Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

TheWevel posted:

My wife and I are moving back into our house soon and I'm curious about going all in with ATT. The house was wired for gigabit fiber while we were gone so I'm thinking something like this:

-100Mb Internet
-Her iPhone, and maybe an iPad on a data plan
-DirecTV or UVerse TV

I can't seem to bundle all of this on the ATT website, will I have to go into a store to get all of this set up? My wife is currently on Verizon so we would be porting in.

edit: I like the idea of having one bill for everything. We were DirecTV customers before so I'm ok with DirecTV service.

From what I understand, AT&T is phasing out uverse completely. They are going to start pushing customers onto DirecTV or DirecTV Now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Beefstorm posted:

From what I understand, AT&T is phasing out uverse completely. They are going to start pushing customers onto DirecTV or DirecTV Now.

I think there is a bunch of general confusion because they told my condo building several months back that they were phasing out U-Verse and if we needed any more boxes we need to get them now. We have an outdated DirecTV system and when they put in fiber (not active yet) they told our building manager that they were going to disable the old system and put everyone on DirecTV over fiber that would be like the old U-Verse but branded DirecTV.

They haven't activated our fiber yet even though it is completely installed so I wouldn't be surprised if they are holding off until they get their DirecTV Fiber product launched.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I bought my daughter a moto g4 for her birthday. Is there any reason I have to actually visit the At&t store, or can I just swap the sim from her existing Fire Phone to the new Moto G4? She doesn't open it until tomorrow, so I can't just test it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

adorai posted:

I bought my daughter a moto g4 for her birthday. Is there any reason I have to actually visit the At&t store, or can I just swap the sim from her existing Fire Phone to the new Moto G4? She doesn't open it until tomorrow, so I can't just test it.

As long as it's the same SIM size you should be able to swap it.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

As long as it's the same SIM size you should be able to swap it.

Awesome, thanks. The moto g4 takes a micro instead of nano like the fire phone does, but Lenovo was nice enough to include the adapter tray.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

adorai posted:

Awesome, thanks. The moto g4 takes a micro instead of nano like the fire phone does, but Lenovo was nice enough to include the adapter tray.

Depending on how old the SIM card there is sometimes value in getting new ones assuming AT&T won't charge you for it.

Darilian
Jun 14, 2007

Maneki Neko posted:

Depending on how old the SIM card there is sometimes value in getting new ones assuming AT&T won't charge you for it.

As long as it is at a Corporate Store there would be no charge.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
We've been with AT&T for like 15 years, but our new house has very lovely signal inside unless we are standing near a window. A buddy of mine says he got AT&T to give him a free MicroCell when he threatened to cancel service due to poor signal.

I want to try one of these things to get better service, and have no interest in leaving AT&T... what are the odds that I can get them to give me a free one if I threaten to cancel or will they just tell me to take a hike?

We have no home phone, just cell phones on a Family plan, so reliable signal is actually pretty important to us.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Do you have home internet? Newer AT&T phones support wifi calling. They will steer you toward that option before giving you a microcell.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Good point, but if he doesn't have home internet a microcell won't work either.

Anecdotally I know two people who have tried to get a free microcell from ATT in the last two years or so, and the best they got offered was a $150 microcell.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Yes I have Internet. Never looked at wifi calling though, I'll check it out.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

WarMECH posted:

We've been with AT&T for like 15 years, but our new house has very lovely signal inside unless we are standing near a window. A buddy of mine says he got AT&T to give him a free MicroCell when he threatened to cancel service due to poor signal.

poo poo, I had AT&T up until like 5 months ago (went to T-Mobile)...I have a Microcell I'll give you if you cover shipping.

I tried to sell it locally but nobody wanted it. It's the newest version (the black one). PM me if you want it. I got it free after a dust-up at an AT&T store about my basement signal. Took some work though.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
That's awesome, thanks for the offer! But it looks like we won't be needing it after all: we turned on wifi calling for our phones and it works great without having to hook up anything new.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Apparently AT&T is running an offer for an LTE iPad for $100 if you buy a new iPhone. You do need to have the $10 per month device fee for two years, but still a really good add-on deal.

