Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

fruit on the bottom posted:

I am going to go through that book, circle every example of passive voice, every split infinitive, and every preposition he ended a sentence with and place it on his loving grave.

English isn't Latin!!!

Um, don't you mean every preposition with which he ended a sentence?

heh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
On that topic. it's perfectly fine to end a sentence with a preposition. It's fine. The idea that you can't was made up by a single English dude in like the 1800s for no good reason. All it does is give lovely pedants another opportunity to be lovely and pedantic

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's just a good guideline. Unless you're Derrida or something you should stick to the rules.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

It's just a good guideline. Unless you're Derrida or something you should stick to the rules.

No, it's not a good guideline, It's a bad guideline. It's a stupid guideline. If you actually followed it, you'd talk like a fuckin ren fair weirdo. Here's an example from the internet.

any normal human being posted:

The dress had not even been paid for.

Mu Zeta posted:

Paid for the dress had not even been.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Guy Goodbody posted:

On that topic. it's perfectly fine to end a sentence with a preposition. It's fine. The idea that you can't was made up by a single English dude in like the 1800s for no good reason. All it does is give lovely pedants another opportunity to be lovely and pedantic

It actually wasn't just "made up," believe it or not. If memory serves that is in fact a rule in Latin and Romance languages. English is a Germanic language that is influenced by Latin. Since in the 19th century all the cool kids wanted to be Romance languages a dude decided that the "rules" of English should be Romance rather than Germanic and that just happened to be one of the rules stapled on. English is a bizarre language that is influenced by four different languages groups so its rules are weird but its core is still Germanic.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The rules of English have changed since I was an elementary student in the 90's. Lemme tell all y'all about commas and the possessive form of "it"...

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Das Boo posted:

The rules of English have changed since I was an elementary student in the 90's. Lemme tell all y'all about commas and the possessive form of "it"...

When I was in school we'd get points off for writing "they" to refer to a singular person, even though it was common in spoken language by then. If you didn't know the gender it was supposed to be "he or she" or once I was in junior high "s/he."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Solice Kirsk posted:

When I was in school we'd get points off for writing "they" to refer to a singular person, even though it was common in spoken language by then.
It's been common and widely accepted for literally centuries, but there have always been people trying to force their arbitrary rules on everyone.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Solice Kirsk posted:

When I was in school we'd get points off for writing "they" to refer to a singular person, even though it was common in spoken language by then. If you didn't know the gender it was supposed to be "he or she" or once I was in junior high "s/he."

God, I hated "he or she." It broke up the flow of writing hideously. I fought to just use "he" and argued that if "man" could be used as a sexless, general term for "humankind," there's no drat reason I can't use "he" the same way. I think I mighta been an rear end in a top hat student.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

No, it's not a good guideline, It's a bad guideline. It's a stupid guideline. If you actually followed it, you'd talk like a fuckin ren fair weirdo. Here's an example from the internet.

The price of the dress had not even been paid.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Fister Roboto posted:

The price of the dress had not even been paid.

That still sounds awkward and terrible.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
"The dress had not (yet?) been purchased."

Sometimes I actually speak with this way. Maybe too often.

Definitely too often.

burial has a new favorite as of 07:00 on Mar 31, 2017

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

It's just a good guideline.

No it's not.

e: Actually, sorry, your post was fine for this thread.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It actually wasn't just "made up," believe it or not. If memory serves that is in fact a rule in Latin and Romance languages. English is a Germanic language that is influenced by Latin. Since in the 19th century all the cool kids wanted to be Romance languages a dude decided that the "rules" of English should be Romance rather than Germanic and that just happened to be one of the rules stapled on. English is a bizarre language that is influenced by four different languages groups so its rules are weird but its core is still Germanic.

"It wasn't just made up" *goes on to explain how it was just made up*

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Religious belief is genuinely a virus. Like Herpes or Shingles
In many people its benign and occasionally bothersome, but in others it can cause serious damage and discomfort. The difference is the damage and discomfort effecrs people around them insteas or just themselves.

Like Herpes and shingles, the world would be far better off withoit religious belief. It can get on along with it, but the health and happiness of humanity is vastly increased without it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Jastiger posted:

Religious belief is genuinely a virus. Like Herpes or Shingles
In many people its benign and occasionally bothersome, but in others it can cause serious damage and discomfort. The difference is the damage and discomfort effecrs people around them insteas or just themselves.

Like Herpes and shingles, the world would be far better off withoit religious belief. It can get on along with it, but the health and happiness of humanity is vastly increased without it.

Get some new material.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Get some new material.

