Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

CVagts posted:

Hey I just got my Best Buy Switch today. Are there any must-have accessories that I should go out and look for? Like a carrying case, Pro controller, that charging grip?

I honestly wouldn't bother yet; it's all really hard to find right now. The Pro controller is nice, but after spending some time with the Joy-Cons, I wouldn't call it a must-have. Believe it or not, I largely preferred a Joy-Con in each hand for Splatoon 2 over the Pro controller. That configuration worked pretty well in Zelda, too.

A case is pretty much a must if you plan on taking the Switch with you on the go, so keep an eye out for one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

CVagts posted:

Hey I just got my Best Buy Switch today. Are there any must-have accessories that I should go out and look for? Like a carrying case, Pro controller, that charging grip?

I dunno man, what do you think you need?

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Since the Joycons charge when they're plugged into the Switch itself, I don't think I need the charging grip. I'll hold off on the Pro controller until I get a feel for the Joycons and see how it feels (the $70 price tag is really daunting).

Is there a specific case that would be recommended? I don't know if I'll need it anytime soon, but it would be nice to have.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Can we please add the AMFilm protector to the OP? Along with goon consensus on Pro Controller, Neo Geo Turf Masters.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

CVagts posted:

Since the Joycons charge when they're plugged into the Switch itself, I don't think I need the charging grip. I'll hold off on the Pro controller until I get a feel for the Joycons and see how it feels (the $70 price tag is really daunting).

Is there a specific case that would be recommended? I don't know if I'll need it anytime soon, but it would be nice to have.

https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Carrying-Waterproof-Protective-Detachable-Controller/dp/B06XDZVM4J

This is the only truly good case.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Gunna attempt to find a pro controller today. I loving suck aiming with the short throw on the joycon sticks.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Pro controller best controller

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

CVagts posted:

I love this case

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MY9JB2U/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My pros, since i have no cons really...
-Hard Case
-Has recessed holes for the Joycons, so it fits perfectly inside it.
-Flappy thing is soft and protects the screen. Has a zipper in it so things don't fly out of the case. Flappy thing doesn't rest against the analog sticks like other cases I've seen. I store my USB-A to USB-C cable for charging in here.
-Under the Switch is a recessed spot where the two game card holders fit. Inside that case fits a smaller case that will hold 2 Micro SD cards that take up the spot of one game. So you could take 6 games and 4 Micro SD cards, or 8 games and no Micro SD cards in these cases. Or I suppose 7 games and 2 Micro SD Cards.
-More than enough room to throw in my Bose Quiet Comfort noise canceling headphones on top of it all.
-5 designs to pick from. 1 generic one with Switch branding, 4 Zelda ones.

Here is a photo of the inside of the case on the bottom, which the Amazon photos don't show off.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Astro7x posted:

I love this case

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MY9JB2U/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My pros, since i have no cons really...
-Hard Case
-Has recessed holes for the Joycons, so it fits perfectly inside it.
-Flappy thing is soft and protects the screen. Has a zipper in it so things don't fly out of the case. Flappy thing doesn't rest against the analog sticks like other cases I've seen. I store my USB-A to USB-C cable for charging in here.
-Under the Switch is a recessed spot where the two game card holders fit. Inside that case fits a smaller case that will hold 2 Micro SD cards that take up the spot of one game. So you could take 6 games and 4 Micro SD cards, or 8 games and no Micro SD cards in these cases. Or I suppose 7 games and 2 Micro SD Cards.
-More than enough room to throw in my Bose Quiet Comfort noise canceling headphones on top of it all.
-5 designs to pick from. 1 generic one with Switch branding, 4 Zelda ones.

Here is a photo of the inside of the case on the bottom, which the Amazon photos don't show off.

Bad case, sad! Too big, no space!

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

I bought this case along with a spare USB-C charger, so I can charge it in handheld mode without swapping cables out. Thanks for the recommendation.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I had bought an extra USB-C cable for charging but the Pro Controller came with one as well so now I have a spare one at home. My anker power pack that I bought forever ago has been working great for charging the Switch on the go.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

The pro controller usb-c has the nintendo logo on it. I generally DGAF about cables, but there is something insta-sentimental that I can't just take it out.

Picked up the only 9 dollar usb-c cable they had at FRYS.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Rirse posted:

If you can manage to get four victories with a victory lap (the run has you as The Lost, so better have dead cat or holy mantle in advance) then you unlock the option to continue any run upon finishing minus challenges. Especially fun to do that if you get a sacrifice room on floor one and decide you want to just quickly kill Mega Satan.

It's entirely possible I hella bugged my copy, then, because I got the RERUN achievement but RERUN never actually displays on my screen-- I can choose the greyed-out "Continue" option though :downs:

But yeah, the actual "would you like to victory lap" text only seems to trigger from Lamb kills.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I bought the charging grip on day one and have literally never used it. Unless you regularly use two sets of joycon or never play in handheld mode it's pretty unnecessary. If it's docked all the time you might as well just go with a pro controller.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

inferis posted:

I bought the charging grip on day one and have literally never used it. Unless you regularly use two sets of joycon or never play in handheld mode it's pretty unnecessary. If it's docked all the time you might as well just go with a pro controller.

I have a second pair of joycon in my charging grip which I use pretty often. My original pair stays connected to the console at almost all times except when I'm in tabletop mode.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

inferis posted:

Do they even sell the weird plastic shell grip on its own?

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I quite like the Joycons in tablet mode, but the Joycon grip hurt my hand a bit. As someone who prefers playing Zelda on a monitor the Pro controller is pretty much perfect for me, I can't recommend it highly enough.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Best Buy somehow sent me one for free with my Switch but the charging grip is really silly. All it does is allow you to charge the joycons while they're still in the grip. I thought it would have another battery in it that powered the joycons or something. I can't believe Nintendo even sells it and any money towards it would be much better spent on a pro controller.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I'm assuming that the Joycons will charge whenever they're plugged into the Switch itself. So if I put the Switch and attached Joycons into the dock, they'll all charge, right? And if that's the case, I don't see myself needing a charging grip.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Edit:^^^^^^- Yes, when the joycons are connected to the console, docked or not docked, they charge.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Best Buy somehow sent me one for free with my Switch but the charging grip is really silly. All it does is allow you to charge the joycons while they're still in the grip. I thought it would have another battery in it that powered the joycons or something. I can't believe Nintendo even sells it and any money towards it would be much better spent on a pro controller.

Pretty much this. $30 for a grip that needs to be connected to the console via USB-C for it to have any use, or $70 for a second rechargeable controller that is more comfortable? Go with the second controller.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

CVagts posted:

I'm assuming that the Joycons will charge whenever they're plugged into the Switch itself. So if I put the Switch and attached Joycons into the dock, they'll all charge, right? And if that's the case, I don't see myself needing a charging grip.

You are correct. Charging grip is only useful if you have two sets of Joycons.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Separate joycons are really nice to use, I don't even see why I'd need a pro controller.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

What I meant to say was that I have two sets of joycon and I still never use the charging grip but I guess ymmv

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Tender Bender posted:

Separate joycons are really nice to use, I don't even see why I'd need a pro controller.

If you like it joycon then you don't. But its a drat fine controller.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 31, 2017

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

I felt the same after using them for about 90 hours of Zelda but then I picked up a PS4 controller for the first time in 2 weeks and immediately decided I needed a pro controller :\

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

acksplode posted:

I felt the same after using them for about 90 hours of Zelda but then I picked up a PS4 controller for the first time in 2 weeks and immediately decided I needed a pro controller :\

DS4 feels bad in my hand after 100 hours with pro controller.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Bill Barber posted:

Do they even sell the weird plastic shell grip on its own?

It's available for $20 on the Nintendo Store under replacement parts.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I'm pretty happy with having four joycons, a charging grip, and a pro controller. Gives me four small controllers easily, or three big controllers.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Anyone lose a joycon yet?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Bombadilillo posted:

DS4 feels bad in my hand after 100 hours with pro controller.

Same thing happened to me. After playing through Zelda, Shovel Knight, Blaster Master Zero and lots of runs of Binding of Isaac with the pro controller, I decided to play Mirror's Edge on PS4. Both the game and controller were let downs.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I'm pretty happy with having four joycons, a charging grip, and a pro controller. Gives me four small controllers easily, or three big controllers.

It's a bit weird to me that those things sell, considering how Nintendo priced them :shrug:

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Anyone lose a joycon yet?

My left one is on it's way to Nintendo repair center, and it wasn't because of the desync issue. The analog stick would occasionally get stuck to the right, even when connected to the switch in mobile mode. This is also why I'm glad I have a pro controller.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Lmao, just... hold on. The loving charging grip doesn't even have a battery in it? I thought that was the point. Eat poo poo nintenDONT!

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Lmao, just... hold on. The loving charging grip doesn't even have a battery in it? I thought that was the point. Eat poo poo nintenDONT!

It lasts about 20 hours without plugging it in.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

inferis posted:

It lasts about 20 hours without plugging it in.

For 30 it could have something more than some wiring to connect power.nintendo is a bunch of greedy assholes but this is just insane. and I'm a guy with a whole second dock & power.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

LethalGeek posted:

For 30 it could have something more than some wiring to connect power.nintendo is a bunch of greedy assholes but this is just insane. and I'm a guy with a whole second dock & power.
You don't have to buy it. I don't think anyone is complaining about the battery life of the joycons. Them offering a product isn't in itself greedy.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I also assumed the charging controller had a battery in it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Hows the joycon not in use life? I know I put my switch down not docked for 2 days and it was at 50% haven't touched the joycons not attached in a week. I wonder if they are dead.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Jackbox doesn't have online play unless you stream the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Buy a pro controller I don't know why you guys are buying charging grips

• Locked thread