Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

denimgorilla posted:

I'm fairly certain its Korbolo Dom's child. His dusky blue skin is noted almost every time he's in a scene and the child has blue skin.

Apologies if it seems like I'm jumping down your throat, you're not the only one to do this, but you've utterly missed the point of what I'm trying to say.

There is no mystery about the parentage. Scillara openly identifies the father as either Korbolo Dom or Kamist Reloe (as in, she names one, I can't remember which of the two it is) in The Bonehunters.

But the rape scene in House of Chains felt to me like extremely heavy foreshadowing, that the father was the guy who got stabbed whilst raping her, making it a Child of the Dead Seed, albeit one conceived outside the Pannion Domin.

Then in the Bonehunters it's revealed to be Korbolist Relom.

The issue I have is the discrepancy between them - HoC hints at some dark significance about the childs conception, tBH drops that completely and focuses on Scillara's attitude to being saddled with a child. It's a great piece of writing, but it feels totally at odds with the build up.

When I think critically about the book it's very weird to me that he sets up something in this very obvious fashion only to not follow through with it. And whilst reading, I found it downright disorientating - there are these plots that I engaged with, plots where I was confident he'd reward me for my devotion, plots that I imagine his fans have written thousands of words of forums posts about, and then the either vanish or get derailed by something unexpected at the last minute.

Perhaps a stronger example:In MoI Caladan Brood has a hammer that can destroy all life on earth and is torn about whether to use it to free Burn from the Crippled God. That's One Ring level of MacGuffin right there. And it is never mentioned again in BotF, a series entirely about the battle with the Crippled God. It's like if a history of the Second World War covered the invasion of Paris and then never mentioned Occupied France again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm pretty sure that hammer gets used at the end of Toll the Hounds to break something fairly significant.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ha! That it does. But that kind of pales in comparison to wiping out the planet and starting again.

Although Brood's cameo at the end of TtH is the exact kind of mythic story telling that keeps me coming back.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
He uses the hammer again in Orb, Sceptre, Throne, doesn't he?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The hammer gets used in memories of ice too

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Finally finished Blood and Bone, drat it was good. I'm starting to like ICE more and more, now unto Assail!

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Uh oh

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I liked Blood and Bone a lot too. All I was looking for was a fun side story and I think ICE succeeded in that, it's also his best emulation of Erikson's style imo.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Thing about Erikson's style is he really knows how to do a proper ending with fireworks. ICE... just no. He makes Kallor boring, I wouldn't have thought that possible.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Thing about Erikson's style is he really knows how to do a proper ending with fireworks. ICE... just no. He makes Kallor boring, I wouldn't have thought that possible.

I do agree with the first part, Erikson really does a good wrap up on almost all his books, Ice not so much. I was happy with K tho, I was scared for him for a moment :(

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Better he be boring than mopey and crying his eyes out for an entire book.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I really liked what Erikson did with Kallor in TtH and the flashbacks in DoD/tCG. MoI Kallor was kind of cartoonishly evil, so it was great to see his weaknesses, and his messed up sense of honour and loyalty.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

But the rape scene in House of Chains felt to me like extremely heavy foreshadowing, that the father was the guy who got stabbed whilst raping her, making it a Child of the Dead Seed, albeit one conceived outside the Pannion Domin.

Then in the Bonehunters it's revealed to be Korbolist Relom.

The issue I have is the discrepancy between them - HoC hints at some dark significance about the childs conception

Your whole argument is based on this fact that there was "heavy foreshadowing" and "dark significance" surrounding the rape and birth, but I've read the books more times than I can imagine and I have never once noted even fleetingly that there was anything more to the story than characterisation for Scillara.

I think your premise is flawed, basically you are complaining about the author not finishing a plotline that I don't think he ever even started.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

bucketybuck posted:

Your whole argument is based on this fact that there was "heavy foreshadowing" and "dark significance" surrounding the rape and birth, but I've read the books more times than I can imagine and I have never once noted even fleetingly that there was anything more to the story than characterisation for Scillara.

I think your premise is flawed, basically you are complaining about the author not finishing a plotline that I don't think he ever even started.

Yeah, this is what I was thinking but thought I was crazy when no one else said this.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

bucketybuck posted:

Yes. Yes I am.

It's literally that one line in the rape scene.

Edit: vvvv Instead of taking the piss, do you want to tell me why I'm wrong?

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 31, 2017

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
whyauthorsdrink.txt

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The only way I can imagine someone wouldn't make a connection between Scillara's pregnancy and the Tenescowri thing was if they had forgotten the whole Anaster storyline by the time the read it (very possible in these books).

It's not reaching to expect an actual connection between her child and the children of the dead seed to develop. When you create a whole group that does a specific hosed up thing as their modus operandi, and then that same hosed up thing happens elsewhere later on, the mind is naturally going to put two and two together.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I noticed it when it happened but when it was never brought up or referenced in any way in the next 4,000 pages I just shrugged and said "guess not."

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Finished Assail and my only comment is confusion about ICE forgetting he already showed the Avowed being near unkillable monsters in RotCG. I mean really Shimmer you didn't think something was up in the last what 70 or so years when people who should have died in battle, didn't?

Other than that, it was fine. Maybe low expectations played into it.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Guyver posted:

Other than that, it was fine. Maybe low expectations played into it.

Ya about that I tried reading night of knives but the writing was so bad that I just dropped it. It was like Gardens of Moon levels bad but without the epic moments like the Siege of Pale.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Karsa O'erlong

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I'm about to finish Assail (dunno why goons hate it so much). What should I read now? Bauchelain? Fall of Darkness? The one about Dancer?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

For a lot of people Assail was a big letdown, it gets hyped up hard in the main series as a place not even badasses dare go, and ICE's take on it doesn't live up to that hype.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

turboraton posted:

I'm about to finish Assail (dunno why goons hate it so much). What should I read now? Bauchelain? Fall of Darkness? The one about Dancer?

The Bauchelain and Korbal Broach books were pretty entertaining.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I'm in the very first pages and GOD drat.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

turboraton posted:

I'm in the very first pages and GOD drat.

Strap in and get ready for some poo poo. Also please post reactions and theories.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I've just reached the Gruesome Twosome murdering their sister and servants in the middle of Forge of Darkness. Erikson really is very good at these what-the-gently caress-just-happened moments isn't he?

I'm getting occasionally hints of the last season of Lost, where mysteries that we've come to accept get replaced with new mysteries that don't actually answer anything, but seeing all these characters in a completely different environment is well worth it. Especially Draconus, who manages to be both an absolute hardass and totally chill at the same time.

I'm envisioning endless arguments among fans about the best place to read this trilogy next to BotF. I think after House of Chains would be a good spot - Midnight Tides would be improved by seeing how the history has been warped and distorted down the years (or do it straight after, to keep the feeling of "everything you thought you knew is wrong") and it would give Toll the Hounds an extra kick of tragedy.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

You have to remember that the Karakanas books are what Gallan told Fisher and it's right there in the first bit about how what he doesn't remember he'll just make up.

Trying to fit it all together with what's in BotF would drive anyone mad. Because at the end of the day it's not supposed to.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Guyver posted:

You have to remember that the Karakanas books are what Gallan told Fisher and it's right there in the first bit about how what he doesn't remember he'll just make up.

Trying to fit it all together with what's in BotF would drive anyone mad. Because at the end of the day it's not supposed to.

I am a tiresomely literal man, and I know that despite that message my instinct will be to take what happens in this trilogy as the gospel truth. I fully expect I will throw a tantrum when it inevitably doesn't match or contradicts itself, and I half-suspect Erikson will have put such things in there deliberately to piss me off to make a point about the malleable nature of history.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I finished these late last year and keep thinking about just how much FUN they are to read. I enjoy reading all kinds of stuff but am pretty casual about it, but I was giddy to get back to this series as soon as I got home and would go for hours on end and would think about it when I wasn't reading it. Not that it doesn't have moments of pure boredom that dulled my enthusiasm some, but the highs are such purely good entertainment, and not without some serious food for thought either.

Since then I've tried reading more sci-fi and fantasy (since I'd barely read any pre-Malazan). I liked some of Philip K. Dick's books. Some other things looking promising and are in my library. But I might be chasing a high I can't replicate.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'm envisioning endless arguments among fans about the best place to read this trilogy next to BotF. I think after House of Chains would be a good spot - Midnight Tides would be improved by seeing how the history has been warped and distorted down the years (or do it straight after, to keep the feeling of "everything you thought you knew is wrong") and it would give Toll the Hounds an extra kick of tragedy.

I think they're best read after finishing the main series, since the fall of Kharkanas gets so much direct attention in the last few books. Several Tiste characters and concepts don't get introduced until late in the series, and then you see how they originated in the trilogy.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
So I'm about to finish The Healthy Dead and these are my impresions of the first 3 Bauchelain Stories:

THEY ARE VERY GOOD

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Just wait until you get to Crack'd Pot Trail.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Need your advice, goons. If I didn't particularly liked Gardens of the Moon, does it make sense going forward?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Give the second book a shot, it's got one of the best storylines in the series. If you end up not liking that, there's probably no sense in going forward.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

dumb and kinda scared posted:

Need your advice, goons. If I didn't particularly liked Gardens of the Moon, does it make sense going forward?
yeah, GotM was written 10 years before the rest of the series and it shows, with some really clumsy writing. I like it for what it is but it's not super representative of the rest of the series.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
I concur that you should keep going. For me, it made absolutely zero sense until much later, but the payout is so great that it was worth the initial struggle.

Also I'm bummed because I left my kindle on a plane and now I'm in a foreign country with no good English books to read. I just got to the part with the snake and the quitters on my reread and, again, now that I know what's going on it's fantastic.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

dumb and kinda scared posted:

Eh, you should have started with the second book.
I guess that says it all.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Stop telling people that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
You should start and finish with the second book.