I would but motherfuckers keep reinforcing this fact with their retarded bullshit like defunding planned parenthood or making up new reasons why their belief is somehow more respectable than other stupid poo poo like scientology or that Obama isnt an American. Its all the same toxic strain of credulity and its causing serious loving harm to the fabric of society.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wouldn't necessarily day religion is the root cause of the poo poo

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jastiger posted:

I would but motherfuckers keep reinforcing this fact with their retarded bullshit like defunding planned parenthood or making up new reasons why their belief is somehow more respectable than other stupid poo poo like scientology or that Obama isnt an American. Its all the same toxic strain of credulity and its causing serious loving harm to the fabric of society.

Read defunding as defending and wondered if you were having a stroke at first.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Isn't there recent research to support that humans are generally hard-wired for belief in the supernatural? I'm sure I read about it in a non-crazy popular science magazine a few years ago.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I always just figured religion was early humans attampt at science

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

free basket of chips posted:

I always just figured religion was early humans attampt at science

You're conflating belief and religion but seems reasonable.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Religion makes perfect sense as a primitive way of setting social norms and simplistic morality. But its 2017. We have grown out of the need to use our fear of darkness to cause suffering in others.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

If people didn't have religion as an excuse they'd find another reason, no worries.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
Religious or not, mob mentality is dangerous. Large-scale organization dealing with matters of ethics in any way are potentially, extremely dangerous, because they easily promote mob mentality. Authoritarian thought is dangerous because it promotes mob mentality. Singling out religious thought as a root evil, rather than simply mob mentality, feels like missing the mark completely imo.

There is nothing wrong with religious thought in itself. People need to be part communities that deal with both the spiritual and the ethical, and there is no way to organize that without needing to be aware of the dangers of mob mentality and authoritarian thought, whether within political parties, the state, religious communities, NGOs or whatever. That religious communities or any communities dealing with matters of ethics and spirituality can, will or should be phased out because of some kind of nebulous concept of what progressis , is ridiculous.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Grandmother of Five posted:

People need to be part communities that deal with both the spiritual and the ethical

Why?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

to enforce conformity and perpetuate old bullshit

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Hot Smart ARYAN Girl posted:

to enforce conformity and perpetuate old bullshit

Exactly. This is elevating superstition to some kind of special place.

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

if you gave me a choice between a christian who believed jesus was bang on about that whole camel and eye of the needle scenario vs some 'rational' atheist capitalist, i know who'd i'd be hanging out with

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Because humans are social beings, and being part of a multitude of communities and society at large isn't optional. Building communities and relationships, and infusing them with personal meaning is in the nature of man.

It is good to be critical of any community you're part of, of course, but singling out religious communities just strikes me as arbitrary. I might feel different if I didn't live somewhere, where nearly 80% of the population belongs to a relatively liberal, Lutheran denomination which encompasses the possibility of sanctifying same-sex marriages and does not advocate against women's right to abortion.

From my perspective, the communities I see as dangerous here, are less founded in religious thought, than in political ideology.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Breakfast Burrito posted:

if you gave me a choice between a christian who believed jesus was bang on about that whole camel and eye of the needle scenario vs some 'rational' atheist capitalist, i know who'd i'd be hanging out with

They cover the teachings of Jesus every second Sunday, the rest of the time they cover how shady Mormons and Jews are and how God punishes sluts

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Hot Smart ARYAN Girl posted:

They cover the teachings of Jesus every second Sunday, the rest of the time they cover how shady Mormons and Jews are and how God punishes sluts

Hang out with better Christians.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

The last few years have been really instructive for me in how atheists can go in for all the same levels of lovely ideologies fundamentalists do.

And in big sweeping groups, not just one or two bad actors.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Same here. Hardcore christians might not be the most fun to go out drinking with but at least they go outside and know how to talk about things aside from how smart they are while making me sit in their cat-infested apartment watching richard dawkins youtubes.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

Hang out with better Christians.

white whales

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Same here. Hardcore christians might not be the most fun to go out drinking with but at least they go outside and know how to talk about things aside from how smart they are while making me sit in their cat-infested apartment watching richard dawkins youtubes.

stdh

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

i admit did that, but I have apologized already, christ why can't you stop bringing it up all the time

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

It only happened once and it was a mix of Dorkins plus other religion redpill poo poo, but it was a somewhat exaggerated description of the typical experience. Atheists are far more likely in general though to drag people into super serious discussions of morality and ethics and politics and the evils of religion when I just want to relax and hang out. That was the larger point I was getting at.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Curse those atheists for being culturally, politically, and socially aware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Right wing Christian wing nuts are also very aware.