Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Soul Glo posted:

Saw this earlier today and took a crack at Abzan, and here's what I came up with for an Aggro list:

4 Thraben Inspector
4 Winding Constrictor
4 Servant of the Conduit
3 Solemn Recruit
4 Tireless Tracker
3 Verdurous Gearhulk
3 Walking Ballista

4 Attune with Aether
4 Fatal Push
3 Gideon

4 Concealed Courtyard
4 Blooming Marsh
4 Aether Hub
6 Plains
5 Forest
1 Swamp

I'd run a 4th Gideon if I had a 4th. For a SB I could see Ruinous Path, To the Slaughter, Fragmentize.

I hosed with Solemn Recruit in a WB list last week and found it to be Good, and with the synergy of SR + snake + clues, could see it popping off and taking over a board before Ballista or Gearhulk show up.

I don't think Servant and Attune do enough in this beyond help you cast Gideon, and I'd probably just run some number of Anguished Unmaking. Sure, it sucks against aggro, but its generically good against most things you aren't expecting. I also think that 4 Push in a deck with 0 things to enable Push isn't right.

I mean, Gideon is generically powerful, but I don't think he's a good enough reason to run white in a deck that already plays huge creatures, and some of those creatures choices are weird when you can just play Rishkar.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Mar 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't think Servant and Attune do enough in this beyond help you cast Gideon, and I'd probably just run some number of Anguished Unmaking. Sure, it sucks against aggro, but its generically good against most things you aren't expecting. I also think that 4 Push in a deck with 0 things to enable Push isn't right.

I mean, Gideon is generically powerful, but I don't think he's a good enough reason to run white in a deck that already plays huge creatures, and some of those creatures choices are weird when you can just play Rishkar.

Clues getting cracked enable Push (and Solemn Recruit), my dude. Anguished Unmaking would be in the SB for poo poo bigger than 4 cmc though.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Mar 31, 2017

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
https://twitter.com/samstod/status/847689351760723970

Land cycle? (Cycling lands? :pray:)

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Fetchlands incoming :v:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

It's almost certainly the gods.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Mikujin posted:

I think they'd want to tease them out one by one, but maybe.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It's a cycle of French Vanilla bears.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Soul Glo posted:

Clues getting cracked enable Push (and Solemn Recruit), my dude. Anguished Unmaking would be in the SB for poo poo bigger than 4 cmc though.

I think that interaction is less powerful than you think it is.

Mikujin posted:

It's far more likely a cycle of dual lands.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
They don't preview splashy cards in development articles, lands seems right

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

A cycle of five bad instant removal spells, but they're Traps in addition to being traps.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Siivola posted:

A cycle of five bad instant removal spells, but they're Traps in addition to being traps.

God, I fell for the white one so hard. So many flyers...

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Fetchlands that you pay (1) for instead of 1 life.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

its me glenda posted:

Fetchlands that you pay (1) for instead of 1 life.

Worse Panoramas?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Duals with basic land cycling for each type? i.e. UW has Plains and Island cycling.

e:

The cost could even be a hybrid cost to prevent easy splashing and 4-5 color mana bases being too easy to have. Pay (U/W), Discard this Card: Search up a Plains or Island.

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 31, 2017

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

ThePeavstenator posted:

Duals with basic land cycling for each type? i.e. UW has Plains and Island cycling.

This would be insanely good

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ThePeavstenator posted:

e:

The cost could even be a hybrid cost to prevent easy splashing and 4-5 color mana bases being too easy to have. Pay (U/W), Discard this Card: Search up a Plains or Island.

They'd have to bring back hybrid mana for the set as a whole, I don't think they'd do it just for one land cycle.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

ThePeavstenator posted:

e:

i really really like this

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

C-Euro posted:

They'd have to bring back hybrid mana for the set as a whole, I don't think they'd do it just for one land cycle.

Or just put 'W or U' as the cost

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

C-Euro posted:

they did it for the great khans cycle in Fate Reforged

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

ThePeavstenator posted:

e:

U, Sac: Search and play a plains
W, Sac: Search and play a island
1, Sac: Search and play a plains or island tapped

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

C-Euro posted:

They did it in ARB for two cycles, I don't see why they couldn't here.

Guildgates with <landtype> cycling would be a pretty nice dual cycle, especially if it doesn't specify basic so you can get Bofas.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

C-Euro posted:

how soon we forget fate reforged

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
I thought hybrid was basically evergreen. It's not really a mechanic.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I'm glad we're back in spoiler season.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

It's kind of half a mechanic. If they have a flavorful reason they'll use it like Khans or ARB but probably wouldn't just shove it on a land cycle.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Cycling Dual lands! Someone called it~

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Well poo poo, I whiffed on that one.

A dual that you can either bring into play tapped or turn into a basic of one of its two colors would be sweet. Since we're in fake Egypt I think they should finish out the River of Tears cycle but I'm in denial that they'll ever fill out any of those cycles besides the Grave Cairns one.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

He is running too many lands with the 4 attunes if his highest cost is 5.

I've been enjoying Abzan, because Gideon really is that good, Sorin is a pet card, and Fumigate out of the board wrecks G/B. It plays like G/W tokens combined with Snakes.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

I thought hybrid was basically evergreen. It's not really a mechanic.

the exact term they use is deciduous, for mechanics that are usable whenever they need them but aren't in every set

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/140780571413/why-isnt-hybrid-mana-cost-an-evergreen-mechanic

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

They can even be fetched. Good cards.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sickening posted:

Hoooleee shiiit?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i was expecting a much more restrictive cycling cost so that's cool

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Not sure what to DO with that, but hey.

EDIT: made it an imgur pic because SA and Magiccards.info

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Sickening posted:

Well dang, those seem good. Glad I picked up Life from the Loams already.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
well this owns

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Serperoth posted:

EDH loves fetchable lands?

Honestly, I think there might be "If you control an X" cards in this set now.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Wow I feel like those will go places in Modern

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Serperoth posted:

There is a (very fringe) Aggro Loam deck in Modern that uses this + Valakut as a finisher. Deck probably wants to run the RG cycling lands.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Cycling is better/worse than Scry? I really like these!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's nice with the Gitgud toad too.

• Locked thread