Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Mak0rz posted:

Far as I can tell I'm the only person that cares about this but color depth changing with distance and light levels is one thing I really miss about software renderers.

I'm weirdly nostalgic for old software rendering bugs and limitations. Unreal Tournament 99 had a strange one where actor models weren't depth tested against texture masks, so you'd have things like weapon pickups showing in-front of cages when actually behind them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
There's a new version of Coolsoft VirtualMidiSynth out. It's now 64-bit native, so soundfonts load much faster. There used to be a tiny bit of lag before each Doom level, but that's gone now. Grab it!

http://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/virtualmidisynth#download

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Commander Keenan posted:

There's a new version of Coolsoft VirtualMidiSynth out. It's now 64-bit native, so soundfonts load much faster. There used to be a tiny bit of lag before each Doom level, but that's gone now. Grab it!

http://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/virtualmidisynth#download

Cool, thanks!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
So I tried the old Sticky Gals (now Hate Busters) mod for Doom that people mentioned earlier in the thread, to test out a soundfont in VMS, and... :stare:

Something about that mod made me even more uncomfortable than HDoom. I mean, at least HDoom admits that it's a creepy sex mod, Sticky Gals feels like a covert fetish mod. Like it's really cutesy on the surface but there's something unsavory about it, and I can't quite put my finger on it. Some of the stick figures have big bellies, some of them are buff shirtless dudes, all of them make the same weird squeal when you defeat them and they all drop to their knees with smiles on their faces. Your character on the loading screens has a crop top with a fat belly sticking out... it's all just really loving weird and I don't think I like it.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Never really gave a gently caress about it. I think it's a fun mod.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

So I tried the old Sticky Gals (now Hate Busters) mod for Doom that people mentioned earlier in the thread, to test out a soundfont in VMS, and... :stare:

Something about that mod made me even more uncomfortable than HDoom. I mean, at least HDoom admits that it's a creepy sex mod, Sticky Gals feels like a covert fetish mod. Like it's really cutesy on the surface but there's something unsavory about it, and I can't quite put my finger on it. Some of the stick figures have big bellies, some of them are buff shirtless dudes, all of them make the same weird squeal when you defeat them and they all drop to their knees with smiles on their faces. Your character on the loading screens has a crop top with a fat belly sticking out... it's all just really loving weird and I don't think I like it.
Now, there's a funny story about that...

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I like the particle effects I guess? :shrug:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Rocket Pan posted:

I'm weirdly nostalgic for old software rendering bugs and limitations. Unreal Tournament 99 had a strange one where actor models weren't depth tested against texture masks, so you'd have things like weapon pickups showing in-front of cages when actually behind them.

It's less about being nostalgic for rendering limitations and more that it ends up being a neat effect. Ability to resolve colors is reduced in darkness, just like real life!

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
Anyone know how to reduce screen tearing on eduke32? I don't have the polymer stuff turned on.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Kins posted:

Now, there's a funny story about that...

Agitated Bellymen, I assume

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
This is a bit of an odd problem, does anyone know if you can configure Project Brutality to use Brutal Doom's blood sprites? The PB ones just look too fine, like I've just used the spray can in MSPaint.

Project Brutality

Brutal Doom

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

joedevola posted:

Anyone know how to reduce screen tearing on eduke32? I don't have the polymer stuff turned on.

I'm not that savvy on that, but I don't get any noticeable screen tearing in eDuke, I use polymost mode, vsync off. In World Tour and some other games I get screen tearing if I have another monitor enabled, it picks 59 refresh rate, but if I only have the main monitor enabled I can pick 1080p 60hz in the menu. Also windowed mode doesn't have screen tearing. Could also try an older version of eDuke just in case, 5775 is a good one I think. The latest dev build 6089 also runs fine for me.

And a random note if you don't already, always good to limit the FPS in eduke32 and GZDoom, even if it's something high like 200. There's a menu option for that in the recent eDuke32 versions also.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 29, 2017

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/QuakeChampions/status/847464899617763329

https://twitter.com/QuakeChampions/status/847465868812369920

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Kinsie, how the hell do you keep finding this poo poo

Also does that mouse injector work for vanilla Goldeneye 007? I was under the impression from the last video that it only worked for Perfect Dark.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Shadow Hog posted:

Also does that mouse injector work for vanilla Goldeneye 007? I was under the impression from the last video that it only worked for Perfect Dark.

I played Goldeneye 007 with it so yeah, it works.

e: Also, how do you actually use VirtualMidiSynth with eDuke32? You can't switch your MIDI device in the game at all, or outside the game, and I assume that Windows uses whatever the default is (I'm using Windows 10).

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 30, 2017

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Shadow Hog posted:

mouse injector

Where do I go for more info on this? :v:

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

King Vidiot posted:

e: Also, how do you actually use VirtualMidiSynth with eDuke32? You can't switch your MIDI device in the game at all, or outside the game, and I assume that Windows uses whatever the default is (I'm using Windows 10).

