Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

It's going to be even more ridiculous to re-harmonize everything again once they are ready to rejoin in 20 years or so.

We'll just have Germany buy them piece by piece and they can live with German laws and regulations. A slow blitz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Honj Steak posted:

Just checking and rewriting the tens of thousands of EU regulations into Britain's own post-EU regulatory system will take many years and will seriously impede government and bureaucracy. Tusk is right in saying that there's no need for punishment, Brexit itself is a punishment without additional political action.

This is a really glorious article about "Brexit by the numbers" - the whole thing is worth reading, but I'll C/P the big numbers here:

quote:

• 20,833 — EU laws and rules to be scrutinized
  • 12 — Mentions of the UK in the Lisbon Treaty that may have to be removed
  • 5 — Number of years Brussels big brother will be watching
  • €10 billion — Size of the EU’s big budget conundrum
  • 197,893 — Number of EU citizens who could lose rights
  • 73 — MEPs set for the chopping block
  • 359,953 — Number of financial services ‘passports’ at risk
  • 1 — Big consumer and roaming rights mess
  • 42,000,000 — Health hassles for Britons holidaying on the Continent
  • 2 — Multi-billion-euro nuclear problems caused by Brexit
  • 1 — Irish Peace agreement under the spotlight
  • 3,800 — Brits paid by the EU or receiving EU pensions
  • 0 — UK’s use of the globalization adjustment funds before the Brexit referendum

All of that and more, supposedly to be sorted out in two years.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

It's going to be even more ridiculous to re-harmonize everything again once they are ready to rejoin in 20 years or so.

The current plan is that the UK will have the exact same regulations as the EU on the day of Brexit. Their bill for this has a Henry VIII. powers clause, which gives the executive the power to write all the laws by themselves without needing everything to go through parliament.

Junior G-man posted:

You really have to stop using words like 'punish', 'hardball' etc. You pre-determine outcomes with that, and especially it allows you to create a universe where one side is 'good' or 'bad' or 'winning' or 'losing'. At the end of the day, as the end of the Politico article I posted said, there are no winners here. Everybody is now a hostage of having to play their pre-determined role in the upcoming drama (and/or farce). If you view it like that, then that mindset will help you interpret things in the next two years a lot more clearly rather than if you think in oppositional terms or some kind of mercantilist attitude to trade deals.

As Cerebral Bore said, this isn't about screwing anyone over, it's about the fact that the EU27 are in an infinitely stronger starting position and will remain there unless the UK cleverly manages to fracture the bloc, which I have my doubts they will given that all Boris Johnson can do is insult people, Liam Fox is too dumb and David Davies looks like he's about to die from exhaustion. The EU cannot, will not and should not give the UK everything they ask for but a 'close partnership' arrangement will be found, but the advantages will go to the EU27 and the UK will simply be worse off.

That, therefore, is the almost-predictable outcome of these negotiations, which is why you need to stop using words like 'punishment' etc. - such terminology will create (for yourself and others) an oppositional relationship that does not (yet) exist between the EU and the UK. There are simply facts of life which the UK should stop ignoring, but they cannot do that due to their internal political problems.

That's all fine and dandy in theory, but in reality this is the biggest change the UK will experience in the last 40 something years and given how polarized the subject is, they will grade May on whether she "lost" and allowed the EU to punish the UK or not and in case that the agreement does not make UK the land where milk and honey flow, she will get blamed for it by the pro-Brexit crowd to make them look better.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Pretty sure that was the Italians.

No, that was the Romans. Italians are basically Germans with too much Latin in their language.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

e X posted:

They might not want to "punish" the U.K. but this is a historic first and the idea that EU will play anything but hardball here is naiv.

This will set the precedent for all future leavers, if the outcome is anything but a clear loss in privileges and advantages for the U.K. it would be terribly damaging for the future of the EU.

The inverse is also true, there's no win for the EU here.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
yeah but unless the eu manages to out-stupid idiot brexiteers, the uk will be the much bigger loser

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
So yeah then, RIP EU.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

His Divine Shadow posted:

So yeah then, RIP EU.

