Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
From the schadenfreude thread:

chitoryu12 posted:

kfor.com/2017/03/20/secret-service-helping-with-the-investigation-into-oklahoma-sen-ralph-shortey/amp/

Republican Senator Ralph Shortey, who had voted in favor of an anti-transgender bathroom bill, has been caught loving an underage teenage boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm scared of the people who are most loudly concerned about trans people in bathrooms and locker rooms. Normal people use public bathrooms to piss and poo poo, and perhaps (in airports or something) wash your face, brush your teeth, or shave. Only someone who themselves aspires to be a sexual predator would think peeping/sexual assault is something normal people would try in bathrooms if they had the opportunity.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

PT6A posted:

I'm scared of the people who are most loudly concerned about trans people in bathrooms and locker rooms. Normal people use public bathrooms to piss and poo poo, and perhaps (in airports or something) wash your face, brush your teeth, or shave. Only someone who themselves aspires to be a sexual predator would think peeping/sexual assault is something normal people would try in bathrooms if they had the opportunity.

But you see Trans people AREN'T normal they're all perverts filled with perversions I definitely don't have but seem to know a lot about.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Gorilla Salad posted:

From the schadenfreude thread:

I don't like describing this as schadenfreude. I know it's not in the literal definition of the word, but I feel like there's a subtext that the downfall is an appropriate mirror to the thing they did. I don't like the idea of "caught loving children" as schadenfreude for being mean to trans people.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

cis autodrag posted:

I don't like describing this as schadenfreude. I know it's not in the literal definition of the word, but I feel like there's a subtext that the downfall is an appropriate mirror to the thing they did. I don't like the idea of "caught loving children" as schadenfreude for being mean to trans people.

It's not 'for being mean to trans people' so much as 'this rear end in a top hat ran on the moral majority platform and advocates for stricter sentencing for kiddie fiddlers'.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

cis autodrag posted:

I don't know about the Germans, but there's definitely a blurred line between schadenfreude and white people karma in how it's interpreted a lot of times. If the guy's house burned down, most people would probably feel it was inappropriate to revel in it because that kind of misfortune is separate from his politics. But get outed as a sexual predator of children when you've been building your political career on the supposed sexual deviancy of another group and it's all "gently caress you buddy, hope you enjoy the bathroom laws in prison." It's not really schadenfreude but it is because we'd rather laugh at the "gently caress you" part then focus on sympathy for his victims.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
So I got a email from our local LGBT center about this :

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/20/health-human-services-lgbt-question-seniors-survey

quote:

Senator Patty Murray, a Democrat from Washington, said she was “deeply troubled” by the administration’s plan to stop collecting information on LGBT individuals in the survey.

“There can be no possible justification for this action,” Murray said in a statement. “I have repeatedly urged the Department of Health and Human Services and other federal agencies to include LGBTQ individuals in data collection efforts to help us better understand the challenges they face, and what can be done about it”.

Murray said HHS secretary Tom Price should provide a detailed explanation of why this change was proposed.

Just poo poo like this is going to be constant.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

To say this is a big loving deal is an understatement

https://twitter.com/briantashman/status/844675273891176448

It is huge because this was not the only person being investigated on this kidnapping. Matt Staver and Liberty Counsel played a role

And this happened yesterday

quote:

A federal court ruled that the conclusion of the criminal cases means that Liberty University, Liberty Counsel, and Mat Staver can now be included in the civil RICO suit filed years ago by Janet Jenkins, Isabella’s other mom. Two years ago Liberty University’s tort insurer ruled that their policy will not cover any monetary damages which may result from the RICO suit.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
don't gettoo excited, liberty makes enough money to pay any fine the might incur

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

North Carolina has until April 18th to repeal HB2, or they will lose out on all NCAA championship events through 2022.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Bethamphetamine posted:

North Carolina has until April 18th to repeal HB2, or they will lose out on all NCAA championship events through 2022.

A silver lining to the cloud of poo poo that this administration has brought with it.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Did they ever actually find the kid and her mom?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Nope.

