Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Yeah warscore, AE and coring cost are all capped at 30 dev, so that anything over that costs the equivalent of 30 dev

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I want to say it used to be possible to develop a province that high before they put a hard cap on it, though. I remember having trouble taking Hamburg or Lubeck in an old campaign because of this. It might have just been really high warscore and not >100 though.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
So I sided with Parliament in the English Civil War and now I can't royal marry to get more PUs. Is there a way to get my Monarchy back? Spain, Savoy, and the Commonwealth have de Trastamara and my prestige is the highest of the group so I could really do some damage if I can revert back to my old dynasty.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Chump Farts posted:

So I sided with Parliament in the English Civil War and now I can't royal marry to get more PUs. Is there a way to get my Monarchy back? Spain, Savoy, and the Commonwealth have de Trastamara and my prestige is the highest of the group so I could really do some damage if I can revert back to my old dynasty.

Tank your republican tradition and you'll turn back into a monarchy. You won't get the old dynasty back though.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Chump Farts posted:

Did you end the civil war yet? If I remember that disaster right, you should be able to lose to rebels who give you your monarchy/dynasty back

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

AnoHito posted:

Did you end the civil war yet? If I remember that disaster right, you should be able to lose to rebels who give you your monarchy/dynasty back

Cromwell had high stats and I didn't think it through and I won. My tradition is at zero because 300 admin points so I'll just wait and cry try to start from scratch on dynasty politics.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
Trip report from my Heirs of Carthage/Barbarossa run:

1 Privateering is actually super powerful, I've never used it before but now I'm in love. I've stolen more than 200 ducats from a single spanish treasure fleet! Also, it lets you get money from a rich node without having to dedicate a merchant and lose your transfer boniiiii

2 Maghrebi Ideas + Maritime & Naval= Terminator Galleys. The Mediterranean was my turf from like 1550 until the end of the game. Also, don't forget to use your galleys to slave raid.

3. Ottomans are bæ. They saved my rear end when spain got a PU on Ethiopia

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

IAmThatIs posted:

1 Privateering is actually super powerful, I've never used it before but now I'm in love. I've stolen more than 200 ducats from a single spanish treasure fleet! Also, it lets you get money from a rich node without having to dedicate a merchant and lose your transfer boniiiii

how do you use privateering effectively? just stick a bunch of light ships on the richest trade node that isn't being patrolled?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Prav posted:

how do you use privateering effectively? just stick a bunch of light ships on the richest trade node that isn't being patrolled?

Rich nodes you can't otherwise collect from; say you're in Venice, most of the New World trade will be going to Genoa and the English Channel. You can't direct that trade to your own node with merchants, so send out ships to those nodes to steal it. I rarely think it's worth worrying about AI patrolling against it, I don't think they do it too much.

Although honestly, while it'd depend on how wealthy you are, normally I think it's worth prioritizing privateering against rivals for the power projection over any gold you'd get. With a high great power rank + privateers, you can keep permanently over 50 power projection and so get +1 in all monarch points.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
Yeah I forgot to mention that, privateering 3 rivals also gives you +30 PP if you use enough light ships :yarr:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

IAmThatIs posted:

Yeah I forgot to mention that, privateering 3 rivals also gives you +30 PP if you use enough light ships :yarr:
I love having two rivals in one trade zone, like Portugal and Spain - privateering Seville is a goldmine in terms of the money and the PP.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
I had no idea that privateering gave power projection. That's cool.

I am in the middle of a Castile -> Spain -> Roman Empire run that is going so well that I find myself in the position to easily become Holy Roman Emperor and add enough land to the empire to pass all the reforms (once I get past a pending female heir that is). Am I correct in assuming that reforming the Roman Empire just requires me to hold Rome and Constantinople? I am a little worried about the order in which I do things, I don't want to pass all the HRE reforms only to find that it prevents me from reforming the old unholy Roman Empire.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

IAmThatIs posted:

Oh is it tied to strength of privateering then? My PP bonuses from privateering never run that high (but I don't build enough light ships usually).

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Jamsque posted:

I had no idea that privateering gave power projection. That's cool.

I am in the middle of a Castile -> Spain -> Roman Empire run that is going so well that I find myself in the position to easily become Holy Roman Emperor and add enough land to the empire to pass all the reforms (once I get past a pending female heir that is). Am I correct in assuming that reforming the Roman Empire just requires me to hold Rome and Constantinople? I am a little worried about the order in which I do things, I don't want to pass all the HRE reforms only to find that it prevents me from reforming the old unholy Roman Empire.

