Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

The Lobster posted:

Can I play Horizon while I take a poo poo?

If you have a vita?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Norns posted:

If you have a vita?

So no.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Or a laptop or a smart phone or a tablet

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'm sorry you can only enjoy videogames while huffing your own farts though my man.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Norns posted:

I'm sorry you can only enjoy videogames while huffing your own farts though my man.

If they smell fantastic and enhance your gaming experience, who's to judge? :shrug:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

After I finished playing Zelda an hour ago a patch installed. Jose Otero of IGN says he thinks the framerate got better but that could just be a placebo effect. I want planning on playing again until tomorrow night, does it look better for anyone else?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I still haven't seen anyone give a satisfactory reason for me to play Horizon Zero Dawn and expect it to be any better than Assassin's Far Cry #584

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wow the fanboyism is so thick in here you could cut it with a knife.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Horizon Zero Dawn is like Forza Horizon, Star Fox Zero, and Until Dawn combined into one game. But this isn't the thread for it. Go bug that thread for reasons to play it. I haven't played it but had other than the forced arwing sections it's pretty good.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Is there some condition required for Epona to spawn other than "don't have already killed Epona"? I've been reloading this save and rescanning the amiibo for the last 20 minutes and nothing but chests with arrows or knight gear has dropped :argh:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I thought Horizon looked stupid because of its scripted E3 demos with awful dialogue. Also the aesthetic of "dinosaurs but they're robots :downs:" made me roll my eyes.

It might be a perfectly fine game but it personally didn't appeal to me. Then again I also didn't expect BotW to be anywhere near this good so :shrug:

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?
Horizon is good. Video games are really super good right now. I'd highly suggest wasting these fleeting hours of your existence by experiencing these excellent games!

More on topic, the update definitely fixed a lot of the problem spots, and I hope they continue tweaking it.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Norns posted:

More like I've had a stomach virus but you didn't need to know the sordid details of my making GBS threads.

E:

The Manticore posted:

Horizon is good. Video games are really super good right now. I'd highly suggest wasting these fleeting hours of your existence by experiencing these excellent games!

Yes, basically every game that has come out since January is GOTY caliber (but BotW is Best Game Ever tier, lbr). It's because reality is so poo poo right now God is blessing us with high quality fantasy for escapism purposes instead. (That might actually be the reason, too. Fiction does tend to improve in lovely times as a result of said lovely times.)

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 31, 2017

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Horizon seems like GOTY bait. Breath of the Wild seems like GOTY.

I think Horizon is super cool, especially for its place in the industry, and people should probably play it if they have the means... But comparing it to Breath of the Wild seems a bit silly.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 31, 2017

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Uhh, Kilton has quite the surprise for you when you finish all the beasts.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jehde posted:

"Goty bait"? What does that even mean?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Jehde posted:

I think Horizon is super cool, especially for its place in the industry, and people should probably play it if they have the means... But comparing it to Breath of the Wild seems a bit silly.

What the gently caress does "GOTY bait" mean?

Like does enjoyment of one diminish the other?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Both games are probably super fun, enjoy the good games, goons. :)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Icedude posted:

Is there some condition required for Epona to spawn other than "don't have already killed Epona"? I've been reloading this save and rescanning the amiibo for the last 20 minutes and nothing but chests with arrows or knight gear has dropped :argh:

Epona's a one shot deal, if she dies or you don't register her you can't get her anymore.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

s.i.r.e. posted:

Epona's a one shot deal, if she dies or you don't register her you can't get her anymore.

Problem is I can't seem to get her in the first place

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Icedude posted:

Problem is I can't seem to get her in the first place

Are you using the right Amiibo? Smash Bros. Link only.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Epona can definitely respawn, actually. I summoned her early on and lost her because I fast traveled without registering. Then just last week my Smash Link resummoned her, after a couple weeks of giving me arrows and Twilight clothes. I don't know if this can still happen if she dies though, but once she's registered I assume the horse fairy can do the rest.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I remember goons saying it was a one time only thing, I'm glad I'm wrong though because that would suck.

