Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I mean until hdmi systems playing games on a CRT is preferable, even if it had a dial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I only buy PC games through itch dot io and the humble store. sometimes that means I gotta use steam keys but whateves

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Snak posted:

same. My PSold is trucking along just fine, although I worry about dust because i don't vacuum enough. My TV is kind of lovely, but it's a 40" and it's a pretty big improvement over my previous TV, which I still have, which is this

Yes, I played my ps2 on that TV.

:eyepop:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

map gamers... they increased Elan! to 40% hahahabaghahaha

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

oddium posted:

What does this mean

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Harrow posted:

So now that Atlus has made assets for a ton of classic SMT demons for the PS4, not to mention spell animations for all the standard Persona/SMT spells and attacks, what are the chances we get another console SMT game using those assets? We got a shitload of SMT and Persona on the PS2 because Atlus could just reuse the assets they'd made for Nocturne, so maybe we'll get another run of console SMT games?

i hope so, because who on this planet gives a poo poo about a nintendo exclusive SMT. bring all the ps2 series inc mainline to ps4 immediately with sequels imo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SMT4Apocalypse is one of the best jrpgs I ever played

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

In Training posted:

It's pretty good

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

3DS is the last bastion of 'SD' graphics so they're gonna have to upgrade eventually because there's no way that has more than a year or two at most left in it, even if the Switch is a failure.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I don't think i can play jrpgs anymore. FF12 HD is going to be a big test

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In Training posted:

I am glad you enjoyed it so much.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

fridge corn posted:

I don't think i can play jrpgs anymore. FF12 HD is going to be a big test

That is not the game I would hang my RPG-tolerance on.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, I love FF12 IZJS, but it's, uh, it's real big and real slow. Granted it has a fast forward button now, but still. Again, I'll defend FF12 all day long, I think it's awesome, but it's way in the deep end of JRPG.

Actually SMT4 Apocalypse would probably be a better "do I still like JRPGs in general?" test. Maybe Persona 5 but if you have a low tolerance for high school anime stuff or if you just in general don't want to have much "downtime" between the parts where you explore and fight monsters a Persona game is probably not the one for you.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

It's the last jrpg that I've played that I actually enjoyed although I haven't played it since release, hence the test

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I love FF12 IZJS, but it's, uh, it's real big and real slow. Granted it has a fast forward button now, but still. Again, I'll defend FF12 all day long, I think it's awesome, but it's way in the deep end of JRPG.

Actually SMT4 Apocalypse would probably be a better "do I still like JRPGs in general?" test. Maybe Persona 5 but if you have a low tolerance for high school anime stuff or if you just in general don't want to have much "downtime" between the parts where you explore and fight monsters a Persona game is probably not the one for you.

I don't have any tolerance for any anime stuff

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Why are you planning on playing FF12 then?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

fridge corn posted:

the anime is inside you

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

fridge corn posted:

It's the last jrpg that I've played that I actually enjoyed although I haven't played it since release, hence the test

I would just recommend something shorter, tighter and lighter for such a test, like Chrono Trigger, but you do you.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

oddium posted:

It's April 1st in Sweden right now

Or almost April 1st

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

At this point I just want valve to make something, anything, that isn't hats.

I don't think they have much of a reason to, though, since they make enough money just doing what they're doing now lol

though it's weird to me that they'll let indie devs use their name for their games, like, you'd think Gabe N wouldn't want to be associated with something like this http://store.steampowered.com/app/407420/

i dont think gabe newell cares about much these days except more hookers and blow. in fact no one at valve seems to care about anything other than coming up with new and scammy ways of monetizing their few remaining properties

its pretty funny that a company that probably makes over a billions dollars in revenue every year cant be bothered to hire some people to make sure their store isnt filled with utter trash

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I think Gabe probably personally cares most about making Dota 2 a professional sport and creating a completely separate hardware/OS ecosystem in case Microsoft goes crazy. This means that everyone in the company knows those are safe projects to work on.

Anyone who wants to develop games probably got isolated and their desks pushed to the corner in that weird tribal system of theirs

Serf
May 5, 2011

babypolis posted:

i dont think gabe newell cares about much these days except more hookers and blow. in fact no one at valve seems to care about anything other than coming up with new and scammy ways of monetizing their few remaining properties

its pretty funny that a company that probably makes over a billions dollars in revenue every year cant be bothered to hire some people to make sure their store isnt filled with utter trash

Until it starts to make them lose money, they will not put any more effort into curating the storefront more than they already do.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

A friend of mine mentioned that they could get me Nier Automata for 40 USD (in whatever the price was in GBP) so... I am ready to die now, I guess. I've lived a long life and now I'm going to die of a broken heart.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Every other publisher out there is probably more than a little jealous that they have to actually keep making games to stay in business. In a more perfect world each company would have its own widespread digital distribution service, greenlighting whatever shovelware people threw at it, creating nothing.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Serf posted:

Until it starts to make them lose money, they will not put any more effort into curating the storefront more than they already do.

not to mention that even the shittiest of trash still produces revenue for valve themselves so there's no incentive for them to curate it in the first place

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Hell I'll say it: steam freakin owns!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

I would just recommend something shorter, tighter and lighter for such a test, like Chrono Trigger, but you do you.

Ive played Chrono Trigger to death

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

that story about workshop developers getting hosed is particularly lovely because it sounds like they lured people in with a "decent" share of the profits (a still pretty exploitative 25%) and then steam slowly closed their grip on them until they utterly crushed them. its unbelievably scummy and unfortunately I doubt the story will get much traction

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

babypolis posted:

Don't worry the best games will naturally rise to the top :cheerdoge:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The free market works!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

babypolis posted:

that story about workshop developers getting hosed is particularly lovely because it sounds like they lured people in with a "decent" share of the profits (a still pretty exploitative 25%) and then steam slowly closed their grip on them until they utterly crushed them. its unbelievably scummy and unfortunately I doubt the story will get much traction

The potential for exploitation in digital goods marketplaces is enormous and we're going to get hosed in ways we haven't even imagined yet.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

fridge corn posted:

Ive played Chrono Trigger to death

No anime there.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I just ordered a ps4 slim from amazon with same day shipping

can u guess for which game???

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's weird that mobas got so big. They seem kind of impenetrable to me

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

KingSlime posted:

Nier: Automata?

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Help Im Alive posted:

It's weird that mobas got so big. They seem kind of impenetrable to me

Same. Playing them and watching them both - more power to those who enjoy it but I just don't get how you keep track of a game like that outside of "dudes are killing each other". Like, aren't there over 100 dudes to care about?

Then again I also get confused how people follow college basketball/football because they have too many teams, so

KingSlime posted:

Stardew Valley???

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Snak posted:

Nier: Automata?

i have a very nice PC already

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

KingSlime posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSz815Srub0

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Destiny 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

nailed it!

you really have a knack for these things

• Locked thread