Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

Here, the police have cameras watching the main approach roads to the cities. It recognises the truck license plates and records the time.

Checkmate :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Dienes posted:

I really, really want to know what that looked like healed up.

Probably like an irregularly shaped burn scar? If you "print" on the outermost layer of skin, that would fall off. Tattoos are done in the dermis as opposed to the epidermis for this very reason. Burns to the epidermis are also crazy prone to infection, which means he might end up with a really ugly burn scar and also possibly sepsis.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

dsf posted:

At the truck shop I work at we get lots of calls to "fix" these computer log systems for one of our main customers. 90% of the time the issue is due to the CPU mysteriously unplugging itself.

I'm in charge of getting ELDs implemented for our company and we see the lot of the same.

Also a couple of notes on electronic logging:

•Per the ELD (Electronic Logging Device) mandate every driver must have a unique unshared ID which displays their name. At a traffic stop officers will be comparing that with the driver's ID, and are empowered to place the driver OOS or arrest if there is a mismatch. So "using someone else's ID" is a bad idea. Back office edits are highlighted and tied to the userID who made the change, and the driver will be required to approve changes. Drivers are no longer allowed to have admin access, allowing them to make changes after the fact.

•All drivers currently required to maintain RODS (over 100 air miles [or 115.08 land miles] etc) will be required to elog with the exception of drivers of vehicles made before 2000, or tow operators.

•Nobody in the industry knows how temp/rental trucks will be compliant, since there are hundreds of separate ELD manufacturers operating with different communication standards. The ELD must have a physical link the the vehicle's ECU. This is a problem that Penske and Ryder are working to resolve ASAP.

•Non-exempt drivers in newer vehicles will be allowed to log on paper for a maximum of 8 days in a 30 day period, and only if the ELD is visibly out of service. At this time 3rd party vendors are averaging 2+ weeks turnaround in getting the devices fixed, and this will probably increase as the December 18th ELD mandate gets closer and carriers come to realize that the on-board computers in their trucks have been used to hold lunchboxes for the last 2 years and 1/3 of their fleets' ELDs are out of service.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Nenonen posted:

:ussr: DRILL DEVOCHKA DRILL :ussr:

some of these show people die in terrible ways so be warned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx36cQWa210

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soEAejzu6Lw

:nms: from the very beginning :nms: but the reactions of the work mates are quite something :stare:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D48AO4diDTw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymoCr8q1t4A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6bZOyinZwQ

:stare: Jesus, how bad are their drilling rigs that the snatch block failure is the most common failure.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Is that what that is? I was going to ask why most of them involved what looked like a crane collapse.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

CommieGIR posted:

:stare: Jesus, how bad are their drilling rigs that the snatch block failure is the most common failure.

Still not as bad as Chinese mine safety.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I85 collapse unmasked: STAIRS AREN'T STORAGE.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

The Hume Highway run between Melbourne and Sydney, the busiest truck hauling route in the country, has frames over the top with cameras that read signs on the top of the truck. They log distance travelled as well as elapsed time between points for average speed.

shame on an IGA posted:

I thought those were barrels of something for a second.

Memento fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 31, 2017

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Late to finger chat but one of my cousins put his hand through a bandsaw, cutting off all five digits. I'm fuzzy on the details but they couldn't save the thumb so they replaced that with his index finger, put the others back and they all seem to work pretty good now.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Memento posted:

The Hume Highway run between Melbourne and Sydney, the busiest truck hauling route in the country, has frames over the top with cameras that read signs on the top of the truck. They log distance travelled as well as elapsed time between points for average speed.

In alberta all we have here are plate readers on 3 of the major highways right outside of scale houses that are always open anyways. https://goo.gl/maps/cMAt6FZ2rGH2, and they only get the front plate.

In the mid-size scales i don't think they even had plate readers. There are no speed cameras outside of towns/cities. The speed limit for trucks is the same 110kph posted, keep up with traffic practical limits. Some private oilfield roads had truck-specific limits, but they were often higher than you're capable of going on them anyways, roads so narrow you have to call out your mileage and direction so you don't meet other trucks on a bend, made of mud, ice, washboard, or hilarious combinations thereof.

Unless you do something monumentally stupid, it's almost hard to even get noticed.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nice piece of fish posted:

a really ugly burn scar and also possibly sepsis.

So just another Friday night in Russia, then?

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Lemon posted:

Late to finger chat but one of my cousins put his hand through a bandsaw, cutting off all five digits.

:(

suuma fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 1, 2017

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Memento posted:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

wow, there's a blast from the past.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sagebrush posted:

wow, there's a blast from the past.

I wanted to re-read the comic recently but the site is broken and doesn't nav properly so I can't and I'm sad :(

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

shame on an IGA posted:

Government is just another name for the flammable materials we store under major highway bridges together.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Phanatic posted:

Government is just another name for the flammable materials we store under major highway bridges together.

Despite the mention of PVC in the press HDPE is the preferred material for buried fiber conduit so giant stacks of ventilated long-chain hydrocarbons definitely jives with what we saw yesterday

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I wanted to re-read the comic recently but the site is broken and doesn't nav properly so I can't and I'm sad :(

hlcomic.com is busted, but http://www.screencuisine.net/hlcomic/index.php?date=2005-05-01 works fine

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

2005. So long ago.

The interval between the present day and the release of Half‐Life 2: Episode 2 is greater than the interval between Ep. 2 and the original Half‐Life.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The true OSHA violation was not keeping the proper website in order. Thanks pal, time for a nostalgia trip. :respek:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Lemon posted:

Late to finger chat but one of my cousins put his hand through a bandsaw, cutting off all five digits. I'm fuzzy on the details but they couldn't save the thumb so they replaced that with his index finger, put the others back and they all seem to work pretty good now.

My dad was once working on a conveyor belt when the guy who was helping him accidentally leaned on the end of it, pulling the belt and rotating the chain my dad's hand was in, cutting off two fingers and chewing another two pretty badly on the sprocket. His mate saw all the blood and promptly fainted, so my dad phoned the ambulance and took the rest of the drive system apart to retrieve his fingers while he waited.

Amazingly they manged to reattach and repair them so apart from some numbness and minor loss of motion (and some awesome scars) he was fine afterwards. Oh yeah, the thing he was working on? The emergency stop on the belt system kept triggering so he'd decided to remove it. He never did understand why I laughed at that bit of the story...

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

In a "manure* processing plant" next to a village in Belgium, a nitric acid storage tank got breached.

* Not sure if I should translate the word as manure or fertilizer.

The only good thing about nitric acid is that the cloud is exactly as toxic and dangerous as it looks.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Carbon dioxide posted:

Probably the latter unless you're talking actual animal poo poo.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Platystemon posted:

2005. So long ago.

The interval between the present day and the release of Half‐Life 2: Episode 2 is greater than the interval between Ep. 2 and the original Half‐Life.

leaving lobotomized corpses lying around HAS to be against some OSHA regulation...

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Probably the latter unless you're talking actual animal poo poo.

In Dutch you're either talking about 'manure' or 'artificial manure'. So when they leave the word artificial out, like they did in the news article, there's no way to be sure what they mean.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Carbon dioxide posted:

In Dutch you're either talking about 'manure' or 'artificial manure'. So when they leave the word artificial out, like they did in the news article, there's no way to be sure what they mean.

My reading of it was manure.

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School
:itwaspoo:

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I had a PT cable pop its anchor two feet away from my face the other day and now I'm really disappointed that there's no crazy PT cable failure videos on youtube.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kp9SfKAxJA

It did this except, y'know, I wasn't trying to stress it at a 30 degree angle.

Nerses IV fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 1, 2017

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

Carbon dioxide posted:

In a "manure* processing plant" next to a village in Belgium, a nitric acid storage tank got breached.

The only good thing about nitric acid is that the cloud is exactly as toxic and dangerous as it looks.

Where in Belgium was this? o_O

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Jesus Christ posted:

Where in Belgium was this? o_O

All the way out west in a place called Gistel. I'm not sure if the residents are allowed to return to their houses yet after the evacuation.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

This feels like a good time to plug Command and Control to anyone who hasn't read it yet. Being clearly shown nuclear weapons and the complex around them as a collection of falliable machinery, processes and systems all built by average mortals is deeply sobering.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

shame on an IGA posted:

This feels like a good time to plug Command and Control to anyone who hasn't read it yet. Being clearly shown nuclear weapons and the complex around them as a collection of falliable machinery, processes and systems all built by average mortals is deeply sobering.

I just finished reading it a few days ago and I agree 100%. It's a fascinating book and has incredibly detailed references if you want to chase down any of the stories further.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
The book was indeed great. Having loved the book, I was less than impressed with the recently-released eponymous documentary. I think the main story of the book works better and is more suspenseful as it was written than it was on the screen.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Powershift posted:

Imagine what you could achieve with that kind of efficiency. knock your work week out in 2 days and have 5 days free to sit around and do drugs.

ha, like your boss wouldnt immediately quadruple your workload to take advantage of your efficiency

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

ha, like your boss wouldnt immediately quadruple your workload to take advantage of your efficiency

And then make you a salaried employee because it's "more prestigious"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

The only good thing about nitric acid is that my butt is exactly as toxic and dangerous as it looks.

this is why I keep the cloud-to-butt extension installed

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Sagebrush posted:

this is why I keep the cloud-to-butt extension installed

I googled, and this is apparently a real thing

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/cloud-to-butt-plus/apmlngnhgbnjpajelfkmabhkfapgnoai?hl=en

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

I'd make a joke about groverhaus, but there aren't enough wall sockets in evidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Remove hinges, rehang door. Steps 1 and 2 of the post-install toilet reactivation process.