Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Well the Mon Cal cruisers were originally designed as cruise ships, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Imagined posted:

Yeah, but Rogue One takes place before Ackbar brought the Home One into the rebel fleet. Raddus uses an older MC-75, which is even worse than the MC-80 cruisers used at Endor.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
GBH aspect ratio changes aren't subtle at all lol

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Escobarbarian posted:

They might be if you watched Transformers 4 right before it, because that movie was edited with zero fucks about differences in ratios between scenes.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Imagined posted:

At least one was designed as an underwater building that was secretly a spaceship

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

rydiafan posted:

The one thing I desperately hope we eventually get in a Star Wars film is one capital ship destroying another capital ship with a broadsides. In all eight film so far every capital ship that has been destroyed has done so through strange circumstances, or a Death Star laser.

You do see a few Star Destroyers get blown to hell in the background of the Endor battle (most notably right when Ackbar's telling everyone to kill the Executor) but you're largely correct and I have no idea why I never noticed this before.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Escobarbarian posted:

When most films stick to a single ratio, it can mess with you. The significant part is that each ratio reflects the time period they are used in.

Not exactly a subtle thing but a bit of film prop history. There is only one working tiger tank in the world, tiger 131. For decades, films representing tiger tanks had to make do with mock ups or just not care. The 1969 Yugoslavia partisan film Battle of Nerevta featured tiger tanks built from the chassis of a Russian T34 tank gussied up to look German. The next year Kelly's heroes was shot in Yugoslavia, and the same mock ups were used during the climactic town fight.
These tanks continued to get used for decades. The Tigers used in saving private Ryan and band of brothers are the same mock ups.

Arc Hammer has a new favorite as of 20:32 on Mar 31, 2017

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

That's pretty amazing

So are they pure CGI or just newer physical props now? Like for instance in Fury or idk, any western front WW2 movie since Saving Privat Ryan

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Powaqoatse posted:

That's pretty amazing

So are they pure CGI or just newer physical props now? Like for instance in Fury or idk, any western front WW2 movie since Saving Privat Ryan

Tiger 131 was used in Fury, and it was a big selling point for the film that they got genuine vehicles for the battle scenes.
As far as I know, the Yugoslavia T34 tigers still get used from time to time, particularly in eastern European war films.
I do know the Russian film Stalingrad used cgi tiger tanks.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Whaat, the early 1990s Stalingrad? oh wait that was German.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Powaqoatse posted:

Whaat, the early 1990s Stalingrad? oh wait that was German.

Three Stalingrad films (German Stalingrad, Russian Stalingrad and Enemy at the Gates), and only one of them is genuinely good. The German one.

The quickest way to identify the prop Tigers is to see how narrow their frame is. A real tiger tank is about 1/3rd wider than a T-34 chassis.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Tiger 131 was used in Fury, and it was a big selling point for the film that they got genuine vehicles for the battle scenes.
As far as I know, the Yugoslavia T34 tigers still get used from time to time, particularly in eastern European war films.
I do know the Russian film Stalingrad used cgi tiger tanks.

I think the original one used in Fury posed a few problems, too. Like several of the later German tank designs, it had a terribly overburdened and fragile transmission, which was probably not helped by its age. So they were strictly limited to only driving either forwards or backwards, but weren't allowed any turns. :v:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Perestroika posted:

I think the original one used in Fury posed a few problems, too. Like several of the later German tank designs, it had a terribly overburdened and fragile transmission, which was probably not helped by its age. So they were strictly limited to only driving either forwards or backwards, but weren't allowed any turns. :v:

It was fixed a little bit by having a stronger tiger 2 engine installed in the tank, but yeah, that movie did a number on the vehicles involved. There's a reason the Bovington tank museum only drives tiger 131 on parade routes on flat ground, otherwise they would kill it's internals.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Enemy at the Gates has its moments, at least for me, but I'm a sucker for Ed Harris & Rachel Weisz.

