Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Candice seems like she hates everybody, at least from the season I saw her on and what people have posted from her itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

ApplesandOranges posted:

How dare you forget the proud tribe names that were Nobag and Enil Edam.

Also just realized last night that four of the first five boots were white guys. It's like the reverse MvG.

Don't forget Merica.

What was the dumb merge tribe name Erik conned them into during FvF, again?

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Propaganda Machine posted:

Don't forget Merica.

What was the dumb merge tribe name Erik conned them into during FvF, again?

Dabu, I think.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Boston Rob has the best tribe name of all time due to be the first one to make up some dumb bullshit a

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

blue squares posted:

Boston Rob has the best tribe name of all time due to be the first one to make up some dumb bullshit a

Murlonio was the best.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It's all dumb bullshit. Boston Rob just intentionally made it bullshit instead of thinking it was deep or witty.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

STAC Goat posted:

I legitimately never retain any tribe names. Like even mid-episode. I just can't bring myself to care, it seems.

Nuku has stuck with me cause a tribe name you associate with meltdowns seems appropriate for Survivor

Max
Nov 30, 2002

My favorite is still Dabu.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

savinhill posted:

Candice seems like she hates everybody, at least from the season I saw her on and what people have posted from her itt

Candice thinks she's way better at the game than she actually is. Seems like that "Everyone sucks" personality might be part of it.

I can understand a bit of bitterness from her considering how her last-minute spot on BvW turned out so hilariously poorly, but still.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's funny because in her first two seasons, Candice's flips ended up causing more trouble than she was worth - the Aitu 4 destroyed everyone else in Cook Islands, and Candice's flip in HvV sealed the Heroes' fate in HvV since Sandra was going to flip on the Villians, but she gave up once Candice flipped. So she doesn't really have a high ground to talk down to J.T.

I don't blame her tribe for ousting her first in BvW. She's not exactly the most reliable ally.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
by my count, that was Sandra's 30th tribal council across 3 seasons. She has received 5 votes against her total and 4 of them were just for other people in final tribals.

gently caress you, HvV Sad Sack Colby.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

HvV Colby sucked extremely and one of the most tired things for me is the superfan apologism he gets where people say he had a great story and arc but got screwed by editing.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Fun fact: Ozzy is the same age now as Colby was during Heroes vs Villains

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
That was a perfect moment.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Fun fact: Ozzy is the same age now as Colby was during Heroes vs Villains

I was really holding out hope for an Old Man Ozzy storyline this season and am pretty sad we didn't get it

Kataphract
Oct 15, 2015
You gotta love JT's cluelessness. Michaela's greatest failing is she freaks and lashes out when she feels threatened, to her own detriment. Yet here was a tribal council where JT was openly instigating against her and Michaela has suddenly listened to Samuel L Jackson's advice and is as cool as Fonzie. Right there alarm bells should have been going off. If he had listened closer, Sandra and Varner both *appeared* to agree with him, but actually left the door open. just some bad play on his part two councils in a row.

Contrast that with Sandra's classic stirring up trouble. Burn the hat? Take the sugar! Let someone else take the blame, and sit back and try hard to not openly laugh. One wonders if openly bragging about it will bring her down in the end, but for the moment, she is pure Survivor gold.

Debbie. Always felt she was a little disturbed. Let me change that to a lot disturbed, as in this is uncomfortable, you need to seek professional help. During the challenge, she did her level best to be a distraction - can't wait for her to be gone.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Poque posted:

by my count, that was Sandra's 30th tribal council across 3 seasons. She has received 5 votes against her total and 4 of them were just for other people in final tribals.

gently caress you, HvV Sad Sack Colby.

At this point I can't decide whether I want the final outcome to be her somehow, somehow making it to FTC a third time, or if her serving on a jury would be Eliza levels of fantastic.

Either way, as long as she doesn't turn into a bitter baby on the jury, I find it hard to imagine a way where any exit she makes won't be satisfying.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Debbie was fun in Kaoh Rong. She isn't fun here.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

fun hypothetical time: if sandra makes it to the end is there anyone who beats her? maybe brad? and even that feels like a stretch.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

also im getting real Final Two vibes from this season.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
We still have most of the game ahead of us without a start at the jury.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Debbie apparently taking a break from yelling to do pushups while everyone watches is what really puts that whole sequence over the top for me.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fast Luck posted:

HvV Colby sucked extremely and one of the most tired things for me is the superfan apologism he gets where people say he had a great story and arc but got screwed by editing.

I thought that the entire reason Colby had a fun narrative is because he went from being a Survivor Beast to being a dad with bad knees and he spent that season openly coming to terms with it. Like him sucking is what made it fun.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

colby getting manhandled by coach is probably one of the coolest moments in survivor

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

STAC Goat posted:

I thought that the entire reason Colby had a fun narrative is because he went from being a Survivor Beast to being a dad with bad knees and he spent that season openly coming to terms with it. Like him sucking is what made it fun.
Yeah he got physically dominated by Coach, he sat there watching TV as Amanda and Danielle fought over a game altering HII, he was trash. A lot of people say "he made it the furthest of any of the Heroes - 5th place, close to the end! - and his relationship with Jerri was one of the best stories of the season." But he made it that deep because he was completely checked out, and he even said in interviews afterward that he wasn't having fun and didn't play hard (because they didn't have as much space to explore).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm hoping Sandra/Michaela/Varner stick together. The trio have a very solid level of sass and subterfuge. In a fun way too, not like Scot/Jason "let's hide the machete because we're sour lemons".

its me glenda posted:

fun hypothetical time: if sandra makes it to the end is there anyone who beats her? maybe brad? and even that feels like a stretch.

It's way too early to tell at this point. I could actually see Brad beating her, he's had a very good storyline so far, and if Nuku keeps their majority going into the merge he'll have a good number of friends on the jury.

As much as I'd like Varner to win, he's not exactly a star player. But you never know, some players' games don't really kick off til the merge, and him finally making it to the jury phase might shift him into 'let's play' mode.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
if I had to place any money on someone winning now, the show SEEMS to be building up a narrative for Brad. I could be wrong, but he's been shown very positively, and also as in control as anyone in this game besides Sandra. and he's still not a big threat. despite now being the second-most physically fit man left in the game.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm hoping Sandra/Michaela/Varner stick together. The trio have a very solid level of sass and subterfuge. In a fun way too, not like Scot/Jason "let's hide the machete because we're sour lemons".

I actually kind of agree with this comment. Sandra is funny but kind of meh for me, but I think it'd be interesting watching those three work together. Varner just completely let the whole thing play out with a big old smile on his face.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

blue squares posted:

Anyone planning on watching Amazing Race tonight? I like the fact that all the teams are strangers before the race

Thanks for this heads up. I got into Amazing Race before Survivor, but got incredibly sick of all the team based stunt casting and haven't watched for a couple of years. More hopeful after this first episode than in a handful of seasons.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
My all-time favorite alliance was Rob/Tyson/Sandra/Courtney from HvV because I find all four of them really funny. It's crazy to think that that alliance had 4 wins between it.

I approve of Sandra/Michaela/Jeff and hope they end up ruling things.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eh, I'm not much of a Varner fan, but I also think he won't stick with Sandra for long. I don't even think he's really with Sandra at all. He just decided that he rather have Michaela around than JT for whatever reason. Varner seems like one of those players who can't stop tinkering and eventually blows up his game. There's no way he'll be content running alongside Sandra.

You can't know who will win this early (unless you subscribe to that edit reading crap). It all comes down to how people get treated and how things break. There's no telling who pisses off who and who gets seen as the powerbrokers. Sandra's advantages are that she seems well liked and everyone seems to take it on faith that she's a super smart player. But she could easily rub people wrong down the road.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I think Sandra is screwed because she has TWO big targets on her. First, she is your standard "player in control" that people always like to gun for. But second, and even if she were just floating, she would still have a target because people want to claim credit for eliminating the only two-time winner in Survivor history.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, she started the game behind the 8 ball like Hatch in All Stars. Every week she survives just adds to her legend.

I'd say the only other players with even close to the same kind of burden on them coming in are Tony, Cirie, and maybe Ozzy.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

blue squares posted:

I think Sandra is screwed because she has TWO big targets on her. First, she is your standard "player in control" that people always like to gun for. But second, and even if she were just floating, she would still have a target because people want to claim credit for eliminating the only two-time winner in Survivor history.

Is Varner our Jamie Lannister?

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Nexal posted:

Is Varner our Jamie Lannister?

I see him more as Varys.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

STAC Goat posted:

Eh, I'm not much of a Varner fan, but I also think he won't stick with Sandra for long. I don't even think he's really with Sandra at all. He just decided that he rather have Michaela around than JT for whatever reason. Varner seems like one of those players who can't stop tinkering and eventually blows up his game. There's no way he'll be content running alongside Sandra.

You can't know who will win this early (unless you subscribe to that edit reading crap). It all comes down to how people get treated and how things break. There's no telling who pisses off who and who gets seen as the powerbrokers. Sandra's advantages are that she seems well liked and everyone seems to take it on faith that she's a super smart player. But she could easily rub people wrong down the road.

Michaela is probably his new Abi-Maria - she might be a little abrasive, but she's also a good shield and, depending on how much she annoys people, could be out-talked at the end. I think Michaela is too proactive of a player to be considered a goat, but if there's one thing Varner can do, it's talk.

I think the season is off to a decent start so far, but it's still early days. All returnee seasons tend to either be really good or really bad.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I just did a rewatch of tocantins. Part of why jt won was heavily due to him being more of a listener than a schemer, he was also benefitting from being a swing vote post merge to an imploding timbira tribe and being the 2nd in command on his tribe as a leader (to joe). He played a good, not great game amd benefited from being next to stephen while he had one of the worst final tribal council performances ever. What made his social game so strong was just being quiet and listening to what people had to say. He brought none of this with him in his next two seasons.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I disagree with the goat. Varner and Sandra are in lock step. There's no way she giggles to him while she eats the sugar unless she knows he's solid. Sandra's no dummy. You have to be very very tight in survivor to let somebody see you stealing food and get away with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I'm taking a lazy Sunday and rewatching early Australia episodes to try and get a handle on Varner, and oh my goodness. He was a cutie back in the day :3:

This aired when I was 14, and I don't think I've seen it since. Who knew Elisabeth Filarski would become so much?

• Locked thread