This is probably worth checking in the wiki but iirc Papal State and the reformed HRE can't take decisions that would change their tag, so that would prevent you from restoring the Roman Empire

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Chin Strap posted:

Oh is it tied to strength of privateering then? My PP bonuses from privateering never run that high (but I don't build enough light ships usually).
Yeah the more power from your light ships and the higher that person's percentage of trade, I think, will determine how much PP you get. E.G. if they own the whole node and you send even a few light ships it will have a larger impact because when they privateer they privateer the node, not a specific country. Thus if your privateering power is all hitting one country because they have 90% of the power there, you get more PP.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Jamsque posted:

Am I correct in assuming that reforming the Roman Empire just requires me to hold Rome and Constantinople?

You need one or two other provinces as well

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Fullhouse posted:

This is probably worth checking in the wiki but iirc Papal State and the reformed HRE can't take decisions that would change their tag, so that would prevent you from restoring the Roman Empire

I've gone Castile ->Spain ->Roman Empire ->Holy Roman Empire
IIRC it sucked because once I went hre I got hit by the penalty for controlling Rome, again.
E:Rome! Not time. Phoneposting.

awesmoe fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 30, 2017

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Wafflecopper posted:

lmao you need the Azores, the Canaries, and Madiera?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Speaking of light ships what is a good way to determine rule of thumb for light ships vs transports vs combat ships when it comes to how many to build? I tend to only build enough transports to shuttle a full width army if I am an island based power. I never have any clue how hard I should be pushing light ships. I know they can tend to pay off over time if you are by rich enough nodes, but the math always confounds me.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Chin Strap posted:

Speaking of light ships what is a good way to determine rule of thumb for light ships vs transports vs combat ships when it comes to how many to build? I tend to only build enough transports to shuttle a full width army if I am an island based power. I never have any clue how hard I should be pushing light ships. I know they can tend to pay off over time if you are by rich enough nodes, but the math always confounds me.
Assuming you are a large enough power that you have the forcelimits to have a full width's worth of transports, I try to have a full stack of Heavies, and the rest of my forcelimit in Lights.

This is a very ambiguous response because so many times it is really subjective depending on your location and enemies.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Wafflecopper posted:

Well this game is going to be more interesting than I thought then. Should still be doable, the Ottomans are not scary any more and I already have all of Italy, Iberia and North Africa plus PUs on Lithuania and Austria. I just got imperialism CBs and declared war on Great Britain to take their third of France, they are the final boss because they somehow ended up with a PU on Russia.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Chin Strap posted:

Most of your ships should be light ships. I usually do the following:

- Transports: Enough to ferry one full army around. Half of that if I'm poor or have low forcelimits. Maybe two fleets if I've got a ton of colonies.
- Heavy ships: A few more than the amount you expect to face. Heavy ships are expensive and don't do anything other than fight so you should only really have as many as you need to accomplish your objectives. In practice, I dunno, 10-20?
- Light ships: The rest of your forcelimit. Light ships generally pay for themselves if you put them to work steering trade in decent nodes, so it's hard to have too many.

But Real Muenster is right that it's really subjective. Sometimes you'll want fewer heavies and more galleys, sometimes you can't afford heavies, etc.

This isn't really something you need to minmax and I wouldn't sweat it too much. It's hard to screw up ships unless you build way too many heavies, or a ton of galleys and you're not in an inland sea, something like that.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Wafflecopper posted:

...Why Zeeland?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

...Why Zeeland?

because rome stretched all the way up there? same logic as why you need cairo, fez, wien, etc

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Pretty sure Rome never had the Azores

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Elotana posted:

Pretty sure Rome never had the Azores

since it's part of iberia in EU4 it just gets included with "has region: iberia" :shrug:

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I'm not sure which achievements to go for now that my Portugal is richer than God (almost 100 ducat surplus per month even while funding 100k in infantry mercs).

I have the 5 CNs and the not so sad nation. It's still early 17th century. Austria and I are eating France, and I've got the Genoa trade node locked down.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mandalay posted:

I'm not sure which achievements to go for now that my Portugal is richer than God (almost 100 ducat surplus per month even while funding 100k in infantry mercs).

