and welp.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

TAHIRA
TENTH LINE
VOIDSPIRE TACTICS
CODEX OF VICTORY
LINK
WUPPO

Yeah sorry when I put in "good games drowned out by Steam Greenlight" into Google it didn't instantly return a bunch of neatly compiled data for me to read.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

plz dont pull out posted:

Man there was a string from like HL2: Ep 2 to Portal 2 where Valve was just putting out a steady stream of solid-great games. Couldn't wait to see what they did next then DOTA 2 happened and welp.

Basically, for half life 3 to get made, someone who works at valve would have to raise their hand and say "Okay, I'll make Half Life 3" and then, if it fails, it's on them. And they would have to recruit people to work on it from other, lower risk projects. Valve, as a whole, isn't going to decide to do Half Life 3 and then assign people to work on it. Some idiot has to propose it and then it will be their project. Their neck.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I can't say I really care one way or another about Half Life 3 but for a while Valve basically had some of the best comedic writers in video games on hand and it's kind of a shame that we don't even get TF2 animations from them anymore let alone something like a new Portal.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

i used to obsessively browse the new release list and mark anything that looked remotely interesting

Sounds like you failed these games by not telling us about them sooner. 😑

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

plz dont pull out posted:

Valve didn't make Portal.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's always worth reiterating that I feel. Like Valve's greatest achievement ever is buying the publishing rights to a student project that they summarily ruined by producing an unnecessary sequel.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Portal 2 was, and this may be controversial, good.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I enjoyed Portal 2 more than the first. Co-op was really neat!

Kai Tave posted:

I can't say I really care one way or another about Half Life 3 but for a while Valve basically had some of the best comedic writers in video games on hand and it's kind of a shame that we don't even get TF2 animations from them anymore let alone something like a new Portal.

Someone has to write those Dota 2 announcer packs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Reminder that Portal 2 has a hats buying system.

• Locked thread