FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

what is with these people. i received three emails in 3 days from the same guy

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender

ahaha it was from exactly this dude

double ohm seven
Jul 14, 2016
i switched jobs and title from "senior full stack developer" to "team lead/scrum master" and the number of cold calls from recruiters has fallen like a loving rock lol

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

rotor posted:

yeah they always have plenty of room for stanford grads and weird autists who are good at making everything a sorting problem
you'd think

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
Feeling super positive this morning after two more phone screens. Offers are incoming. Life looks good.

Get into the office and ten minutes later I've got that sense of dread. Don't be lazy like me and wait to to long to leave. Listen to your gut.

2 days to go before I'm free :toot:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

JawnV6 posted:

you'd think

idk it doesn't really seem like you're good at making everything a sorting problem

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Rudest Buddhist posted:

Feeling super positive this morning after two more phone screens. Offers are incoming. Life looks good.

Get into the office and ten minutes later I've got that sense of dread. Don't be lazy like me and wait to to long to leave. Listen to your gut.

2 days to go before I'm free :toot:

once you have an offer you like you'll see how the dread disappears when you stop caring. I don't even have an offer I want to take yet and I already have difficulty making myself care about whatever work bullshit is happening now

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i have employment envy

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

echinopsis posted:

i have employment envy

i had deepthroat envy, until recently :wink:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol, now the whole empowerment thing makes sense huh

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

double ohm seven posted:

i switched jobs and title from "senior full stack developer" to "team lead/scrum master" and the number of cold calls from recruiters has fallen like a loving rock lol

i didn't know that could be a full time position

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
got a phone screen with shared coding for something I'm actually interested in this morning so naturally I've been awake since 5am for no reason.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
talked with a guy who said he was having trouble recruiting engineers onto his team

5 minutes into the conversation he mentions "oh yeah, we drug test every month" 👌

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

not even complete teetotalers would put up with that

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
ask them if their management get tested too

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

LinYutang posted:

talked with a guy who said he was having trouble recruiting engineers onto his team

5 minutes into the conversation he mentions "oh yeah, we drug test every month" 👌

:perfect:

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

MeruFM posted:

i didn't know that could be a full time position

It can and its as ridiculous as you expect it would be.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I would pass a drug test any day but a company that disrespects its employees like that can get hosed.

in the same vein, a startup I used to work for got acquired. after I left they brought in a new manager, a former marine who instituted a no jeans policy and everyone had to be in the office by 9am. unsurprisingly most of the team found new jobs shortly after that.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
"what young people need is discipline"

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

echinopsis posted:

"what young people need is discipline"

This, except full grown adults, and ironically

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

LinYutang posted:

talked with a guy who said he was having trouble recruiting engineers onto his team

5 minutes into the conversation he mentions "oh yeah, we drug test every month" 👌

Lol

The Management posted:

I would pass a drug test any day but a company that disrespects its employees like that can get hosed.

in the same vein, a startup I used to work for got acquired. after I left they brought in a new manager, a former marine who instituted a no jeans policy and everyone had to be in the office by 9am. unsurprisingly most of the team found new jobs shortly after that.

Double lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

welp, got the second offer from the place I didn't like as much and it's low, even accounting for it being full time instead of contract so I think I might have a new job

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

ask them if their management get tested too

You know the answer. :allears:

The Management posted:

I would pass a drug test any day but a company that disrespects its employees like that can get hosed.

in the same vein, a startup I used to work for got acquired. after I left they brought in a new manager, a former marine who instituted a no jeans policy and everyone had to be in the office by 9am. unsurprisingly most of the team found new jobs shortly after that.

I never wear jeans and I am in the office by 6am. But if somebody told me I couldn't wear jeans and had to be in the office by 9, I would wear jeans and come in at 10.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
That comic of programmers getting more slovenly as they get more employed

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

LinYutang posted:

talked with a guy who said he was having trouble recruiting engineers onto his team

5 minutes into the conversation he mentions "oh yeah, we drug test every month" 👌

name and shame

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

LinYutang posted:

That comic of programmers getting more slovenly as they get more employed
I wore a polo shirt and jeans for a while and the first time I wore a t-shirt my manager commented on it. now all I wear is t-shirts and jeans because who cares

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

JewKiller 3000 posted:

name and shame

something heavily regulated or public sector in a bad state

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

once when I worked at retardo lockheed martin a manager (not mine) emailed my manager to 'tattle' that I was wearing jeans on a non-Friday. My manager didn't really care, but I swear to god this is the email that was sent:

From: some idiot
To: My manager
Subject: VYO69 in Jeans?
Body: Is today casual day?

They weren't real surprised when I left, despite getting an A+ perf review

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
last place I worked didn't do drug testing in part because they knew if they did they'd be letting go half their workforce

current job does random drug testing but whatever, I never was big on weed anyway and they're really nice enough otherwise which makes up for it for me.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

last place I worked didn't do drug testing in part because they knew if they did they'd be letting go half their workforce

an advantage to your company being hq'd in silicon valley

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
who gives a poo poo if your employees are taking drugs in their spare time?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
a lot of people actually. see the war on drugs

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
esp if you're expected to drive in any official capacity eg on the clock

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

esp if you're expected to drive in any official capacity eg on the clock

being high at home on the weekend is very different from being high at work. driving under the influence is illegal.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i drive a chair around an office

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

The Management posted:

being high at home on the weekend is very different from being high at work. driving under the influence is illegal.

cool let me know when they come up w/ a chemical test for that to get you outta bein buttfucked by hr over insurance liability

it's super lovely yeah but they have absolutely no motivation to make it better

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Suspicious posted:

a lot of people actually. see the war on drugs

lol

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Rex-Goliath posted:

an advantage to your company being hq'd in silicon valley

nah this was in Oregon, although the corporate HQ (& now sole location) is in the Larry Flynt building in LA

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

From: some idiot
To: My manager
Body: Is today casual day?

They weren't real surprised when I left, despite getting an A+ perf review

i parked a nissan versa next to someones vw eos. they'd regularly parked it away from the rest of the cars in the office parking lot and i thought it was funny to have my shitbox parked next to the (somewhat) nicer cars. apparently the vw eos owner was offended and figured out who my manager was, then whined at them about my transgression

to their credit my manager was all 'lol you wont believe what this piece of poo poo just said to me'

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

last place I worked didn't do drug testing in part because they knew if they did they'd be letting go half their workforce

i had once worked at a place that got acquired after i left

- the acquirer had a drug testing policy
- the acquiree was based in berkeley, ca
- a majority of the acquiree's employees left within a month

  • Locked thread