Vulpes Vvardenfell
Jan 30, 2011
Well this is dismaying, but not even remotely unexpected.

The new head of the OCR in the Department of Health and Human Services is a bigot. :sigh:

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

I think you'll find that donald once held a rainbow flag upside down, so this can't actually be bad for any of us.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Wanna go back to the "lavender scare" 50s? No? Too bad!

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/03/28/gay-whisperer-cop-targeted-men-at-port-authority-restrooms.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/police-discrimination-in-lgbt-community-long-beach_us_58cf1a17e4b0537abd95724c

1950s style police tactics are still around, hopefully not for too much longer.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Hey remember when Trump decided not to repeal Obama era federal worker protections because Ivanka told him not to?

welp

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
But the important thing to remember is that, now Ivvy has made a public effort to fight her father's rampant bigotry, her fashion business won't be too badly affected.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

What the hell is even the point of this? :psyduck: There's no substantive change at all, I don't see how this is even a "compromise," every single bad aspect of HB2 is still there but now they can claim that it's repealed.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/30/politics/north-carolina-hb2-agreement/

quote:

Here's what the agreement includes, according to GOP lawmakers:
• A repeal of HB2
• Regulation of multi-occupancy facilities falls under state's control
• Local governments can't pass their own ordinances dealing with employment practices and bathroom regulations (alluding to anti-discrimination ordinances)

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

MaxxBot posted:

What the hell is even the point of this? :psyduck: There's no substantive change at all, I don't see how this is even a "compromise," every single bad aspect of HB2 is still there but now they can claim that it's repealed.

It officially repeals HB2 which they hope will appease business enough to return.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Glazier posted:

It officially repeals HB2 which they hope will appease business enough to return.

Do they suppose businesses are run by people even dumber than they are?

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

PT6A posted:

Well, considering Trump isn't the only idiot CEO....

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

MadDogMike posted:

Well, considering Trump isn't the only idiot CEO....

More like, they don't really care but they have to pretend to because people will boycott them if they don't. So this way the law gets repealed, they get to make money again, and the status quo pre-HB2 is preserved.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
But the pre hb status quo isn't being returned to, cause now local govt can't pass gender identity non discrimination :(

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Exactly, from what I can see this is keeping all of the bad parts of HB2 in place while technically repealing the law itself. It accomplishes nothing other than tricking some dumb CEOs into thinking it's gone.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

PT6A posted:

They know this is bullshit, they know that the corps know it's bullshit, but they're banking on the corps having only gone ahead with the boycott for business reasons rather than moral ones, so if they can convince the public that they've backed down without actually backing down, businesses will be free to start operating in NC again, since they view this as "libs and perverts forced businesses to boycott us," rather than "businesses saw us being lovely to their customers and decided to punish us on the logic that they'll make more money if we're not loving over their consumers."

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

HB142 leaves the squashing of minimum wage across the state intact, which was part of HB2.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

MaxxBot posted:

1. HB2 is repealed in its entirety. All 11 sections/subsections.
2. In its place, the legislature enacted two preemptions of governmental action:
A: State agencies are forbidden from enacting their own bathroom rules - the Legislature would do that, if at all.
B: Local governments are forbidden from regulating (in any way) private employment or public accommodations - until 2020.

So, state agencies can have no rules requiring the use of bathrooms to conform to biological sex. Nor can state agencies have rules expressly permitting the use of bathrooms to conform to one's gender identification. (Maybe the state universities had something like the latter before HB2?) The State legislature did not (and likely won't) address the issue. As a practical and legal matter, a return to the status quo.

And local government isn't allowed to address discrimination of any kind in private hiring practices or public accommodations for three years. Since Charlotte repealed their non-discrimination ordinance in December 2016 (to aid the fight to repeal HB2) it's kinda status quo if you squint at it, and definitely status quo to before Charlotte enacted their ordinance in February of 2016.
Charlotte can try it again in 2020. Given the nationwide moves of red legislatures to restrict the authority of their blue urban areas, this result is actually a good thing/. (Thought the legislature could always preempt later, probably in a way that doesn't broadcast animus so brazenly)

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

There was a big obnoxiously orange bus with anti-transgender propaganda covering it going around in Boston today, and I guess it is going to be touring a bunch of northeast cities. The mayor spoke out against it which was kinda nice.