But yeah, the German 1993 Stalingrad is amazing. Horrible, and amazing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Powaqoatse posted:

Enemy at the Gates has its moments, at least for me, but I'm a sucker for Ed Harris & Rachel Weisz.

But yeah, the German 1993 Stalingrad is amazing. Horrible, and amazing.

The actual sniper scenes are great and very tense. Its just everything involving the bigger picture of the Russians and Germans is awful stereotyping.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Arcsquad12 posted:

The actual sniper scenes are great and very tense. Its just everything involving the bigger picture of the Russians and Germans is awful stereotyping.

Oh yeah for sure. Like most big blockbuster attempt movies, everything's painted with the biggest brush you can find. Any subtlety present is probably a subversive insertion by cast & crew.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Is this trailer representative of the film, because it didn't make me want to see the it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QlK-l-vpZQ

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gromit posted:

Is this trailer representative of the film, because it didn't make me want to see the it.

Well, the final film doesn't have Optimus Prime narrating it.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Kelly's heroes

AKA The Best Movie

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Gromit posted:

Oh wow. That trailer is pure 90s trash with the "In a world they didnt" ugh

No, that trailer is not representative at all.

this seems to be an updated trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN6bfVJmhbc

"they thought they were the best soldiers; then came the slaughterhouse of Stalingrad they lose everything: friends, belief, will to live."

its dark and horrible.

Thomas Kretschmann's breakout role I assume

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

It was fixed a little bit by having a stronger tiger 2 engine installed in the tank, but yeah, that movie did a number on the vehicles involved. There's a reason the Bovington tank museum only drives tiger 131 on parade routes on flat ground, otherwise they would kill it's internals.

Incidentally, if you haven't been to Bovington you should. Take a plane if you have to. Swim if you have to.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Gromit posted:

The film is both amazing and terrifying. I haven't seen it since I was a kid, but it sticks with you. The book "Stalingrad" by Antony Beevor is worth reading. Lots of personal accounts.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
Saw Falling Down today, funniest scene of the movie is when Dfense gets shot, he squeezes the water gun just before falling into the water. It even makes a little squeek sound!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Fifth Element has a ton of little visual details that are great. All the cigarettes in the film have gigantic filters on them to make people cut back on smoking. And after binging this thread I noticed more details, like the pervy scientist's dandruff in the UV light near the start.

In Galaxy Quest, the scene where Jason is sent back to Earth changes the film's aspect ratio from tv letterbox to widescreen, showing the film's transition from their cheap tv budget to real life, quite literally expanding Jason's perspective of the universe.

Arc Hammer has a new favorite as of 04:08 on Apr 10, 2017

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Late in The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou there's a scene where Ned (Owen Wilson) is trying to convince Steve (Bill Murray) to do something by doing a callback to an earlier scene when they did the whole team puts their hands on top of each other bonding thing. When they do it again way in the background of the shot, blurry and out of focus is Klaus (Willem Dafeo) doing it too. Klaus spends the whole movie jealous of Ned because Ned is maybe Steve's son and Klaus, who views Steve as a father figure, feels like he is losing Steve's affection.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Nobody ever mentions Furiosa's arm in Fury Road.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

rydiafan posted:

I like when the people eater plays with his nipple piercings.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've just ordered Reefer Madness: The Musical online as I liked what I've seen of the songs, but haven't ever seen the whole thing outside of Paw's review of it. I quite like how they take the old stereotypes of druggies/dealers (Jack The Pushy Dealer, his wife the Dependant, Sally the Whore, and the Tweaker) and then expand upon it in amusing ways, like during the reprise of "The Stuff" where Jack's wife finally has enough of him after the death of the other two and she murders him with a garden hoe. Also the fact that in the song "Murder", the propagandist politician has all the parents literally baying for blood, where earlier they are yelling at the screen trying to stop Jimmy smoking weed, all of a sudden when Jack's fighting the Tweaker they change their tunes and start rooting for Jack without realising it, calling for him to "Murder him, Murder him!" as part of the chorus. Between that and the initial song calling their children Hooligans and Whores, the propagandist has successfully made an entire generation of parents terrified of their own children. Looking forward to the DVD arriving so that I can see this imagery more in context and see how things turn out (besides badly for everyone :P)

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Arya's a lefty, which she is in the books too. After a cursory googling, apparently Masie Williams isn't, so it was definitely a choice.