I think after the first appearance it might be a low RNG number thing. I got the Sword from the 8Bit Link like day 1 and used it until it broke. I have yet to get it again and I'd even save scummed trying to get it back and it still hasn't dropped.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I've gotta say, I love just about everything in this game but the motion control stuff in the shrines is more of a pain in the rear end than it is an actual puzzle.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That marble maze one is a nightmare. I don't know if there are more of those. The rest of them that I've done were forgiving enough I was able to say good riddance to them in a few seconds.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Marble maze: rotating 180 just drops the ball right in the exit corridor...or, flip the thing upside down!. There's one involving getting three balls into slots that is even worse. I must have missed something in that puzzle because I was tilting my Wii U pad for a good twenty minutes.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

What the gently caress does "GOTY bait" mean?
Like does enjoyment of one diminish the other?

I'm not the original guy, but in the context of Oscar Bait, I could see it. If you boil it down and take out its magic, Horizon is basically just a stew of AAA systems and mechanics.

f#a# fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 31, 2017

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

veni veni veni posted:

That marble maze one is a nightmare. I don't know if there are more of those. The rest of them that I've done were forgiving enough I was able to say good riddance to them in a few seconds.

I just got done with the Toto Sah shrine (south of the dueling peaks stable) and it's just not fun at all. I knew exactly what needed to be done but flipping my gamepad around being more difficult than solving a puzzle was not really great.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

veni veni veni posted:

Flip the whole maze and paddle ball that poo poo to the goal.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

s.i.r.e. posted:

Flip the whole maze and paddle ball that poo poo to the goal.

Learning to physics paddle balls into holes will help you later too!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The hardest motion control thing I ran into was one where you have to guide 3 marbles into holes simultaneously. I kept coming so close and then one ball slide out while another went in. It drove me nuts. Eventually I just flailed my controller in frustration after resetting the puzzle and that solved it :regd09:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The worst part of marble maze was not the maze, it was if you attempted to use the motion controls to launch the ball onto the next ledge. Those were the only type of motion control shrines that were straight up :sigh:

Internet Kraken posted:

The hardest motion control thing I ran into was one where you have to guide 3 marbles into holes simultaneously. I kept coming so close and then one ball slide out while another went in. It drove me nuts. Eventually I just flailed my controller in frustration after resetting the puzzle and that solved it :regd09:
Yeah, even though I got that one done in less than a minute (I expect luck as much as anything), I could just tell it would be murder for some people.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Mar 31, 2017

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Horizon Zero Dawn isn't even going to be PS4 GOTY. It looks like that is going to go to Persona 5.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Internet Kraken posted:

The problem I kept running into was that the balls would get stuck on the lip of the notch they were supposed to wind up in.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn isn't even going to be PS4 GOTY. It looks like that is going to go to Persona 5.

This. Also I'll probably pick up Horizon when it's in the bargain bin around the Holidays and everyone has forgotten about it.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Section Z posted:

The worst part of marble maze was not the maze, it was if you attempted to use the motion controls to launch the ball onto the next ledge. Those were the only type of motion control shrines that were straight up :sigh:

Yea even after I gave up on the maze and flipped it, the lack of depth perception still made it hard to get the ball from the motion piece to the ledge. Otherwise I didn't have an issue with any of the other motion control shrines, but I seem to be lucky in not finding the "get 3 balls in holes simultaneously" shrine.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The motion controlled ball shrines have some odd physics. If you're slow and careful you are good, but taking your time and doing the maze legit and then screwing up the jump at the end would be awful.

I may just be bad at it.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Internet Kraken posted:

That one has been the easiest for me somehow. I restarted after beating the 4 beasts because I felt like I rushed it without exploring and am on my first real complete playthrough. I got those marbles in place both times in like 30 seconds each. If I hadn't cheesed the maze it would have annoyed me more just by the simple fact that if you screw up you go back to the beginning. Like, at least let you restart midway.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

the motion control shrines I didn't like. most of the time it had me getting up and spinning around. you can't do that while on a plane!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
If you want to "Cheat" the maze but still have the maze. Pop your ball out of it's starting position with some sick tablet waggle into the final lane.

This also gives you some guard rails so you have slightly less to worry about if you are trying to launch the ball via tablet. The admittedly cool good fun advice of "Just flip it over and use the flat side!" also means you are at the mercy of sideways motion much more.

If you can't manage the tablet toss using the flat underside trick (and don't want to use stasis launches instead), you may honestly have better luck using the maze to your advantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Looks like we've got a video comparison of the framerate improvements between v1.1.0 and v1.1.1 (the new patch).

Warning, possible spoilers for graphically dense locations, but there's nothing very revealing in the video itself from what I could see. Still, stop about a minute and a half in if you want to avoid them entirely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRUFzGvngYk