Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hampig posted:

I actually kinda like the idea that every lord/king/chosen had their own shrine for their own linking of the fire, and the ash in the kiln of the first flame/throne of want/desert is the ash of so many linkings, the ashes of so many undead sacrificed to the fire that it's been piling up and covering the world.

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

hampig posted:

I actually kinda like the idea that every lord/king/chosen had their own shrine for their own linking of the fire, and the ash in the kiln of the first flame/throne of want/desert is the ash of so many linkings, the ashes of so many undead sacrificed to the fire that it's been piling up and covering the world.

Well, if it's link the fire or be eaten by Gael, I'm not sure if the choice is too hard.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Well I have to eat my own words - it turns out that following people's advice and fighting Midir from the front actually did turn him into a not terrible and honestly fairly fun fight. Guess I should've experimented with more different strategies!

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Regy Rusty posted:

Well I have to eat my own words - it turns out that following people's advice and fighting Midir from the front actually did turn him into a not terrible and honestly fairly fun fight. Guess I should've experimented with more different strategies!

Dammit... you guys are gonna make me give him another ten tries aren't you...

I'm kind of glad more games haven't cracked the Dark Souls addiction code because I'd be broke and divorced if more games knew how to hook me like this series.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Regy Rusty posted:

It's a very strange fight due to this element of it, and I'm honestly not sure if I really like it or not, but it makes him feel quite different from the other dragons without being all that different.

Kalameet's still the best.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

What DID catch me off guard is that the npc invasions can happen when you're hollow. That's nice! It sort of sucks missing out on them because you didn't think to pop an ember.

Yeah, definitely a good thing and would love to see it in the rest of the game. Of course, at this point I've already memorized all the locations of NPC invasions and just ember in anticipation but still :v:

As for the NPC invaders, the only one I really struggled with was Ledo. Superarmor through everything, true combo 2 hits (took off 80% of my health with ember) and BS weapon art.. not fun.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It's a very strange fight due to this element of it, and I'm honestly not sure if I really like it or not, but it makes him feel quite different from the other dragons without being all that different.

Honestly I should've thought of it, because it's exactly the same strategy I discovered all on my own to make the King of the Storm a complete joke. But for whatever reason it just didn't occur to me this time.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Soooo I just stumbled into the Gael endboss while exploring the zone. Did I screw myself out of fun stuff? I only discovered one of the dual-wielding greatsword guys who gave me a slab. I found a shrine of sorts during the fight where a soapstone message warned about a dark phantom - so presumably there's an npc invader that I missed out on?

double nine fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 31, 2017

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
You can do all that stuff once you've defeated the boss.

EDIT: Also, it's been only a couple of days since the DLC release, try to spoiler tag bosses names if you can?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

whoops. fixed.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Ringed City is better DLC than Ariandel but having replayed each multiple times I feel like they were designed to be run through in a real weird way. A ton of areas in both are just kind of wide open fields with no choke points so it's trivial to just sprint from boss to boss with little resistance, even less than in the base game once your dodging is on point.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

I don't think that makes it a fun fight but yeah you pretty much have to do that to make the fight bearable since his head takes twice the damage that every other part of his body does.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I recently bought the season pass, after not playing for almost a year, any reason to swap from my Sharp Chaos Blade ? Also, drat, I forgot how to even play this.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

RBA Starblade posted:

All invaders in this dlc heal three times, have hyper armor when healing, and heal more than you do when using it. Just assume they have three or so health bars, basically.

Lloyd's talismans.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So err, final boss questions: does it deal double damage to summons? Because I'm pretty sure he doesn't deal nearly as much damage to me as host.

Also how does one deal with the lightning bolts? Seems luck-based on whether or not you'll get hit by them.

double nine fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 31, 2017

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

double nine posted:

So err, final boss questions: does it deal double damage to summons? Because I'm pretty sure he doesn't deal nearly as much damage to me as host.

Also how does one deal with the lightning bolts? Seems luck-based on whether or not you'll get hit by them.

Phantoms always have their hp reduced.

Just avoid the blue circles on the ground.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rubellavator posted:

Just avoid the blue circles on the ground.

To add to this, the blue circles only appear where the red skulls/souls land. When he "explodes" just watch where they're landing and stay away from those areas.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

This has been my PVP experience so far:

https://gfycat.com/ColorlessWearyEuropeanpolecat

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Elman posted:

Yeah the blender swords are going to be really hard to deal with. So far the only way I've seen them handled well is a halberd and being very careful.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Elman posted:

Missing the Point Down spam.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

And dropping prism stones.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Elman posted:

You can wear heavier armor to go beast mode, and if you REALLY want to be an annoying prick and win at all costs, just run away forever and spam the spear when it's up and win the attrition battle by poking them with the free soul mass until they run out of estus. Also try to be really cautious about engaging until the painted guardian is up to boost your chances when you're out numbered, they make a big difference since they're fairly tanky, fast, and heal both of you.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Minrad posted:

just run away forever and spam the spear when it's up and win the attrition battle by poking them with the free soul mass until they run out of estus. Also try to be really cautious about engaging until the painted guardian is up to boost your chances when you're out numbered, they make a big difference since they're fairly tanky, fast, and heal both of you.

You really can't lose this way, btw. If you make even a cursory effort to protect the guardian you're effective invincible.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 31, 2017

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
So I am barely halfway throught the DLC and am roaming around the ringed city, avoiding this thread because dark souls is so so much better when you have no idea what is coming up

Hooooly poo poo I think i had a lore relevation!

No one tell me if I'm wrong but the cycle is all hosed and got hijacked by snakes/we ARE a snake, this explains why ashen ones can't seem to hold onto flames. I ran into a ringed knight that looks a hella lot like a soul of cinder and his drop states that the hood on their face is the cycle's way of hiding the snake's subtle deception to the gods. It also explains why the picture of the sisters shows them stabbing the snakes, as someone who opposes the cycle (which I suspect is actually giving strength to an age of dark that already happened and we are stuck in), they are going against the wishes of the snakes and looking to break their grip

The age of fire died out a long time ago, we're feeding the age of dark now I think

It's also why everything is so fucky and we have our version of firelink where iudex is clearly consumed by/made of dark despite the real champion just chillin at lothric castle! Holy poo poo, talk about reversal of themes, I guess the hints were obvious but without the concluding elements, everything just felt off and wrong.

This also means that the lords of cinder know that they are feeding the dark and are refusing their thrones, lothric bros must know that this cycle is a twisted farce that was long ago hijacked by the dark

I could be completely wrong and don't you fuckers spoil anything but I think I'm on the right track here.

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 31, 2017

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

How do you counter the double greatsword?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The fights that have their own dynamic are kind fun, if you're able to learn it. Like the twin princes have a vulnerable back after you've been unlearning that from all the spiny assholes all game

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Yodzilla posted:

Ringed City is better DLC than Ariandel but having replayed each multiple times I feel like they were designed to be run through in a real weird way. A ton of areas in both are just kind of wide open fields with no choke points so it's trivial to just sprint from boss to boss with little resistance, even less than in the base game once your dodging is on point.

Yeah they seem designed where you can just blow through and get the few items relevant to your character if you feel like it. And with rings in ringed city you can skip the ng+ they both allow a fast track to PvP relevancy

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Whats a good weapon to switch to for fighting Aldrich just I've got 53 int and using the moonlight great sword does gently caress all damage lol

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Jose posted:

Whats a good weapon to switch to for fighting Aldrich just I've got 53 int and using the moonlight great sword does gently caress all damage lol

You can probably just use some pyromancy on him.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Yeah I did that since great chaos fire orb doesn't have a faith requirement and it was really easy lol

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Jose posted:

hes weak to fire so level your pyrohand. youll do only slightly less damage than a pure pyro with that high int.
edit: basically whenever sorcery doesent work switch to pyro hand or izalith staff for dark sorceries.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Hey guys. Is The Ringed City not cool, or cool as heck?

I'm talkin this cool :coolfish:

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Cool as heck.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I like it except:

1. from really loving likes its environmental hazards and has confused them for good level design more and more since bloodborne, and
2. more loving swamps and lovely puddles, what the gently caress myazaki-san

but yeah delivering on all fronts so far

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

There is a good swamp.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
the issue is that there is more

wading through mud loving sucks

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I hope the next soulsborne game is nothing but swamps

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
people used to make that joke since DS1 (demon souls maybe) and it's really only becoming truer and truer with every new release

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

KingSlime posted:

the issue is that there is more

wading through mud loving sucks

they don't slow you down in this DLC tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Lakbay posted: