Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The screens aren't actually the power hungry parts of the GameGear/Lynx/Nomad, it's that the actual console part still draws more power than an entire SNES. All three of these handhelds run at around 850ma even without a screen, while the SNES will run as low as 600ma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Back in 2010, someone made a Sonic 2 romhack that added Yoshi, and someone put it out recently.

https://twitter.com/Ktr4ks/status/847528051776909313

It's super neat, but I can't get it working on my Mega Everdrive. The intro and menu screen work, but it dies after hitting Start.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Holy smokes! That's a shame that it won't work on real hardware.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Someone get that romhack to trihex like ASAP, I need to see that thing speedrun by the yoshi man

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
So SGGG looks pretty cool. I wish I spoke Japanese. I tried to use google translate's live translation on the screen but it was too wonky.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Elliotw2 posted:

The screens aren't actually the power hungry parts of the GameGear/Lynx/Nomad, it's that the actual console part still draws more power than an entire SNES. All three of these handhelds run at around 850ma even without a screen, while the SNES will run as low as 600ma.

2 of those 3 are a home console shoved into a portable case of course.

That said 850 ma with the screen off for the Lynx doesn't really sound right, as the official power adapter only supplied 1000 ma. And the official 6 D cell battery pack would run 20 hours with the screen backlight on, from a total energy storage with normal alkalines of about 144 watthours. That works out to about an 800 ma draw at the 9 volt input.

With 6 AA batteries as the Lynx normally has, it gets like 3-4 hours with the screen on using modern normal alkalines. That means about 20 watt hours of energy stored, 5 to 6.66 watts drawn at a time, for about 550 to 740 ma at 9 volts. The Lynx II has some minor changes that usually add another hour to the battery life for even less power draw.

On top of that, a lot of people have used replacement power supplies of 9 volt @ 500 milliamp and had their Lynxes work fine. So I really don't think the Lynx is drawing 850 ma without the screen/backlight connected.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

GutBomb posted:

So SGGG looks pretty cool. I wish I spoke Japanese. I tried to use google translate's live translation on the screen but it was too wonky.

Yeah, I was hoping the fan translation would come through, but it fizzled out years ago.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Ya, I never got why Milon's Secret Castle got a bad rap. Maybe I just enjoyed bad games growing up because they were cheap and thats what I got and didn't know any better.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FireMrshlBill posted:

Ya, I never got why Milon's Secret Castle got a bad rap. Maybe I just enjoyed bad games growing up because they were cheap and thats what I got and didn't know any better.

I think the main complaint​ is that there are no tells for how or where keys spawn so you practically have to bubble every square to find the keys to progress. Don't hear that same complaint for Zelda though :shrug:

I also think there are some secret doors that send you right back to the beginning? Am I remembering that right?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

xamphear posted:

Back in 2010, someone made a Sonic 2 romhack that added Yoshi, and someone put it out recently.

It's super neat, but I can't get it working on my Mega Everdrive. The intro and menu screen work, but it dies after hitting Start.

Wow, they even got the fuzzy trip to work. 68k wizardry.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mak0rz posted:

I think the main complaint​ is that there are no tells for how or where keys spawn so you practically have to bubble every square to find the keys to progress. Don't hear that same complaint for Zelda though :shrug:

I also think there are some secret doors that send you right back to the beginning? Am I remembering that right?

I think Milon's Secret Castle had several instances where you needed a specific item to progress, but getting to the shopkeeper with the proper item required a ton of backtracking if you didn't know you needed it. Eg there's elevators that need you to have a feather to use them, but to get over to the nearest store that sells them takes several minutes of backtracking, more if you're playing it the first time with no guides and had to try to figure out which store has them.

And yeah there were secret doors that would send you far back (not sure if it was the beginning) and while they're helpful sometimes, a first time player is mostly not going to be helped.

Though I've never seen people say the game is bad about this, but rather stuff along the lines of "milon's secret castle is fun, but it pulls a bunch of dick moves so it's only an average game overall".

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

xamphear posted:

This is so cool. I couldn't find it on romhacking.net. Could you link me to the patch or pm me info on how to obtain it?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

fishmech posted:

I think Milon's Secret Castle had several instances where you needed a specific item to progress, but getting to the shopkeeper with the proper item required a ton of backtracking if you didn't know you needed it. Eg there's elevators that need you to have a feather to use them, but to get over to the nearest store that sells them takes several minutes of backtracking, more if you're playing it the first time with no guides and had to try to figure out which store has them.

And yeah there were secret doors that would send you far back (not sure if it was the beginning) and while they're helpful sometimes, a first time player is mostly not going to be helped.

Though I've never seen people say the game is bad about this, but rather stuff along the lines of "milon's secret castle is fun, but it pulls a bunch of dick moves so it's only an average game overall".

Yeah, there's a lot of stuff that's not conveyed in game, and maybe not even the manual, and a couple of dick moves thrown in. All of which I chalk up to it being a fairly early release ('86?). That said it was perfect for little kid me that loved discovering weird stuff and didn't mind banging against a brick wall all night.

