Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Can't wait to see how the bicycle lands cause Life From The Loam, Splendid Reclamation, and possibly Amulet of Vigor to all shoot up in price a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Those lands are awesome. I loving love cycling.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

InterrupterJones posted:

Can't wait to see how the bicycle lands cause Life From The Loam, Splendid Reclamation, and possibly Amulet of Vigor to all shoot up in price a bit.

knight of the reliquary, too

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
These will make for some interesting play decisions. Example, if you have an opening hand with 2 basics and 1 cycle land, do you lead on the cycle to prevent tap issues as to curve out? Or lead on basics to keep the cycle option open if you flood out?

What if you had 3 basics and a cycler? Etc.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

:perfect:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

These will make for some interesting play decisions. Example, if you have an opening hand with 2 basics and 1 cycle land, do you lead on the cycle to prevent tap issues as to curve out? Or lead on basics to keep the cycle option open if you flood out?

What if you had 3 basics and a cycler? Etc.

It's mostly of similar utility and power as Temples in my opinion. Temples offer more utility in the early game because you get scry and the land, but Cyclelands offer a better topdeck and a small mana sink.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm going to pretend the bicycle lands were untyped and uncommon and the change back to yearly rotations for Standard meant the enemy fetchland reprints were scrapped because that makes me feel better about things.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThePeavstenator posted:

These new duals are cool and good, hopefully they fix the Cat/Vehicles problem with standard through bans or with the release of this set. I'd like to play some Grixis again.

Luckily the vehicles problem gets fixed if cat gets banned. We will see decks like G/B delirium, running Ishkanahs put it in place or regular G/W tokens.
The only other cards I could see them banning is Walking Ballista which is a dumb idea or Heart of Kiran, which I wouldn't mind.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Star Man posted:

I'm going to pretend the bicycle lands were untyped and uncommon and the change back to yearly rotations for Standard meant the enemy fetchland reprints were scrapped because that makes me feel better about things.

You guys are gonna try so hard to get bicycle lands to stick, and then will be all whiny and sad in the chat when Cedric calls them Cyclelands on camera.

Hint: nobody cares about Lonely Sandbar. They're just gonna be "cyclelands" if they aren't just "plays an Irrigated Farmland" with no reference at all to the type in general.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

You guys are gonna try so hard to get bicycle lands to stick, and then will be all whiny and sad in the chat when Cedric calls them Cyclelands on camera.

Hint: nobody cares about Lonely Sandbar. They're just gonna be "cyclelands" if they aren't just "plays an Irrigated Farmland" with no reference at all to the type in general.

:goonsay:

Look at this nerd, probably doesn't even call 'em Bofalands.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I'm not real big on cutesy nicknames but I will say that bicycle lands is at least better than tango lands was.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Angry Grimace posted:

It's mostly of similar utility and power as Temples in my opinion. Temples offer more utility in the early game because you get scry and the land, but Cyclelands offer a better topdeck and a small mana sink.

No these are more powerful by a sizable margin due to deck building and starting hand considerations. You could easily play 28 or more lands if 6-8 of them cycle and you can keep a 6 land hand, with 2 cycle lands where that would be an easy mulligan with scry lands. With the new mulligan rules turn one scry is also devalued a fair bit.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Marketing New Brain posted:

No these are more powerful by a sizable margin due to deck building and starting hand considerations. You could easily play 28 or more lands if 6-8 of them cycle and you can keep a 6 land hand, with 2 cycle lands where that would be an easy mulligan with scry lands. With the new mulligan rules turn one scry is also devalued a fair bit.

On the reverse side the Temples let you play less land overall. Ivan Floch's UW Control deck that won PT M15 was as draw-go as it gets and ran 26 (granted, part of this was Dissolve, which is why I've previously remarked that Dissolve is quite a bit better than the other 3 mana counters). If you were playing other land types you'd be looking at more like 28 or even 29.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 31, 2017

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I remember playing like 22 in my aggro Gruul deck back then. Fun times. I really ought to tweak that deck for fun times at a modern fnm.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Non-promo Glorybringer looks so baller.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Marketing New Brain posted:

If you keep a 6 land hand with 2 cycle lands, I will consider that a free victory. They don't cycle for free; you are suggesting that you will spend at least two turns between turn 1 and 4 doing nothing but drawing a card with no actual gameplan. I am 100% okay playing into that. You may be able to play like 1 extra land in a control deck, if such a deck exists, but for the most part these are a bigger boon to aggro decks that want to get to their actual threats after they've hit 4 lands.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
So Always Watching and Exert are going to be legal together, right? Exerting something doesn't tap it, just causes it to not untap?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Balon posted:

So Always Watching and Exert are going to be legal together, right? Exerting something doesn't tap it, just causes it to not untap?
Correct.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

you are the gooniest mother fucker in this thread, and this thread has sickening and mcmagic in it

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

you are the gooniest mother fucker in this thread, and this thread has sickening and mcmagic in it

Look fucker, I don't know who you think you are but you leave sickening alone

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 31, 2017

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

*cough*

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

*also raises paw*

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Shadow225 posted:

If you keep a 6 land hand with 2 cycle lands, I will consider that a free victory. They don't cycle for free; you are suggesting that you will spend at least two turns between turn 1 and 4 doing nothing but drawing a card with no actual gameplan. I am 100% okay playing into that. You may be able to play like 1 extra land in a control deck, if such a deck exists, but for the most part these are a bigger boon to aggro decks that want to get to their actual threats after they've hit 4 lands.

We don't even know what the format will look like yet, but 6 lands, 2 of which cycle, and Fatal Push looks very different than 6 lands, 2 of which Scry, and Fatal Push. I'm not saying aggro decks won't run a few of these, because I have no idea, but they will definitely not be running many of them, they never want a lot of lands that come into play tapped, they're more suited to control and grindy midrange decks.

If embalm gets printed on enough good creatures I'm expecting standard to be grindy as hell, especially if the dumb Cat eats a ban.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Gp buylist prices for the reprinted cards in mm17 are interesting. 70 bucks for goyf. 35-40 for tarn.

If anyone finds a vendor that is selling ultimate guard sidewinders let me know.

Also this venue is really nice and kicks the poo poo out of a lot other venues.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
loving April Fools man

https://twitter.com/SaffronOlive/status/847923253964394497

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

way too good to be real

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

lol, how did he fall for that rushjob?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Rinkles posted:

I dunno, after the Invocations this looks pretty spot on.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Want to Gifts Ungiven for that every day of the week

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Finally,a use for Tibalt

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rinkles posted:

well, i have a feeling he made it so

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
oh my god nevermind i read his tweets after it, holy crap i don't want to call him dumb but c'mon now

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

oh my god nevermind i read his tweets after it, holy crap i don't want to call him dumb but c'mon now

He's really easy to troll with fakes

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
standard needs a 2 mana instant speed wrath with upside, could have fooled anyone.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Hooray point #1: Cycling duals!
Hooray point #2: They're typed!

Boo point #1: Why the ever-loving gently caress are they allied colors?! We already have goofy ally-colored typed duals two blocks ago!

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

AlternateNu posted:

Hooray point #1: Cycling duals!
Hooray point #2: They're typed!

Boo point #1: Why the ever-loving gently caress are they allied colors?! We already have goofy ally-colored typed duals two blocks ago!

We got goofy enemy-colored duals last block. I guess they're holding the enemy ones in their pocket for the next time they do cycling 10 years from now or whatever.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Attorney at Funk posted:

We got goofy enemy-colored duals last block. I guess they're holding the enemy ones in their pocket for the next time they do cycling 10 years from now or whatever.

they're coming next block to celebrate cycling becoming an evergreen mechanic

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Yeah my guess is that the plan is to just alternate between ally and enemy duals each block now that we get two every year.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

mandatory lesbian posted:

they're coming next block to celebrate cycling becoming an evergreen mechanic

God, I wish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

whydirt posted:

Yeah my guess is that the plan is to just alternate between ally and enemy duals each block now that we get two every year.

That's my assumption, too. But having all of these typed duals being the same color pairs is kind of super bullshit for EDH (and maybe for modern if these break out somehow).

• Locked thread