Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Clarste posted:

Clownpiece is one of the illegal immigrants from the Miko piece.

Shinmyoumaru, a rising star of the world of competitive river-rafting, made the switch from Singles to Doubles, where her physique switched from a handicap to an advantage. With her partner Wakasagihime, she took home the championship. It's unclear if Wakasagihime should've been allowed to compete at all, but there's no rule against it.

There's no rule that a mermaid can't play basketball!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

El Burbo posted:

There's no rule that a mermaid can't play basketball!

Congrats on post 10k in the thread!

Also, Sukuna is adorables still.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Well now I wish I sniped it with something better

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
There's an interview with Hecatia that's basically just one long scathing indictment of modern conservative politics. Mostly immigration issues.

Also, apparently Hecatia isn't in charge of Hell, she's simply one of the original residents from before the Yamas took over and turned the place into an afterlife. What she represents is closer to absolute freedom, in the sense that she's so strong that no one can stop her from doing whatever she wants, whenever she wants. The title of "goddess" is simply a respectful acknowledgement of her strength, and she considers herself more of an outlaw in modern Hell. She also hates the Moon so much. So so much.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

There's an interview with Hecatia that's basically just one long scathing indictment of modern conservative politics. Mostly immigration issues.

Also, apparently Hecatia isn't in charge of Hell, she's simply one of the original residents from before the Yamas took over and turned the place into an afterlife. What she represents is closer to absolute freedom, in the sense that she's so strong that no one can stop her from doing whatever she wants, whenever she wants. The title of "goddess" is simply a respectful acknowledgement of her strength, and she considers herself more of an outlaw in modern Hell. She also hates the Moon so much. So so much.

Man Hecatia's so cool. Good mum, hates the Moon, supports immigration, got the name God of Hell because she's just that good. I hope she's playable in the new fighting game.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

A story in three acts:

The Prismrivers make a surprise announcement that they're breaking up over creative differences. Lyrica is going solo.

The Prismrivers will be missed, but there's a new game in town: the Tsukumo sisters.

But surprise! The Prismrivers are back, and better than ever! Phantom Ensemble 2.0, now featuring the drumwork of Raiko Horikawa.

Interview with Raiko + Doremy selling a good night's sleep (warning: results may vary).

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Kagerou is organizing a game night at Kourindou's, and they play something called "Are You Human?" based on something the Foreigner (Sumireko) talked about. It's essentially Werewolf only backwards: one player is secretly chosen to be the one human in a group of youkai, and the rest try to figure out who it is and eat them. It's gotten something of a backlash due to its cynical premise, but players say it's pretty fun and makes them hungry.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

I like that the DDC characters get a lot of attention. Also, Azuma Ayas art.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

For the record, in Raiko's interview she talks about how the whole "Prismrivers breaking up" thing was a publicity stunt planned by her. She also insisted on putting the drums at the front of the stage and tried to change the band name to "The Horismrivers" (her surname is Horikawa, which can can be tranformed into Hori-river for her pun purposes).

On the right is Tenshi's editorial about how much the food in Heaven sucks. Well, it doesn't suck exactly, but it's all peaches all the time. Heaven is about being "satisfied" with what you have, so instead of having all sorts of luxuries available, it just has people who are satisfied with eating only peaches every day for eternity. They're really good peaches, but she's sick of them, and she got a chance to try meat and sushi when she visited Gensokyo so she really wants that instead.

On the left is Komachi's death forecast. While shinigami don't need to be present for every death, they do need to be there for some deaths. And they have a supernatural sense telling them where they need to be. So she marked the five places where she knows people are going to die in the next year or so. Ideally people would avoid them, not die, and reduce her workload. Unfortunately you can't really fight fate so those people are going die there no matter what they do.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Mar 30, 2017

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Poor Tsukumos. They finally get a shot at stardom only for their drummer to abandon them for their greatest rivals. :(

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Apparently the premise of the whole book is Aya, feeling threatened by Hatate's newspaper, discovers tabloids that were dragged in from the outside world. But she realizes that the magazine format requires more stimulating, eye-grabbing material than newspapers. To that end, she tweaked a lot of images and words for her articles, which she claims "anguished her newspaper-reporter's heart". That was one of the reasons why she stops after the first issue, but the REAL reason is because Hecatia hold her about Sagume and doesn't want to give the moon folk a way to twist the truth. The only thing she discovered to support that is the spread of urban legends, but she's afraid of her articles being accused as fabrications and thus become true.

And then finally she casually reveals Akyu's pseudonym.

It's a rough outline but I'll see about a full translation later.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

leather fedora posted:

Apparently the premise of the whole book is Aya, feeling threatened by Hatate's newspaper, discovers tabloids that were dragged in from the outside world. But she realizes that the magazine format requires more stimulating, eye-grabbing material than newspapers. To that end, she tweaked a lot of images and words for her articles, which she claims "anguished her newspaper-reporter's heart". That was one of the reasons why she stops after the first issue, but the REAL reason is because Hecatia hold her about Sagume and doesn't want to give the moon folk a way to twist the truth. The only thing she discovered to support that is the spread of urban legends, but she's afraid of her articles being accused as fabrications and thus become true.

