Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

I think Crystal Kingdom's biggest issue was its pacing. I liked the content and still enjoyed it a lot, but that made it my least favorite arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Stroop There It Is posted:

Just the current campaign. Next they'll probably do some one-shots, and Clint has said he wants to run a superhero game.

That's why hat I figured they will will do. Play a bunch of one shots till they found something that clicks the same way Balance did.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Tears In A Vial posted:

I zone out whenever Griffin goes on long monologues about how they're sorry for being racist cause they named latino characters Taako and Chalupa, even though they're not latino, or whatever. That whole thing was dumb. McElroy fans are still the worst part about being a McElroy fan.

I did kind of laugh at the idea of some hypothetical person hearing the "name" Taako, assuming that it meant the character was from elf-Latin America, then proceeding to get mad when a second Tex-Mex elf shows up.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Tears In A Vial posted:

I zone out whenever Griffin goes on long monologues about how they're sorry for being racist cause they named latino characters Taako and Chalupa, even though they're not latino, or whatever. That whole thing was dumb. McElroy fans are still the worst part about being a McElroy fan.

That whole part did seem to be a big long "Please don't yell at us, Tumblr, please"

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
I enjoyed Dr Pete Loomis drinking his bean soup while the world burned
https://twitter.com/KateDrawsComics/status/847817706187501572

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Poque posted:

Geez, I thought Eleventh Hour was without question the best arc of the entire series and Crystal Kingdom the worst.

Eleventh Hour is one of my favourites too, and least favourite is probably Pedals which I know a lot of people really like - it just feels disjointed and really long. I'm in it for the story and fight scenes bore the hell out of me

Serf
May 5, 2011

We've come a long way since that bonus episode where Justin calls Travis' wedding planning "faggy" huh.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

The Schwa posted:

Eleventh Hour is one of my favourites too, and least favourite is probably Pedals which I know a lot of people really like - it just feels disjointed and really long. I'm in it for the story and fight scenes bore the hell out of me

I like Petals but definitely agree that it's too long. Especially since that's when I was finally caught up with the podcast and suddenly had to wait two weeks for new episodes. I'm enjoying it more now on a re-listen.

I'd probably rank them...
Eleventh Hour
Rockport Limited
Petals to the Metal
Suffering Game
Gerblins
Crystal Kingdom

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

don't get me wrong, the eleventh hour is definitely better than the crystal kingdom, it's just that by the time I finished the eleventh hour I kind of realized that I just wasn't enjoying the podcast as much as I had been in the past. The final ep was good, but the part where he went one on one with the others to try and... get them to take the chalice? Despite the fact that, it being a game, no one would actually choose to do that and ruin everything? I just kind of realized that, oh, they're not really trying to be funny with this anymore.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
TAZ is the most popular McElroy show right?

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Poque posted:

I'd probably rank them...
Eleventh Hour
Rockport Limited
Petals to the Metal
Suffering Game
Gerblins
Crystal Kingdom
Same! :monocle:

Waffleman_ posted:

That whole part did seem to be a big long "Please don't yell at us, Tumblr, please"
Twitter is way worse and much louder than Tumblr at this point. Also I appreciate that they are legitimately taking people's concerns into account without begging for forgiveness. It annoys me that people complain about some of the things they do--like recently I saw someone bitching about Griffin and Rachel using the phrase "throwing shade" as terrible ~cultural appropriation~, so I'm impressed that the McElroys have totally refrained from being dismissive even when this poo poo is ridiculous.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Drunkboxer posted:

TAZ is the most popular McElroy show right?

I would think it'd be MBMBam, no?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Crocoswine posted:

don't get me wrong, the eleventh hour is definitely better than the crystal kingdom, it's just that by the time I finished the eleventh hour I kind of realized that I just wasn't enjoying the podcast as much as I had been in the past. The final ep was good, but the part where he went one on one with the others to try and... get them to take the chalice? Despite the fact that, it being a game, no one would actually choose to do that and ruin everything? I just kind of realized that, oh, they're not really trying to be funny with this anymore.