I think you mean RIP UK. The EU will no doubt destroy itself but brexit wont really matter in the end.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

So yeah then, RIP EU.

Eh, I don't know. The UK leaving with a slightly-worse deal than EU membership is probably one of the things all 27 remaining countries can agree on. Plus, the central leadership (except Verhofstadt :ughh: ) is much, much more competent than the UK side.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

9-Volt Assault posted:

I think you mean RIP UK. The EU will no doubt destroy itself but brexit wont really matter in the end.

I meant rip to 'em both really.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Junior G-man posted:

Eh, I don't know. The UK leaving with a slightly-worse deal than EU membership is probably one of the things all 27 remaining countries can agree on. Plus, the central leadership (except Verhofstadt :ughh: ) is much, much more competent than the UK side.

How dare you say that about Liam Fox, David Davis & Boris Johnson? ARE BOYS WILL RESTORE THE EMPIRE BULLDOG SPIRIT :britain:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I meant rip to 'em both really.

RIP EUK?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

forkboy84 posted:

How dare you say that about Liam Fox, David Davis & Boris Johnson? ARE BOYS WILL RESTORE THE EMPIRE BULLDOG SPIRIT :britain:

Reminder that Liam Fox got busted for corruption from his previous post in defence.

Well I guess his new post as the head international trade negotiator doesn't provide any opportunities for corruption, so it's fine and all.

David Davis and BoJo, just :lol: Unfortunately I think their departmental personnel might actually be somewhat more effective.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Private Speech posted:

Reminder that Liam Fox got busted for corruption from his previous post in defence.

Well I guess his new post as the head international trade negotiator doesn't provide any opportunities for corruption, so it's fine and all.

David David and BoJo, just :lol: Unfortunately I think their departmental personnel might actually be somewhat more effective.
The Disgraced Dr. Liam Fox MP and David Davis are ablative ministers that can be fired for being corrupt/inept and disloyal at any time if the public mood on Brexit changes, and the press will be like "oh yeah obviously". BoJo will probably do Okay as foreign minister when the cameras are off him and he isn't pretending to be a churchillian moron for domestic consumption.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Toplowtech posted:

Yes it's a divorce, we get it, stop trying to convince us. That's the big question, will the UK "cleverly" attempt to fracture the bloc at some point to keep all the dogs and all the silverware; because if it's even perceived that it's what May is trying to do, no matter what you say "punishment" will be a weak term to design what the EU will aim for.

Immediately after the referendum it seemed that's what they were going for but it seems (and I hope) they have reconsidered. Not only could the EU desestabilize the UK if it started making openings to Scotland in retaliation I never understood what would be in it for the UK to break up the EU other than spite. It's evident the UK wants to keep their access to the common market, no EU would mean no common market. I doubt it's benefits could be made up for with a individual trade deals and it would still be catastrophic for the UK in the short/medium run anyway.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Libluini posted:

No, that was the Romans. Italians are basically Germans with too much Latin in their language.

Italy seems like a weird monster hybrid of Germany and Greece getting the worst of both

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't a huge part of the UK's economy dependent on immigrants? I was under the impression that even the big bucks jobs in finance and IT were filled with people that aren't British since there aren't enough people to fill all those gaps.

In the same way those who voted out most surely think of immigrants and refugees as freeloaders I think of brits themselves as welfare queens (I, however, know this is a false point of view). Maybe that's because the british culture I consume presents them as such (Misfits, Shameless, Attack the Block). I honestly think immigration was helping the country in my limited knowledge.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

orange sky posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't a huge part of the UK's economy dependent on immigrants? I was under the impression that even the big bucks jobs in finance and IT were filled with people that aren't British since there aren't enough people to fill all those gaps.

Yup, farming is incredibly depending on seasonal/harvest labour, and this morning the UK hospitality industry was crying alarm because they say they need about 60.000 EU migrant a year to keep everything going (think waiters, room service, cleaners etc). The NHS itself can't exist without immigrants.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

jBrereton posted:

The Disgraced Dr. Liam Fox MP and David Davis are ablative ministers that can be fired for being corrupt/inept and disloyal at any time if the public mood on Brexit changes, and the press will be like "oh yeah obviously". BoJo will probably do Okay as foreign minister when the cameras are off him and he isn't pretending to be a churchillian moron for domestic consumption.

Boris also has the weight of the Foreign Office propping him up - despite the erosion of the civil service in recent years (and the post-Brexit clusterfuck) its still a highly competent and professional foreign service with highly skilled personnel and extensive institutional knowledge. Unless he personally fucks up catastrophically - he will probably be fine.

Davis and Fox both head newly established government departments - light on staff, expertise and institutional structures, and with confusing cross-cutting departmental mandates. They are eminently expendable and have almost certainly been set up for a fall. Davis almost certauinly realises this, but I suspect Fox is too dense to.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Junior G-man posted:

Yup, farming is incredibly depending on seasonal/harvest labour, and this morning the UK hospitality industry was crying alarm because they say they need about 60.000 EU migrant a year to keep everything going (think waiters, room service, cleaners etc). The NHS itself can't exist without immigrants.

Yeah from what I know a lot (a lot) of our nurses (Portugal) were leaving right after getting their Master's to the UK because the NHS gave them really good conditions and found the portuguese nurses pretty good.

Brexit already affected that:
https://www.publico.pt/2017/03/29/sociedade/noticia/medo-do-brexit-e-teste-mais-dificil-de-ingles-travam-emigracao-de-enfermeiros-1766833

quote:

In the last four months of 2016 the average of nurses going to the British NHS fell from 800/month to under 200/month.

That's... Quite a difference. I imagine what the grand totals will be like.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

orange sky posted:

Yeah from what I know a lot (a lot) of our nurses (Portugal) were leaving right after getting their Master's to the UK because the NHS gave them really good conditions and found the portuguese nurses pretty good.

Brexit already affected that:
https://www.publico.pt/2017/03/29/sociedade/noticia/medo-do-brexit-e-teste-mais-dificil-de-ingles-travam-emigracao-de-enfermeiros-1766833

That's... Quite a difference. I imagine what the grand totals will be like.

From what I recall the grand totals are in the negative (for all NHS personnel, but we're talking thousands not hundreds).

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

I've got a great idea for a jobs program: we force the UK to constantly Brexit and Brenter every few years. We'll need tens of thousands of lawyers and their assistants to handle the workload, full time!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

fishmech posted:

I've got a great idea for a jobs program: we force the UK to constantly Brexit and Brenter every few years. We'll need tens of thousands of lawyers and their assistants to handle the workload, full time!

I'm pretty sure the UK would be on board - there'd be a neverending supply of dirty foreigners to blame all the problems on.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Libluini posted:

are you telling the Lombards are not the true heirs of rome?!

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

are you telling the Lombards are not the true heirs of rome?!
Yes let's blame the slowest walking germanic tribe of all time.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/31/future-of-gibraltar-at-stake-in-brexit-negotiations

quote:

After lobbying from Spanish diplomats, a clause has been inserted in the EU’s draft Brexit negotiating guidelines that appears to allow Spain to exclude Gibraltar from any transitional single market access arrangement or future trade deal with the UK if it is not satisfied with the status of the territory.

This suggests that unless Britain is willing to let its citizens on “the rock” be subject to an inferior economic future than those in the UK, the EU has effectively handed the Spanish government a veto on Britain’s entire future relationship with the bloc.

“The union will stick up for its members, and that means Spain now,” a senior EU official said.

The news is likely to infuriate London, which has insisted that its longstanding refusal to entertain Spain’s ambitions of reclaiming sovereignty over Gibraltar, which was ceded to Britain in 1713, will not be affected by Brexit.

The foreign secretary, Boris Johnson, has said Britain will maintain “an implacable, marmoreal and rock-like resistance” to any change in Gibraltar’s sovereignty.

I can't see this realistically having much real impact on anything, but lol if the UK manages to lose Gibraltar down the road thanks to Brexit.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

YF-23 posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/31/future-of-gibraltar-at-stake-in-brexit-negotiations

I can't see this realistically having much real impact on anything, but lol if the UK manages to lose Gibraltar down the road thanks to Brexit.

Doubt they're gonna care much after losing Scotland and NI

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

YF-23 posted:

Well, it does at the very least mean Spanish politicians have set themselves up for getting pressured by nationalists on the home front, during the negotiations. And we all know how well politicians usually resist that kind of thing.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
This is funny too:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/22/uk-based-airlines-told-to-move-to-europe-after-brexit-or-lose-major-routes

It's even related to the topic of Gibraltar:

quote:

Spanish diplomats, for example, say they will not sign any international aviation agreement that recognises the airport on Gibraltar.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
Tomorrow Frauke Petty will announce her resignation as AfD leader, putting party in potential civil war 6 months before federal elections. http://www.dw.com/en/afd-leader-frauke-petry-hints-at-resignation-ahead-of-convention/a-38215341

BACK OF THE NET

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Panama Red posted:

Tomorrow Frauke Petty will announce her resignation as AfD leader, putting party in potential civil war 6 months before federal elections. http://www.dw.com/en/afd-leader-frauke-petry-hints-at-resignation-ahead-of-convention/a-38215341

BACK OF THE NET

:unsmigghh:

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Panama Red posted:

BACK OF THE NET

Please don't post fake news.

The whole point of this farce by Petry (crying, "hinting" at resignation) is to get sympathy and motivate her base in the AfD while at the same time humanizing herself in the public.

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 31, 2017

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct

GaussianCopula posted:

Please don't post fake news.

The whole point of this farce by Petry (crying, "hinting" at resignation) is to get sympathy and motivate her base in the AfD while at the same time humanizing herself in the public.

I would agree if it was just her "considering" resigning again, but she's actually calling a conference to announce something -- almost certainly her quitting in a big tantrum

e: Turns out this is fake account. Frauke Petty has NOT announced retirement as AfD leader

Panama Red fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 31, 2017

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Well it looks like the divorce is going to force England to solve all the small conflicts it wouldn't even want to discuss during the marriage. Spain wants to keep the rock obviously. We should ask for some Normand islands just to scare some tax dodgers while we are at it. :france:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Toplowtech posted:

Well it looks like the divorce is going to force England to solve all the small conflicts it wouldn't even want to discuss during the marriage. Spain wants to keep the rock obviously. We should ask for some Normand islands just to scare some tax dodgers while we are at it. :france:

If you guys want to renegotiate the terms of the Thirteen Colonies' autonomy, I wouldn't be too upset.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

feedmegin posted:

Most Scots on these forums wanted out the last time, too. Most British people you know probably wanted to Remain. 'People you know' isn't a representative demographic as a rule.

What I meant was that very few people enjoy England and Scotland being one country, they just didn't want to gently caress up the economy / change a working thing.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
can't wait to go vacationing in liberated Gibraltar!!

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
*In extremely losing seats to Podemos voice*

"Listen we might have 40% youth unemployment but what really matters is that fuckin rock with some crap shops and a handful of monkeys on it!!!!"

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

jBrereton posted:

"Listen we might have 40% youth unemployment but what really matters is that fuckin rock with some crap shops and a handful of monkeys on it!!!!"

Pretty borders is serious business okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

jBrereton posted:

Most governments are quite capable of addressing multiple issues at the same time, and dealing with Gibraltar and addressing youth unemployment are certainly not mutually exclusive. It's only the UK government which will find it very difficult to deal with anything other than Brexit for the foreseeable future, in the rest of the EU they can just leave it to Barnier after his negotiating mandate has been agreed.