It also got pretty much a straight port to Gameboy which got me irrationally excited at the time.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

The levels are small enough that having to shoot everywhere to find things isn't that big of deal. I think the big problem is that the game hides things that are needed to move forward right from the start and you have to understand how the game hides shops in order to even get started.

fishmech posted:

That's not a bad way to put it, though I think its dick moves aren't totally game destroying.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Legacy of the Wizard is what I imagine Milon + Castlequest to be if they were a well designed game. It's still hard and full of secret bullshit but you can actually map out your progression and there's a consistent logic to it.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Mak0rz posted:

I remember thinking the Lynx was the raddest thing ever.

You could flip it upside down to accommodate lefties! Lefties that have probably already learned how to play videogames in the "standard" configuration long by then!

As a left handed person I can indeed confirm this is true. It never became a problem until the Wii though where I got rid of Redsteel super quick because of it. Years of gaming have taught me the controls to move your character are on the left and I can't do super precise remote control with my right and switching them feels even more wrong. Link's Crossbow Training was an issue too on levels where you had to move Link as well, and I don't recall the Zapper shell helping much.

A bonus side effect of this is being unreasonably annoyed that Link got made right handed in Twilight Princess Wii because goddammit outside of Ringo Starr he's the most famous left handed person we got! Don't take this away from us!

I got over it... mostly.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Ofecks posted:

Well you dodged a bullet (!), Korean shmups (KR arcade games in general, really) are lovely. Looks like the gameplay and UI are ripped from Psikyo games.

You should have a vert cabinet anyway. Buy another one :retrogames:

A candy cabinet is on my list for when I have a bit more room. My current cabinet is already in an obnoxious position. Luckily a big red kind of matches the red walls of my rental unit.

d0s posted:

uhh yeah don't buy that or anything like it; if you want a cheap shooter that's decent the first aerofighters is always like $50

also your cab probably can play vertical games, you just need to rotate the monitor. if you post a pic of your cab or the model I can tell you for sure but its usually easy

I've got a collection of decent shmups already. Gigawing, 1944 loop master, Aero Fighters 2, Blazing Star, and a dumb but fun shmup, Captain Tomaday. I mostly was interested in that because I'm a huge fan of Starcraft. Plain jamma boards are ugly and don't store well, so it's easy to skip. As long as I'm sober.

Rotating my monitor won't be easy in this cabinet.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Yeah since there were no official vert games for Neo Geo (the only one is a homebrew from a few years ago), those cabs are definitely not meant to have rotated monitors. I wouldn't bother. I'd say you're better off replacing it with a candy cab that's easily rotatable so you can play any game on it.

You'd better believe I'd be drawn to a Warcraft shmup, but if it's made by Korea/China/TW, I'd still be hesitant. The StarCraft one is available to play in MAME, so you can try it out at least.

e: Tried it, it's pretty boring, lots of the same enemies over and over. But maybe that's because I've never played SC so I didn't recognize them. Played as Zerg, the charge shot was really neat. Also all the enemies (even the popcorn) have life bars, that's a thing I don't think I've ever seen in an arcade shmup. Difficulty seems to be a lot easier than the Psikyo shmups it's based upon. Overall it's the quality I was expecting from a KR game - not that good.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 1, 2017

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

RZA Encryption posted:

This is so cool. I couldn't find it on romhacking.net. Could you link me to the patch or pm me info on how to obtain it?
Just click through to the tweet. A bunch of replies are links to it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

A buddy just told me about this device called an OSSC. It's apparently a whole lot cheaper than the Framemeister. What's the downside?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Mak0rz posted:

A buddy just told me about this device called an OSSC. It's apparently a whole lot cheaper than the Framemeister. What's the downside?

It's cheaper than a Framemeister because it's a line doubler and not a scaler.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mak0rz posted:

This in-depth review of the OSSC explains the differences fairly well: https://www.videogameperfection.com/2016/07/08/source-converter-verdict/

In short, if progressive scan (so, native 480P from most recent DVDs) DVD players look bad on your TV, you still need a Framemeister.
If progressive scan DVD players look fine on your TV, your TV's internal scaler works well enough that an OSSC makes sense instead, because it'll line-double and smooth out framerate issues enough to do the hard part for your TV.

The OSSC also has the potential to have a little less display lag than a framemeister in some situations, and little more in others, so that's basically just a wash.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

There's a piece of merchandise I've been trying to dig up for a while now, but apparently finding kids games from the 1990's in Japan is pretty much impossible:

But while poking a few possible search terms looking for a copy (it really does look like a fun dexterity game to me), I found this piece of merchandise that I thought people might appreciate:

You have to get multiple trays and fill them with different flavors of Kool-Aide!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It seems to occasionally pop up on Yahoo Japan once in a blue moon but it looks like a nostalgia laced collectible you'll be fighting Japanese collectors more than Western. There's a bunch of toy blogs featuring it. Balance Game Super Puyopuyo バランスゲームす~ぱ~ぷよぷよ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ljtIfdYh6Q

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

I've been trying to beat Castlevania for ~10 years on and off, and today I finally did it. I'm not good at video games.

My main takeaways:

1. Dracula can suck it, I have him downloaded

2. I need an RGB famicom.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

worthless. posted:

2. I need an RGB famicom.

I got mine today!

I don't have an adapter or an appropriate everdrive, so I can't play anything yet :(

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

TheMadMilkman posted:

I got mine today!

I don't have an adapter or an appropriate everdrive, so I can't play anything yet :(

I'm jealous. You know what? I'm gonna go to Monitor Burn's thread and put my chips down right now.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Go on google maps for a retro game surprise.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

It seems to occasionally pop up on Yahoo Japan once in a blue moon but it looks like a nostalgia laced collectible you'll be fighting Japanese collectors more than Western. There's a bunch of toy blogs featuring it. Balance Game Super Puyopuyo バランスゲームす~ぱ~ぷよぷよ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ljtIfdYh6Q

I don't even know if it's something Japanese collectors are looking for since copies become available so rarely that I can't even see what they sell for. It could be highly sought after rare collectable or it could be twenty year old junk that nobody cares about and just threw out. There really aren't that many blogs that talk about the game, most of my results regardless of term return people talking about just Puyo Puyo rather than the board game which tells me that Google had to drop the "balance" part before I was off the first page of results.

I'm hoping it's just been kind of disposable and I'll someday find a copy that someone has cleaned out of their attic.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

Kelp Plankton posted:

Someone get that romhack to trihex like ASAP, I need to see that thing speedrun by the yoshi man

tell him to put a shirt on, god hes gay.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Nonviolent J posted:

tell him to put a shirt on, god hes gay.

Twitch already told him like 2 and a half years ago.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

azurite posted:

Holy smokes! That's a shame that it won't work on real hardware.

Why won't it work on real hardware?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

We're allowed to talk about Yoshi in Sonic 2? The level transition or title card crashes the real hardware. ROM mirror here.Try the special stage and Tails.

It's a great hack but a little unfinished. I imagine xeno (iirc) wanted to add end of level results screens and clean up some spots.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 1, 2017

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Heran Bago posted:

We're allowed to talk about Yoshi in Sonic 2?
On the internet, genies have a remarkable habit of not going back into the lamp.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Heran Bago posted:

We're allowed to talk about Yoshi in Sonic 2? The level transition or title card crashes the real hardware. ROM mirror here.Try the special stage and Tails.

It's a great hack but a little unfinished. I imagine xeno (iirc) wanted to add end of level results screens and clean up some spots.

I'm kind of curious if this'll work on the RetroFreak. I'll try it later today, energy/son's nap permitting.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
I expect it would work on anything that's ultimately an emulator at heart. But on my actual Genesis, it locks up without fail.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Is this an okay place to ask for assistance with Retro Pie? I ask because I'm having a weird issue with detecting controllers and I haven't found a more appropriate thread, if there is one please direct me to it, if there isn't, please hear me out.

I built my first Raspberry Pi specifically for Retro Pie by following this guide. The first controller I paired was a Wii U Pro (henceforth, Pro) over a wired connection. After all the initial boot stuff happened, emulation station prompted me to press any button on a controller to configure it and I pressed a button on my Pro and it was detected as the correct type of controller, I configured it without issue, and it worked in games. I then decided to try it over Bluetooth. I paired it to the R Pi, but in game there was just a bit of noticeable input lag and it was also giving the system random inputs. Games would reboot, close out to the list of games, etc.

Here's where things get weird.

I went back into the bluetooth menu, disconnected my Pro controller, shutdown my Pi, plugged in my Pro controller, turned the Pi back on, and when emulation station showed me the controller configuration screen my Pro could not be detected. No buttons will work. I tried my other Pro controller, same deal. I plugged in a PS3 controller I had configured over a wired connection earlier and it worked okay. Next, I repaired the first Pro to my Wii U, turned off my Wii U, plugged the controller into my Pi, and turned on the Pi. Still will not detect over a wired connection. I then paired it over BT to the Pi again and it was working. Still had lag and was still getting random inputs.

Now things get really weird.

I disconnect the Pro controller from BT this time and then the four red lights on top of my PS3 controller start to flash and no controllers at this point can be connected over a wired connection. Out of ideas I shut down the Pi, reformatted the SD card, re-imaged Retro Pie and started over. The loving thing still will not detect wired Pro controllers but I got my PS3 and PS4 controllers connected with wires and they're working as intended. I'd love to use my Pro controllers because the Sony controllers D-pads are garbage compared to the one on the Pro. I'm out of ideas. Any suggestions?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The Wii U Pro controller doesn't support wired connections at all. USB only provides power.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

The Wii U Pro controller doesn't support wired connections at all. USB only provides power.

That's bizarre that I even got it to connect through a wire then? Well this is good to know I guess I'll just scrap using a wired Pro controller. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

DoctorWhat posted:

What.

• Locked thread