And then finally she casually reveals Akyu's pseudonym.

It's a rough outline but I'll see about a full translation later.

Clarste posted:

Lots of pics

You're both doing god's work and we appreciate it.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Clarste posted:

Miko literally giving a speech about how you should elect her President of the human village because she'll stop the illegal youkai immigrants from stealing your jobs. She'll build a wall, and the youkai will pay for it!

Didn't realize at first this was Hitori. Beautiful. It also means this doujin is now canon.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Golly, this book has a lot of Sumireko

Nook
Jan 27, 2015

Sumireko totally just drops the fact that Mamizou comes to the outside world and hangs out with her like it's nothing.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Nook posted:

Sumireko totally just drops the fact that Mamizou comes to the outside world and hangs out with her like it's nothing.
This has a different feel after Mamizou started to threaten Kosuzu into giving her youma books.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The same chapter also explained that Youkai compartmentalise people and social situations and such way differently from humans, so meeting up in the outside world is probably not grounds for murder threats the way meeting up in the human village might be?

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

a cartoon duck posted:

The same chapter also explained that Youkai compartmentalise people and social situations and such way differently from humans, so meeting up in the outside world is probably not grounds for murder threats the way meeting up in the human village might be?
Was that youkai in general or the Tengu in particular?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I get it now

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It's time for Marisa's horoscopes! The genius magician has come up with her own innovative method of fortunetelling by combining traditional astrology with her own brand of danmaku fortunetelling. Simply get hit by these danmaku to receive incredible luck for the rest of your life. Marisa is not liable for any damage incurred while getting hit by danmaku.

Aries: Flying Sign "Flying Head" (Sekibanki)

When you're struck by this, your head will go flying just like the user. Apparently you're still conscious for a few moments after that, so that's pretty lucky.

Taurus: Deva Sign "Knockout in Three Steps" (used by Yuugi Hoshiguma)

She punches you right in the gut. Normally you'd die, but it's a spellcard so you don't. Lucky you.

Gemini: Strings "Storm Ensemble" (Tsukumo Sisters)

The nightmare melody causes you to lose your sanity as you die. Those with musical experience will be able to extend their life. Normal luck.

Cancer: Transformation "Bunbuku Hot Soup Bathtub" (Mamizou Futatsuiwa)

When you're hit by this you're forcefully boiled into a delicious soup. Even your bones become soft and edible. Nothing is wasted, so you're pretty lucky.

Leo: Nue Sign "Danmaku Chimera" (Nue Houjuu)

Anyone hit by this danmaku becomes unidentifiable as they die. Being able to become unidentifable without drinking? Lucky!

Virgo: Instinct "Release of the Id" (Koishi Komeiji)

When hit by this, your heart opens up as you die. Most people live their entire lives with their heart closed, so that's actually pretty lucky.

Libra: Glint "Seventeen Articles Laser" (Toyosatomimi no Miko)

Get impartially struck by lasers. Naturally, you'll die, but you'll die 17 times. Pretty lucky if you ask me.

Scorpio: Poison Sign "Poison Breath" (Medicine Melancholy)

This isn't danmaku so much as just poison. Obviously you'll suffer and die. But if you do manage to survive, that's pretty lucky of you.

Sagittarius: Light Sign "Earthlight Ray" (Marisa Kirisame)

Gotta say, being pierced from below sucks. Especially if you get pierced by so many of them that you die. But still, at least you got to meet me so that's lucky.

Capricorn: Forbidden Danmaku "Starbow Break" (Flandre Scarlet)

It's not every day you run into a rare character like her. In all likelihood you'll meet a cruel death, but hey, at least she actually used danmaku this time. Lucky you.

Aquarius: Horror "Tsurube-Otoshi Apparition" (Kisume)

You get hit in the head and die of cerebral hemorrhage. People with thick skulls will live, but will have such horrible head injuries that they'd wish they hadn't. Aren't you lucky you died?

Pisces: Hellfire "Infernal Essence of Grazing" (Clownpiece)

Caught between the frying pan and the fire, you'll be cooked to well-done by the end of it. Hellfire is pretty rare though, so you were lucky to see that.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 30, 2017

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

🤔

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Sagittariuses are so lucky..!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I wish I were a Pisces

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Namtab posted:

I wish I were a Pisces

I wish I was a taurus

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

El Burbo posted:

I wish I was a taurus

I'm tired of this dank life

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Oni are nice, only leave you in crippling pain. Everyone else is crazy, and hell, I'm glad of it.

Ain't danmaku supposed to be non-lethal by design though

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

As a weak baby man even the most non lethal thing may kill me.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I get to be nearly slain by a very powerful oni. :smug:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Mighty Dicktron posted:

I get to be nearly slain by a very powerful oni. :smug:

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I get to be eaten by a tanuki. :(

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Introducing Kourindou's latest product: the featureless black tablet.

Unlike its sister product, the smartphone, it's too large to be used as a paperweight, so I recommend throwing it like a shuriken. It's heavy enough to do some serious damage if it hits. You can also use it as a ultra-modern plate for serving food. The shiny black finish will give your meals quite the appearance. Not only that, if used as a mirror you won't have to worry about cleaning it: black hides all sorts of dirt and grime. Frankly, the possibilities are endless.

There's been quite a surge of them coming into Gensokyo recently, but surprisingly that's not because they're no longer in use. Instead, it seems the outside world is constantly buying new replacements, that do the exact same thing, for no reason, and the older ones are impossible to recycle. Well, their stupidity is our fortune: get your own featureless black tablet today!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Brainiac Five posted:

I get to be eaten by a tanuki. :(

Sounds pretty lucky to me.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Gensokyo hit by wave of unsettling dreams.

Victims report seeing an identical figure every night, who asks them bizarre questions like "How would you rate this product on a scale of 1 to 5?", "Is this product too hard? Too soft?", and "Would you recommend this product to your family or neighbors?"

In unrelated news, local youkai Doremy Sweet has been seeking to address these uncomfortable nights with her new product: the Sweet Dreams Pillow, guaranteeing a night of restful sleep. These pillows have been a hit with both humans and youkai, and it's no surprise, seeing as 1/3 of your life is spent sleeping. All the more reason for our bold reporters to get on top of the unsolved dream phenomenon.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I hope we get to see a closeup of the redesigned clownpiece

Also, too bad Yamame didn't get a mention in the horoscopes. It would certainly be a lucky individual that gets swaddled in spider webbing (and then have their guts liquefied and eaten).

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
Clownpiece didn't get a redesign, really. It's just the blurry style of the art made it so she looked different.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

It's just the CoLA artist giving the characters extra flair like he usually does

Clownpiece appears a couple of times in the book itself in her usual outfit

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
I've only read about half-way through but my favorite article so far is the one about the scandalous additive in Reisen's rice dumplings, known to cause addiction, weight gain, and flashbacks.

Sugar

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

leather fedora posted:

Clownpiece didn't get a redesign, really. It's just the blurry style of the art made it so she looked different.

El Burbo posted:

It's just the CoLA artist giving the characters extra flair like he usually does

Clownpiece appears a couple of times in the book itself in her usual outfit

dang

I love her outfit but it feels like a lot of work to make the stars look just right

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
This book alongside being a pretty fun parody of gossip magazines actually is a nice little character arc for Aya.

The tone of a bunch of articles are fear-mongering and all about "what are those foreigners planning!?!?" with her intentionally cropping images to make things seem more sinister, or as with the whole Miko thing, replacing the story entirely just to have something more exciting to go alongside the pictures. Basically it is just her doing everything she can to try and make something attention grabbing at the cost of being dishonest, even without outright lying at times. Of course then she has the conversation with Hecatia, which leads to her thinking about the information she was putting out there and how it was actually kinda harmful thanks to the way it painted things.

This then leads her to first start doing the corrections, where she apologizes for things like cropping out parts of images to make them seem less normal and for completely replacing the text in the Miko speech just to have something more exciting, and then ends with her concluding that the entire thing just isn't worth it and she just ends up scrapping the whole magazine.

It is a neat way of telling a story about Aya learning the power that media can have, and how much damage she can unintentionally cause by trying to make something more "exciting".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Hata no Kokoro, or rather “KKR 48″ for the forty-eight of her masks she’s decided to focus on artistically, has come up with another smash hit new play in her unique Modern Noh of Darkness style. Her latest work “Baked Dolls in Love”, is about a set of independent masks who manage to take human form and experience life for the first time. New sights, new feelings, and yes, falling in love. However, the flames of passion are too much for them, and and they become unable to maintain their human forms. However, they leave their lovers with a reminder in the form of pastries baked in their likenesses.

It’s a shockingly emotional work, for someone who displays no emotions on her face. Audiences will cry. Heck, this reporter cried.

A new disease has been spreading throughout Gensokyo: Smartphone Neck. Smartphones are, of course, Kourindou’s latest paperweight, but apparently they are known to carry some sort of infectious virus. According to our independent research, it puts strain on the cervical vertebrae, leading to disastrous results (pictured above). Everyone in Gensokyo is urged to discard their paperweights immediately lest it spread any more than it already has. There’s also a related affliction known as “walking with a smartphone out”, but fortunately this has yet to spread into Gensokyo.

Famous hot springs of Gensokyo, part 1: Old Hell’s Above-Ground Geyser

In this feature we will be exploring all the best hot springs Gensokyo has to offer, ranging from the famous, to the obscure, to the infamous. Each time the reporter will be switched out with someone particularly knowledgeable. In this case it’s these three, who are said to have visited springs in even the outside world.

Old Hell’s Geyser is the very latest hot spring, having only emerged a few years back. It’s great for relaxing, easing muscle pain, etc, but be warned: its temperature is literally Hellish. Humans should not stay in for long. And no, we don’t always wear our hats to the bath, it’s just because we were having our picture taken.