Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I buy rocket league crates because I've played their $20 game for 200 hours. I like the trend of free maps and paid for skins, splitting playerbases makes me not want to buy maps.

I think the premium party idea is a great compromise, we just need to see how long it lasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I've spent $20 on Rocket League the game and maybe another $25 in crates and premium cars. It's a good model and doesn't make me hate the devs.

Unlike :dice:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Beastie posted:

I've spent $20 on Rocket League the game and maybe another $25 in crates and premium cars. It's a good model and doesn't make me hate the devs.

Unlike :dice:

How much have you spent on BF

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

BC2: $60
BC2 Nam: $45?
BF3: $60
BF3 DLC$50
BF4: $60
BF4 Xbone: $50 (used)
BF4 DLC: $50
BF1: $60
BF1 DLC: $50

I do it cause I love my Xbros. BF1's dlc seems to be leaps and bounds better than any of the previous dlc's. The two Operations will be played for a long time. Every other dlc from the previous games were dropped after two months.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

How do I not suck. I played a couple games last night and was completely awful.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008
Any tips on getting those mortar kills? And should I go with HE or airburst? I can't seem to hit anything with the HE, but AB does such poo poo damage...

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Agent355 posted:

Situational Awareness. Keep and eye trained on what points are currently in the middle of a firefight. Approach them with caution as a medic or support and start picking people off. Make a note of which points turn into pointless (lol) clusterfucks and steer clear. These are often bunkers.

Stick with your squad, if they are a bunch of snipers tea bag them or shoot smoke. Then change squads.

Don't be afraid to die, this game isn't about going 20-0.

Spot. Spot spot spot spot. Spot.

Flank. If everyone is fighting over a middle point and it's just a total poo poo show you could flank around and go for a point that isn't receiving as much attention.

Find a gun that works for you and use it.

Maybe join an empty server to get a good look at sightlines and hidey holes.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Hot Cops posted:

Any tips on getting those mortar kills? And should I go with HE or airburst? I can't seem to hit anything with the HE, but AB does such poo poo damage...

HE, play operations or frontlines, be sure you let the reticle focus before shooting so that you actually hit where you're aiming

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Last night I finally discovered the wonders of the Russian 1895 Trench. I had always kind of assumed it was similar to the Infantry variant which I'm not really a huge fan of. Holy poo poo I have never been so happy to be so wrong. I've only played one round with it but I think I have a new favorite scout gun.

Also there was this blaze of glory :black101:

http://i.imgur.com/zXeeGvt.gifv

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Also there was this blaze of glory :black101:

http://i.imgur.com/zXeeGvt.gifv

hahaha this owns and is right up my alley. Eff was teasing me last night about having a hard-on for blowing up tanks. It's just the best.

I'm realizing more that for whatever reason I'm sorta bad at gunplay but pretty good at every other method of killing people. Just gonna dehumanize my self and face to shock trooper play.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Agent355 posted:

Stick with your squad. Try to hit the other team from the side. Sometimes staying alive and safe so your squad can all spawn on you in a great spot is better than killing people.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Agent355 posted:

I know "play with goons/friends" is kind of a cliche, but I've never seen a game where a competent small group can turn the tide so decisively as in BF. It's astounding how much better you do personally when you've got two other friends saying poo poo like "hey there's a guy hiding in the corner of that building" or "watch out, an enemy tank is moving in".

As others have said, flank flank flank. Pubbies do not expect to be hit from anywhere except directly in front of them. They also are completely deaf to stabbings and bludgeonings, so if you get behind an enemy group you can usually melee takedown half of them before anyone even realizes you're there.

Also, remember that a lot of guns are inaccurate and you don't want to spray unless the enemy is 2ft away. Use bursts, or wait a split-second between shots if you're using a medic gun.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Ol Standard Retard posted:

hahaha this owns and is right up my alley. Eff was teasing me last night about having a hard-on for blowing up tanks. It's just the best.

I'm realizing more that for whatever reason I'm sorta bad at gunplay but pretty good at every other method of killing people. Just gonna dehumanize my self and face to shock trooper play.

You'll always be our little rocketeer. I'm sure you love how that new French map has the highest concentration of tanks in well maybe any bf game to date.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If I'm not sniping I am balls to the wall rushing to the nearest enemy held objective and running around as fast as I can like a retard.

I do pretty well.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
^ yeah p much give me a shootgun and a backpack full of rockets and I'm streaking off into enemy territory

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

As others have said, flank flank flank. Pubbies do not expect to be hit from anywhere except directly in front of them. They also are completely deaf to stabbings and bludgeonings, so if you get behind an enemy group you can usually melee takedown half of them before anyone even realizes you're there.

This is especially relevant because it also works the other way: if you have an idea of where people will be flowing to on the map at a given time (more important in Conquest / non-unidirectional game modes), you can anticipate ways to both guard your own exposure and increase your opportunity.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

It seems to me alot of it is just going to come down to map knowledge. Most of the time I'm not even sure which direction to be facing and where to expect the enemies to be pushing in from. I find myself with a barrel up the rear end frequently. I'll probably try to play w/ goons a bit as well just so i can follow people who (hopefully) know more than me. I'm assuming there's a mumble or w/e for PC. I'll check the OP.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Agent355 posted:

It seems to me alot of it is just going to come down to map knowledge. Most of the time I'm not even sure which direction to be facing and where to expect the enemies to be pushing in from. I find myself with a barrel up the rear end frequently. I'll probably try to play w/ goons a bit as well just so i can follow people who (hopefully) know more than me. I'm assuming there's a mumble or w/e for PC. I'll check the OP.

we dont take kindly to pc folk round these parts

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

^ yeah p much give me a shootgun and a backpack full of rockets and I'm streaking off into enemy territory
This is me except with a knife :black101:

Stabbing enemy snipers is basically my reason for living. If I approach a sniper from behind he's getting knifed. I don't care if there's a tank next to him or three other enemies looking at me. Murder all snipers.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I've yet to get my hands on the new trench raider kit but I foresee v good times.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Robot Randy posted:

we dont take kindly to pc folk round these parts

Oops, didn't realize there were two threads. Goodbye forever.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The trench raider mace actually works more like a gun than a melee weapon: you kind of have to aim it but you can also headshot people with it

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Guys i'm not going to speak on its :airquote:optimal combat efficacy:airquote: but holy poo poo turning a hillside into chickenpox with the :siren:spotlight hotdog tank's:siren: eye of sauron is a

god

drat

riot

Y'all really need to try it.

I've yet to get my hands on the new trench raider kit but I foresee v good times.

pretty much my sole purpose in battlefield now is to camp the trench raider kit

(just don't forget to take your pistol out because you melee faster lol)

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

The trench raider mace actually works more like a gun than a melee weapon: you kind of have to aim it but you can also headshot people with it

what

Every smack has been a ohk for me so maybe everyone was already hurt?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

mellowjournalism posted:

what

Every smack has been a ohk for me so maybe everyone was already hurt?

It's a 1 hit kill no matter what, it just doesn't lock you into animations all the time like normal melee weapons, and can also headshot

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I'm rdy to dart people, Mail

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

It's a 1 hit kill no matter what, it just doesn't lock you into animations all the time like normal melee weapons, and can also headshot

Not entirely clear on what this headshot does

Does it kill them twice?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

It sends their helmet flying and gives you an extra 25 points

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I got my hands on a raider kit with like 16 tickets to go and sprinted out of our spawn to find a badmans nearby, truncheoning his face almost literally as the (in this case, that was a horrid map) defeat sounded.

DROB joined up on vaux and we started kicking rear end somehow. Helluva turnout tonight y'all :tipshat: from the poophole

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Pskrew had a good night on some French conquest maps.

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010
seven. hours.

i just spent seven hours playing this afternoon, tonight.... seven hours of a rotating member full party is highly entertaining.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
If you need a reminder about how bad the people who play this game are this should do the trick

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=No7QE7OpYX8

I wasnt even playing very well and those medics should have killed me.

Later in that same game I got probably my favorite double kill ever, just because of how quickly it happened.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i7N_IvSMY2Q

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
I'll say this for Premium: it seems to attract a higher caliber of player. After two weeks of mostly close matches I've now seen all the DLC maps end in spawn trap blow outs in a single day.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

sunday at work posted:

I'll say this for Premium: it seems to attract a higher caliber of player. After two weeks of mostly close matches I've now seen all the DLC maps end in spawn trap blow outs in a single day.

I rush a lot. Like, headfirst directly towards an objective as fast as possible. It's a lot of risk and a lot of reward. My KD hovers a little over 1.0 but I'll get a LOT of double digit kill streaks.

In games like that I'll die rushing a lot, but when I get super lucky I'll rattle off one of those kill streaks and the team will finally break through.

It's pretty cool well thanks for letting me brag.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

sunday at work posted:

When the DLC first launched for premium too it was a lot of blowouts one way or the other. It'll probably settle into normal matches soon enough

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

sunday at work posted:

lol when tsnp first dropped I poo poo you not I was in a server of all 90+ with solidly half of them 100+.

I've never seen so many 110's in one game, it was kind of nuts. (to be fair it was 4 AM so it was all supernerds)

Also speaking of blowouts, it is mindboggling that they don't make all tanks spawn outside of playable area (for the enemy at least). Way too easy and boring to spawncamp the poo poo out of all their vehicles and shut a team down. More than anything though it's way too easy to fix. :dice: will never actually finish a game

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I'm just wondering how they haven't nerfed the hellreigel yet.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

mellowjournalism posted:

lol when tsnp first dropped I poo poo you not I was in a server of all 90+ with solidly half of them 100+.

I've never seen so many 110's in one game, it was kind of nuts. (to be fair it was 4 AM so it was all supernerds)

Also speaking of blowouts, it is mindboggling that they don't make all tanks spawn outside of playable area (for the enemy at least). Way too easy and boring to spawncamp the poo poo out of all their vehicles and shut a team down. More than anything though it's way too easy to fix. :dice: will never actually finish a game

how high does Numbers go these days? Didn't it use to cap at 100?

I understand it's an exponential increase in xp required but dang.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

how high does Numbers go these days? Didn't it use to cap at 100?

I understand it's an exponential increase in xp required but dang.
It was 100 but each expansion ups the cap by 10. I've yet to see an actual 110 but there are quite a few >100 players floating around.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

e.pilot posted:

the bads wont have a weapon to cling to then

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Robot Randy posted:

the bads wont have a weapon to cling to then

I got killed by some dude that had 34 service stars with it the other night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

e.pilot posted:

They've increased it's horizontal recoil once or twice and it's still as stupid easy to use as any of the SMGs and has more ammo than most of the LMGs.