I'll agree that Griffin entirely misread his players on that one. There was no real tension to them being offered the choice, as none of them were going to take it, from my POV.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

I would think it'd be MBMBam, no?

I would have guessed that but I thought I read TAZ was somewhere, but I can't find it now.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

VanSandman posted:

I'll agree that Griffin entirely misread his players on that one. There was no real tension to them being offered the choice, as none of them were going to take it, from my POV.

The problem with that sort of was that Travis was the only one to put real effort into his character's backstory, so was the only one that could truly be tempted in-fiction. Merle and Taako have never really had any strongly held convictions, while Magnus does. It was a concept that could've been interesting, but was sort of a wet fart due to... I don't want to necessarily say lack of imagination of Justin or Clint's part, but something close to it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I think Travis rejecting the Chalice's offer was probably the most emotional moment on the show so far. I never thought he'd take it, but hoo boy that whole part was brutal.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

oh my GODDDD I can't believe I never put it together that Angus was based on Matt Gourley's ghost kid from Superego. That loving rules

20:15 in if you want to hear it, or this if you want to see it but not set on a train. take my clammy, diaphanous hand, whatever that means.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

SpacePig posted:

The problem with that sort of was that Travis was the only one to put real effort into his character's backstory, so was the only one that could truly be tempted in-fiction. Merle and Taako have never really had any strongly held convictions, while Magnus does. It was a concept that could've been interesting, but was sort of a wet fart due to... I don't want to necessarily say lack of imagination of Justin or Clint's part, but something close to it.

I would definitely attribute this to Merle, because he was just starting to come together as a character at this point. His offer was pretty weak, and stuff we discover later would have made a much better hook ("You don't have to be forced into a sham marriage and become a deadbeat dad").

Taako's rejection I kind of expected, but was also completely in character. The guy's always been dismissive of stuff, and all the plot leading up to it made sense.

I really Magnus to take it, but honestly I had the inverse expectation of Griffin: That despite being insanely tempting Magnus would find a reason to say no, which he did. I really want to see them play out the alternate universe where Magnus says yes now.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

VanSandman posted:

Yeah I agree. Griffin was asking for a level of role playing there that was frankly kind of impossible. If I were any one of the THB in that scenario I'd be trying to think about what my character would do in that situation, but in the back of my head I'd also be thinking "So...am I going to break the pod if I do this?" and "What are the fans going to say, what's this going to do to Merle's/Magnus'/Taako's popularity?"

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Serf posted:

I think Travis rejecting the Chalice's offer was probably the most emotional moment on the show so far. I never thought he'd take it, but hoo boy that whole part was brutal.

Oh, absolutely, but only because Travis put so much work into giving his character a backstory. You could say that it comes down to Merle and Taako living without regrets, but Taako did have a real choice to make. Problem was, Taako's a silly boy, and it was funnier to just absolve himself from his assumed sin rather than go back and maybe save those people. It's funny, but it's not particularly interesting from a storytelling perspective.

e:

Undead Hippo posted:

I think you're wrong.

The first arc is about 9 hours of radio, and it's really uneven. The quality level in Rockport Limited is much more consistent throughout.You seem to be coming at this from the perspective of a fan. I don't think that's helpful in discussing when a person should jump onto the show. Somebody trying to work out if they should spend their time listening to a very long form piece of entertainment is not going to want to see "The first hint of the developing metaplot!". They want good jokes and interesting situations. The first arc is pretty light on that.

It's still semi-important as a setup tool for the Bureau of Balance and the multiple times they reference the Fandolin tragedy, and the big reveal at the end of The Suffering Game doesn't do much if you haven't heard the beginning. I won't say that it's necessarily required listening, but I do think it's a good idea to listen to it.

For context: I'm also someone who recommends suffering through the first seasons of Parks and Rec because it's not entirely awful, and makes you appreciate how good of a show it became.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 31, 2017

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

purple death ray posted:

This? This is bad advice.

I think you're wrong.

The first arc is about 9 hours of radio, and it's really uneven. The quality level in Rockport Limited is much more consistent throughout.You seem to be coming at this from the perspective of a fan. I don't think that's helpful in discussing when a person should jump onto the show. Somebody trying to work out if they should spend their time listening to a very long form piece of entertainment is not going to want to see "The first hint of the developing metaplot!". They want good jokes and interesting situations. The first arc is pretty light on that.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Mikey Purp posted:

Yeah I agree. Griffin was asking for a level of role playing there that was frankly kind of impossible. If I were any one of the THB in that scenario I'd be trying to think about what my character would do in that situation, but in the back of my head I'd also be thinking "So...am I going to break the pod if I do this?" and "What are the fans going to say, what's this going to do to Merle's/Magnus'/Taako's popularity?"

In Travis's position, I would fully expect that if I said yes, the DM would say "Hand over your character sheet, and now Magnus is the new villain."

And it would be awesome .

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Undead Hippo posted:

I think you're wrong.

The first arc had the jizz caves, the mushrooms and the constant con saving throws, Yeemik and Klaarg, Barry Bluejeans, Magic Brian, the dwarf blood map... The whole thing with Klaarg getting charmed is still one of the funniest parts. Taako magic missling Brian on his way down. You're also telling people to skip the lunar interlude that introduced the entire story, the director, Johan, Davenport, etc. That's pretty dang important. The fantasy gashapon machine? I can't remember if Garfield the Deals Warlock is in the first one or not but if he is, no way would I advise someone to skip it.

Agree that Rockport is still overall the best arc but much like mbmbam itself Taz is great from the beginning and has the benefits of the ongoing story and there's actually a lot of that stuff in the first arc and the lunar interlude.

Serf
May 5, 2011

SpacePig posted:

Oh, absolutely, but only because Travis put so much work into giving his character a backstory. You could say that it comes down to Merle and Taako living without regrets, but Taako did have a real choice to make. Problem was, Taako's a silly boy, and it was funnier to just absolve himself from his assumed sin rather than go back and maybe save those people. It's funny, but it's not particularly interesting from a storytelling perspective.

Oh no doubt. Merle and Taako didn't really have very strong story hooks, so Griffin didn't have that much to work with. But Travis gave him something to work with and Griffin pulled at the heartstrings with it very well. When he has the material, he is easily as good as Austin Walker at screwing with his players emotionally.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

purple death ray posted:

The first arc had the jizz caves, the mushrooms and the constant con saving throws, Yeemik and Klaarg, Barry Bluejeans, Magic Brian, the dwarf blood map... The whole thing with Klaarg getting charmed is still one of the funniest parts. Taako magic missling Brian on his way down. You're also telling people to skip the lunar interlude that introduced the entire story, the director, Johan, Davenport, etc. That's pretty dang important. The fantasy gashapon machine? I can't remember if Garfield the Deals Warlock is in the first one or not but if he is, no way would I advise someone to skip it.

Agree that Rockport is still overall the best arc but much like mbmbam itself Taz is great from the beginning and has the benefits of the ongoing story and there's actually a lot of that stuff in the first arc and the lunar interlude.

Yeah agreed, and all of the great payoff we're getting now would make basically no sense if you skipped the first arc. It's a very bad and wrong idea, sorry guy

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Telling someone to miss out on Magic Brian and ABRA CA-gently caress YOU is a heinous loving crime.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Kojiro posted:

Yeah agreed, and all of the great payoff we're getting now would make basically no sense if you skipped the first arc. It's a very bad and wrong idea, sorry guy

I said "don't do it first", not "skip it entirely".

quote:

This is all stuff that is not important to "Murder on the Rockport Limited". Rockport Limited is almost a bottle episode, it's really self contained.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
The first episodes are still pretty entertaining, they're not hard at all to get through. Just listen to it in order.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Undead Hippo posted:

Why would you skip it just to come back to it? Listening to something that improves over it will only hamper the experience, I think. Just listen in order, it's not that long of an arc. They even have a trimmed Episode 1 that takes out all of the character creation stuff.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Undead Hippo posted:

This is all stuff that is not important to "Murder on the Rockport Limited". Rockport Limited is almost a bottle episode, it's really self contained.

I'd have to go back and check but I don't think the question was about the most efficient way to listen to Murder on the Rockport Limited, it was about the show as a whole, yeah?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Like, remember how Fox aired the 3rd or something episode Firefly first because the first episode in the series was long and kind of boring? But the first episode sets up who everyone is and how they came together and what everyone's role on the ship is, and having it be put 3 or 4 episodes into the run made it make less sense, and boring by comparison to the train heists and such we'd had by that point. It was a stupid thing to do.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Drunkboxer posted:

I did kind of laugh at the idea of some hypothetical person hearing the "name" Taako, assuming that it meant the character was from elf-Latin America, then proceeding to get mad when a second Tex-Mex elf shows up.

I love how much the McElroys do their best to be inclusive and respectful of everyone in their audience, but I had the same reaction. I know Griffin was talking about not wanting to be lovely and say "if you're offended, it's on you", but I think in this situation it absolutely would be.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

purple death ray posted:

I'd have to go back and check but I don't think the question was about the most efficient way to listen to Murder on the Rockport Limited, it was about the show as a whole, yeah?

I'd summarize the question thusly-
q:"How can I see if this show is for me?"
My answer would be-
a:"By listening to one of the best bits and seeing if you enjoy it- here is what the best bit to listen to is, don't worry you don't need anything from earlier episodes to enjoy it"

I disagree with the answer that you're giving, which I'd summarize as this:
a"by listening to one of the worst bits, but don't worry it has some good moments still"

I don't think it's controversial to say that the show starts weakly. The boys themselves brought that up repeatedly in the most recent TTAZZ.

quote:

Why would you skip it just to come back to it? Listening to something that improves over it will only hamper the experience, I think. Just listen in order, it's not that long of an arc. They even have a trimmed Episode 1 that takes out all of the character creation stuff.

To give a fairer representation of the good aspects of the show, so as to not turn off prospective new listeners. Powering through the bad parts isn't fun.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Soup du Jour posted:

I love how much the McElroys do their best to be inclusive and respectful of everyone in their audience, but I had the same reaction. I know Griffin was talking about not wanting to be lovely and say "if you're offended, it's on you", but I think in this situation it absolutely would be.

Yeah I'm all for not being racist but come on man

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

lol I guess it's a good thing everyone suffered through those miserable bad parts when the show was just starting

Serf
May 5, 2011

I mean you can't say the McElroys don't know their fans.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
It's, like, 6 hours of perfectly acceptable improv comedy role playing. Calling it bad is a bit of an exaggeration, IMHO, but whatever. Use whatever you think is best to get your friends into it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Tears In A Vial posted:

One of the things I love most about the McElroys is that they are constantly trying to become better and kinder people. That's what made me try their podcasts again after bouncing off MBMBAM hard, the superb interview that came out recently.

In this case, Hispanic fans said, "Wow, you are hitting me in the face with a rock", Griffin said "Gosh, I never thought of that, but I hate hitting people, so I'll stop." He's got a moral code, and I appreciate that. See also Justin's recent admonition that fat Taako is just as good as thin Taako, and that this is a radio medium so people can make up their own drat headcanons.
https://twitter.com/JustinMcElroy/status/847258712997634052

This is the kind of stand-up guy (and family) I'm happy to listen to. It's like they're trying to be Mr. Rogers.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

One of the things I love most about the McElroys is that they are constantly trying to become better and kinder people. That's what made me try their podcasts again after bouncing off MBMBAM hard, the superb interview that came out recently.

In this case, Hispanic fans said, "Wow, you are hitting me in the face with a rock", Griffin said "Gosh, I never thought of that, but I hate hitting people, so I'll stop." He's got a moral code, and I appreciate that. See also Justin's recent admonition that fat Taako is just as good as thin Taako, and that this is a radio medium so people can make up their own drat headcanons.

This is the kind of stand-up guy (and family) I'm happy to listen to. It's like they're trying to be Mr. Rogers.

Mr. Rogers with dick and fart jokes is pretty much the McElroys in a nutshell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combaticus
Jan 14, 2008

Perfection

Dominance

Ultimate

Fighting

Biotechnology

Arsenic Lupin posted:

lol if you don't imagine taako as a pudgier justin with pointy ears