Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I found the only way I could do the puzzles was to use a disconnected JoyCon. They're pretty much 1:1 that way.

And wow, that patch seems to have majorly improved things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

andipossess posted:

Looks like we've got a video comparison of the framerate improvements between v1.1.0 and v1.1.1 (the new patch).

Warning, possible spoilers for graphically dense locations, but there's nothing very revealing in the video itself from what I could see. Still, stop about a minute and a half in if you want to avoid them entirely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRUFzGvngYk

Wow if they made the framerate consistent then that's one of the major problems with this game resolved.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Still seeing dropped frames running around Korok Forest in TV mode but it's definitely better.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yeah it's definitely improved. Still not flawless but definitely smoother.

I just found the rubber pants, between that and the sleeveless muscle tee from the climbing set, I'm basically crossfit Link.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

At it's best it runs worse than practically anything I've played in the last decade. I hit multiple spots tonight that ran at like 1 frame per second. At the same time idgaf it doesn't really affect the gameplay that much. The Wii U seems like a real piece of crap so I'm impressed they squeezed such an epic game onto it at all.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

veni veni veni posted:

At it's best it runs worse than practically anything I've played in the last decade. I hit multiple spots tonight that ran at like 1 frame per second. At the same time idgaf it doesn't really affect the gameplay that much. The Wii U seems like a real piece of crap so I'm impressed they squeezed such an epic game onto it at all.

... have you played many other games on WiiU? Basically everything that was made for the system runs great. I remember somebody did a count and the WiiU has more 1080p60fps games than PS4 did. Ports were a bit shite though due to the CPU being so different.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

veni veni veni posted:

what loving games were you playing? I had roughly 8 games and never experienced harsh FPS dips.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Dizz posted:

what loving games were you playing? I had roughly 8 games and never experienced harsh FPS dips.

My game (on Wii U) would briefly freeze after a moblin would rag doll.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

the truth posted:

Oh I wouldnt play this on a Wii-U. sorry.

One thing I noticed on Switch was that sometimes the game would just freeze time, as in Link could be running then out of nowhere he stops dead in his track for about 3 seconds but everything else was in motion [Water flowing, flames, foliage] and then continue like nothing happened. I believe it had something to do with being near the Castle.

Dizz fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Mar 31, 2017

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

the truth posted:

This is an issue that happens on Switch too, and for some reason it seems to be moblin-only. Probably has to do with an issue in the way they're constructed, like size, or joints, or whatever. Heck, who knows, maybe that got fixed in the patch too.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Speaking of issues with the game;

https://twitter.com/VinnyVinesauce/status/841714025578795008

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Dizz posted:

Oh I wouldnt play this on a Wii-U. sorry.

Lmfao ok

Played TP of GameCube and BoTW on Wii U and somehow managed to have a great time playing both games.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010
Is that patch coming for the WiiU version also?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

At it's best it runs worse than practically anything I've played in the last decade.

I played The Last Guardian so this ran like a dream in comparison.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

pooch516 posted:

Is that patch coming for the WiiU version also?

it's out

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

veni veni veni posted:

At it's best it runs worse than practically anything I've played in the last decade.

wow dude have you just, like, not bought any AAA games in the last decade?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Calaveron posted:

I cannot see how people are able to go back to 3D Zeldas after this one. They're all gross and linear and empty and dull.

This is a post from last night, but I didn't really have any trouble going back to Wind Waker after Breath of the Wild. It's just a different kind of game, and it's charming and fun and pretty enough that I'm not as bothered by the linearity as I otherwise might be. I think part of the reason I'm not really doing great with Twilight Princess is because it's not as different from Breath of the Wild in the kinds of things you do, so I'm more keenly aware of how limited it is in comparison; with Wind Waker, I'm sailing around and having a great, chill time.

veni veni veni posted:

Are you playing on Wii U? I did, and while I noticed plenty of frame drops, the only drops to like 1 fps happened with that rare moblin ragdoll bug, and that only happened to me twice.

I'm not about to claim this runs well, though. Every single town in the game reduces it to 20 fps on the Wii U and while 30 is totally fine, 20 fps is where it gets noticeable. I'm looking forward to playing again on the Switch and being able to walk into Kakariko Village without it going call Ocarina of Time on me.

andipossess posted:

Looks like we've got a video comparison of the framerate improvements between v1.1.0 and v1.1.1 (the new patch).

I wish they could patch 1080p support into the Switch version. I know they won't and it's probably not even remotely feasible at this point. But on paper, the Switch's specs should be able to do it, and I suspect the only reason it can't is that Breath of the Wild was a relatively rushed port to the Switch from the very different Wii U. (I'm not exactly a game developer, though, so it's possible I'm really wrong about that.)

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 31, 2017

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'll have a harder time going back to other open-world games rather than linear Zeldas.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

the truth posted:

Lmfao ok

Played TP of GameCube and BoTW on Wii U and somehow managed to have a great time playing both games.

I managed to word that awfully, I meant to say that I DIDN'T play it on WiiU, not that I wouldn't. Glad you liked TP though I enjoyed the heck out of that too. Never played SW though that game I skipped.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I just wanna know what the future of the BoTW Engine is gonna be. Is Nintendo going to license it out for other Switch Developers? Keep it a Nintendo only secret? Use it for another game in a couple of years? Or worst case release the DLC's and never use it again.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I suspect there's a little more work to do to make the BotW engine work the best that it can on Switch, but after that, I'd guess they'll use it for another Zelda game at least. So much work went into it and we're early enough into the Switch that I bet we'll see another Switch Zelda game.

Then again I thought we'd see a Wii U Zelda game and at this point BotW is so late that even though I played it on Wii U it's a Switch game in my mind.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Let someone remake Castlevania II with it.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I finished this two weeks ago. Has any cool stuff been unearthed since?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

snoremac posted:

I finished this two weeks ago. Has any cool stuff been unearthed since?
i finally managed to unearth my reeking nuts from the fetid boxers-swamp they've been stewing in during my shower-free zelda marathons

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

well why not posted:

I'll have a harder time going back to other open-world games rather than linear Zeldas.

Going from BotW to Nier Automata's "This giant hole in a building is more than big enough for you to walk into into but we invisible walled this one in particular so go gently caress yourself" was a trip, to be sure

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
It's kind of nice of the game not to trigger Blood Moons while you're in Hyrule Castle. If one comes up, the game will do the ambient effects and turn the sky red, but it won't play the cutscene or respawn anything. You'll get a Blood Moon the first night you spend outside of the castle though.

That one guy who got a Blood Moon during the Ganon fight had to have triggered a Glitch Moon, because it reset him outside the fight. Glitch Moons reset the game world completely, including your position in it, to the nearest "safe" place. In a normal Blood Moon, when the cutscene ends, you're exactly where you were, doing exactly what you were doing before. I've gotten a Blood Moon while using Magnesis to beat a Guardian to death, had the cutscene end, and came back still holding the box above the Guardian's head, its health exactly where I left it. A Glitch Moon while doing the same thing moved me back to the place where I "entered" the region and despawned the box completely. Glitch Moons can seemingly happen anywhere at any time, so I kind of want to know exactly what triggers them.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
I like the part in the Zelda where I forget what I'm doing but it's fine.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

grilldos posted:

I like the part in the Zelda where I forget what I'm doing but it's fine.

Something like 75% of my time played involved me saying "I should deal with Thing", picking up the game, playing for 6 hours straight and only realizing as I was putting it down that I never got anywhere near Thing.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

BexGu posted:

I just wanna know what the future of the BoTW Engine is gonna be. Is Nintendo going to license it out for other Switch Developers? Keep it a Nintendo only secret? Use it for another game in a couple of years? Or worst case release the DLC's and never use it again.

taken out back & shot, buried next to the FOX engine.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

BexGu posted:

Use it for another game in a couple of years?

Yeah they're gonna make a Metroid game with it hahahahaha

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

No joke I hope they do a weirdo experimental followup like Majora's Mask. Someone in this thread suggested a built-up urban environment rather than the wilderness and I kinda vibe with it. Loads of races and cultures all smashed together in a bizzarro Hyrule shadowrun world would be amazing.

