Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Maxwell Adams posted:

I dunno, I've been annoyed with his design from the start. They established way back in the day that Apocalypse didn't actually that grin on his face, and what we thought was his body was actually a robot suit being worn by a withered old guy inside it.

Whoa, what is that from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

irlZaphod posted:

Whoa, what is that from?

The culmination of 'The Twelve', an event that they sort of spent about 15 years dropping hints about until it finally happened. It led directly into Ages of Apocalypse, a completely different thing than Age of Apocalypse, what kid of dummy would get confused about that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apocalypse:_The_Twelve

Maxwell Adams fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 30, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Maxwell Adams posted:

The woman is Idie, she has fire/ice powers and complex feelings about god. I think she's the only character from generation hope who's still around. The dude is Romeo, Iceman's inhuman boyfriend

Idie also notably took the actions that caused the Schism.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Maxwell Adams posted:

The culmination of 'The Twelve', an event that they sort of spent about 15 years dropping hints about until it finally happened. It led directly into Age of Apocalypse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apocalypse:_The_Twelve

It did not. AoA was 5 years before.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ages of Apocalypse is not Age of Apocalypse is not X-Men: Age of Apocalypse.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Aughf. That's what I get for skimming a wikipedia article.

Seriously, though. AgeS of Apocalypse?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Roger Gocking is the only Dad that kid should ever need.

I dread the day somebody decides that Jess needs to be revamped again.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Maxwell Adams posted:

Aughf. That's what I get for skimming a wikipedia article.

Seriously, though. AgeS of Apocalypse?

It was basically just the name of a short story arc, mostly so Alan Davis could draw alternate X-Men versions running about.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Just wait until the next Apocalypse story arch, set in the future: Aged of Apocalypse!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Remember when they tried to do an Age of Apocalypse ongoing semi-recently and they thought it'd be a great idea to kill off or de-power every single iconic X-character from the AOA universe?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Aegis of Apocalypse

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Maxwell Adams posted:

I dunno, I've been annoyed with his design from the start. They established way back in the day that Apocalypse didn't actually that grin on his face, and what we thought was his body was actually a robot suit being worn by a withered old guy inside it.

This is hosed if true beyond belief. I don't know how to process this. Do not like.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Okay, so Thunderbolts had Kobik come out and say that Red Skull asked her to change history so that Steve was Hydra. Which, to me would imply that the Allies winning is still the *real* reality. IDK, no one reads Thunderbolts.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

redbackground posted:

It was basically just the name of a short story arc, mostly so Alan Davis could draw alternate X-Men versions running about.

And, really, who wouldn't want that?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Soonmot posted:

Okay, so Thunderbolts had Kobik come out and say that Red Skull asked her to change history so that Steve was Hydra. Which, to me would imply that the Allies winning is still the *real* reality. IDK, no one reads Thunderbolts.

Unless that's Spencer it doesn't really matter what they said there.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Maxwell Adams posted:

This has varied for years, probably decades at this point, several origin stories have En Saba Nur with the blue fishlips and this becomes a visual theme that carries through to the later Clan Akkaba stuff, like when Chamber got his cyber-torso and jaw. He's also been a normal-looking dude in a suit repeatedly, sometimes even a normal-looking non-white dude! As of the current All-New X-Men, fishlips is the one they're going with.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I'm just grasping at anything that makes the Nazis won thing not true, because it's terrible

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Soonmot posted:

I'm just grasping at anything that makes the Nazis won thing not true, because it's terrible

Okay, you gotta understand Marvel and comics in general here. Everyone figured that Cap's heel turn was just going to be temporary because of course it was, and no matter how much they insisted it wasn't mind control etc. We knew that it couldn't possibly be true that Captain America was secretly a Nazi this entire time. And since everyone knew that the "Cosmic Cube change reality to make Steve actually from Hydra" change could never last, Marvel knew it had to be one step ahead of of the fans! It's not that Steve had his reality changed, it's that Steve had himself restored to how he was before the ALLIES rewrote reality so Hydra would lose!

One wonders why Hydra didn't just rewrite reality so that it went back to the 'real' reality where they won instead of changing just one person. But maybe they just like the fight? But in the end it's going to be revealed that the Allies won, Hydra got the Cosmic cube to change reality, then the Allies changed it back, and now Hydra changed it again! Unless they want to be "Deep" and "Meaningful" and "Question if it's right to alter reality to change a person"

Which... I dunno if that was me, I wouldn't do that with the loving Nazi's. It's really like someone read Identity Crisis, looked to DC and said "Pfft, you wanna talk about editing memories after a Supervillain raped someone. Hold my beer."

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Someone at Marvel really liked The Man in the High Castle.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Maxwell Adams posted:

This is just wrong

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

Someone at Marvel really liked The Man in the High Castle.

Oh! Goddamn suddenly this all makes perfect sense. I forgot about that airing.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Apocalypse whole survival of the fittest shtick doesn't fit with old man in a suit imo. If he was a normal human who grew into and was modified by High Evolutionarys tech into blue fish lips I can take. It's more appropriate for him to radiate tremendous presence and physical power.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Gatts posted:

Apocalypse whole survival of the fittest shtick doesn't fit with old man in a suit imo. If he was a normal human who grew into and was modified by High Evolutionarys tech into blue fish lips I can take. It's more appropriate for him to radiate tremendous presence and physical power.

He was never a normal human, he was the first mutant who got his hands on Celestial tech and then used it to overthrow Kang-a Tut.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

rantmo posted:

He was never a normal human, he was the first mutant who got his hands on Celestial tech and then used it to overthrow Kang-a Tut.

Yeah let me rephrase that, a mutant but I mean a normal human looking dude.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax
I like the idea that the blue/purple stuff is armor and it's just a human looking dude underneath like Darth Vader.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr President posted:

I like the idea that the blue/purple stuff is armor and it's just a human looking dude underneath like Darth Vader.

You like that a character with a non caucasian skin color is cracked open to reveal a white dude.

I am shocked.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

You like that a character with a non caucasian skin color is cracked open to reveal a white dude.

I am shocked.

Wait that's not what I meant at all

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Mr President posted:

and that's not even talking about the excellent series by Mark Millar

I don't think anything with Mark Miller's name attached to it is anywhere remotely close to being considered excellent... or even okay-ish.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

I am shocked.

lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mr President posted:

Wait that's not what I meant at all

Owned

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Maxwell Adams posted:

The woman is Idie, she has fire/ice powers and complex feelings about god. I think she's the only character from generation hope who's still around. The dude is Romeo, Iceman's inhuman boyfriend.

That's just awful.

I get what he's doing here, but because what he's doing is, at it's core, "What twist can I put on this 14 year old character" it's not very compelling.

Plus this idea is literally Doctor Doom's whole thing already; it's not the burnt, crispy body, it's the indomitable mind.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The Twelve was just generally awful so at least it's in line with the narrative whole.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

SilverSupernova posted:

I don't think anything with Mark Miller's name attached to it is anywhere remotely close to being considered excellent... or even okay-ish.

Let's see:

Kick rear end Multi Million Dollar Franchise
Kings men Multi Million Dollar Franchise
Avengers (MCU inspired by Ultimates) Multi Billion Dollar Franchise
Logan (inspired by Old Man Logan) billion dollar film
Civil War billion dollar film based on Marvels most successful miniseries

Seems like an excellent track record to me

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Did Spencer really say that Steve Rogers was originally a Nazi all along and the cosmic cube made the reality where he was Captain America, or am I dead and in hell

Mr President posted:

Let's see:

You know Mark Millar is a liberal right?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mr President posted:

His worst comic must be Swamp Thing . He only earned a regular salary off of that!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Mr President posted:

Let's see:

McDonald's is the most successful restaurant in the world. That doesn't make it the best restaurant.

Millar is a fairly solid idea man, but most of his work has been heavily massaged in order to get it into a usable state for translation to another medium. Kick-rear end is probably the single most faithful adaptation of his work, and even it changes the ending of the first series. (And it's entirely for the better.) Kingsman and Wanted are both unrecognizable in all but the broadest strokes.

The books that Millar has actually written tend to get hefty amounts of fan backlash once somebody thinks about them for more than ten seconds. His Ultimates is mostly carried by Bryan Hitch's art and has a lot of truly unpleasant story decisions as it goes, "Old Man Logan" has the incestuous Hulk descendants, and Civil War is an interesting idea and led to some decent stories, but the original series is a notorious dumpster fire with admittedly great art.

I'll admit I liked MPH, but the best thing with Millar's name on it is still probably his Adventures of Superman run.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I really like Red Son, and I'm totally willing to admit that's probably thanks to Morrison paving over the Millar-est parts of the story.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I really wanted to like Millar's "Marvel 1985" but ehhhhh

One sticking point about him being, as was pointed out, a fairly good ideas guy is that he gets to be the one that ends up using those ideas, and then the resulting work is all Millary and bad, and then the idea is pretty much unfit for use or recycling.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Lurdiak posted:

I really like Red Son, and I'm totally willing to admit that's probably thanks to Morrison paving over the Millar-est parts of the story.

I thought Morrison just wrote or suggested the ending?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lightning Lord posted:

I thought Morrison just wrote or suggested the ending?
More importantly who came up with the Bat-Urshanka?

• Locked thread