Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Your Computer posted:

Also doesn't "roll, attack, reserve stamina" literally describe the entirety of Souls combat? Not trying to be snarky.

I remember when Bloodborne was getting ready to come out, and I found out that instead of rolling, you did this kind of impossible anime-esque evasive dash in the direction of your choice, and I was terrified of how lovely it would be. Funny that it was about all it really took to take fundamental Souls combat out of the corny meta that it developed into -- take a swing and roll away 3 or 4 times in a row, or even worse, bouncy ball your whole god drat body into the enemy for your best chances of not taking damage.

After this DLC I'm done with Souls. It was an incredible franchise and one I'll remember forever, but I've had my fill. I wanna play Bloodborne again, though. Don't even want or need a Bloodborne 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
On the final optional boss is the worst parts of the ancient dragon and Sinh all rolled into one impossible to predict hitboxy mess. I totally love desperately rolling away only to catch blue laser to the face and die instantly. It's seriously so bad chasing after this clown only to end up in a spot where you literally can't run fast enough to get to safety, and the fire is going to gently caress 90% of your HP no matter what shield you have. Hopefully someone finds a nice cheesable strat for this boss, because gently caress it I'm going to end up cheat engining this rear end in a top hat if I have to die one (dozen) more times to impossible to prevent poo poo.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

il serpente cosmico posted:

I haven't finished it yet, but I feel like I've already run into a good amount of annoying bullshit. The angels were a pointless pain in the rear end, and the same goes for the bridge with the archer summoner. Also, why the hell did the devs make Zoey endlessly chug estus? I get enough of that in PVP, and it added the annoying step of going back to the shrine bonfire to pick up some undead charms. Why not just give her some more HP or maybe limit her chugs to 2-3 and call it a day? For as much as people complain about fighting chuggers, I'm wondering if FROM is trolling their fanbase.

The first boss wasn't especially difficult, as I got it on my third try, but it wasn't good enough to warrant its length and it had some annoying camera issues. The large AOE pyromancies felt bullshit and random. I think I have an aversion to boss fights that don't end when you get the health bar all the way down.

As much as I loved DS3, I was pretty lukewarm on the first DLC and the second one is also shaping up to be disappointing to me. I love the setting and lore, but playing it has been an annoying slog.

For me, she had like 3 total before doing the empty flask animation. Try relaxing, skeleton.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

On the final optional boss is the worst parts of the ancient dragon and Sinh all rolled into one impossible to predict hitboxy mess. I totally love desperately rolling away only to catch blue laser to the face and die instantly. It's seriously so bad chasing after this clown only to end up in a spot where you literally can't run fast enough to get to safety, and the fire is going to gently caress 90% of your HP no matter what shield you have. Hopefully someone finds a nice cheesable strat for this boss, because gently caress it I'm going to end up cheat engining this rear end in a top hat if I have to die one (dozen) more times to impossible to prevent poo poo.

The Fextralife strategy video was very concise for melee, although I didn't bother to implement half of it before giving up for basically the same reasons you stated. gently caress it. I never killed Ancient Dragon, either.

Basically stay melee and in front of it as best you can, and opt for attacking the head or tail because the legs apparently aren't actually there.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Fly Molo posted:

For me, she had like 3 total before doing the empty flask animation. Try relaxing, skeleton.

Yeah, I might just need to get my dark souls legs back. It doesn't help that I just put about 50 hours into Nioh. For as much as that game feel similar to Dark Souls as you're playing it, it's kind of crazy how much more action-oriented, fast-paced, and forgiving it is after jumping back in to Dark Souls 3.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Please change the thread title too "Let the Feast Begin".

I could block the fire with my tiny little dragonhead shield and it did barely any damage. Not that you should need to block it most of the time anyways.

Anyways the proper way to fight him is to focus on hitting his head since it deals double damage.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Mar 31, 2017

Lt Jon Kavanaugh
Feb 8, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So overall, this DLC is pretty excellent. I am a bit surprised that there's a slight negative vibe to some of the commentary on it, but I think DS3 has always suffered from people not knowing what the hell they want out of Souls and this DLC is no exception.

The level design is phenomenal. I'd say the Ringed City itself is on par with the Fishing Hamlet in terms of level design, and I love that it feels appropriately lengthy. The Painted World *feels* small, it feels cramped, and it's got so few truly interesting or memorable encounters, to say nothing of its largely exhausting and unbalanced boss fights. The Ringed City, meanwhile, feels like a Greatest Hits collection of Souls.

If DS3 is Souls reflecting back on itself, then this DLC is a combination ultra-hard remix and also one final hurrah of brilliance. The Ringed City's progression, from its daunting introduction to the descent into one final, wonderful and now trademark setting and then culminating in a celebration of the Souls series three biggest trademarks: dragons, online co-op and PvP, and intense, dramatic, emotional combat encounters.

It feels right. Souls could never own up to its own legend. The memory of the original Dark Souls has already become so corrupted by its own legend you'd scarcely recognize it if you knew it only by the hype. In years to come, I wonder if the game will only be further consumed by its own reputation, though I think the series will finally settle and the fanbase will come to some quiet consensus. But I'm glad they didn't try to make some big flashy finale to the game. The game's ending, as is, is great. I consider the Firekeeper ending to be the "true" ending, and I certainly believe it contains the overall statement that Miyazaki wanted to make, and the DLC doesn't contradict nor really impede with that message.

The conclusion to the Lapp sidequest contains what I consider to be a personal message from the game's creator to the player, and I consider that to really be the final say of the matter. So long as you wish to greedily enjoy your Dark Souls, and these endless, pointless, vicious cycles of death and death and more death, then you are welcome. In the end, eventually, the servers will go down, and the game will go silent, and dark, and only flickering embers, developer messages and NPC phantoms, will remain, to remind you that once this was a glorious place, a hall of heroes, villains, monsters and men.

Dark Souls is ended, and it concludes with a perfect example of all of its best level design. It provides some solid, straight forward boss fights that prove challenging but also satisfying to learn. DS3 had a lot of gimmick fights, and it saves much of its straight combat for its last half, and while this DLC does not change that, it does provide more of what people want the most. I honestly don't know if I even have any sincere criticism of this DLC--compared to Ariandel it's a massive improvement, and compared to Old Hunters it's just not quite as polished or jam-packed. For my buck it is on par with Artorias of the Abyss, possibly slightly weaker, but only because AotA adds so much value to the original Dark Souls, to the point of being downright essential.

Counterpoint: Too many enemies are damage sponges, the dragon boss sucks, the concept of areas merging at the end of time is largely wasted, the middle of the Ringed City with the huge swamp is lazy level design.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

enojy posted:

The Fextralife strategy video was very concise for melee, although I didn't bother to implement half of it before giving up for basically the same reasons you stated. gently caress it. I never killed Ancient Dragon, either.

Basically stay melee and in front of it as best you can, and opt for attacking the head or tail because the legs apparently aren't actually there.

Yeah, I watched the video, and much like Gael gave it a dozen or so tries. I killed Gael's stupid cape wearing rear end on try 9, but I'm on like 25 for this lovely dragon and the best I've done is gotten to 70% hp before BLUE BULLSHIT KABOOM and dead. He seems to love that lovely 6 hit combo, a jumping spin, then instantly doing the firebreath and laser attack.

I also ran into my first cheater on the Spears boss. rear end in a top hat was 100% unable to bit hit, but his cheats were poo poo and he couldn't hit us back, so he ran around spamming miracles and being bad at this game, then toggled it off to get a few hits in, got greedy and gangfucked by 3 guys spamming the Dragon UGS twohanded L1.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/627zal/optional_boss_of_the_dlc_at_sl1_ng7_no_rolling_or/

Just learn the positioning for the moves and take it slow. I've beat it on four characters now in ng5-7 and I don't even get hit anymore. It's 100% about positioning.

Play it cool
Feb 2, 2016

Lt Jon Kavanaugh posted:

Counterpoint: Too many enemies are damage sponges, the dragon boss sucks, the concept of areas merging at the end of time is largely wasted, the middle of the Ringed City with the huge swamp is lazy level design.
Did the B-team that developed DS2 made this DLC? Kinda feels like it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Play it cool posted:

Did the B-team that developed DS2 made this DLC? Kinda feels like it.

No because then there would be fun invasions.

That whole humanity puzzle would of been solvable if an invader showed up and immediately chameleoned into the humanity sprite.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mary had a little clam posted:

The lore implications are just tantalizing enough to ponder but unrevealed enough to bother me that we'll never know. Where did the Gael fight take place? It looked like some sort of old throne room. Was that just kind of a generic throne room of the last pygmy lords? Something about the time shift way forward to the last of the dying pygmy lords is really creepy. Like, you get the feeling a LOT of poo poo happened that no one will ever know. I like that about this series.

It looked like some far-future iteration of Firelink Shrine, with several thrones in a half-circle. Like fire link's been demolished and rebuilt so many times, it's barely anything more than a sitting room.

What's the consensus on Filianore? I'm not sure if her spell's keeping the Ringed City preserved and you break it, or if it's just keeping her in stasis... and touching her brings you into her stasis-field until it runs out at the end of time.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

People say this mercury spell is good against Midir, but I don't get it. When you cast it the mist appears like two feet in front of you, and midir moves around like crazy.

Yeah, just cast it during one of the times when he's momentarily sitting still (ie. slashing, breathing fire) then hope he doesn't fly away. During most of his usual attack combos, his hitbox is so huge, either his wings/body/tail will be in some part of the cloud for almost all of its duration.

lobotomy molo fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Mar 31, 2017

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
Post-DLC spoiler?
When you go back to the first dreg heap bonfire and see the dead pilgrim, there's also an angel in the sky that doesn't respawn like the other angels (unless you rest at the bonfire, then she does). Was this angel always there? or did she show up after that pilgrim died? You also don't get anything for killing her.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
That angel there appears when the stone-humped hag dies. In fact, you can trigger its appearance as early as the beginning of the DLC.

EDIT: Also, guys, sorry, but I have to lol at the assumption that any throne room is automatically Firelink Shrine That's an impressive reach.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

MohShuvuu posted:

Post-DLC spoiler?
When you go back to the first dreg heap bonfire and see the dead pilgrim, there's also an angel in the sky that doesn't respawn like the other angels (unless you rest at the bonfire, then she does). Was this angel always there? or did she show up after that pilgrim died? You also don't get anything for killing her.

The angel shows up after she dies, either by you killing her or progressing in the DLC. The angel is supposed to be her. When she died she ascended and became a true angel, unlike the other hollows in the area which are failed angels anchored to their corpses.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

goddamned. Yesterday I could get Midir down to 20% health, now I can barely make it to 80%. I hate this.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I don't know if I just never noticed it or what, but does the grass crest shield not stack with the stamina recharge ring?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Everything he does has tells and is possible to dodge. Just focus on learning his moveset, you'll notice patterns like how he'll always use his laser after firing his breath straight down (you can run up to him as soon as the fire goes away and hit his head when he's done with the laser show), how he'll always start his long hit combo after shooting fire at you from a distance a couple times (just get out of the way then chase it, roll to avoid the tail when he starts turning. It's easy to hit the head when he turns after the combo ends) and so on.

Other bosses have so little HP you can just out-DPS them without running out of estus, but with him you need patience and prediction. Hit his head a couple of times only when there's an attack window, don't overextend. It's the most Monster Hunter fight this series' ever had and it's great.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The optional boss was giving me a real hard time but someone gave me a tip to use Pestilent Mercury, I'm a Pyro not a wizard but I had the 30 Int required. I didn't have any upgraded staves or whatever but it was just chewing through that dudes health bar and you can keep him on top of it for a while if you are lucky. Definitely would recommend.

Now I'm doing the Covenant stuff and its the most rude thing ever, I feel very bad for these dudes.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
I get the feeling a lot of people go all-in on one weapon and throw a fit when an enemy is reaistant to what they're bringing. I fought Zoey three times with a greatsword, kept getting whipped trying to swing. Said gently caress it and cracked out my estoc, loaded up with fire resist gear and flash sweat. poked that bitch to death

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Pwnstar posted:

The optional boss was giving me a real hard time but someone gave me a tip to use Pestilent Mercury, I'm a Pyro not a wizard but I had the 30 Int required. I didn't have any upgraded staves or whatever but it was just chewing through that dudes health bar and you can keep him on top of it for a while if you are lucky. Definitely would recommend.

Now I'm doing the Covenant stuff and its the most rude thing ever, I feel very bad for these dudes.

Mercury doesn't scale with anything, if you can cast it, that's what you're getting.

Still, I'm having a lot of trouble dodging Midir enough to pull of casts, but he wouldn't be the first Dark Souls dragon I've given up on.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Mercury doesn't scale with anything, if you can cast it, that's what you're getting.

Still, I'm having a lot of trouble dodging Midir enough to pull of casts, but he wouldn't be the first Dark Souls dragon I've given up on.

If you stay just in front of his face then he'll almost always do his double swipe then breath combo which is fairly easy to dodge if you keep moving forward. After all that you can just run back around and start it all again.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Willfrey posted:

I get the feeling a lot of people go all-in on one weapon and throw a fit when an enemy is reaistant to what they're bringing. I fought Zoey three times with a greatsword, kept getting whipped trying to swing. Said gently caress it and cracked out my estoc, loaded up with fire resist gear and flash sweat. poked that bitch to death

Those people also refuse to adapt their weapons or learn their weapons move set. Even a great sword or ultra great sword will have moves that can be used against enemies that don't let you get off slower attacks. My first playthrough of this game was done almost exclusively using UGS and it was embarrassingly easy in most regards once I realized which moves let me super armor through attacks.

Anyway, I'm watching the "This is How you Don't Play Dark Souls 3" video because I didn't even know that one existed and oh man. I've never seen anyone die to wolnir before. How is someone so bad at this game but so insistent that they play it?

Play it cool
Feb 2, 2016

Willfrey posted:

Nuebot posted:

Those people also refuse to adapt their weapons or learn their weapons move set. Even a great sword or ultra great sword will have moves that can be used against enemies that don't let you get off slower attacks. My first playthrough of this game was done almost exclusively using UGS and it was embarrassingly easy in most regards once I realized which moves let me super armor through attacks.

Anyway, I'm watching the "This is How you Don't Play Dark Souls 3" video because I didn't even know that one existed and oh man. I've never seen anyone die to wolnir before. How is someone so bad at this game but so insistent that they play it?
1V1 me, tough guys.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Play it cool posted:

1V1 me, tough guys.

I would but I'm out of soapstone

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

EDIT: Also, guys, sorry, but I have to lol at the assumption that any throne room is automatically Firelink Shrine That's an impressive reach.

mary had a little clam posted:

The lore implications are just tantalizing enough to ponder but unrevealed enough to bother me that we'll never know. Where did the Gael fight take place? It looked like some sort of old throne room. Was that just kind of a generic throne room of the last pygmy lords? Something about the time shift way forward to the last of the dying pygmy lords is really creepy. Like, you get the feeling a LOT of poo poo happened that no one will ever know. I like that about this series.

I actually kinda like the idea that every lord/king/chosen had their own shrine for their own linking of the fire, and the ash in the kiln of the first flame/throne of want/desert is the ash of so many linkings, the ashes of so many undead sacrificed to the fire that it's been piling up and covering the world.

hampig fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Mar 31, 2017

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
The trick to Midir is realizing that the fight is a game of smacking him in the face once (twice if you're lucky and he isn't already launching into another attack) and the running between his legs and towards his tail. 80% of the time, he'll do a combo ending in his fire breath. If you're near the tip of his tail, you're just out of range of it. Get a few free hits on the tail, he'll probably do his pathetically easy to dodge tail swipe since its his only attack that hits behind him. At this point, he will have conveniently swung his head back around into position to be bopped on the nose again. Rinse, repeat. It's super easy to do the fight and not get hit even once. It doesn't take as long as you'd think either as long as you wrack up extra hits on the tail when you can't reach his head.

Edit: Yakkety sax was playing in my head the whole time I fought him. He committed the classic blunder of huge things everywhere: enough space to run underneath him and slow reaction times.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
getting invaded in the first area of ringed city is hilarious. i wish I'd thought to giant seed though but I just suicided immediately once the dude ran away behind a million archers after getting a fume sword to the face

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I somehow beat midir by myself and I completely ran out of Estus when he reached 40% hp but I still haven't beaten the final story boss for some reason

The weapon from Midir's soul is peak anime and I love it

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I found Midir a lot easier when rolling backwards rather than towards or through his attacks - less wrestling with the camera, less open to his combo attacks.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

mastershakeman posted:

getting invaded in the first area of ringed city is hilarious. i wish I'd thought to giant seed though but I just suicided immediately once the dude ran away behind a million archers after getting a fume sword to the face

I maxed out mounds and fingers invading in earthen peak and just standing around for a minute. Often the host dies while I'm still loading in.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

il serpente cosmico posted:

I haven't finished it yet, but I feel like I've already run into a good amount of annoying bullshit. The angels were a pointless pain in the rear end, and the same goes for the bridge with the archer summoner. Also, why the hell did the devs make Zoey endlessly chug estus? I get enough of that in PVP, and it added the annoying step of going back to the shrine bonfire to pick up some undead charms. Why not just give her some more HP or maybe limit her chugs to 2-3 and call it a day? For as much as people complain about fighting chuggers, I'm wondering if FROM is trolling their fanbase.

The first boss wasn't especially difficult, as I got it on my third try, but it wasn't good enough to warrant its length and it had some annoying camera issues. The large AOE pyromancies felt bullshit and random. I think I have an aversion to boss fights that don't end when you get the health bar all the way down.

As much as I loved DS3, I was pretty lukewarm on the first DLC and the second one is also shaping up to be disappointing to me. I love the setting and lore, but playing it has been an annoying slog.

Zoey has two, three Estus limit tops. I've never seen her heal more than that.

I guess I also strongly disagree on the first boss, I'm not sure I'd ever solo it but it's a pretty great encounter that plays like how the Old Demon King probably should've played.

Lt Jon Kavanaugh posted:

Dragon boss owned and I'm not sure why you hate the series' only swamp that doesn't slow you down or poison you.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

All invaders in this dlc heal three times, have hyper armor when healing, and heal more than you do when using it. Just assume they have three or so health bars, basically.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I staggered Zoey the first time she tried to heal and murked her after the second time because it didn't heal her enough to survive a charged up 2H great club :shrug:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

All invaders in this dlc heal three times, have hyper armor when healing, and heal more than you do when using it. Just assume they have three or so health bars, basically.

Also don't even try using spells on them because they can dodge everything frame-perfectly :negative: Compared to DS2's hilariously invaders, these invaders just feel artificially difficult and unfun.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I staggered Zoey the first time she tried to heal and murked her after the second time because it didn't heal her enough to survive a charged up 2H great club :shrug:

Same. Club too strong

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

hanales posted:

I maxed out mounds and fingers invading in earthen peak and just standing around for a minute. Often the host dies while I'm still loading in.

Not surprising. I'd actually forgotten about the ember mechanic after playing BB for the first time, and was wondering how come no one was invading me :( Would've made the demon prince easier with the bit of health - his big meteor thing kept one shotting me until I figured out when to roll back out

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Same. Club too strong

I suspect when I respec out of pyro life will be much, much easier for me. I plan on using the doors and the twin greatswords.

quote:

Also don't even try using spells on them because they can dodge everything frame-perfectly Compared to DS2's hilariously invaders, these invaders just feel artificially difficult and unfun.

I didn't have a problem with Zoey or the catacombs dude but Shira was an rear end in a top hat. I knew what was coming after BB though.

quote:

Not surprising. I'd actually forgotten about the ember mechanic after playing BB for the first time, and was wondering how come no one was invading me Would've made the demon prince easier with the bit of health - his big meteor thing kept one shotting me until I figured out when to roll back out

What DID catch me off guard is that the npc invasions can happen when you're hollow. That's nice! It sort of sucks missing out on them because you didn't think to pop an ember.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 31, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

At least pyro doesn't need to go past the demon prince

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

same but with one-handed greatsword