Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So hyped for Cars 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

21 Muns posted:

So hyped for Cars 3

Spoiler: he doesn't win the race but then he trains really hard and learns some important lessons then he wins he race

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
To be fair, Lightning did indeed lose the race in the first Cars and even came in third

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
What if the race is a metaphor... for race relations

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

From what a lot of early press buzz says it's Midlife crisis McQueen fighting millennials

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Macaluso posted:

To be fair, Lightning did indeed lose the race in the first Cars and even came in third

Also he doesn't "train really hard" in either movie and the race is a b-plot in Cars 2 and I think doesn't even end. It's possible Lightning McQueen doesn't win any races on screen in any cars movie (he definitely is exposited as winning a bunch between the first two movies). Yes I have a 3 year old why do you ask?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I think if I had a kid I would hate animation

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The dog is bald and that makes it real cute

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Barudak posted:

Belle also isnt a princess.

She married into it.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
I just got back from finally seeing The Red Turtle. It was really neat! The art was great, the music was great, the little crabs were awesome, and I think it pulled off the "this is a fairy tale" feel quite a bit better than Kubo (and I liked Kubo a lot!).
I still think Zootopia probably deserves its win, but I do wish Red Turtle had gotten more attention, and a wider release.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

smug n stuff posted:

I just got back from finally seeing The Red Turtle. It was really neat! The art was great, the music was great, the little crabs were awesome, and I think it pulled off the "this is a fairy tale" feel quite a bit better than Kubo (and I liked Kubo a lot!).
I still think Zootopia probably deserves its win, but I do wish Red Turtle had gotten more attention, and a wider release.
Oh man, it was so beautifully animated. Absolutely gorgeous.

I'm actually surprised Hedrigall doesn't give it more attention considering what the dude does to that turtle.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Drifter posted:

Oh man, it was so beautifully animated. Absolutely gorgeous.

I'm actually surprised Hedrigall doesn't give it more attention considering what the dude does to that turtle.

Weak joke dude

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Why did Surf's Up need a sequel and why did it need to be a WWE joint

For the same reason Scooby Doo has 'em. Got to get kids to watch the wrestlemans.

As for the Coco trailer, the dog was kind of cute but wow that skeleton is off-putting. Something went wrong for me between the boneflesh mouth and the disembodied eyeballs plopped into the sockets. My first time seeing the Coco designs was a comparison between it and Book of Life and man, Book of Life just looks so good.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I suppose this is more fitting for TVIV, but seems Cartoon Network is getting a show based on Unikitty from The LEGO Movie. Maybe as a one-off April Fool's Day thing, I dunno.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
If it means less Teen Titans Go and Gumball, I'm all for it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Gumball and TTG are good, but I do agree there could be more variety.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Waffleman_ posted:

Gumball and TTG are good, but I do agree there could be more variety.

This is the CN weekly schedule for this week. I think we could use a little more variety, yeah.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yea, it's about as bad as the Johnny Test days

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

The_Doctor posted:

This is the CN weekly schedule for this week. I think we could use a little more variety, yeah.

This reminds me about the oft-used reason for Adult Swim to not have its own channel: It doesn't have enough programming to carry one.
Look at that. Four shows.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

they have other shows they can air in repeats all along the right hand side except the bottom two since they haven't aired, like Steven Universe, Adventure Time, Uncle Grandpa, Regular Show and Clarence that's what's so insane about this :psypop:

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 30, 2017

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I think like Johnny Test, TTG is just so loving cheap compare to other shows.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Are those other shows more serial than the shows that actually get aired?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also, back to the Unikitty show, the track record for animated shows based on Lord & Miller movies is not good, as we can see every day at 5:30.

E: Though I literally just noticed that the show remembers Flint's spray-on shoes, which is good attention to detail

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 30, 2017

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Klungar posted:

Are those other shows more serial than the shows that actually get aired?

Steven Universe and Adventure Time (at least up through season 5, where I'm at) are loosely serial. Sometimes there's a season goal or a multi-part episode, but they can typically be aired out of order. Uncle Grandpa isn't at all. Regular show I have no idea, as I'm only at two; it looks like it's not serial until the last season.

Also these shows have really huge seasons like 26-52 episodes per season. It's real weird there's no repeats from them. maybe there's some weirdo corporate thing or something :shrug:

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 30, 2017

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Waffleman_ posted:

Also, back to the Unikitty show, the track record for animated shows based on Lord & Miller movies is not good, as we can see every day at 5:30.

E: Though I literally just noticed that the show remembers Flint's spray-on shoes, which is good attention to detail

I reserve judgement until the finished product (if it is indeed real). Hey, the Lego Movie itself was brushed off hand by a lot of people for just being a feature length commercial. No reason it's spin off can't be the same surprise it was.

Admittedly, I can see why they're going about it this way. The Lego Movie seemed ripe by the Lego Company to become a new pillar like Star Wars, only one they didn't have to pay large dividends to Disney for. But after that first year of toys, nothing really seemed to come from it, as they kinda dropped the ball immediately by developing Lego Batman Movie and then surprisingly an almost unprompted Ninjago spinoff. Only now are they deep into production of the sequel, and in the interim leaving characters like Metalbeard, Emmet, and Unikitty forgotten. So I can see a show like this being pushed out by Warner/Lego to put some more Unikitty (and perhaps by extension Lego Movie) product on shelves, or at the very least a new line of girl/girl friendly toys to diversify the shelves that normally the Friends line occupies exclusively.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

SomeJazzyRat posted:

a new line of girl/girl friendly toys

Wait, Unikitty is canonically a lesbian???

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

Wow, kids today have it rough. Hey, wanna watch cartoons on Saturday morning!? Hope you like four solid hours of Teen Titans Go!

gently caress, when I was a kid I'd have at least four channels worth of cartoons I'd be jumping between, hell I'd switch to another channel during commercials and then get absorbed in another show and miss out on the one I was watching. Between Disney, YTV, Teletoon and Fox I was spoiled for choice cartoons.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
who still watches tv shows on actual television

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

who still watches tv shows on actual television

People with a decently long HDMI cable.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Wow, kids today have it rough. Hey, wanna watch cartoons on Saturday morning!? Hope you like four solid hours of Teen Titans Go!

gently caress, when I was a kid I'd have at least four channels worth of cartoons I'd be jumping between, hell I'd switch to another channel during commercials and then get absorbed in another show and miss out on the one I was watching. Between Disney, YTV, Teletoon and Fox I was spoiled for choice cartoons.

I didn't have cable as a kid so I relied on the weird Canadian and other import cartoons (occasional Nicktoons etc) on Australia's equivalent to PBS, on weekday afternoons. Also new episodes of Angry Beavers a friend taped off Nickelodeon for me :unsmith:

There were morning cartoons on commercial channels but I never woke up in time for those :shrug:

Oh and I finally got cable in like grade 10 but by then I thought I was too cool for cartoons, what a stupid idiot :rolleyes:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

I didn't have cable as a kid so I relied on the weird Canadian and other import cartoons (occasional Nicktoons etc) on Australia's equivalent to PBS, on weekday afternoons. Also new episodes of Angry Beavers a friend taped off Nickelodeon for me :unsmith:

There were morning cartoons on commercial channels but I never woke up in time for those :shrug:

Oh and I finally got cable in like grade 10 but by then I thought I was too cool for cartoons, what a stupid idiot :rolleyes:

This is adorable! I'm imagining you getting like a tape mailed to you every so often filled with nothing but Angry Beavers episodes. Then they do it like once or twice a month. :v:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I needed my beaver fix! SPOOT!

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

I needed my beaver fix! SPOOT!

Thank goodness Stump was there to record those episodes then.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

who still watches tv shows on not-Netflix

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
My animation bluray collection is growing, I got Moana and Robin Hood yesterday :kiddo:

It's a shame half the movies I want are either barebones editions now or in lovely two-packs with a DTV sequel. No I don't want Hunchback 2: Hunchback In Da Hood :mad:

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
drat, that Cartoon Network schedule is sad. I feel like it was a channel with a lot of variety and some really experimental stuff in the 90s, looks like everybody's just looking for their Spongebob now.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Doesn't help that it's apparently more profitable for Steven Universe to release in Bombs, despite the fact every single time, the show gets leaked weeks before they air.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
American programme scheduling completely baffles me, particularly with cartoons. I enjoyed Gravity Falls but for some reason it kept randomly taking months-long breaks between new episodes and I very quickly just couldn't be hosed with it anymore. TV needs to get its poo poo in gear if it wants to compete with people making new content regularly on youtube. Except they can't compete with these channels turning out mega quick, mega cheap content. TV's hosed. I saw somewhere that the average age of a BBC1 (UK channel obv) viewer was 61. This is the BBC's prime channel.

Uh anyway this is kinda a TV discussion rather than movies. drat it's such a dry looking year for feature-length animation.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Hedrigall posted:

When I was in grade 10 I discovered that YTV aired it's saturday morning cartoons starting at 2am and repeated them till 2pm, so I'd watch all the friday night anime followed by a trip to the store to pick up a slushie so I'd still be awake to watch cartoons in the early am's until they started to repeat around 7am. Reruns of ReBoot and Beast Wars filled in the time between anime ending and cartoons beginning.

God I wish I had that much free time now that I have decent internet access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Build-a-Boar posted:

American programme scheduling completely baffles me, particularly with cartoons. I enjoyed Gravity Falls but for some reason it kept randomly taking months-long breaks between new episodes and I very quickly just couldn't be hosed with it anymore. TV needs to get its poo poo in gear if it wants to compete with people making new content regularly on youtube. Except they can't compete with these channels turning out mega quick, mega cheap content. TV's hosed. I saw somewhere that the average age of a BBC1 (UK channel obv) viewer was 61. This is the BBC's prime channel.

Uh anyway this is kinda a TV discussion rather than movies. drat it's such a dry looking year for feature-length animation.

This seems to be a recent development in American TV. Like the aforementioned Steven Universe-style bombs (new one's been leaked, btw. lol) and the half-season bullshit that stations like AMC have started. It used to be you'd know new episodes of [x] were due based on the season and the channel would advertise the hell out of it beforehand. Adventure Time had a bomb in January? I think? And I found out halfway through by seeing a post on the official concept art Tumblr. I haaate the bomb thing. I keep missing poo poo.

Also, hey there, 90's children! I, too, got up on Sundays at 5 AM to watch Dragon Ball on that weird channel.
:unsmith: