Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
EW is reporting that Whedon's Batgirl won't be based on the recent version aimed toward the female demographic and will instead use Gail Simone's N52 run as starting point. This would mean the story of Barbara recuperation from Joker's attack.

quote:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer creator Joss Whedon will be writing, directing, and producing a big-screen Batgirl film, telling the solo story of the female super heroine.

Sources tell EW that this version will be Barbara Gordon, daughter of Commissioner Gordon, and the movie will use the DC Comics “New 52” version of the character as a starting point.

In that timeline, launched in 2011, Barbara Gordon has recovered from a paralyzing spinal injury notoriously inflicted on her by the Joker in the 1988 graphic novel The Killing Joke. In the earlier books, that damage confined her to a wheelchair and ended her flying, swinging, punching career as Batgirl — but she continued to fight the good fight under the name Oracle as a super-hacker.

The New 52 books feature her several years after the Joker attack, having recovered full mobility after experimental surgery, although she is still haunted by the near-death experience.

It’s unclear how much of that series, written by Gail Simone, will be incorporated into Whedon’s film, but sources tell EW the movie will follow Simone’s harder-edged storyline rather than the more comical, playful “Batgirl of Burnside” series that was rebooted in 2014, featuring the hero as a social-media obsessed student living in a hipster neighborhood of Gotham.

Honestly, this really sounds like an April Fool's joke that got out early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I like that even with the Joss Whedon DCEU Batgirl movie they still went with the darkest and grittiest version of the character they could.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Gail Simone is hardly dark and gritty. It's a story taking place years after the dark and gritty about recovering and becoming Batgirl again.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

ungulateman posted:

They did? gently caress, I don't remember that at all, which is weird because the dumb version from the comics was literally the first thing I thought of when I saw Renner was going to be in the new movie. I'm just so tired of all these Civil Wars.

It was pretty brief:

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Wasnt whedon supposed to do the wonder woman movie a while ago?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Uncle Wemus posted:

Wasnt whedon supposed to do the wonder woman movie a while ago?

He did a TV show pilot that got cancelled or something like that

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Hat Thoughts posted:

He did a TV show pilot that got cancelled or something like that

If you're talking about this monstrosity I don't think Whedon had anything to do with that.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Whedon had a Wonder Woman script several years ago that WB was considering - before the DCEU - and passed on.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
He did write that Wonder Woman film script though where "Wonder Woman" is a sentient suit from space and whenever Wonder Woman dies the suit crawls to nearest woman and dresses itself onto her and that person becomes the new Wonder Woman.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

(I like Renner and Hawkeye is fine, but "shoot arrows good" will always be funny when sitting next to Ant-Man, The Hulk, or Thor)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Neo Rasa posted:

He did write that Wonder Woman film script though where "Wonder Woman" is a sentient suit from space and whenever Wonder Woman dies the suit crawls to nearest woman and dresses itself onto her and that person becomes the new Wonder Woman.

So ... The Santa Clause?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Jeremy Renner passed on Mission Impossible Six and is going to co-star in Ant-Man and The Wasp.

This is part of Marvel's post-Infinity War direction of "Unexpected team ups and intimate character stories."

It seems like they wanted to focus on Ant-Man and The Wasp, so they made sure to bring in the person who would least distract from them.

(I like Renner and Hawkeye is fine, but "shoot arrows good" will always be funny when sitting next to Ant-Man, The Hulk, or Thor)

I like Renner and feel like his knack for comedy is underrated, so I think this rules.

I also think the smaller random teamups are a way better idea than the bloated Civil War/Infinity Gauntlet ideas.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

davidspackage posted:

I like Renner and feel like his knack for comedy is underrated, so I think this rules.

In the movies Hawkeye is the dull guy though.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Electromax posted:

It was pretty brief:

Wait, why did Iron Man stop chasing eagle guy?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

EW is reporting that Whedon's Batgirl won't be based on the recent version aimed toward the female demographic and will instead use Gail Simone's N52 run as starting point. This would mean the story of Barbara recuperation from Joker's attack.

Makes sense, wouldn't be Whedon if the heroine didn't have a fraught, traumatic past.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Makes sense, wouldn't be Whedon if the heroine didn't have a fraught, traumatic past.

Pretty much every comic book heroine (except for Hellcat I guess) has a fraught, traumatic past though. Even Red Sonja (until Gail "dark and gritty" Simone thankfully erased the "rape gives you super powers" part of her backstory).

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Timby posted:

So ... The Santa Clause?

Or Green Lantern

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

Like Venom?

Alhazred posted:

(except for Hellcat I guess)

Hellcat movie would be super fun.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The combination of the last few posts have given me the realization that Santa Claus is just a generous Venom symbiote.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The thing they never really address in the classic Tim Allen Holiday film "The Santa Clause" is that the business card that Santa carries binds the person that finds it into servitude as Santa.

This raises several important questions:

1) What happened before business cards existed? Is the card itself magic or just the vessel for a general Christmas spell that has been transferred over time?

2) What happens if Santa Clause dies and nobody is around to receive the card?

3) What happens if a woman picks up the card? (The sequel establishes that there is a "Mrs. Clause" that requires the male Clause to bind a woman into his sexual service. This strongly implies that the card would not work on a woman. What happens to the card in this scenario? The film establishes that there "must always be a Santa Clause.")

4) Is the soul that is bound through the spell/curse immortal from natural causes?

5) Who was the first Santa and how did he know to initiate this contingency plan?

6) The "Clause" personality overtakes the previous host's personality. Since the host loses control of their body and mind, does this make the Clause effectively a death sentence for the host?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

For 6) I think the third movie is about him finding a replacement. Presumably he can remove the suit through sonic vibrations.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
All questions to be answered in Ridley Scott's third Prometheus movie

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

How is the Clause host body chosen again? Is it whoever kills Santa or does it find a worthy person in the area like a Green Lantern ring? I guess what I'm asking is if an unrepentant killer murdered Santa, would the Clause persona still choose that person? Would it slowly take over even a deranged murderer and turn them into Jolly Old Saint Nick?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

parallelodad posted:

For 6) I think the third movie is about him finding a replacement. Presumably he can remove the suit through sonic vibrations.

The third movie reveals that there is an "Escape Clause" that reverses time to the instant that the previous Santa was killed. In this scenario, after the time travel event, the host would have never actually been bound into service as the Clause.

He eventually is able to travel back in time again and re-enact the previous timeline. He becomes the Santa Clause once again and the timeline is reverted back to the original sequence.

Once he becomes Santa again, it is implied that he serves for eternity and no replacement is needed until his death (assumed to be from unnatural causes as he is no longer able to age as the Clause).

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

5) Who was the first Santa and how did he know to initiate this contingency plan?

How does a fungi know to produce a spore? It's simply a biological imperative. The obvious parallels to the Santa Clause movies are things like Species, Splice, The Fly, and Morgan, about a person at war with their strange new powers and compulsions.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Lobok posted:

How is the Clause host body chosen again? Is it whoever kills Santa or does it find a worthy person in the area like a Green Lantern ring? I guess what I'm asking is if an unrepentant killer murdered Santa, would the Clause persona still choose that person? Would it slowly take over even a deranged murderer and turn them into Jolly Old Saint Nick?

The canon established in the first movie is as follows:

- When Santa dies of unnatural causes, whomever puts on his coat and reads the card within it becomes the new Santa.

- The host slowly transforms physically and mentally into Santa Clause.

(Scott Calvin eventually becomes Jolly St. Nick and insists that this has been his given name for his entire life. He then abandons his wife and children to go to the North Pole. He also remarries another woman in the sequel by tricking her into accepting the "Mrs. Clause" that causes her to transform into the host's mate and fall in love with him.)

The Santa Clause 2: Mrs. Clause also skirts around the issue of consent. The "Mrs. Clause" previously had no romantic feelings for Santa or his host Scott Calvin. She is tricked into accepting the Clause and compelled to love him. She births a child fathered by Santa Clause, but was the child conceived in rape? Mrs. Clause fell pregnant knowingly and voluntarily, but would she have done so without the influence of the Clause?

Most societies today acknowledge that even acts that are consensual at the time can be considered rape if the victim is not of sound mind. There was also deception involved in getting her to a state where she would consent. She was not previously informed of all of the ramifications of accepting the Clause.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 31, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He was already divorced from his wife with only weekends with his kid when he took on the mantle of Claus. His kid became an accessory to his Clausing.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

http://i.imgur.com/j06btcd.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/rRPUj3R.gifv

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I never noticed the joke in that second clip. Good stuff.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I love how Supes eyes hurt a bit after doing that poo poo. I think Zod goes through some pain doing it as well.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

War Machine is cheating, he got infinite ammo on.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I unironically love all of Cavill's acting here.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Wait, did you snip a cut out of that Civil War footage or does it literally go from "War Machine gets knocked into a truck mid-flight" to "War Machine fires all his guns" with zero actual connective tissue or even him rising into the frame or even a loving cutaway to anything else

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

What is it agbout the first clip that makes it seem so...stupid? It's so clunky and awkward somehow.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The Cameo posted:

Wait, did you snip a cut out of that Civil War footage or does it literally go from "War Machine gets knocked into a truck mid-flight" to "War Machine fires all his guns" with zero actual connective tissue or even him rising into the frame or even a loving cutaway to anything else

I pick the start and end points for the clips, of course, but I always leave everything in between them as it is in the movie to try to be fair.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sir Kodiak posted:

I pick the start and end points for the clips, of course, but I always leave everything in between them as it is in the movie to try to be fair.

On this clip in particular it was kind of hard to tell where it begins and ends, it's like an infinite loop.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

parallelodad posted:

it was kind of hard to tell where it begins and ends, it's like an infinite loop

Welcome to the MCU.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

parallelodad posted:

On this clip in particular it was kind of hard to tell where it begins and ends, it's like an infinite loop.

I just had a weird mental association of Infinite Loop - Mobius Strip - Mobius - Sonic the Hedgehog and remembered that Tim Miller left Deadpool 2 to do a Sonic the Hedgehog movie.

I just googled to check in on it and they apparently released a bunch of new details about the movie that somehow make it even weirder.

It's going to be an animation/live action hybrid.

quote:

Sonic the Hedgehog is set to star in his first feature film, which will be produced by Sony Pictures and combine live-action with animation. In a statement, Sega chief executive, Hajime Saito, confirmed the movie is set for release in 2018.

quote:

"Sega Sammy Group is currently planning with Sony Pictures to create a live-action and animation hybrid Sonic The Hedgehog movie scheduled for release in 2018," he said, speaking to The World Folio.

quote:

Crush 40 lead singer Johnny Gioeli also hinted that he was involved with the upcoming film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

• Locked thread