Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Has anyone played Old Time Hockey yet? Is it worth the 15bux?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
oilers are one point behind the ducks for 1st in the pacific, and will pass them with any sort of win against them saturday (currently tied on row and season series points)

oilers schedule after ducks: kings, sharks, canucks twice
ducks: calgary twice, sharks, kings

:getin:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Hey Jackets, your defensive play and goaltending have been fairly spectacular of late, but would you mind scoring more than two goals? I mean, let's be fair, Philadelphia and Carolina were also very solid defensively, but actually scoring goals are going to be a valuable skill in a couple weeks.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Imagine how the oilers would be doing if the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th lines could score ever, and if the first line couldn't be split up by prodding maroon a little bit.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

tinstaach posted:

The streak may be over, but at least some of the Red Wings kids are worth watching, like Anthony M-

https://twitter.com/AnsarKhanMLive/status/847607579492495360

oh, ok

obligatory Fire Ken Holland

Oh no I hope it's not his video poker finger

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

fits posted:

oilers are one point behind the ducks for 1st in the pacific, and will pass them with any sort of win against them saturday (currently tied on row and season series points)

oilers schedule after ducks: kings, sharks, canucks twice
ducks: calgary twice, sharks, kings

:getin:

Oilers are 16-5-3 against the Pacific this season as well, best of any Pacific team. It's definitely possible they can win the Pacific. Really, as long as they beat the Ducks and then match the Ducks point-for-point to end the season, they've got it.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

JoelJoel posted:

Has anyone played Old Time Hockey yet? Is it worth the 15bux?

It's pretty clunky, not awful or anything, but nothing special. The devs seem to be listening to feedback pretty actively, so maybe patches will make it better?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Spelling Mitsake posted:

It's pretty clunky, not awful or anything, but nothing special. The devs seem to be listening to feedback pretty actively, so maybe patches will make it better?

Cool, thanks. Guess I'll hold off a but longer.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
Pretty cool that two Flyers had Gordie Howe hat tricks in the first period tonight. Between that and the fact that they beat Pittsburgh the other day, the Flyers are suddenly OK in my book. This is weird...

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

hifi posted:

connor murphy got 3.85x6 in the same kind of deal and it looks like all the comparable contracts are pretty similar. salary increases and term that puts you over 30 but not ancient, and a 3-5MM overall cap hit. I wonder if the subban bridge deal debacle made GMs more open to paying for potential

https://www.capfriendly.com/comparables/connor-murphy-7257

In this case, Zaitsev is already 25 so anything over a year would've brought him to UFA, meaning no bridge deal. I think, once a guy is a full-time, serviceable NHL defenseman, you can pretty much rely on him to stay serviceable through at least age 30.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
A nice glimpse into what it's like working for Eugene Melnyk

Ottawa Citizen posted:

Specifically, the claim alleges Melnyk “at times used profanity and levelled insults at executive team members, including constantly calling into question their competency. Mr. Melnyk sent abusive emails to the executive team and frequently threatened to dismiss them.”

Around this time, Melnyk questioned O’Leary’s performance and his job title, the lawsuit alleges.

“How and when did you get the title of Chief Marketing Officer?” Melnyk asks O’Leary in an email included in the statement of claim.

“Peter — all time lows under my watch. Start thinking you are OFF all other projects other than selling immediate tickets. Drop the CMO title – MARKETING??? Drop the 2017 stuff, how are you making us money??? I lose millions this way . . . you will force us to start laying off dozens of people the day after the season. . .”
http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/former-ottawa-senators-executive-sues-melnyk-team-for-1-55m-alleges-discord-behind-the-scenes/amp

Wub a Dub Sub
Feb 13, 2012

to the heart and mind
ignorance is kind

there's no comfort in the truth
pain is all youll find

so im never gonna dance again
guilty feet have got no rhythem...

Powershift posted:

Imagine how the oilers would be doing if the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th lines could score ever, and if the first line couldn't be split up by prodding maroon a little bit.

its like nuge and rnh only score when it's time for a reminder that they even exist..

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wub a Dub Sub posted:

its like nuge and rnh only score when it's time for a reminder that they even exist..

Is there a more expensive/less productive line in the NHL?

RNH/ebs/luc, $18m for 50 goals/127 points this season.

McDavid/draisatil/maroon is currently $3.35m for 82 goals/204 points. Of course in 2 years that's going to be a $20m line. They really should have signed maroon for like, 10 years, how much of a steal would he have been at 1.5 mil.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Wub a Dub Sub posted:

nuge and rnh are the same person :ssh:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

grack posted:

I think Zaitsev is a top pairing D for Toronto with Reilly?

He plays on the top pair, but that has to be understood in the way that teams these days tend to split their 1 and 2 D, and for Toronto those two are clearly Rielly and Gardiner. Zaitsev is fine as a defenceman -- even possession in fairly tough minutes while producing on the powerplay -- so 4.5 million a year is fine short term, but 7 years makes me uncomfortable.

A Typical Goon posted:

Toronto doesn't have a top pairing D

Jake Gardiner, baby.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Jamwad Hilder posted:

It's hard to say what's up with the Bruins.

Who can say what's up, but I'm certainly glad they thought it was Julien :swoon:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I'm disappointed they didn't work the word "buy-o-flail" in there.

Leeder wasn't the problem. Fans thinking the guy funding the team is equal parts lunatic tyrant and cheap idiot is the problem. Still, I'm not convinced this isn't basically every NHL owner.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Nearly time to decide on awards for the season. Who will your team nominate as the best dressed player? :swoon:

lol that hat...

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
elias officially retired

https://twitter.com/SportsCentre/status/847790880329216001

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Powershift posted:

They didn't spend the whole season together (although that was certainly the intention in the summer), but at times the Canucks iced Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson at a combined cost of $20M and they've managed 45g 69a 109pts in 216 games.

The three of them combined managed fewer points than Henrik had in his Hart Trophy season.

:smith:

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Mar 31, 2017

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Powershift posted:

Is there a more expensive/less productive line in the NHL?

McDavid/draisatil/maroon is currently $3.35m for 82 goals/204 points. Of course in 2 years that's going to be a $20m line. They really should have signed maroon for like, 10 years, how much of a steal would he have been at 1.5 mil.

The top line makes about 9 million with bonuses.

Also Nuge and Eberle have been playing less per game, and getting less pp time all year while playing against tougher competition. They aren't just playing worse than they have in the past, there are very specific usage reasons for their point totals being supressed.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The top line makes about 9 million with bonuses.

And McDavid will be signing a juicy $10/11M a year extension come July 1st. Drai is gonna get $7M+ too probably.

Actually now that I think about it, I could see McDavid just going straight Crosby ripoff and settling on a $9.7M cap hit.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Jackets had some travel troubles:

quote:

A faulty generator on the charter plane forced the team to abort its flight to Chicago about 30 minutes after takeoff from Raleigh-Durham International Airport. The plane returned safely to Raleigh.

http://www.dispatch.com/entertainmentlife/20170331/mechanical-issues-on-blue-jackets-charter-flight-forces-late-night-return-to-raleigh

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

And McDavid will be signing a juicy $10/11M a year extension come July 1st. Drai is gonna get $7M+ too probably.

Actually now that I think about it, I could see McDavid just going straight Crosby ripoff and settling on a $9.7M cap hit.

I hope so!

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Kinda figured that was coming. The Devils already announced they will retire his jersey next season.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/MAGodin/status/847799982132535297

Fuckin' lol at the guy who did this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzZvG5O9Rg0

saying that. But the funniest part is probably "I think he's a pretty good defenseman."

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
love you, patty

most of all, thank you for staying and not signing with the shitbirds across the hudson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIFABGoEU54

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Mind_Taker posted:

https://twitter.com/MAGodin/status/847799982132535297

Fuckin' lol at the guy who did this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzZvG5O9Rg0

saying that. But the funniest part is probably "I think he's a pretty good defenseman."

"attack"

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

He's the bottom level of NHL calibre defensemen. In the large scheme of things that still means he's pretty good.

Also, he can't fight because his face has more plates than my crockery cupboard.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Yeah I'd say a slewfoot followed by punching a dude in the head while he was lying on the ice falls under the definition of "attack."

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

Maybe if they win the cup, they'll take a lower wage to keep the team together for a dynasty. $6 million a year goes a long way in edmonton.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

"Man in Dying Profession Attempts to Legitimize Dying Profession"

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Mind_Taker posted:

Yeah I'd say a slewfoot followed by punching a dude in the head while he was lying on the ice falls under the definition of "attack."

Maybe teach Orpik not to play with matches if he doesn't want to get burned.

He's right though. Lots of no accountability losers in the league right now that need a good punch to the head

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Fateo McMurray posted:

Lots of no accountability losers in the league right now that need a good punch to the head

Including Shawn Thornton. He should embrace being the villain rather than trying to seem like a hero (who is really lovely at hockey).

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Feel free to take revenge on Emelin, Shawn.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Mind_Taker posted:

Including Shawn Thornton. He should embrace being the villain rather than trying to seem like a hero (who is really lovely at hockey).

Umm he is a hero. https://twitter.com/georgerichards/status/847809711378374661

Patty retiring ends the last connection to the Devils teams I grew up rooting for.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Brain Curry posted:

Umm he is a hero. https://twitter.com/georgerichards/status/847809711378374661

Patty retiring ends the last connection to the Devils teams I grew up rooting for.

Terreri is still the goalie coach!

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Mind_Taker posted:

Shawn Thornton is a hero and all around Good Guy. I mean just look at how he takes out that penguin, all of whom are Bad Guys

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I do agree that Emelin is an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I hope you enjoy scootering your way to retirement, Patty. So glad he retired a Devil.

• Locked thread