Incidentally being a lefty would be a pretty big advantage for a sword fighter. Like a left-handed pitcher your opponents aren't used to it.

deoju has a new favorite as of 05:57 on Apr 21, 2017

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

deoju posted:

Arya's a lefty, which she is in the books too. After a cursory googling, apparently Masie Williams isn't, so it was definitely a choice.

Incidentally being a lefty would be a pretty big advantage for a sword fighter. Like a left-handed pitcher your opponents aren't used to it.

As a lefty who fenced all through middle and high school: can confirm. I had an enormous advantage over most of the people I faced. As soon as I faced another southpaw, though, we both started sucking hard.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

deoju posted:

True, but most men wouldn't have too much trouble fighting a 13 year old girl. Even if she was left handed. Honestly, I think that's where the book and the show do a great job. Arya isn't gonna stand toe-to-toe with any decent fighters, but her various mentors and experiences will carry her past most problems.

She's still gonna die with Needle in her hand though. Otherwise all that one foreshadowing line the first book would be wasted. Also still waiting for Tyrion to kick out another bad rear end flip.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

In Tremors, noted firearms enthusiast Burt hands a character an unloaded gun. Later, when the unloaded gun is handed back to him he checks the cylinder to confirm the gun is still unloaded even though there's zero chance the gun was loaded.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Nth Doctor posted:

As a lefty who fenced all through middle and high school: can confirm. I had an enormous advantage over most of the people I faced. As soon as I faced another southpaw, though, we both started sucking hard.
Isn't the top level literally like 50-50 left and right-handed? That's what my fencer friend told me anyway.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Smiling Jack posted:

In Tremors, noted firearms enthusiast Burt hands a character an unloaded gun. Later, when the unloaded gun is handed back to him he checks the cylinder to confirm the gun is still unloaded even though there's zero chance the gun was loaded.

A true gun enthusiast.
You always assume a gun is loaded, even when you just disassembled, cleaned and reassembled it. Always. No exceptions.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Isn't the top level literally like 50-50 left and right-handed? That's what my fencer friend told me anyway.

There was a point in time not long ago when half of the UFC champions were left handed, so that makes sense.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

rydiafan posted:

What about it? its not exactly subtle that she has a mechanical arm. When she first fights Max she doesn't have it on because it's hanging of the truck's mirror and later there's a bit when she's holding on to Max and gets shanked through the strapping causing her to drop him

Arcsquad12 posted:

I like when the people eater plays with his nipple piercings.

This though lol also the Bullit Farmer uses bullets for false teeth

Another one that I've been meaning to post for a while from Star Wars Force Awakens. When the gang land at Maz's place and Finn is talking to Han about making sure its safe to be there what with him being a "rebel" and all, Han says he has a bigger problem about women always finding out the truth as he hands him a classic Stormtrooper blaster.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dragonstoned posted:

What about it? its not exactly subtle that she has a mechanical arm. When she first fights Max she doesn't have it on because it's hanging of the truck's mirror and later there's a bit when she's holding on to Max and gets shanked through the strapping causing her to drop him

no that's the point

nobody in the movie ever brings up her arm

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Also there's a skeletal arm painted on the door of the War Rig where here arm would normally rest.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Inzombiac posted:

A true gun enthusiast.
You always assume a gun is loaded, even when you just disassembled, cleaned and reassembled it. Always. No exceptions.

I'm pathological about this myself which is why I noticed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah it's just "cybernetic arm so what". Shows how much different the idea of "normal" in post apocalypse New South Wales is from what we expect today.