The chairwoman of the organization running the bus had an interview on one of the local conservative talk radio stations tonight, and very calmly explained how their goal was the total erasure and extermination of trans people. The host kinda freaked out and tried doing the "wait you really mean you want them erased from our girls bathrooms right" and she didn't even take the out, so he cut her off 45 minutes early because she was basically advocating genocide on his radio station.

No links or anything because phone posting but yeah. If you live in any cities between Maine and DC please be extra careful in the next few weeks, these nutjobs might be more than talk. :(

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Naw, they're talk. They'll advocate this stuff, to try and enable others to do their dirty work, but they themselves won't do squat. The ones who can be enabled probably didn't need any help to begin with.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah, it's just really kind of disgusting and a bit terrifying. I'm sure that some people are going to feel empowered by that, especially if more people keep giving them a platform to talk about it.

Here's a couple direct quotes, the radio station put the interview up and subsequent discussion (which, thankfully, was very much opposed to this group) on http://boston.cbslocal.com/audio/nightside-with-dan-rea/

quote:

"There's a real opportunity to influence state legislatures to adopt the policies that are going to keep transgender people out of our society... we want to try to erase them as best we can from our culture"
"We don't really need to take direct action, I think that the fact that there's an epidemic of murder against the trans community already is an indication that-" this is where the host cut her off

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

The Shortest Path posted:

Yeah, it's just really kind of disgusting and a bit terrifying. I'm sure that some people are going to feel empowered by that, especially if more people keep giving them a platform to talk about it.

Here's a couple direct quotes, the radio station put the interview up and subsequent discussion (which, thankfully, was very much opposed to this group) on http://boston.cbslocal.com/audio/nightside-with-dan-rea/

A guy named Joseph Grabowski from NOM usually speaks for the bus.

The only Lucy Diavolo I could find is a trans woman writer/blogger from Chicago.

I wonder of "Lucy Diavolo" (Devil) posed as a Free Speech Bus spokesperson and pranked the radio station to speak their implicit end game for them. That would be awesome.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The Shortest Path posted:

Jesus

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

joat mon posted:

A guy named Joseph Grabowski from NOM usually speaks for the bus.

The only Lucy Diavolo I could find is a trans woman writer/blogger from Chicago.

I wonder of "Lucy Diavolo" (Devil) posed as a Free Speech Bus spokesperson and pranked the radio station to speak their implicit end game for them. That would be awesome.

This doesn't seem at all unlikely. The way she phrased things ("epidemic of murder against the trans community") in particular has more of the coding of progressive circles than NOM and their ilk, who would rather die than acknowledge any of us as a community.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

That could backfire so horribly though, and give the NOM folks a ton of ammunition to use against us. Pretending to be a spokesperson for them and advocating for murder of the people they're speaking against, when they can brand that as attack on free speech and other such nonsense?

hosed up if true, and if so I really goddamn hope she doesn't get caught.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

We managed to identify what was going on, so she'll definitely get caught if she hasn't been by now. Still, might as well propagate the claim that the bus's spokesperson advocated for genocide. Fire with fire, etc.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
I wish these cowards would come down here

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Quorum posted:

This doesn't seem at all unlikely. The way she phrased things ("epidemic of murder against the trans community") in particular has more of the coding of progressive circles than NOM and their ilk, who would rather die than acknowledge any of us as a community.

Good point, and I also expect NOM would take the opposite extreme position regarding trans people who are victims of crime, and argue that their being trans is never a factor.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Pollyanna posted:

We managed to identify what was going on, so she'll definitely get caught if she hasn't been by now. Still, might as well propagate the claim that the bus's spokesperson advocated for genocide. Fire with fire, etc.

Exactly, go loud with the story and quiet with the correction, work for Conservatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
I don't see the interview. Is it tucked away in one of the other two interviews?

• Locked thread