Actually, is Odyessy on the same engine? I know Mario 64 + the 64 Zeldas share DNA, I wonder if that's the case now.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If they use it again, it'll be for another Zelda game, either something that reuses a lot of BotW's assets (Majora's Mask-style) or the big Switch-native Zelda game that they're inevitably going to make at some point. (Whether it actually comes out before the next Nintendo console comes out probably depends on how well the Switch does long-term and whether Nintendo feels pushed to release something new really quickly or not.)

well why not posted:

No joke I hope they do a weirdo experimental followup like Majora's Mask. Someone in this thread suggested a built-up urban environment rather than the wilderness and I kinda vibe with it. Loads of races and cultures all smashed together in a bizzarro Hyrule shadowrun world would be amazing.

Urban Zelda would be cool as poo poo. I've posted about it here before but I'm sure someone else has, too. Set it during the high-tech Sheikah civilization that made the Guardians and Divine Beasts, maybe like 100-200 years before their own showdown with Ganon so that it can be about something else. Just drown the player in magitech.

Actually, since it'd be a spin-off and wouldn't necessarily be beholden to the main-line rules of "must always contain Link, Zelda, and some form of Ganon/Ganondorf/Demise," it'd be rad as hell if Zelda was the playable character and we had a cool gadgeteer Zelda, like a version of BotW Zelda who was allowed to do what she wanted. After all, there's no Ganon or Zelda (except in a vision thing, if I remember correclty) in Majora's Mask; who's to say there has to be a Link in every spin-off?

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 31, 2017

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Urban environment Zelda with 90s Biker Link from the concept art.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Zelda glitches are cheeky and fun. Andromeda glitches are cruel and tragic.

People keep arguing over Zelda and Horizon. Meanwhile I'm here still bummed we'll never see a new Fable game with an open world like BOTW for a good long while at this rate, if ever. They had to pour all that money into an asynchronous multiplayer game that's lost to time anyway.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Harrow posted:

it'd be rad as hell if Zelda was the playable character and we had a cool gadgeteer Zelda, like a version of BotW Zelda who was allowed to do what she wanted. After all, there's no Ganon or Zelda (except in a vision thing, if I remember correclty) in Majora's Mask; who's to say there has to be a Link in every spin-off?

Getting into 'my fanfic' territory but I wish they'd just set it up so Link / Zelda are twins and you can pick whichever you want as player character. I don't know how the devs feel about this, but I thinkt hat if the incompetents at Bioware can manage this four times, Nintendo could make it work.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Dizz posted:

Yeah they're gonna make a Metroid game with it hahahahaha
four shrines except they take away your powers instead of giving you them and then Ridley unceremoniously kicks you off the Great Plateau, damaging and breaking your Varia Suit and making you unable to screw attack back up

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

well why not posted:

Getting into 'my fanfic' territory but I wish they'd just set it up so Link / Zelda are twins and you can pick whichever you want as player character. I don't know how the devs feel about this, but I thinkt hat if the incompetents at Bioware can manage this four times, Nintendo could make it work.

Well if we're going into full-on wish territory, I'd love a game where they do what Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin did. You play as both Link and Zelda and you can switch between them at any time. They each have different weapons and different traversal/puzzle-solving abilities, so you need to use them both to explore the world and get through dungeons. Just have some sort of justification for why they share a life meter (they have an ~*~unbreakable connection through the Triforce~*~ or something).

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Metroid game with the BoTW engine except it's a 2D runner w/ microtransactions.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Meanwhile I'm here still bummed we'll never see a new Fable game with an open world like BOTW for a good long while at this rate, if ever.

Just play BotW whilst farting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Harrow posted:

Well if we're going into full-on wish territory, I'd love a game where they do what Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin did. You play as both Link and Zelda and you can switch between them at any time. They each have different weapons and different traversal/puzzle-solving abilities, so you need to use them both to explore the world and get through dungeons. Just have some sort of justification for why they share a life meter (they have an ~*~unbreakable connection through the Triforce~*~ or something).

This would be super cool and an awesome fit for a top-down ALBW followup. I really hope we don't lose '2D' Zelda games now that both handhelds consoles are obsoleted by the Switch.