(My mother in-law wanted a new iPhone, and I ended up with an iPad out of the deal.)

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

As 'bad' as the unlimited plus plan is, I'm thinking I should switch my current plan over:

Phone #1:
FamilyTalk Nation 550 with Rollover $50.00
Data Unlimited for iPhone on 4G LTE with VVM $40.00
Family Messaging Unlimited $30.00
National Account Discount -$22.50
Total: $97.50

Phone #2:
FamilyTalk Nation 550 with Rollover $9.99
DataPro 3GB for iPhone on 4G LTE with Visual Voicemail $30.00
Family Messaging Unlimited $0.00
Total: $39.99

I've been paying out of pocket for any data overages that the second phone incurred (mostly since it's $10 a GB and you don't get a discount if you sign up for the 5GB vs the 3GB) but lately the overages have been hitting 4GB. Last month's bill, after taxes and everything, came out to $194. I'm perfectly happy with my AT&T service, and I don't want to go through the hoops of getting a new phone since we have two iPhones on the Apple Upgrade program. I know I'm going to lose my FAN, but overall it's cheaper according to their website.

Will taxes screw me over that badly? Am I overthinking this? Should I finally let go of my grandfathered plan?

kimcicle fucked around with this message at 08:11 on May 2, 2017

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kimcicle posted:

As 'bad' as the unlimited plus plan is, I'm thinking I should switch my current plan over:

Phone #1:
FamilyTalk Nation 550 with Rollover $50.00
Data Unlimited for iPhone on 4G LTE with VVM $40.00
Family Messaging Unlimited $30.00
National Account Discount -$22.50
Total: $97.50

Phone #2:
FamilyTalk Nation 550 with Rollover $9.99
DataPro 3GB for iPhone on 4G LTE with Visual Voicemail $30.00
Family Messaging Unlimited $0.00
Total: $39.99

I've been paying out of pocket for any data overages that the second phone incurred (mostly since it's $10 a GB and you don't get a discount if you sign up for the 5GB vs the 3GB) but lately the overages have been hitting 4GB. Last month's bill, after taxes and everything, came out to $194. I'm perfectly happy with my AT&T service, and I don't want to go through the hoops of getting a new phone since we have two iPhones on the Apple Upgrade program. I know I'm going to lose my FAN, but overall it's cheaper according to their website.

Will taxes screw me over that badly? Am I overthinking this? Should I finally let go of my grandfathered plan?

Now that contracts are killed the prices are a lot closer. Pretty sure ATT does the same reprioritize of data on the old unlimited as they do on the new ones, so because of that and the overages you are paying, it's probably the best idea to switch to the new one.

Like, if you're currently averaging $192 - $22 discount before taxes, and the new plan is $155 before taxes, it def seems like a good idea.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

My wife and I are finally getting off our parents' plans. She was an AT&T and we're having trouble porting the number.

My in-laws emailed us the account number and passcode. However, the transfer got rejected.

I want to make sure there really is a typo before I ask them again (they're... preoccupied and my wife was hesitant to even ask them the first time). After a quick search I see different information on how many digits the account number should be (the one we have is 10). The AT&T webpage says it should be your 10 digit phone number followed by a 7 digit account number. Other posts say 12. I also saw both 9 and 10.

Is there any explanation besides a typo that we can consider here? Are there other numbers on the bill that could be easily mistaken? Do really old accounts have a different format number that might get rejected by the software the T-Mobile support guy is using to port the number?

Most usefully, is there any way with access to the phone itself (and passcode) to find out the account number? And if not, what's the simplest possible instructions I can give my in-laws to ask for the number again. I don't want to stress them out unnecessarily.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SurgicalOntologist posted:

My wife and I are finally getting off our parents' plans. She was an AT&T and we're having trouble porting the number.

My in-laws emailed us the account number and passcode. However, the transfer got rejected.

I want to make sure there really is a typo before I ask them again (they're... preoccupied and my wife was hesitant to even ask them the first time). After a quick search I see different information on how many digits the account number should be (the one we have is 10). The AT&T webpage says it should be your 10 digit phone number followed by a 7 digit account number. Other posts say 12. I also saw both 9 and 10.

Is there any explanation besides a typo that we can consider here? Are there other numbers on the bill that could be easily mistaken? Do really old accounts have a different format number that might get rejected by the software the T-Mobile support guy is using to port the number?

Most usefully, is there any way with access to the phone itself (and passcode) to find out the account number? And if not, what's the simplest possible instructions I can give my in-laws to ask for the number again. I don't want to stress them out unnecessarily.

Two main ways to get the ATT account number:
Login online
Call and ask

I would just call them and ask them to bring up a paper or PDF bill, a little work sure, but shouldn't be that hard. The transfer would have worked unless it was wrong or typo. If I remember right ATT account numbers are 12 numbers long, but don't quote me on it. So I would just have them verify and then re submit.

Happens all the time, just stress that it isn't surprising or a big deal.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

OK I wasn't sure if they'd give that info to someone who isn't the primary account holder. I'll try calling tomorrow.

Unboxing Day
Nov 4, 2003

My extended family all currently shares one big FamilyTalk Nation 1400 plan. While calling up to dispute a 3GB data overage, they tried to sell me on their new Unlimited plans. On its face, it seems like a significant cost savings for more data - we were quoted $185 and $215 a month for Unlimited Choice and Unlimited Plus respectively, while we're currently paying $337.

Is there a catch of some sort? It seems too good to be true for our plan's price to go down by $100 while getting way more.

Unboxing Day fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 14, 2017

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Unboxing Day posted:

My extended family all currently shares one big FamilyTalk Nation 1400 plan. While calling up to dispute a 3GB data overage, they tried to sell me on their new Unlimited plans. On its face, it seems like a significant cost savings for more data - we were quoted $185 and $215 a month for Unlimited Choice and Unlimited Plus respectively, while we're currently paying $337.

Is there a catch of some sort? It seems too good to be true for our plan's price to go down by $100 while getting way more.

Honestly your plan is probably overpriced at this point. If you get a bill and post a break down, I could post a comparison up for you.

Don't do the cheap one though, that one has a catch, it's unlimited 3G only data. Obviously that's just a bad idea.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Looks like they locked up their site with all the current promos, heh:

https://mst.att.com/login?returnurl=%2F

grymwulf
Nov 29, 2013

What? Was it something I said?

BeAuMaN posted:

Looks like they locked up their site with all the current promos, heh:

https://mst.att.com/login?returnurl=%2F

Yeah, we will need a kind soul to supply us with a way of accessing the website now

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

grymwulf posted:

Yeah, we will need a kind soul to supply us with a way of accessing the website now

Does anyone know the dealer code of an authorized retailer? It's a 5 to 6 character code with letters and/or numbers.

Examples I made up:
HDR5GB
5QT77
R7HY76

Someone look at their paperwork from a transaction they just did at AT&T. The retailers Dealer Code might be somewhere on it.

They may have changed paperwork though. It's been awhile since I've worked there.

Potentially, check the receipt of a corporate store. The employee's ATTUID might be on the receipt.

Examples I made up:
JD744H
RM2278
KC134G

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006
How do you know my uid

Edit: solidarity, goons. Don't shop this weekend

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OH WORD SON posted:

How do you know my uid

Edit: solidarity, goons. Don't shop this weekend

Best of luck with the strike. Personally, a weekend strike isn't underwhelming, to me it's either you go on strike, or you don't.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Beefstorm posted:

Does anyone know the dealer code of an authorized retailer? It's a 5 to 6 character code with letters and/or numbers.

Examples I made up:
HDR5GB
5QT77
R7HY76

Someone look at their paperwork from a transaction they just did at AT&T. The retailers Dealer Code might be somewhere on it.

They may have changed paperwork though. It's been awhile since I've worked there.

Potentially, check the receipt of a corporate store. The employee's ATTUID might be on the receipt.

Examples I made up:
JD744H
RM2278
KC134G
I don't have plat... what are you using it for, and what's your email? I checked my paperwork for my s8 and it isn't on there, and I don't want to lose my job...

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

AA is for Quitters posted:

I don't have plat... what are you using it for, and what's your email? I checked my paperwork for my s8 and it isn't on there, and I don't want to lose my job...

Myattmst.com

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Beefstorm posted:

Myattmst.com

Mine doesn't work for that, but mine also had a massive issue with getting my IMO started. I tried both dealer codes we have at work, neither wanted to work. But i have access to opus with that dealer code. Go figure.

Also, is there a way to reprint the fricking shipping labels for next? I tried reprinting my RISA/Contract which is usually where the shipping labels are, and it didn't want to reprint. I have to mail my s7 back in, and i can't get figure out a new shipping label, and i don't want to deal with NSS, or the customer equivalent.

\/\/ the only UID i have is my IMO login anyway, since I'm an indirect retailer.

That said, I like my IMO a lot. First bill with all my lines properly added, and my bill is now dirt cheap. Verizon has the better deal with their concession lines, but VZW also wanted a lot more of my blood to get into a postpaid contract. ATT at least lets you buy a gophone and open a postpaid line with that,

Dr Jankenstein fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 23, 2017

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

AA is for Quitters posted:

Mine doesn't work for that, but mine also had a massive issue with getting my IMO started. I tried both dealer codes we have at work, neither wanted to work. But i have access to opus with that dealer code. Go figure.

Also, is there a way to reprint the fricking shipping labels for next? I tried reprinting my RISA/Contract which is usually where the shipping labels are, and it didn't want to reprint. I have to mail my s7 back in, and i can't get figure out a new shipping label, and i don't want to deal with NSS, or the customer equivalent.

:/ If I were to guess, it wants your ATTUID. I wouldn't ask you to hand that out.

EDIT: At this point, if a nice AT&T goon would like to make a new updated OP, I will close this one.

Beefstorm fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 23, 2017

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
My dad is an ATT customer currently using an iPhone 5S. Would he be able to buy this iPhone labeled a GoPhone and use it with his postpaid account?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

My dad is an ATT customer currently using an iPhone 5S. Would he be able to buy this iPhone labeled a GoPhone and use it with his postpaid account?

Unless ATT started locking go phones it should work.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Still planning on sticking with AT&T (They're known to have pretty good reception out here in the central valley in California)... probably going to drop the grandfathered plan in favor of the new Unlimited, since that will open up more lines for unlimited.

What's your guys experiences with DirecTV Now? Right now, as I understand it... with an Unlimited Plus plan, there's Data Free TV, DirecTV Now for cheap, and supposedly the DirecTV Now app (as opposed to the plain DirecTv app) supports HDMI out from an android smartphone... means you could basically turn a phone into a mini cellular cable box for your TV? Am I wrong on that? Granted I've heard DirecTV Now isn't quite cable/satellite, but for live stuff I've heard it's pretty good.

This is of interest since my internet out in the boonies has poo poo bandwidth.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jul 1, 2017

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Unless ATT started locking go phones it should work.

They do, but not to go to postpaid. You still need 6 mos of service before you can unlock it, but doesn't matter if it's pre or post paid

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

AT&T made their shared data plans terrible. I'm on 15 GB for $100 + $15/line, and if I make any changes, I'll pay $20/line, and there aren't even really good options for data bucket upgrades. The only thing I could really move to is 25 GB, but then I can't go back if I drop lines and need less data.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
My wife still loves her Lumia 1020 and its monster camera, but it's about time to upgrade and I think she'd like something with some actual apps. She has a slot on an AT&T plan and pays a la carte for 3GB a month of data for it. What's her best option in Android-land for AT&T these days?

EDIT: Just realized how vague that request was. Looking for an Android phone, something either unlocked or contract-subsidized, running Android and with a good-to-great camera by modern standards.

delfin fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 3, 2017

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

BeAuMaN posted:

Still planning on sticking with AT&T (They're known to have pretty good reception out here in the central valley in California)... probably going to drop the grandfathered plan in favor of the new Unlimited, since that will open up more lines for unlimited.

What's your guys experiences with DirecTV Now? Right now, as I understand it... with an Unlimited Plus plan, there's Data Free TV, DirecTV Now for cheap, and supposedly the DirecTV Now app (as opposed to the plain DirecTv app) supports HDMI out from an android smartphone... means you could basically turn a phone into a mini cellular cable box for your TV? Am I wrong on that? Granted I've heard DirecTV Now isn't quite cable/satellite, but for live stuff I've heard it's pretty good.

This is of interest since my internet out in the boonies has poo poo bandwidth.

Just wanted to say I've followed up on this, and apparently there's a Homebase (Cellular internet/phone router), and you can add those as a device to an unlimited plan. Tried it out in cart (I'm not on one of the new unlimited plans yet, but was testing it):

That's a much better option than trying to rig up a phone with hdmi or whatever. The Homebase itself is a ZTE Z700a with an ethernet port out the back so I can use a proper wireless AP.

Though DirecTV Now does a kind of weird callout in their FAQ about this: https://help.directvnow.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000344403-Can-I-stream-DIRECTV-NOW-data-free-from-an-AT-T-Mobile-Hotspot-

quote:

Other streaming devices including Apple TV and Amazon Fire Stick, do not qualify for data free streaming using an AT&T Mobile Hotspot.

How does that work since a hotspot shares internet? :shrug:

I still think this plan is going to work for the most part.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 3, 2017

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

delfin posted:

My wife still loves her Lumia 1020 and its monster camera, but it's about time to upgrade and I think she'd like something with some actual apps. She has a slot on an AT&T plan and pays a la carte for 3GB a month of data for it. What's her best option in Android-land for AT&T these days?

EDIT: Just realized how vague that request was. Looking for an Android phone, something either unlocked or contract-subsidized, running Android and with a good-to-great camera by modern standards.

If you were adding a new line, they're giving away LG G5s with AT&T Next (I'm not sure how that works, something about bill credits and stuff): https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/lg.html

I don't have one of those, but they look pretty decent looking at the specs.

In the print at the bottom though (when you click "See More Details" on the banner), it says not an upgrade offer. You can also get a free LG Pad something if you buy it with a 2-year contract, but y'know how those things go. (Do I really need the tablet? Aren't the data fees going to be more than the tablet's worth?)

Edit:

quote:

FREE LG G5 Offer:
Limited-time offer, while supplies last (ends 6/30/17 in Puerto Rico). Online only. Not an upgrade offer. Elig. Device: New LG G5 on 0% APR AT&T Next (30-mo. at $22.97/mo.) or AT&T Next Every Year (24-mo. at $28.71/mo.) installment agmt. $0 down for well-qualified credit or down payment may be req’d. Retail price is divided into monthly installments. Tax on full retail price due at sale. After all credits, get LG G5 priced $688.99 for free. Wireless: Monthly postpaid voice & data req’d (existing customers can add to elig. current plans). If cancel svc., you will owe device balance of up to $688.99. Bill Credit: Applied in equal amounts toward installment payments over entire agmt term. Svc. must remain active & in good standing for up to 30 mos. and device must remain on its agmt for entire term to get all its credits. If upgrade or pay up/off agmt early your credits may cease. Device Limits/Exclusions: Purch. limits apply. May not be combinable w/ credits, discounts & offers. Participation in this offer may make your wireless account ineligible for select other offers (including select bill credit offers) for a 12 month period. Return: Restocking fee up to $45 may apply.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 3, 2017

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The LG G5 is really bad and has multiple known issues. Holy hell don't buy a Lg G5.

Actually, don't buy LG anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

The LG G5 is really bad and has multiple known issues. Holy hell don't buy a Lg G5.

Actually, don't buy LG anything.

It seemed like every LG phone AT&T got was just destined to not do well.