Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Rirse posted:

Sorry about Unlimited Saga, but at least Saga Frontier more then makes up for it. One of my favorite games of all time.

I've wanted to play it since it came out. "From the makers of Final Fantasy VII? And it's got like 7 quests?" Totally had me sold as a kid even if that wasn't entirely the case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ambitious Spider posted:

made some foolish purchases to add to my rpg backlog

If you hate yourself that much you could just take up meth. It also has the advantage of being cheaper than retrogaming.

More seriously, I think the SaGa games are better in concept than they are in execution.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

shoulda bought the gb games.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I will defend Saga Frontier 1 and 2 to the death.

Moreso 1 though.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Ofecks posted:

Yeah I remember my local Kmart in the late 80s had a NES kiosk where you could switch freely between 10 first-party games. There was a SNES one later, but that had a time limit (it would hard-reset after 10 minutes or something). Never saw a Genesis setup like that.

Heh, irony. I never saw an NES kiosk (that I can recall, anyway) in my neck of the woods, but there was a Genesis kiosk at the local Kmart in my town back in the day.

TeaJay posted:

I'm pondering on getting a NTSC SNES Mini and I was thinking on what kind of euro PSU I need for it. I hear the PSU plug size is somewhat odd on the mini, what are the measurements exactly? Is it the same as on Super Famicom JR?

The US and Japanese consoles use different AC adapter plug types at the console end, and they aren't interchangeable. That said, within their respective regions the AC adapters are compatible between the two console variants (so original SNES AC adapter works on Mini, and same for the Super Famicom).

This is what the US plug type looks like:

Larger diameter and a black plastic rim at the end, basically. I think the PAL SNES units use the same plug type (but I'm not sure), but they apparently run AC power into the system or something which is decidedly UNGOOD, since the SNES expects DC power. Your best option, considering the higher voltage and apparent myriad of wall plug types in Europe anyway, might be to buy a voltage step-down convertor and just use the North American adapter through that.

Otherwise, you're probably going to be going on a hunt for an AC adapter and taking a crapshoot risk of it still frying your imported hardware anyway.

That said, I know Monitor Burn has sent his modded consoles to far-flung Australia, so it might be worth asking him if he has any feedback or knowledge he's gained in the matter (especially if you'd be buying a Mini from him AS YOU RIGHTLY SHOULD.)

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Harlock posted:

I will defend Saga Frontier 1 and 2 to the death.

Moreso 1 though.

Romancing SaGa is pretty good too as long as you can accept you will not 100% it on your first playthrough. Don't even try. Just play naturally.

There is no excuse for Unlimited SaGa.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Prism posted:

There is no excuse for Unlimited SaGa.

I will fight you all over Unlimited Saga. Game's obtuse but fun.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Phantasium posted:

shoulda bought the gb games.

I already had them. Only really played the first one though

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ambitious Spider posted:

I already had them. Only really played the first one though

Well, your duty now is to play through the entire series consecutively. We'll be here when you finish.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Kthulhu5000 posted:

That said, I know Monitor Burn has sent his modded consoles to far-flung Australia, so it might be worth asking him if he has any feedback or knowledge he's gained in the matter (especially if you'd be buying a Mini from him AS YOU RIGHTLY SHOULD.)

That I am. I also bought my RGB modded AV Famicom from him previously.

I was told, though, that the NTSC SNES and SNES Mini have the same plug type so this should work.

https://retrogamesupply.com/collections/nintendo/products/power-supply-for-nintendo-super-nes-us-ntsc

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 30, 2017

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10

TeaJay posted:

I'm pondering on getting a NTSC SNES Mini and I was thinking on what kind of euro PSU I need for it. I hear the PSU plug size is somewhat odd on the mini, what are the measurements exactly? Is it the same as on Super Famicom JR?
the us and euro snes use the same power supply plug and have the same power consumption, so if the mini is the same youd be set. alternatively one of the standard plugs that come with every universal power supply fits the plug as well even though it looks pretty different

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

TeaJay posted:

That I am. I also bought my RGB modded AV Famicom from him previously.

I was told, though, that the NTSC SNES and SNES Mini have the same plug type so this should work.

https://retrogamesupply.com/collections/nintendo/products/power-supply-for-nintendo-super-nes-us-ntsc

Yeah, that looks like it will work.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
The best part of SaGa Frontier is Asellus and White Rose :gay:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

So which is worse: Hydlide or Virtual Hydlide?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Quiet Feet posted:

never played virtual, but Hydlide was the worst game I played on the NES. Though I recently got Gauntlet 2, and that may take the cake (such a step down piece of poo poo from the first game).

So if virtual is worse..... wowzers...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Quiet Feet posted:

Virtual is really bad, but I have to go with NES Hydlide as worse. 8-bit Hydlide is all the worst aspects of early 80's computer RPG's shoved into trying to make a console port. The most playable console Hydlide is probably Hydlide 3 which gets that title mainly by being playable.

FireMrshlBill posted:

Though I recently got Gauntlet 2, and that may take the cake (such a step down piece of poo poo from the first game).

I can promise you that Gauntlet 2 is not the worst NES/Famicom game (I still give that title to the Japanese game about a real-life sexual predator rescuing real-life 12-year-old girls), though you're probably the only person other than myself who prefers NES Gauntlet 1 to its sequel. I genuinely like the first NES game, though that's a really unpopular opinion.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 31, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Virtual Hydlide on Saturn is possibly the ugliest game I've ever seen

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Random Stranger posted:

Virtual is really bad, but I have to go with NES Hydlide as worse. 8-bit Hydlide is all the worst aspects of early 80's computer RPG's shoved into trying to make a console port. The most playable console Hydlide is probably Hydlide 3 which gets that title mainly by being playable.

I can promise you that Gauntlet 2 is not the worst NES/Famicom game (I still give that title to the Japanese game about a real-life sexual predator rescuing real-life 12-year-old girls), though you're probably the only person other than myself who prefers NES Gauntlet 1 to its sequel. I genuinely like the first NES game, though that's a really unpopular opinion.

Gauntlet 2 is slow and the levels are bare, the gameplay is just bad. So unless there is some issue with my cartridge causing the slowness, it is really a step down from the first. I like the first one on the NES. Not saying it is as good as the arcade, but still more than playable and enjoyable on the NES. Especially in comparison to the sequel, at least from what I have played (I grew up playing the original, and spent 1 miserable hour on the sequel). Maybe I'll do a side-by-side comparison down the line when I get some free time.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
nes gauntlet 1 is one of the worst games i have ever played in my life

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

absolutely anything posted:

The worst game I've ever played in my life is probably Mega Man X7

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Scratch that it's DOTA2.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

In Training posted:

The worst game I've ever played in my life is probably Mega Man X7

that game is also very bad but doesn't require you to visit various permanently missable secret rooms to get the (randomly generated) password to the final level and lock its checkpoints behind successfully completing bonus levels that are sometimes impossible to complete unless you've maxed out the speed of the fastest character in the game (and even then you get by with maybe like a second or two to spare)

e: and that's all on top of it not being fun to play in the first place

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 31, 2017

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

You have lived a fortunate life.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

You have lived a fortunate life.

ok, sure, i've probably dabbled in worse so it's one of the worst games i've played to completion

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

that game is also very bad but doesn't require you to visit various permanently missable secret rooms to get the (randomly generated) password to the final level and lock its checkpoints behind successfully completing bonus levels that are sometimes impossible to complete unless you've maxed out the speed of the fastest character in the game (and even then you get by with maybe like a second or two to spare)

e: and that's all on top of it not being fun to play in the first place

Sure but have you seen the X7 Kart racer level

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4RFmBDsZdQ

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

x7 has tornado tonion, the tornado onion, to balance it out though. no tonion in gauntlet.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

This is a shameful list of bad games that does not include having played Super Pitfall on a Tandy.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Virtual Hydlide owns because it's basically Dark Souls LARP: The Game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Silhouette posted:

Virtual Hydlide owns because it's basically Dark Souls LARP: The Game

There may be mechanically worse games but I stand by my claim that Virtual Hydlide is the ugliest all time

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Ten minutes and six seconds and there was not one frame of that video that was redeemable.

Yeesh.

Sorry, I mean :holymoley:

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

In Training posted:

There may be mechanically worse games but I stand by my claim that Virtual Hydlide is the ugliest all time

I'd agree with you but a few years ago I helped my friend play through a bunch of European/UK only PS2 releases for an LP thing that went nowhere and holy gently caress are some of those games ugly.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Random Stranger posted:

I can promise you that Gauntlet 2 is not the worst NES/Famicom game (I still give that title to the Japanese game about a real-life sexual predator rescuing real-life 12-year-old girls), though you're probably the only person other than myself who prefers NES Gauntlet 1 to its sequel.

Wait—what game is this?

Also I'll always have a soft spot for Gauntlet 2 because it was my introduction to the series, and it was one of the NES games I played the most with my best friend at the time. We stayed up late trying to finish it one night and eventually noticed that the levels had started repeating at some point.

Honestly, I like a lot of the NES games commonly regarded as bad.

Clunky, punishingly difficult action adventure games have always held my interest, so Hydlide, Deadly Towers, Castlequest, Milon's Secret Castle, etc. wouldn't even make it on my list of the worst NES titles.

Spelunker is downright addictive once you get used to the notoriously fussy controls and ways in which it defies common video game logic—and recent revivals prove there were always the elements of a good game there.

My picks for the worst of the worst would probably be the hideously incompetent ports like Micronics' Ikari Warriors II and Ponycanyon's Ultima V: Warriors of Destiny. (I'm a fan of their versions of Ultima III and IV, though.) Or if unlicensed titles count, the worst has to be some Color Dreams/Bunch/Wisdom Tree turd like Robodemons or Castle of Deceit.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 31, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Gauntlet 3 is good and Super Hydlide/Hydlide 3 is alright. Play good games.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Rollersnake posted:

Wait—what game is this?

I bet Random Stranger is referring to:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tashiro_Masashi_no_Princess_ga_Ippai

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

That's the one. It plays awfully, too, but the horrifying real-life context just makes it so much worse. I wrote this post about it a while ago.

Rollersnake posted:

Milon's Secret Castle, etc. wouldn't even make it on my list of the worst NES titles.

Spelunker is downright addictive once you get used to the notoriously fussy controls and ways in which it defies common video game logic—and recent revivals prove there were always the elements of a good game there.

I think Milon and Spelunker play pretty well myself. Spelunker seems to get grief mainly because it follows the rules of the pre-Super Mario Bros platformer and Milon because unless you understand that the game is doing you can't get past the second level. Anybody who throws those on a "worst" list really haven't found out what the library is like.

I cannot defend Deadly Tower/Hell's Bells, however.

al-azad posted:

Gauntlet 3 is good and Super Hydlide/Hydlide 3 is alright. Play good games.

The Gauntlet 3 on the Lynx isn't horrible, but it's severely limited by the platform. The Gauntlet 3 on computer systems is a piece of poo poo. These are two different games, FWIW, developed and called "Gauntlet 3" by totally separate groups with the computer game being a few years older than the Lynx game.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Mar 31, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
It's such a shame that Epyx/Atari insisted on the Lynx having such a low res screen (160x102 for a "widescreen" look, when the Game Gear and Game Boy are 160x144). It really messes with a lot of games.

Hell. maybe the Lynx should have been scrapped as a handheld altogether and put out as a TurboGrafx 16-like intermediate console between the NES/SMS and Genesis/SNES eras. It's already power hungry enough that it might as well be plugged into a wall at all times, and it could then have done a more typical console resolution, the hardware's basically capable of it.

They could even re-release a portable version later in the system's life along the lines of the TurboExpress, where the battery life issues would be partially solved by how screen backlights and such were less power-hungry a few years on.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I remember thinking the Lynx was the raddest thing ever.

You could flip it upside down to accommodate lefties! Lefties that have probably already learned how to play videogames in the "standard" configuration long by then!

lo carb Lo Pan
Oct 8, 2004

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

This is a shameful list of bad games that does not include having played Super Pitfall on a Tandy.

I played this as a dumb kid before Super Mario at a Radio Shack way back in the day thinking "HOLY poo poo THIS IS AWESOME!"

As an owner of two CoCo3's (the first one won't boot past green screen) and a joystick and the carts I was a loving stupid kid. (and a stupid adult :cry: :retrogames: :cry: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

The Gauntlet 3 on the Lynx isn't horrible, but it's severely limited by the platform. The Gauntlet 3 on computer systems is a piece of poo poo. These are two different games, FWIW, developed and called "Gauntlet 3" by totally separate groups with the computer game being a few years older than the Lynx game.

Lol I actually meant Gauntlet IV on Genesis which sits up there with ZAMN as best 16-bit co-op game. Gauntlet 3 is such a weird predicament, I don't know what was going through Atari's head.

• Locked thread