I have the 5 CNs and the not so sad nation. It's still early 17th century. Austria and I are eating France, and I've got the Genoa trade node locked down.

Have you ever taken India or Japan?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I have not. Master of India and its Japan achievement look good. Thanks!

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Speaking of Rome, I don't think this is how one is supposed to play the Dark Continent mod, but this is what I ended up doing:

Started as the tribal OPM of Aachen, one of the few vestiges of Christianity remaining in the depopulated Europe. Slowly I expanded and resettled the land, getting stronger and eventually driving out most of the Muslims who had settled in Europe, then refounded the Roman Empire. I hope Alikchi updates the mod again after Mandate of Heaven because I'll be interested to try it once more, outside of Europe this time.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Quick question about disinheriting. If I am Aragon and somehow got a Habsburg heir, will disinheriting get me back to Trastemara? I just got one of those fucks on the French throne and really don't wanna lose the chance to maybe even Mare Noatrum.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Maybe. If you roll a new heir before your king kicks it then they'll probably be a Trastamara. But if your king dies early, then you'll likely get a random local dynasty.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
Who likes achievements?

code:
Absolutely - Gain 100 Absolutism
Carthago Delenda Est - As an Italian culture nation, make sure entire Tunis Area is at 100 devastation.
Sakoku Law - Go full isolationist in 6 Incidents.
Sweet Harmony - Harmonize 7 religions as Confucian.
Three Trivial Tributary Tribes - Have 3 Tribal States as Tributaries.
Cherrypicking - conscript a 3 star general from a Daimyo Subject
Qing of China - Become Chinese Emperor as Qing
Turtles all the way down - As Korea get 135% Ship Durability.
These Banners need a Saga - Have 100 regiments as Banners raised at the same time.
Tear Down This Wall - Use artillery Barrage on Berlin
A Golden Empire - Enact a Golden Age as an Empire.
Live Long and Prosper - Have 30 states with prosperity at the same time as you have a 70 year old ruler.
I'll graze my horse here.. And here… - As a Horde, own over 200 provinces producing grain.
Made in Japan - Embrace "manufacturies" institution as Japan by 1655
Rise of the White Sheep - As Aq Qoyunlu, own Tabriz and have Qara Qoyunlu not exist by 1478
Gold Rush - Reform the Golden Horde before 1500.
The Navigator - As Portugal, get owned provinces in Africa, India and Indonesia before 1500.
Disciples of Enlightenment - Starting as Dai Viet, have 10 nations follow the Mahayana Faith by 1500
The First Toungoo Empire- As Taungu, unite the Burman culture group by 1500
Where the heart is - As Dahomey, force all non-Fetishist nations out of Niger and Sahel by 1500

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

What is Absolutism? I must have missed that dev diary.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Mountaineer posted:

Speaking of Rome, I don't think this is how one is supposed to play the Dark Continent mod, but this is what I ended up doing:

Started as the tribal OPM of Aachen, one of the few vestiges of Christianity remaining in the depopulated Europe. Slowly I expanded and resettled the land, getting stronger and eventually driving out most of the Muslims who had settled in Europe, then refounded the Roman Empire. I hope Alikchi updates the mod again after Mandate of Heaven because I'll be interested to try it once more, outside of Europe this time.

Does Dark Continent change the trade flow, or does global trade still end up in the empty wastes of Europe?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Dark Continent doesn't change the flow of trade, which is actually kind of silly considering its other changes like being able to set up colonial nations in Europe. The mod does change how institutions spawn and I don't think I had a single one appear in Europe. Global Trade spawns in the most valuable trade node, and that's not going to be in Europe since it's all low-dev garbage.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Mountaineer posted:

What is Absolutism? I must have missed that dev diary.

Here's the dev diary

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Oh, it's part of the Age mechanic. That's gonna nerf raising autonomy for a good chunk of the game.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Bonus dev diary about rebalancing:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-31st-of-march-2017-big-bonus-one.1008425/

quote:

We merged protectorates and vassals into vassals. You can do divert trade & seize territory from vassals & send officers to marches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

I came here to quote the exact same change you quoted. Thank God for that

edit:

for this too:

quote:

In an effort to reduce tedious micromanagement, we’ve done a major change of convenience. Spies are no longer sent home when discovered, but instead have decay while being discovered for a year.

• Locked thread