Windows 8+10 dropped the MIDImapper so download this: http://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/forum/thread/427

then you can use that to map VirtualMidiSynth as the default output

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

King Vidiot posted:

Also, how do you actually use VirtualMidiSynth with eDuke32? You can't switch your MIDI device in the game at all, or outside the game, and I assume that Windows uses whatever the default is (I'm using Windows 10).
You'll need some software that lets you set the default MIDI device to use for software that doesn't do it itself. VistaMIDI should work on Win7-10; alternatively, if you're using BASSMIDI as well (as I do), its configuration program has the functionality built-in as well.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Thanks! Now to tumble down the rabbit hole of madness that is obsessive soundfont trying. Have to get the perfect one that sounds great with every single old game and also every MIDI file on my computer.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

King Vidiot posted:

Thanks! Now to tumble down the rabbit hole of madness that is obsessive soundfont trying. Have to get the perfect one that sounds great with every single old game and also every MIDI file on my computer.
Speaking from my own experience, the only ones really worth using on a regular basis are Creative's 8MBGMSFX.sf2 (maybe with CT4MGM.SF2 as back-up for some additional GS patches, like Sine Wave and such) and Patch93's unofficial Roland SoundCanvas SC-55 soundfont (it's like the default Windows MIDI synth, but with actually good sound quality, and depending on your synth of choice, support for chorus/reverb - and since the SC-55 was basically the unofficial sound of DOS MIDI, it's a good angle to go for).

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

So I've got an Amiga 2000 with a 40MHz CPU and a fancy video card. That means in theory... it can play Doom!

It does, in fact, play Doom. At 2FPS. :( It shouldn't be that slow with a video card...

They un-hosed Doom 4, maybe they'll un-gently caress Quake 5.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 30, 2017

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

King Vidiot posted:

OmegaGMGS2 is quite nice: http://www.omegagmgs2.com/

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

So I've got an Amiga 2000 with a 40MHz CPU and a fancy video card. That means in theory... it can play Doom!

It does, in fact, play Doom. At 2FPS. :( It shouldn't be that slow with a video card...

They un-hosed Doom 4, maybe they'll un-gently caress Quake 5.

I heard some positive impressions on a podcast recently. As long as it isn't completely dominated by microtransactions I'll be happy!

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002
i'm wrapping up a playthrough of SiN, first one in maybe 12 years. i'm surprised how well it holds up and how sprawling it really is. even after playing the poo poo out of it 18 years ago i'm stumbling into side/alternate levels, tangent missions and inter-level interactivity i've never seen before. it's kind of impressive to me that this is something modern titles still don't really get right, but it could just be skewed perception on my part since this style of segmented level design has kind of fallen by the wayside. if anyone here hasn't played it in a while/ever, check it out.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
So decided to cancel my Bulletstorm pre-order since I had bought the game before they took it down and it honestly doesn't look like they really added anything to the game.

Also it's Gearbox so they don't deserve a full price.

Also, new GZDoom Dev script and additions are pretty cool. I can see people eventually being more creative in the future.

the nucas posted:

i'm wrapping up a playthrough of SiN, first one in maybe 12 years. i'm surprised how well it holds up and how sprawling it really is. even after playing the poo poo out of it 18 years ago i'm stumbling into side/alternate levels, tangent missions and inter-level interactivity i've never seen before. it's kind of impressive to me that this is something modern titles still don't really get right, but it could just be skewed perception on my part since this style of segmented level design has kind of fallen by the wayside. if anyone here hasn't played it in a while/ever, check it out.

Trying for a hard full playthrough of trying to find whatever secret I can find.

It gets pretty hard from the subway boss onwards like I remembered it. I always loved Duke3D and Build engine games and SiN is one of the best imitators.

Give SiN episode emergence a try too.

Uncle Kitchener fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 30, 2017

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I never did get an email from them after "signing up", huh. And yes, checked my spam folder.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

yeah same, I even signed up again a couple weeks later as I wasn't sure if it went through the first time, no email confirm

oh well, looking forward to trying it eventually

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

Xenaero posted:

I never did get an email from them after "signing up", huh. And yes, checked my spam folder.

The two new emails got confirmations.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Xenaero posted:

They changed recently to send out confirmation emails. When the signups were first opened they weren't doing confirmations.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Is there a 'no footage' rule regarding these types of closed betas?

I would really like to see the game in motion.

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002
requiem: avenging angel is currently 60% off on steam if anyone is interested in that. i probably own three copies of this game now, the original, a sold-out-software dvd case and now steam.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I remember that PCGamer issue. that game looked like a lot of fun.

I think Messiah was featured in that one too.

Messiah :smith:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

the nucas posted:

requiem: avenging angel is currently 60% off on steam if anyone is interested in that. i probably own three copies of this game now, the original, a sold-out-software dvd case and now steam.

Huh, I had never heard of this game at all but I just bought it on sight because it looks pretty good. Thanks!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Is there any fanpatch like Daikatana's 1.4 for SiN? Something that gives it widescreen resolutions and all that shizzle. I own SiN on Steam since I bought Emergence (wich I really liked) but never played the original.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Guillermus posted:

Is there any fanpatch like Daikatana's 1.4 for SiN? Something that gives it widescreen resolutions and all that shizzle. I own SiN on Steam since I bought Emergence (wich I really liked) but never played the original.

http://www.wsgf.org/dr/sin/en
https://www.gog.com/forum/sin_gold/ultimate_sin_patch_fix_all_sin_problems

These are two different fan patches that accomplish about the same thing, I think. Both of them have the issue that the in-game security camera and computer console displays will be cut off at the top and bottom, but you don't strictly need to see all of either of them to play the game - as entering text where necessary still works fine.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Finally got to play Requiem again after all these years. So far, so good and the hitscan enemies are as unpredictable as ever. Sometimes, you can take very little damage and sometimes you can get absolutely destroyed from one shot even if you're +50 health.

verbal enema posted:

I remember that PCGamer issue. that game looked like a lot of fun.

I think Messiah was featured in that one too.

Messiah :smith:

Messiah's got a pretty sick soundtrack (and I'm not talking about Jasper Kyd's score), but hasn't really aged that well.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

fishmech posted:

http://www.wsgf.org/dr/sin/en
https://www.gog.com/forum/sin_gold/ultimate_sin_patch_fix_all_sin_problems

These are two different fan patches that accomplish about the same thing, I think. Both of them have the issue that the in-game security camera and computer console displays will be cut off at the top and bottom, but you don't strictly need to see all of either of them to play the game - as entering text where necessary still works fine.

That will do, thanks!

Any "before I play" advice about the game? Like don't play on hard since it's impossible and stuff like that.

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002

Guillermus posted:

That will do, thanks!

Any "before I play" advice about the game? Like don't play on hard since it's impossible and stuff like that.

i jumped right in on hard since that's my usual MO and was surprised how bad i was getting my rear end kicked on the first level, settled on medium. make sure you check enemies for their armor regularly. sin was one of the early wave games with locational damage so you can plug someone in the noggin for a quicker kill and preserve their chest and leg armor.

have fun exploring, activating stuff, shooting stuff. a great example of how the game can change is in the intro level. if you blow up the turrets attacking you, and shoot the billboard above the entry window you'll see changes carry into the next level. at a lot of points in the game you can also go off and do optional extra missions or bypass areas. there's lots of goofball secrets too. really just have a good time. it's a nice decently long game.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Guillermus posted:

That will do, thanks!

Completing secondary objectives generally makes the next levels you play slightly easier or opens up more secrets which can be very useful. For instance, when you're like halfway through the game, getting a worker's uniform/id card in an office block/lab building allows you to do the first part of the next level way easier by blending in. Some levels can be skipped entirely if you manage the right secondary objectives in previous levels. And yeah definitely don't play harder difficulties until you've first played the game through on easier difficulties. You simply won't have fun.

Oh and whenever you see a screen of some sort in a level, try to use it and try to get to a command line within the screen whenever possible, then try some dos commands like DIR to poke around for easter eggs and occasionally to circumvent some things.

Also, the Steam version has a few textures and animations changed and censored, and has a few problems with the music not playing correctly, so if you want the better experience you may want to get the GOG version or just pirate the original disc releases and then install the official patches. I think there also might be a patcher around that makes the Steam version back into the latest patched disc version, which is what the GOG release also is, but I'm not sure.

You can look at the version differences on TCRF, they list them out in great detail: https://tcrf.net/SiN/Version_Differences

Finally, don't forget that there's the Wages Of SiN expansion pack for the game, which while made by a different developer includes the same branching paths and interactivity as the main game and is pretty good in its own right. I believe the GOG version comes with the expansion pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002
ah yeah, sin had dynamic music and there's a bug where every time it switches from default to action it keeps playing faster.

i personally ran the game with this steam specific patch which restores all the removed textures, fixes some bugs including the music, and so on. to get the game running all i personally did was install the steam patch above and follow this guide on editing the executable to run at 1920x1080 natively. no external patches or wrappers or having to delete the intro movies or any other stuff.

that steam patch is one of the two big fix patches, the other one is called sin: resurrected and i wouldn't recommend it. it changes way too much stuff.

you can also use the steam guy's wages of sin fix (same link) if you want to get wages of sin running, but it will require you to copy the wages of sin pak0 in yourself. i just copied it from the gog version since i wanted to play on steam. i played WoS back when it came out and remember really hating its guts, but i'm going to give it another chance when i finish sin proper.

the nucas fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 31, 2017